• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Launch Trailer

I always thought Jensen's voice actor sounded a little like Timothy Oliphant.

Looking forward to this. I know the trailer needed to be action heavy, but I'm hoping the stealth and dialogue options from the first game are returning.

dmshaposv

Im so happy Eidos montreal doesnt listen to Deus Ex original fans. JC Denton's voice is corny and generic compared to Adam Jensen's distinctice gravelly voice. Yes it sounds a bit goofy at times, but it has so much more personality.

I've been trying to avoid day 1 purchases this year but man is this tempting. Reviews could make or break my impulse to buy. I loved HR (and the soundtrack) and this looks like it's shaping up to scratch the same itch.

FelipeMGM

I've been trying to avoid day 1 purchases this year but man is this tempting. Reviews could make or break my impulse to buy. I loved HR (and the soundtrack) and this looks like it's shaping up to scratch the same itch.

A good thing is that reviews will be out ~19h & 40min so there will be still some time to decide a day one purchase or not

Rektash

Trailer made it look like a shooter targeted at the badass, epic crowd. Oh well, ...

Pretty disappointing launch trailer in my book.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Crazy to think how many people complained about his voice when HR launched. I always loved it.

"I never asked for this....., she was taken from me... I'll never stop looking" Was corny as hell but it stuck out and was unique in it's specific brand of corniness. Whenever I see the phrase I always hear in precisely how he said it.

Lime

I really wish there was a new protagonist, Adam sucks.

Agreed, it's the primary reason I'm skipping this until it goes on $10 sale as a GOTY edition. I'm so underwhelmed by AAA sequels featuring yet again scruffy white dudes with traumatic pasts. Dude already had his story and his arc ended.

And his character and design just tells me that all he lacks is a fedora to complete his look.

Deadbeat

Banned
Im so happy Eidos montreal doesnt listen to Deus Ex original fans. JC Denton's voice is corny and generic compared to Adam Jensen's distinctice gravelly voice. Yes it sounds a bit goofy at times, but it has so much more personality.
Original deus ex fans weren't complaining. I'm pretty sure those were the people that ran the memes into the ground. The people that complained were new players to the franchise and completely missed the greatness of hamming it up.

I'm in the pro-Adam camp, but I have mixed feelings about him being back in Mankind Divided. He's a cool character but I thought HR wrapped up his story arc nicely.

sirap

I'm in the pro-Adam camp, but I have mixed feelings about him being back in Mankind Divided. He's a cool character but I thought HR wrapped up his story arc nicely.

He's such an important character in the lore though. The first human capable of accepting augs without rejecting them. If they wanted to continue with this timeline but use a different character, I feel like they'd come up with something lame like a clone.

Lime

Familiarity for consumers and risk aversion in a multimillion dollar project are the most likely factors for why we are seeing him yet again.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
On the subject of Jensin camp or not. I'm in the indifferent camp I guess and won't care much if they killed him off and gave someone else a shot.

ehead

This trailer is what tipped me over to just buy it. Gahd. Jensen's voice. Too sexy.

Oh and rewatching the 101 trailer earlier... Can't wait for this.

He's such an important character in the lore though. The first human capable of accepting augs without rejecting them. If they wanted to continue with this timeline but use a different character, I feel like they'd come up with something lame like a clone.

I see what you did there.

EGM1966

ohmy.gif

Will be getting. Shame they didn't do as good a job re-booting Thief as Deus Ex. Maybe I'm being greedy but I hope they try again with that franchise.

Will be getting new PC soon so will probably delay purchase until then (and drop off internet to avoid spoilers).

Timeaisis

Looks great.

I just now realized I have very little recollection of what happened during DXHR other than having a big conspiracy thing going on. Not that it matters, I guess.

robosllim

Been rushing through DXHR for the last week to try to beat it again before Mankind Divided comes out. I'm just finishing up in Hengsha, so I think I'll be alright.

I got on the hype train a bit late, but now it's full steam ahead! I'm not quite as excited for this as I was for MGSV, I did pre-order it so that's still a pretty high excitement level.

Glass

If this gets good reviews, hype levels are about to go through the roof.

With Edge we're off to a good start.

Sanctuary

Preordered the game a few days ago, but I most likely won't even get to start playing until after the 1st of next month. :(
Probably just replay HR in the meantime, since it's been a while, and I never finished the Director's Cut.

ohmy.gif

Will be getting. Shame they didn't do as good a job re-booting Thief as Deus Ex. Maybe I'm being greedy but I hope they try again with that franchise.

Will be getting new PC soon so will probably delay purchase until then (and drop off internet to avoid spoilers).

I think that has more to do with public interest in an almost purely stealth game. You could play that way if you wanted in Deus Ex, but you could also go guns blazing. Then there's also Dishonored (which I actually found quite boring) that essentially already remade Thief for the "modern" crowd.

Dalibor68

Banned
Familiarity for consumers and risk aversion in a multimillion dollar project are the most likely factors for why we are seeing him yet again.

Judging by the all the games' media I've seen I kind of doubt that. It seems to me they wanted Adam Jensen to develop from the "I didn't ask for this"-Newcomer in HR to a hardened operative who has his own agenda in MD. That goes hand in hand with the story development as well, where augs were still "hip" in HR and now in MD we're starting to see the what they call the "mechanical apartheid". To me that all seems like they have kind of planned something like a three-game-arc - this "Deus Ex Universe" they talked about.

Of course I could be wrong.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "sequels featuring yet again scruffy white dudes" - Adam Jensen is an established, iconic character that was very well received by critics and the fanbase alike, so when they decide to make a direct sequel to HR with the same character of course they are not going to suddenly change that character's main characteristics/looks. It would be a different story if it was set in 2060 with a new arc and the main character was a white toughguy Andrew Jonson, just awoken from amnesia - I'd see your point then.

Zolo

There was already foreshadowing in 'Missing Link' that Adam would come back, so it was done from the start.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Judging by the all the games' media I've seen I kind of doubt that. It seems to me they wanted Adam Jensen to develop from the "I didn't ask for this"-Newcomer in HR to a hardened operative who has his own agenda in MD. That goes hand in hand with the story development as well, where augs were still "hip" in HR and now in MD we're starting to see the what they call the "mechanical apartheid". To me that all seems like they have kind of planned something like a three-game-arc - this "Deus Ex Universe" they talked about.

Of course I could be wrong.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "sequels featuring yet again scruffy white dudes" - Adam Jensen is an established, iconic character that was very well received by critics and the fanbase alike, so when they decide to make a direct sequel to HR with the same character of course they are not going to suddenly change that character's main characteristics/looks. It would be a different story if it was set in 2060 with a new arc and the main character was a white toughguy Andrew Jonson, just awoken from amnesia - I'd see your point then.

Your wrong. Game informer did a podcast with the director (I believe that was his title?) and he specially said they brought him back because it's insanely hard to create an iconic character that can lift an IP and they knew they needed to leverage it instead of start from scratch. Adams story in HR was a full complete story, they weren't thinking about the next one when making it. Apparently there were several key staff members that were admintly against brining him back but eventually came around as they got further into development.

You can listen to the podcast here: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podca...-edition-podcast-deus-ex-mankind-divided.aspx

27:45 is where they talk about it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
If this gets good reviews, hype levels are about to go through the roof.

With Edge we're off to a good start.
There is not a snow chance in hell this will get bad reviews. I put this on the same level as Fallout where it can take a giant shit on the player and it'll still get good reviews. The difference though, is that Deux Ex is actually enjoyable to play and most likely a good game. :)

NIN90

heh

Are reviews going up at midnight or later? If this is anywhere near as good as the last game, it's going to be amazing.

But I liked Invisible War, so my standards are not high.

Top Bottom