• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DeutschGAF |OT4| ger.mansplaining

Brexit negotiation hype! Faengt heute an.

brxitvcse4.png

Not even joking...

img_01139auzd.png

haha.
Ja, wuerde zu gerne dabei sein, wenn die UK bemerkt, worauf sie sich eingelassen haben. Moechte aber auf der anderen Seite nicht sehen, wie die Tabloids hier das spinnen, um die EU zu verteufeln.

Wird auf jeden Fall ein trainwreck fuer die UK.

Das sind die Dudes die panisch die Straßenseite wechseln, wenn ich im dunkeln vom Feiern zurück komm, weil ich könnt sie ja ausrauben oder vergewaltigen.
Oder die die ununterbrochen Blickkontakt mit Puls 160 halten, wenn sie mich im hellen sehen, weil ich könnt ja plötzlich ein Messer aus der Einkaufstüte gefüllt mit Hähnchenschenkel, Orangensaft, Gurken und Spargel ziehen und sie für Allah töten.

Ladekabel

DerZuhälter;241217245 said:
Das sind die Dudes die panisch die Straßenseite wechseln, wenn ich im dunkeln vom Feiern zurück komm, weil ich könnt sie ja ausrauben oder vergewaltigen.
Oder die die ununterbrochen Blickkontakt mit Puls 160 halten, wenn sie mich im hellen sehen, weil ich könnt ja plötzlich ein Messer aus der Einkaufstüte gefüllt mit Hähnchenschenkel, Orangensaft, Gurken und Spargel ziehen und sie für Allah töten.

Angst vor einem Messer, wenn du 5 andere Gegenstände dabei hast, mit denen du töten kannst. smh

Hallo DeutschGAF!

I had a whole posted typed out in German, but my self-consciousness got the better of me so I'll just post in English. I'm planning a solo trip to Germany and Austria later this year, and have a few questions if you don't mind.

My initial research indicates that Flixbus is the way to go for getting from city to city. Does that sound right? Also I plan at staying at Hostels but don't have much experience with them. Can I just show up and get lodging or should I book them ahead of time? Should I make sure I know which ones to stay at?

I'm a history buff and so far know I want to visit Berlin, Nuremberg, and Salzburg. Are there any definite must-visit cities for me? It will probably be like a 10-day trip.

I'll surely have more questions in the future, but I'm in the very early stages of planning.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Hallo DeutschGAF!

I had a whole posted typed out in German, but my self-consciousness got the better of me so I'll just post in English. I'm planning a solo trip to Germany and Austria later this year, and have a few questions if you don't mind.

My initial research indicates that Flixbus is the way to go for getting from city to city. Does that sound right? Also I plan at staying at Hostels but don't have much experience with them. Can I just show up and get lodging or should I book them ahead of time? Should I make sure I know which ones to stay at?

I'm a history buff and so far know I want to visit Berlin, Nuremberg, and Salzburg. Are there any definite must-visit cities for me? It will probably be like a 10-day trip.

I'll surely have more questions in the future, but I'm in the very early stages of planning.

If you are already in Salzburg, you might as well visit Vienna, especially if you like history. It's really the only other city in Austria worth seeing and it's only ~2:30 hours from Salzburg.
Personally, if you already know where you want to go I would book the hostels in advance, might save you some trouble. I travel quite a lot and I tend to use booking.com.

A lot of hostels even allow you to cancel your reservation without any charges so you can still be flexible as long as you cancel 2-3 days in advance (depends on the hostel, make sure to check that). I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives but I'm pretty happy with that site. Where are you from? Do you plan to fly back or go back by bus/train?

GlamFM

Banned
Hallo DeutschGAF!

Make it Berlin - Leipzig - Nürnberg - Munich - Salzburg.

qQtZ1fP.png

If you are already in Salzburg, you might as well visit Vienna, especially if you like history. It's really the only other city in Austria worth seeing and it's only ~2:30 hours from Salzburg.
Personally, if you already know where you want to go I would book the hostels in advance, might save you some trouble. I travel quite a lot and I tend to use booking.com.

A lot of hostels even allow you to cancel your reservation without any charges so you can still be flexible as long as you cancel 2-3 days in advance (depends on the hostel, make sure to check that). I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives but I'm pretty happy with that site. Where are you from? Do you plan to fly back or go back by bus/train?
I'm from the States, so I'll be flying back regardless. I'm extremely flexible with this whole trip, so it doesn't matter much to me where I fly into/out of.
Make it Berlin - Leipzig - Nürnberg - Munich - Salzburg.]
That seems like a very sensible path! Where would you spend the most time?

Markoman

Make it Berlin - Leipzig - Nürnberg - Munich - Salzburg.

No love for the Rheinland? Sad

If you haven't booked one of those adventure KD tours, you're going to miss Germany at it's best. But don't forget to bring some pepper-spray, the elders you're going to meet on one of those ships are a nasty bunch.

Fantastapotamus

I'm from the States, so I'll be flying back regardless. I'm extremely flexible with this whole trip, so it doesn't matter much to me where I fly into/out of.

If you're gonna fly back anyway think about visiting Vienna. It's a really beautiful city with lots and lots to see. I'd pick Vienna over Salzburg anytime, though Salzburg is a pretty amazing city itself.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Ewig auf den Heizungsmann gewartet (Termin 15-17:00) und glaubste der war da?

Penner.

GlamFM

Banned
No love for the Rheinland? Sad

If you haven't booked one of those adventure KD tours, you're going to miss Germany at it's best. But don't forget to bring some pepper-spray, the elders you're going to meet on one of those ships are a nasty bunch.

I'm all about the Rheinland! But!

I assume he's mostly interested in Nazi history and the Rheinland would be a pretty big detour from the cities he absolutely wants to visit.

KHlover

Banned
Nach einer Nacht Todesqualen mit anschließend 52 Stunden Krankenhausaufenthalt endlich in der Ferienwohnung angekommen. Beschissener Urlaubsanfang.

If you're gonna fly back anyway think about visiting Vienna. It's a really beautiful city with lots and lots to see. I'd pick Vienna over Salzburg anytime, though Salzburg is a pretty amazing city itself.
I've actually been to Salzburg before, but I loved it so much and didn't get to spend much time there. I think I can make time for Vienna! I love the film The Third Man, so that alone is enough to make it worth a visit.
I'm all about the Rheinland! But!

I assume he's mostly interested in Nazi history and the Rheinland would be a pretty big detour from the cities he absolutely wants to visit.
Not necessarily. I have a degree in German so I'm familiar with the region's history further back than the Wars.

Fantastapotamus

I've actually been to Salzburg before, but I loved it so much and didn't get to spend much time there. I think I can make time for Vienna! I love the film The Third Man, so that alone is enough to make it worth a visit.

Vienna is a really, really cool city, I'm sure you won't regret it. If you decide to visit I can recommend you a couple of places if you want.

KHlover

Banned
Mist. Ich wünsche alles Gute und hoffentlich einen schönen restlichen Urlaub.

:/ Gute Besserung

Jo, danke^^

Immerhin bin ich mir im kroatischen Krankenhaus wie ein VIP vorgekommen. Musste in der Notaufnahme nur fünf Minuten oder so warten, innerhalb von zwei Stunden hatte ich alle Voruntersuchungen durch und hab mir mit einem kroatischen Herren ein Doppelzimmer geteilt. Krankenschwestern waren freundlich und haben alle Englisch gesprochen. 10/10 wenn die Magensonde nicht gewesen wäre. Das Einführen ist echt widerlich und danach das Gefühl von Plastik, das von innen gegen die Kehle drückt wenn man schluckt...igitt.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
The heart of Germany can only be found in the Pfalz!

!!!! the pfalz is the cultural heart of germany>_>.

Not necessarily. I have a degree in German so I'm familiar with the region's history further back than the Wars.

I mean if you can visit Hambach, Heidelberg or Speyer it would probably be fun for a history "nerd".

But I'm 100% biased b/c I absolutely love Rhineland-Palatinate and the Kurpfalz.

Vienna is a really, really cool city, I'm sure you won't regret it. If you decide to visit I can recommend you a couple of places if you want.
Ok, it's going on the list! Please do let me know about some places when you have time.
I mean if you can visit Hambach, Heidelberg or Speyer it would probably be fun for a history "nerd".

But I'm 100% biased b/c I absolutely love Rhineland-Palatinate and the Kurpfalz.
I'll look into them! Thank you.

You guys are awesome, thanks for the help! I hope you don't mind me dropping by occasionally as I get closer to making this all a reality.

Irminsul

That seems like a very sensible path! Where would you spend the most time?
Yes, I think the route GlamFM proposed is the most sensible one for ten days, with the possible addition of Vienna. Adding more cities to that can be a bit stressful and it's really easy to travel between the ones listed.

Depending on when "later this year" is, though, definitely have a look at the Bahn website. Flixbus is generally the cheapest option, but if you book in advance, rail tickets can also be quite inexpensive. And it's definitely the faster option, at least when travelling from Berlin to Leipzig or Nuremberg to Munich.

For a history buff, there are probably more places to visit in Berlin than can be listed (or visited in a few days, that is). There's easily enough to see in all of the cities for a few days each, but if you need ideas for where to stay longer, I'd probably say Berlin and Vienna. Maybe Munich, but I personally like Leipzig more than Munich.

If you want to see more than Nazis, definitely take time in Berlin and Leipzig to visit places of the second German dictatorship, i.e., the GDR. Take a tour by a former inmate through the Stasi jail in Hohenschönhausen in Berlin or visit the "Museum in der Runden Ecke" (for free!) in Leipzig for an overview of all the other things the Stasi did. Good German knowledge is mandatory for both, but that shouldn't be a problem if I got you correctly ;)

Aside from dictatorships, the Völkerschlachtdenkmal is a really, well, monumental monument to the Battle of Leipzig with a lot of information on a battle that probably isn't really that well-known in the US (correct me if I'm wrong, though).

If you need more tips on where to go in those cities, just ask!

frontovik

Banned
Hallo DeutschGAF, I currently live in Canada and have been working on improving my German..

Resources I like to use to improve my grammar are playing games and watching film in the German language.

However, I've been finding it difficult to watch films in German aside from using YouTube or going to the library. Netflix.ca doesn't have a German audio/text option either.

Looking for proper channels, of course. Vielen Dank!

Secondly, is anyone familiar with Volker Kutscher's Gereon Rath mysteries? I've read the first two English translations and have been impressed. I'm looking forward to the Babylon Berlin TV series set to debut later this year.

Ladekabel

35 Spiele vorbestellen und man kriegt eins Gratis mit dem ganzen Geld, das man gespart hat!

Hallo DeutschGAF, I currently live in Canada and have been working on improving my German..

Resources I like to use to improve my grammar are playing games and watching film in the German language.

However, I've been finding it difficult to watch films in German aside from using YouTube or going to the library. Netflix.ca doesn't have a German audio/text option either.

Looking for proper channels, of course. Vielen Dank!

Secondly, is anyone familiar with Volker Kutscher's Gereon Rath mysteries? I've read the first two English translations and have been impressed. I'm looking forward to the Babylon Berlin TV series set to debut later this year.

I don't know if the online media centre of ARD and ZDF are available in Canada but I think Deutsche Welle (dw.com) should be available. Don't know about their movie offering though.
For Netflix you could use a VPN to get the German version where often there is English and German for voice and subtitles available but I don't know how hard their going after that stuff.

Nibel

Kommt es nur mir so vor oder ist Amazon.de mittlerweile ziemlich grottig was Videospiele angeht? Sogar im fucking Media Markt findest du teilweise bessere Angebote für neue Titel

GlamFM

Banned
Habe in dieser Generation noch keine einzige Disc gekauft.

EDIT: Stimmt nicht! Brauchte neulich 2 Discs für diesen GameStop PS4 PRO Tausch.

"Zum Glück" haben wir 2 GamStops in DUS - 2 spiele für 16€ im einen gekauft und im anderen wieder abgegeben ;)

Ladekabel

Boah! Es ist widerlich warm und was fällt meinen Kommilitonen ein? Fenster aufreißen, damit die warme Luft von Draußen auch noch reinkommen kann.

Und in der Cafeteria gibt es nicht mal Nogger Choc oder Bolero Exotic. :<

GlamFM

Banned
Boah! Es ist widerlich warm und was fällt meinen Kommilitonen ein? Fenster aufreißen, damit die warme Luft von Draußen auch noch reinkommen kann.

Ich müsste mittlerweile an die 50 Grad hier bei der Arbeit haben.

Das Dach besteht aus Brettern und Dachpappe...

Je72Zx5.jpg

Kurz davor die Fenster aufzumachen.

Kommt es nur mir so vor oder ist Amazon.de mittlerweile ziemlich grottig was Videospiele angeht? Sogar im fucking Media Markt findest du teilweise bessere Angebote für neue Titel

Das letzte Spiel, dass ich bei Amazon bestellt habe, war Lost Odyssey zum launch. Lohnt sich sonst nicht.

giphy.gif

Ich bin krankgeschrieben, blöder Männerschnupfen und so. Im Haus ist es noch kühl, aber ich glaub ich spring gleich erstmal ne Runde in den Pool und ruf meine Kollegen an wie es so läuft.

Top Bottom