• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - New previews, impressions thread

They mentioned a while back that they are not sticking with one specific ending.
Yeah it sounds like for the story it's kinda a mix of Taggart and Darrow endings more than the Sarif one based on the sort of pro-aug/anti-aug division, the new regulations, and the general allusion to the Illumaniti having a bigger role and more power now. The 'blame the Humanity Front' Sarif ending sounds the least used... Then also the 'blow shit up' ending too kinda even used maybe because the first DXMD trailer showed Jensen floating in the ocean, or so it looked at least. So I guess basically, a bit of everyone's message got out (Taggart, Darrow, then Sarif) and Jensen still blew shit up.

Wish they'd build the game into a sort of ME trilogy where more choices, characters, etc transferred between games. Things like, did Spyboy save Flygirl; did you work with or spy on Tong; did you kill Belltower's Khan at all the different opportunities (Alice Garden Pods, Tai Yong Medical offices, Belltower port office).

For a game that does a great choice of giving player choice, it would be interesting if they tried to leverage it more between games. A sort of Adam Jensen trilogy, if you will, before we catch up to the Dentons.

Kinyou

In one of the first gameplay demos, there was no black screen separating the cutscene, but in one of the later gameplay videos, the black screen returned. Haven't watched much of this footage so not sure how it is here, but I'm assuming from your comment that the black screen is there.
Yeah unfortunately the screen goes dark for a second

Simo

They mentioned a while back that they are not sticking with one specific ending.

Yeah it sounds like for the story it's kinda a mix of Taggart and Darrow endings more than the Sarif one based on the sort of pro-aug/anti-aug division, the new regulations, and the general allusion to the Illumaniti having a bigger role and more power now. The 'blame the Humanity Front' Sarif ending sounds the least used... Then also the 'blow shit up' ending too kinda even used maybe because the first DXMD trailer showed Jensen floating in the ocean, or so it looked at least. So I guess basically, a bit of everyone's message got out (Taggart, Darrow, then Sarif) and Jensen still blew shit up.

Wish they'd build the game into a sort of ME trilogy where more choices, characters, etc transferred between games. Things like, did Spyboy save Flygirl; did you work with or spy on Tong; did you kill Belltower's Khan at all the different opportunities (Alice Garden Pods, Tai Yong Medical offices, Belltower port office).

For a game that does a great choice of giving player choice, it would be interesting if they tried to leverage it more between games. A sort of Adam Jensen trilogy, if you will, before we catch up to the Dentons.

The PC Gamer preview mentions the endings:
http://www.pcgamer.com/taking-on-th..._source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Basically they were going to have your save state carry over from HR to DXMD but switching up to a new engine and everything meant the idea was scrapped. Canon wise regarding which ending you chose:
It doesn't matter. Jensen chose to broadcast one of them before Panchea collapsed but with the Aug Incident happening nobody heard it.
So it's the rumors surrounding Panchea as well as the Aug Incident that spurs on the events in Mankind Divided.

Still another month to go. Trying not to watch much of it, already got my completely useless physical steelbook for PC coming that probably doesn't even contain any game data on the disc.

Mifec

The PC Gamer preview mentions the endings:
http://www.pcgamer.com/taking-on-th..._source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Basically they were going to have your save state carry over from HR to DXMD but switching up to a new engine and everything meant the idea was scrapped. Canon wise regarding which ending you chose:
It doesn't matter. Jensen chose to broadcast one of them before Panchea collapsed but with the Aug Incident happening nobody heard it.
So it's the rumors surrounding Panchea as well as the Aug Incident that spurs on the events in Mankind Divided.
that kinda makes sense.
Do you have a link? I haven't heard of a PC Steelbook.

god damn that avatar is good.

Regginator

Do we know if there's a toggle on PC to completely remove the HUD? Or at least the option to disable individual HUD aspects (e.g. mini-map, mission objectives, pointers, etc.)

Do you have a link? I haven't heard of a PC Steelbook.

Edit:

Maybe you're talking about this? I guess it's just in Australia?

That's the edition I am getting ye although that link is borked until you delete all of the stuff after "PC"

Do we know if there's a toggle on PC to completely remove the HUD? Or at least the option to disable individual HUD aspects (e.g. mini-map, mission objectives, pointers, etc.)

We don't know, but Human Revolution had all of that stuff iirc.

god damn that avatar is good.

Thank you! :)

Your avatar is pretty cool as well, is that Big Boss crossed with Aladdin Sane/David Bowie?

I loved Human Revolution so why am I so indifferent to this game right now?

Maybe it's because we still don't really know that much about its scope or story? I do admit that gameplay wise I wish it looked more evolved from HR than it is, but even if it is just a much more polished and content heavy HR it'll be great. Biggest thing I'd want improved upon is to have more and even bigger city hubs like Deus Ex 1, and for levels to be more expansive with more freedom to explore outside of semi-cramped buildings. We'll see how it pans out, and it'll be great regardless, but one thing I'd really like is more openness to environments, not just more paths through it.

On a sort of unrelated note, I can't decide whether to get this on PS4 or PC. I don't think my AMD 6950 will be enough to run this that well, so I've been eyeing a relatively cheap upgrade to and AMD RX 470 or 480, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I feel like PC is where Deus Ex belongs, at least for me, and I got HR on PC, it's just that currently my PC is probably not powerful enough to run it much beyond minimum-ish settings. But that's mostly speculation since they still haven't released official requirements (although oddly the PC digital code for the season pass on Amazon displays some).

I also can't decide if the collector's edition is worth it. The statue seems a little unnecessary for me, especially because it could end up being poorly made or otherwise botched, and the art book and steel book don't really justify the significant price difference compared to the standard edition. I seem to recall the "Augmented Edition" of HR being only $20 or $30 more than the standard one, and it seemed like it had more meaningful extras and a better price to value ratio.

The collector's edition of MD could at least include a season pass.. If it had that I'd probably not be conflicted about it. But $80 more for a steelbook, artbook and statue (compared to the "day one edition") is not the greatest value for me at least.

On a sort of unrelated note, I can't decide whether to get this on PS4 or PC. I don't think my AMD 6950 will be enough to run this that well, so I've been eyeing a relatively cheap upgrade to and AMD RX 470 or 480, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I feel like PC is where Deus Ex belongs, at least for me, and I got HR on PC, it's just that currently my PC is probably not powerful enough to run it much beyond minimum-ish settings. But that's mostly speculation since they still haven't released official requirements (although oddly the PC digital code for the season pass on Amazon displays some).

What's your CPU?

What's your CPU?

i5 2500k. I'm pretty sure that I can't upgrade it without getting a new motherboard though. I think i5 2500K and up have really good legs though, so I think it'd mostly be a graphics card bottleneck. This game probably needs at least a little more than 2GB of VRAM, and the 6950 I have only just has that much.

Edit:

That's the edition I am getting ye although that link is borked until you delete all of the stuff after "PC"

Ah, I thought I'd cleaned it up enough by removing the Google URL stuff before the link I wanted. I just copied it from Google on mobile and didn't think it necessary to go back and get the clean URL once I saw how messy it was and got rid of what I though was most important to remove.

As for HUD stuff, I think that maybe even the console versions could disable outlines and other things. I personally like the game to not have outlines because it makes searching a room less immersive and and too easy. I think that there will likely be a mod capable of removing the minimal even if the game doesn't come with that feature though.

Regginator

Weird that PC Gamer didn't talk about performance and on what rig they played it on. I have good hopes for my 4670K and 7970 GHz Edition, but I would have liked more reassurances. But it's still early, over a month to go...

Correct, but unfortunately no option to disable the mini-map in HR, which automatically detects nearby enemies as well, and for stealth playthroughs I could do without it.

i5 2500k. I'm pretty sure that I can't upgrade it without getting a new motherboard though. I think i5 2500K and up have really good legs though, so I think it'd mostly be a graphics card bottleneck. This game probably needs at least a little more than 2GB of VRAM, and the 6950 I have only just has that much.

2500k will probably be fine, the video card is a question mark but it really depends. The game does run on Xbox 1 after all. I'd be leaning towards PC if I were you, but I buy most of my games on PC. A 470/480 upgrade would be great if you could afford it.

213372bu

Banned
For whatever reason, whenever press gets this unanimously positive I almost instinctively get worried and lower my hype.

Hopefully the game comes out as amazing as it's said to be.

A-V-B

For whatever reason, whenever press gets this unanimously positive I almost instinctively get worried and lower my hype.

I don't have really high expectations for it. I just expect it to be decent and look ridiculously expensive.

Cuz I remember the last time I had high expectations for this series. I got Invisible War.

Weird that PC Gamer didn't talk about performance and on what rig they played it on. I have good hopes for my 4670K and 7970 GHz Edition, but I would have liked more reassurances. But it's still early, over a month to go...

I too want Eidos Montreal to release information about system requirements. It seems like that should be released by now at least, and when you put a PC game up for pre-order it should at least have a touch estimate from the start.

(I also made a reply related to your mini-map question above, if you wanted to check that out. I think HR might have one with the debug tool that was released/discovered, but I'm not sure that runs on the Director's Cut version.)

2500k will probably be fine, the video card is a question mark but it really depends. The game does run on Xbox 1 after all. I'd be leaning towards PC if I were you, but I buy most of my games on PC. A 470/480 upgrade would be great if you could afford it.

Hmm. Thanks for the help. I was thinking of just saving up for an entirely new computer in a couple years, but a cheap upgrade to a much better card might make more sense right now, since my plan was to use the old computer (my current one) for multiplayer with my brother, but the 6950 might be too old to really be competitive by that time..

This is an odd reaction, but I just had flashbacks to pre-release MGSV press and realize that there is a lot of negatives a game can hide until later, so it is good to be cautious. I personally don't think the game and the developers are likely to be hiding an incomplete conclusion or anything though, especially with the amount of talk they've made about the endings being much more improved, nuanced and gradually built towards than with HR.

I think they really strived not to repeat HR's deflating third act, so I wouldn't worry about the game experience being uneven. And with the positive impressions of the early game, I think it'll turn out great. Given how much they've said about improving the bosses and endings, I can't wait to see them.

Simo

Ooo new art on the Playstation blog:
28251040351_1dd2796a4d_o.jpg
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/07/18/deus-ex-mankind-divided-has-something-for-everyone/

Here's the PS Blog video too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTBsBpKIe2Q

Kinda Funny Plays play through:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RpFzc6QZJA

"A side quest sells me on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Fisty

Loved HR, but sorry Jensen I doubt I'll be done with NMS by then

I didn't ask for this
release date

Damn the art of the DX is good...

I still use DXHR concept art as wallpapers, actually... I have one tablet in my office I use just for Bloomberg TV, and it uses the Adam Jensen apartment concept art, and I used the Hengsha concept art on my home laptop for a while.

The game had such great city and weapon design. Enemy design, too... the armor of the Belltower private security, the Tyrants paramilitary group, the general armor of cops or the harvester gang.

It also has two of the cooler SMGs and ARs (though in DX fashion has a boring automatic shotgun lol), and two of the most satisfying handguns in recent memory for feel and feedback.

xandaca

Played through Human Revolution for the second time recently. It's still terrific, with satisfying stealth, weapons and augmentations which are fun to use (even if a few are obviously OP in terms of usefulness), a good variety of alternate routes and nicely worked expansion of the original Deus Ex world. It starts dragging once the hub worlds are brought back a second time each, then completely runs out of ideas for its final stage, but is nevertheless one of the best action games for years.

I'm pleased to see the mini-map is a bit more detailed, my other suggestions would be to make an action-oriented playstyle as rewarding in XP terms as a stealth one, or to make stealth a bit harder (maybe have a time limit before unconscious enemies reawaken) to compensate for the additional bonuses. I like how the game rewards weird thinking, but it can also break the reality a little: when you can stop a human guard from seeing you hack a terminal by conspicuously placing a vending machine in front of him, it's funny and enjoyably video-gamey, but breaks the tone a bit (as opposed to something like Metal Gear, where box-related silliness is part of its tongue-in-cheek style) and it wouldn't hurt if there were a greater number of more 'realistic' ways of getting guards out of position for long enough to perform certain actions. I remember deliberately activating an alarm in the police station to try and clear the place out, which didn't work at the time (everyone just went to high alert) but maybe there could be fire alarms or fuse boxes (etc) you could sabotage to change the environment to your advantage.

Regardless, even if they change nothing, I'm sure it'll be another great game (new font's a bit bland, though) and it sounds like they're doing all the right things.

CHC

Do the ragdolls seem a little weird sometime to anyone else? Some kind of collapse into themselves!

The shooting in general seems pretty crappy. The engine and general feel of gunfights in Human Revolution was pretty terrible so I was hoping that with the new engine it might improve in the sequel, but it still just seems.... off.

Fisty

The shooting in general seems pretty crappy. The engine and general feel of gunfights in Human Revolution was pretty terrible so I was hoping that with the new engine it might improve in the sequel, but it still just seems.... off.

Agreed I didnt even bother with guns until second playthrough, and when I did I spent 1/3 of the game getting used to the shooting. Its weird, kinda off like Fallout 3 on consoles

Pretty I saw POM cobblestones in Prague.
Oh nice (gotta screencap per chance?). I just did not see it in this scenario so I assumed it was not in.
pomfkspr.png

in game area on PS4 (notice the same texture / area not having POM)
vlcsnap-2016-07-19-119csji.png

which looks lioke the no POM version of that texture:
no_pomp4kpe.png

hmmmm i know it's never a good idea buying a season pass but the $79.99 price tag with the gmg voucher is tempting ;_; (although the gmg 20% already died) ;_; is it worth getting the season pass for this? hopefully story dlc and not some bs weapons pack or etc?

Simo

hmmmm i know it's never a good idea buying a season pass but the $79.99 price tag with the gmg voucher is tempting ;_; (although the gmg 20% already died) ;_; is it worth getting the season pass for this? hopefully story dlc and not some bs weapons pack or etc?

We don't know, Eidos and Square Enix haven't announced any details yet. I'd imagine the pass would pertain to both the main game and the Breach mode with extra levels and whatnot.

For Human Revolution they released one major piece of DLC, The Missing Link, that was a pretty sizeable chunk to the point they integrated it as part of the main story in the re-release.

SomTervo

Different development teams, constant departure of talent and shifting visions through a development hell... yeah, definitely not a good recipe.

I feel bad for watching some of the GB footage. I wanna go into this game as fresh as possible.

I'm given to understand that Thief was in development longer than Deus Ex HR, and was stuck in development hell for a very long time. It was helmed by a different team at Eidos Montreal, and while I think some Deus Ex lead designers came over to help the game get finished after HR, the game wasn't completely salvageable because of its troubled history, and clearly not all of their efforts were put on it, since Eidos expanded greatly after the success of HR and it seems most of that expansion was focused on increasing Mankind Divided's development resources.

I hope after MD they can get a new proper Thief game started up, but I can't say I'm sad that they released what they could and moved on from the most recent game. It seems like the development would have just dragged on even worse had they spent more time on it. Since they'll be starting the next project fresh from MD, I think it'll turn out much better.

Shit, I had no idea Thief was by a different team. I thought it was the same team swapping over - which is why I was so confused. I knew about the shifting focus and priorities and how much that hobbled the development.

This is enlightening. Thanks, guys.

Yeah, Thief has so much potential, hopefully they'll re-try and nail it second time around.

SomTervo

Do the ragdolls seem a little weird sometime to anyone else? Some kind of collapse into themselves!

This, and ragdolls no longer have accompanying impact sounds when they hit the ground like they did in HR. Really hurts the sense of weight.

Pretty minor detail for press demonstration purposes - I'm sure they'll fix it during the polishing crunch (i.e. right now before release). You'd be surprised how much games are improved in the last month or two before they hit.

eshwaaz

Pretty minor detail for press demonstration purposes - I'm sure they'll fix it during the polishing crunch (i.e. right now before release). You'd be surprised how much games are improved in the last month or two before they hit.
I hope you're right, but I'd be shocked if they added a sound this close to release. I'd imagine it's content-locked at this point, with only bug testing remaining.

RangerX

Banned
My most anticipated game this gen. Everything I've seen looks amazing. Human revolution was in my top 3 of last gen.

ibn Saïd;210539760 said:
60fps pc footage with keyboard and mouse. seems to have some visual bugs and glitches halfway through, i hope that gets ironed out at release. but in terms of performance it seems solid and fluid, but i have no idea what pc he's playing on.

Very awesome footage. Also a player who knows how to aim and generally move about the game world in a stealthily fashion. Very nice.

Top Bottom