• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC performance thread

Xyber

Well, they're both pretty much at 99% all the time, ahaha.

... I wonder if this is it for my 2500k.

2500K was a great CPU, but it is starting to get pretty dated.

Unfortunately the performance gain you will get with the latest i5 won't be as big of a step up as you'd hope it would be after all these years..

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

Unfortunately the performance gain you will get with the latest i5 won't be as big of a step up as you'd hope it would be after all these years..

Yeah, I think I'm going to buy an i7 when I will upgrade.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Has anybody else on PC seen a weird shadows/ambient occlusion bug where when opening a menu, like the main menu, and returning to the game the shadows are bugged out smudgy black blobs that dissapate once you move the camera?

Nvidia hardware, latest drivers. Trying to identify if my 1080 is fucked.

Has anybody else on PC seen a weird shadows/ambient occlusion bug where when opening a menu, like the main menu, and returning to the game the shadows are bugged out smudgy black blobs that dissapate once you move the camera?

That's happened to me once towards the beginning of the game, but hasn't happened since, I'm on a 1070, so I don't think it's your card, probably a game or driver bug.

It happened to me two or three times. Just quit to menu then reload.

Damn, I forgot to turn off my second display this whole time, and was getting about 30fps or less when running this game in both 1080p and 2k, 4k forget about it. I turned off the second display, and BAM, 60 fps in both 1080p and 2k. I get about 20fps-30fps in 4k. I feel so stupid. Running this game on a 980.

Damn, I forgot to turn off my second display this whole time, and was getting about 30fps or less when running this game in both 1080p and 2k, 4k forget about it. I turned off the second display, and BAM, 60 fps in both 1080p and 2k. I get about 20fps-30fps in 4k. I feel so stupid. Running this game on a 980.

Simply having a second monitor connected shouldn't decrease your performance like that.

jorimt

Was about to ask how 40fps is considered "running a treat" then saw you mention freesync. I've not had a chance to use FS or GS in person so I'm wondering how much FPS it can make up for? As in, how low can you go while the game still feels smooth like it's running at 60fps locked?

The experience of G-Sync can't be adequately explained; you have to try it for yourself. And no, 45 fps still feels like 45 fps with no vsync (just without tearing). The minimum native refresh on any G-Sync monitor is still 60 Hz, and G-Sync isn't going to change that.

I can say once you get into the 85-100 Hz range on a 144 Hz G-Sync monitor, it becomes harder and harder to differentiate it from the 120-144 fps range; if you can sustain that 85+ sweet-spot in a demanding game, it really is nice with G-Sync.

Basically, G-Sync allows for a wide and forgiving fps range; just set it and forget it.

Rewind

Depends of the graphics card. I just upgraded from a 2500k to a 6800k and my frame rate more than doubled because my 2500k was bottle necking my card.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I will say nvidias new vsync alternative (is it called fast sync?) is working great. Enabled it via nvinspector and turned off vsync in the game, fees like playing the game without vsync and no tearing at all.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I will say nvidias new vsync alternative (is it called fast sync?) is working great. Enabled it via nvinspector and turned off vsync in the game, fees like playing the game without vsync and no tearing at all.

Yep, I'm playing Human Revolution for the first time and Fast Sync is working great, no tearing and massively reduced the hitching/stutter I was getting, great tech so far and it's not even officially supported yet.

Mindman

Yep, I'm playing Human Revolution for the first time and Fast Sync is working great, no tearing and massively reduced the hitching/stutter I was getting, great tech so far and it's not even officially supported yet.

Isn't Fast Sync only beneficial for ultra high FPS when not using v-sync otherwise?

I mean, sure I only have 8GB of RAM but the game is only using like 6 and half. Why won't it stop stuttering.

And on which surfaces is tessellation applied to? Faces don't look very different with if on (save for the blur).

I don't know if this will work for anyone else, but I was having terrible stuttering in Prague and just turning off cloth physics drastically cut down on the stuttering.

Newboi

My game suddenly crashed when I tried going up the first set of stairs in Golem City. I also got a crash the first time a went to the shooting range. This game definitely has some stability issues. I'm still having alot of fun so far though.

dr_rus

This game in its current state is producing a lot of issues which look like it's h/w error. I've had seen desktop corruption when using an accelerated program (Direct2D) after or alongside the game and I've had my first in a year probably hard lock in this game.

So it's not the best game to judge your h/w stability on as it seems to have some issues either by itself or in combination with 372.54 drivers. Haven't seen any of these issues in other games yet.

I mean, sure I only have 8GB of RAM but the game is only using like 6 and half. Why won't it stop stuttering.

And on which surfaces is tessellation applied to? Faces don't look very different with if on (save for the blur).

The game is using up to 13GB of RAM on Ultra preset and request about 16GB of total memory usage. You're seeing 6.5 because that's the best your system can manage with 1.5 being allocated to background OS tasks. The stuttering is due to lack of RAM. You can try lowering settings to low preset to see if that helps.

leng jai

This game in its current state is producing a lot of issues which look like it's h/w error. I've had seen desktop corruption when using an accelerated program (Direct2D) after or alongside the game and I've had my first in a year probably hard lock in this game.

So it's not the best game to judge your h/w stability on as it seems to have some issues either by itself or in combination with 372.54 drivers. Haven't seen any of these issues in other games yet.

The game is using up to 13GB of RAM on Ultra preset and request about 16GB of total memory usage. You're seeing 6.5 because that's the best your system can manage with 1.5 being allocated to background OS tasks. The stuttering is due to lack of RAM. You can try lowering settings to low preset to see if that helps.

What other modern game comes close to using that much RAM? I don't understand why DE: MD needs so much.

Rewind

With a 6800k, 1080, and 16 gigs of ram, with everything on ultra except shadows, which is at high, The lowest fps I get in the benchmark is 59 fps at 1080p. I have MSAA off.

dr_rus

What other modern game comes close to using that much RAM? I don't understand why DE: MD needs so much.

A lot of modern games are using more than 10GBs actually but in this case I think it has more to do with engine's weakness at streaming as DXMD is the first AAA game of the last several years that I can think of where there are in-game "level" loadings (well, beyond Doom which is very much designed this way). The engine just isn't very good at what they are trying to do with it.

Durante

I just encountered the first ever section outside the benchmark where my FPS (at mostly ultra/1440p) briefly dropped below 60.

I almost didn't notice since it was a dialogue scene, and obviously with the lack of camera movement and the generally great framepacing of the game it's harder to tell. Ultimately, I turned on the FPS overlay primarily because my GPU got a lot more audible than usual -- and indeed, it was sitting at 125% usage with 57 FPS rather than the 80-90% which are common in this game (with a maximum of 60 FPS).

Anyway, the interesting part is that it was only in the dialogue scene.
I went to the same place and looked in the same direction in-game, and easily got a locked 60 FPS with 90% GPU usage.

It seems to me like they are enabling some additional processing in some dialogue scenes and cutscenes, and from the look of things I'd guess it's some kind of additional volumetric light processing (but that's just a guess - might also be DoF).

ISee

With a 6800k, 1080, and 16 gigs of ram, with everything on ultra except shadows, which is at high, The lowest fps I get in the benchmark is 59 fps at 1080p. I have MSAA off.

The benchmark is very unrepresentative. I'm about 18 hours in and no playable portion of the game is as taxing as the bench scene. I'm using the exact same settings as you on my 980 (oc) (shadows high, no chs, no msaa, taa with slight lumasharpen, textures very high, rest on max) and drops below 60 (57-58) are very rare.

That's a lot of ram. I get the odd stutter here and there, but not in the first section of Prague, but when you take the train to another destination ( where Palisade Bank is located) on ultra with 16gb ram. The graphics to be honest still have that HR look to it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That's by design, as it's temporal and most temporal techniques will shimmer, sometimes more, sometimes less. I agree that MD's implementation for TAO is borderline defective. MD's TAA is nice though.

I made a post about this earlier:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=214864809&postcount=1300

High AO is acceptable, Very High isn't currently worth enabling.

That's happened to me once towards the beginning of the game, but hasn't happened since, I'm on a 1070, so I don't think it's your card, probably a game or driver bug.

It happened to me two or three times. Just quit to menu then reload.

Thanks a heap guys for the answers. Two discoveries from testing (one maybe obvious).

1. MSAA fixes the temporal AO, I assume as it is applied to the sampling and greatly increased complexity. Even 2xMSAA will almost fully nullify Ultra AO shimmering. This would explain why MSAA is such a huge performance cost in this game, if its coverage extends to more or less every major shader effect. Using ultra SSR and AO would force MSAA to be applied to that too.

2. 372.54 drivers are fucking shit and bugged on my end. Gonna make a thread with my discoveries.

1. MSAA fixes the temporal AO, I assume as it is applied to the sampling and greatly increased complexity. Even 2xMSAA will almost fully nullify Ultra AO shimmering. This would explain why MSAA is such a huge performance cost in this game, if its coverage extends to more or less every major shader effect. Using ultra SSR and AO would force MSAA to be applied to that too..

This is interesting... I will test it.

edit: I am not seeing a difference with MSAA being on and the temporal stability of Very High AO.

I was only getting around 30 FPS in Prague with Contact Hardening Shadows off on a GTX 1080/6700k setup at 1440p. For some reason, turning them ON bumped me up to 55-60 FPS.

I have no idea why, but I'm not complaining.

Vitor711

I just encountered the first ever section outside the benchmark where my FPS (at mostly ultra/1440p) briefly dropped below 60.

I almost didn't notice since it was a dialogue scene, and obviously with the lack of camera movement and the generally great framepacing of the game it's harder to tell. Ultimately, I turned on the FPS overlay primarily because my GPU got a lot more audible than usual -- and indeed, it was sitting at 125% usage with 57 FPS rather than the 80-90% which are common in this game (with a maximum of 60 FPS).

Anyway, the interesting part is that it was only in the dialogue scene.
I went to the same place and looked in the same direction in-game, and easily got a locked 60 FPS with 90% GPU usage.

It seems to me like they are enabling some additional processing in some dialogue scenes and cutscenes, and from the look of things I'd guess it's some kind of additional volumetric light processing (but that's just a guess - might also be DoF).

Game runs at around 50FPS constant for me but drops to the low 40s in every dialogue scene. They're throwing some more effects there for sure and, honestly, it seems like a smart choice. I don't always notice the drop because of the static camera.

Best drivers for me seem to be the 368.69 release, I'm on a GTX 980 by the way.

Windows 10 64 bit
Core i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
12gb DDR3 1600 RAM

I get pretty good performance overall with the occasional lows in the 45-50 fps range in some areas in Prague but it levels out and indoors or in vents it is almost always 60 FPS.

That is with most settings on their highest with contact hardening shadows turned off since I think they look terrible. TAA. Shadows on High.

Load times are nice and quick after the initial load from the main menu.

EatChildren

edit: I am not seeing a difference with MSAA being on and the temporal stability of Very High AO.

Here's a downsampled GIF from 1440p. Both Very High AO, shimmering without MSAA, stability with 2xMSAA.

1o9sok.gif

Stoze

The benchmark is very unrepresentative. I'm about 18 hours in and no playable portion of the game is as taxing as the bench scene. I'm using the exact same settings as you on my 980 (oc) (shadows high, no chs, no msaa, taa with slight lumasharpen, textures very high, rest on max) and drops below 60 (57-58) are very rare.

Hmm, wonder what's the deal with my setup. I've got a 980ti and i7-6700k, and I'm hovering around 50-55 fps a lot of the time (in Prague). Even with taa and msaa turned off, shadows on med, no chs, nothing on ultra. Benchmark avg. fps I believe was 43 so it's not far off the mark for me.

Game runs at around 50FPS constant for me but drops to the low 40s in every dialogue scene. They're throwing some more effects there for sure and, honestly, it seems like a smart choice. I don't always notice the drop because of the static camera.

I'm guessing it's the hair assuming they're using the same tech as Tomb Raider, which would always cause frame drops if you swung the camera in close to Lara's head.

Here's a downsampled GIF from 1440p. Both Very High AO, shimmering without MSAA, stability with 2xMSAA.

1o9sok.gif
jeebus.
Just tested it again and it would appear you are in fact right. Wow. The first test did not show it so much in the area I was in due to a lack of sub-pixel detail, but it is horribly obvious actually. Even when not moving, the Very High flickers like crazy and has pixels moving in and out (which appears to be the dithered sampling).

Order: Very High AO 0XMSAA, Very High AO 4XMSAA, "ON" AO 4XMSAA

compare_msaa_high_by_dictator93-daftm4e.gif

It would appear tha Very High AO is not being temporally filtered like the high version :( You can see the checkboard pattern dancing about even while sitting still. Also, the lack of local occlusion on the view model also visible in the .gif looks pretty bad IMO when set to "Very High".

I wonder why Adam Jensen becomes invisible in terms of the game world rendering when in first-person mode. He doesn't cast shadows, he doesn't occlude lighting, and he doesn't reflect in mirrors in first-person view. It's only when you're in cover and he's visible on your screen that he does these things.

Even in the 1999 original, JC Denton could see his reflection in mirrors and floors.

Qassim

Welp. I've already altered the movie files with the skip trick from the OP.

Are there backup files out there available? I'd like to restore them.

You could probably just verify cache of the game on Steam and that'll probably restore it.

Right click on the game -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify integrity of game cache

1o9sok.gif

jeebus.
Just tested it again and it would appear you are in fact right. Wow. The first test did not show it so much in the area I was in due to a lack of sub-pixel detail, but it is horribly obvious actually. Even when not moving, the Very High flickers like crazy and has pixels moving in and out (which appears to be the dithered sampling).

Order: Very High AO 0XMSAA, Very High AO 4XMSAA, "ON" AO 4XMSAA

compare_msaa_high_by_dictator93-daftm4e.gif

It would appear tha Very High AO is not being temporally filtered like the high version :( You can see the checkboard pattern dancing about even while sitting still. Also, the lack of local occlusion on the view model also visible in the .gif looks pretty bad IMO when set to "Very High".

Nice find. Requoted for clarity.

hamchan

Game runs pretty good for me now at 1440p high. Turns out ram was the issue. Upgraded from 8gb to 16gb and my stuttering and loading problems are gone. With the game running my current memory usage is around 9gb.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't Fast Sync only beneficial for ultra high FPS when not using v-sync otherwise?

I never use VSync as I can't stand the heavy mouse feel and input delay but in HR it greatly reduces the stutter for me so Fast Sync is perfect, it smoothed out the game nicely and mouse movement feels normal.

Pagusas

Elden Member

It does more than just help above 60fps tearing, it links the screen draw with the monitors refresh rate, at all frequencies. So if your getting 30-35fps like i am with a 770gtx on high, it will draw those frames at the correct timing with the screen without buffering additional frames. There is a bit of performance overhead for it, but its minimal and greatly eclipse by the snappy feeling the game gets without tripple buffering enabled.

Top Bottom