• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - New previews, impressions thread

kswiston

Deus Ex HR was surprisingly good, so I have had high hopes for this one. I sort of wonder if 5 years was too long to wait for the sequel from a sales perspective though. Hopefully not.

GavinUK86

ibn Saïd;210539760 said:
60fps pc footage with keyboard and mouse. seems to have some visual bugs and glitches halfway through, i hope that gets ironed out at release. but in terms of performance it seems solid and fluid, but i have no idea what pc he's playing on.

It's hilarious how you can instantly tell they're aiming with a mouse and not a controller. Looks great though. It's a lot crisper than the console footage we've had so far, unless that's just a higher bitrate video. Looks less murky and blurry.

Edit: Oh I love the new pocket secretary animation!

uUliwSO.gif

Edit 2: Yikes, a lot of visual glitches going on there. The way they happen though remind me of when I had driver problems. Not sure if it was the build of the game of that.

nOoblet16

It's hilarious how you can instantly tell they're aiming with a mouse and not a controller.
It's actually interesting when you think about it and realise that it is to do with the fact that when it comes to stage demos they move the camera really really slow so as to show the level and make it cinematic looking. Even your average console gamer doesn't aim that slow, let alone an experienced one who will most likely play faster.

PC on the other hand you don't really have a choice, it's not really possible to show the level with slow camera movement unless you have a long ass mouse pad while playing at really low sensitivity where the aim reticule will jerk whenever you life the mouse to reset the position on the pad making for a rather "uncinematic" showcase.

I briefly perused some gameplay footage on youtube from the Prague level and was shocked and aghast to see that it took place during the day, which is sacrilege in a Deus Ex game.

JJShadow

I'm really excited for this one, but never played Deus Ex HR. Should I go for it before this one comes out? Directors cut can be bought at a really low price nowadays

Just saw that I have Human Revolution in my PS game library (must've gotten it from PS Plus back when it was free). I never played that game. Is it worth it to play through and does it still hold up well enough?

Vic_Viper

Just saw that I have Human Revolution in my PS game library (must've gotten it from PS Plus back when it was free). I never played that game. Is it worth it to play through and does it still hold up well enough?

Yes, it's a great action RPG with tons of story and open ended gameplay. After the first hour or so the game really opens up and is one of my favorite games from last gen. Just don't go into it thinking it's going to be a great shooter. The gun stuff is good but it's not meant to be played as a tps like Resi 5. More like a Mass Effect meets Metal Gear.

Yes, it's a great action RPG with tons of story and open ended gameplay. After the first hour or so the game really opens up and is one of my favorite games from last gen. Just don't go into it thinking it's going to be a great shooter. The gun stuff is good but it's not meant to be played as a tps like Resi 5. More like a Mass Effect meets Metal Gear.

Thank you very much! Looks like the PS3 is coming back out from under the bed.

Coxy100

Banned
Reading though the thread it looks like a lot of people are referring to a ps4 gameplay vid. Anyone know what the link is for this? (Sorry if it's obvious)

Simo

Reading though the thread it looks like a lot of people are referring to a ps4 gameplay vid. Anyone know what the link is for this? (Sorry if it's obvious)

There's a few. Here's Giant Bombs vid which is on PS4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e09V-A8zk6U

Blim at Gamersyde also has some SHQ vids from the PS4 preview build too:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_preview_deus_ex_mankind_divided-18139_en.html

And finally this one is from Playstation Access:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTBsBpKIe2Q

I've watched a few of these videos and even though it's the same location and missions it's great, and funny, to see how each of these people playing tackle the objectives differently.

I saw one of the videos that had a cool moment in Golem City that I'll spoiler just incase:
When Jensen goes to the "apartment" of a contact in Golem City to can look around his place to find a hidden switch that opens a panel to reveal a laptop. If you hack the laptop and gain access to it you can actually use it's Messenger to have a live chat with the contact's brother and choose the appropriate response like the dialog options.
Thought that was pretty cool and something different not seen in Human Revolution.

That is one obnoxious HUD.

i actually think it looks great, but the mini-map is too big, too revealing and too distracting (and of course the pointer is a turn-off as well).

i hope the pc version is highly customization in that regard, with the option of a completely clean, hud-free toggle. the mini-map is my biggest eyesore.

Surprised so many of you want to see it, a game like this needs to be experienced when you play it.
The previews all show the same level AFAIK. They just seem different because of the multiple ways you can play through said level.

I'm actually glad I saw the previews. It's only got me more hyped.

Surprised so many of you want to see it, a game like this needs to be experienced when you play it.

normally i'd agree, but they've only shown basically two early-game areas (
dubai
and
prague
) but then recycled and reused. i think that's not even the first 15%. nothing i'd consider big spoilers at all, no even regular ones to be honest.

Simo

ibn Saïd;210751860 said:
normally i'd agree, but they've only shown basically two early-game areas (
dubai
and
prague
) but then recycled and reused. i think that's not even the first 15%. nothing i'd consider big spoilers at all, no even regular ones to be honest.

Yeah plus it was great to see it running and looking great on PS4 when all the other videos and previews have been on PC. That and getting a peak at Golem City!

Geist-

Alright, I'm sold. Got the digital deluxe edition for $72 on GMG, I'm pretty surprised since I thought GMG was getting rid of the 20% off preorders.

Alienfan

Love how lived in the environments look, giving me some metro vibes (except better because there are less restrictions on exploration)

I feel the previewers just aren't good at stealthing their way through this game. I've watched several videos of the first hub area and not a single one manages to reach the target without getting detected and killing some of his guards.

Regginator

Really? How so?

Looks pretty clean to me, I get it if you prefer the look of the minimalist approach but Deus Ex has always conveyed a lot of information on the hud.

Correct. MD's hud looks great, it's just the map feels way too big than it should be. I hope there's a HUD scale option, or downright the ability to disable some aspects (of which I think the map is the worst offender).

For reference:

DX1

DXHR

DXMD

Simo

I feel the previewers just aren't good at stealthing their way through this game. I've watched several videos of the first hub area and not a single one manages to reach the target without getting detected and killing some of his guards.

Yup. lol IGN had a "Ghost" play through video but they got spotted and resorted to combat. I was watching some of them and thinking "There's somebody right there looking at you, why are moving in the open?!" and then boom, spotted and alerted. lol

I thought the Playstation Access video was pretty good for how well they did with stealth but even they got spotted a few times and edited it out. lol

Vic_Viper

Are there going to be any reasons to play the multiplayer stuff other than just for the fun of it? Will we get gear or exp that transfers over to the single player?

Top Bottom