• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 10th Anniversary Thread: You Lose Again, Gravity! [Up: Combo Videos]

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
"ITS OVER!!!!" <slash>

AgniRudra.gif

rvy

Banned
The fan forgettable Devil May Cry 2 released not long after without Hideki at the helm; replaced by Hideaki Itsuno.
Poor Itsuno, he keeps getting credit for something he almost had no hand in.

gunbo13

GuardianE said:
So, is there any way to make the PC version of DMC3 actually playable nowadays? I figured that maybe people made a patch by now that would actually make it function correctly with a gamepad.
The videos I made are from the PC version.

Need the gamepad patch I mentioned in the OP.

gunbo13

Tucah said:
I own the trilogy for PS2 but have never played any of them. I should get on that.
I rate DMC3SE as the best action game of all time. It probably has to do with my roots in fighting games.

DMC1 is amazing as well. It has great atmosphere and has the best pacing of the bunch.

But I guess I might be a bit bias here. ;)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
gunbo13 said:
The videos I made are from the PC version.

Need the gamepad patch I mentioned in the OP.

Does the gamepad patch work with the 360 controller? I'd really rather not purchase an adapter.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
WHOA. Awesome thread. I just read the OP, smiling from ear to ear.

gunbo13 said:
Devil May Cry 2 – “Devils Cry at this Game”

You meet a new chick named Lucia and kill a businessman.
Hahahahaha! Perfect.

I remember a few years ago when my bf asked me for "a" Devil May Cry game, since he wanted to try the series out. I decided to get him the 5th Anniversary PS2 collection instead for his birthday. He kept raving about the games (well, DMC1 and DMC3) for a few months.

So then I decided to try them out (bought a collection for myself), and I thought they were awesome. The combat was so fluid and satisfying. And I won't deny that I thought Dante was pretty cool. And then Vergil was properly introduced in DMC3 and I was in awe. I really got into the series as a whole, and the extra difficulty options were fantastic additions. Ridiculously fun, and DMC3 was amazing.

But OP. You forgot the soundtrack samples!

DMC1
ST-01 (Old Castle Stage)
Public Enemy (Regular Battle 1)
Ultra Violet (Nelo Angelo Battle)
Lock & Load (Blade Appears ~ Regular Battle 2)
GM-03 (The Idol of Time and Space)
Flock Off! (Griffon Appears ~ Battle)
Psycho Siren(Mid-Boss Battle)

DMC2
Fire Away (Dante Battle 1)
Shoot the Works (Dante Battle 2)
Uncanny Noise (Noctpteran/Trismagia Battle)
Wings of the Guardian (Lucia Battle 1)
Darkness Instinct (Argosax The Chaos Battle)
Spark It Up! (Trish Battle 2)

DMC3
Dante's Office 7 Hells Battle
Battle 1 (Battle Music 1)
Battle 2 (Battle Music 2)
Cerberus Battle
Gigapede Battle
Vergil Battle 1
Vergil Battle 2
Vergil Battle 3
Devils Never Cry

DMC4
Blackened Angel (Battle with Dante 1)
The Time Has Come (Generic Nero Battle)
Baroque and Beats (Battle with Bianco Angelo)
Forza del Destino (Battle with Dante 2)
Lock and Load -Blackened Angel mix- (Generic Dante Battle)

All track names taken from VGMdb.

gunbo13

GuardianE said:
Does the gamepad patch work with the 360 controller? I'd really rather not purchase an adapter.
It should. I honestly used a PS2 with usb setup, which some reason ******* died. Gah.

I think as long as windows gets it, it will work in game. I have the patch at home if you need it.

Dark Schala said:
WHOA. Awesome thread. I just read the OP, smiling from ear to ear.

Hahahahaha! Perfect.

All track names taken from VGMdb.
Thanks!

Adding to OP. A fellow Chrono fan I thank thee.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
gunbo13 said:
It should. I honestly used a PS2 with usb setup, which some reason ******* died. Gah.

I think as long as windows gets it, it will work in game. I have the patch at home if you need it.

I'd really appreciate it if I could get a link at some point. I tried looking for fixes and just saw some people talking about how they couldn't use triggers to switch weapons any more.

weeaboo said:
Holy shit thats true http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434155

GAF holds all the answers

That's not confirmed. I NEED IT CONFIRMED! NAO!

Dahbomb

Bonfires Down said:
A bit OT but what's your opinion on Bayonetta, gunbo?
Holy Trinity of Action games (no particular order):

*Devil May Cry 3:SE

*Ninja Gaiden Black

*Bayonetta

I don't see Bayonetta being less than top 3 best action game of all time.

The Boxart they used was debunked it was just the 5th anniversary boxart with a "10th" slapped on. However i could still be real.

Also

yeahej.jpg

weeaboo

StalkerUKCG said:
The Boxart they used was debunked it was just the 5th anniversary boxart with a "10th" slapped on. However i could still be real.

Also

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6158/yeahej.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Argh, why would you post that shit in such a beautiful thread?

[QUOTE=Dahbomb]

*Ninja Gaiden Black

*Bayonetta
[/QUOTE]

Gorgeous <3

Dahbomb said:

*Ninja Gaiden Black

*Bayonetta

I don't see Bayonetta being less than top 3 best action game of all time.
What a great list to be a part of. The untouchables.

Nix

Banned
Great OP. I really just want an HD collection of DMC2-DMC3SE-DMC4, since they already stated they couldn't render DMC1 in HD. Looking back, they probably won't add DMC4 either, but all I really wanted was DMC3SE anyway, since it's one of my all time favorite games (swordmaster+Rebellion+Cerberus= Infinite). DMC 2 is more like an extra that will just be something to look at and contrast to DMC3SE.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Nix said:
Great OP. I really just want an HD collection of DMC2-DMC3SE-DMC4, since they already stated they couldn't render DMC1 in HD. Looking back, they probably won't add DMC4 either, but all I really wanted was DMC3SE anyway, since it's one of my all time favorite games (swordmaster+Rebellion+Cerberus= Infinite). DMC 2 is more like an extra that will just be something to look at and contrast to DMC3SE.

Why?

Dahbomb said:

*Ninja Gaiden Black

*Bayonetta

I'll echo. Pretty much perfect.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
gunbo13 said:
Thanks!

Adding to OP. A fellow Chrono fan I thank thee.
No problem. :)

Urban Scholar said:
I remember cranking up the stereo to max when both of these would play and everyone thought I was "worshiping Satan". Fun times
And that's why I cranked it up when I was home alone, lol. I like my Hamauzu, Falcom's Sound Team JDK and Mitsuda a lot, but some of the DMC stuff is a bit of a guilty pleasure.

Dahbomb said:

*Ninja Gaiden Black

*Bayonetta
Agreed 100%.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
NG > DMC. DEAL WITH IT, NERDS.

That said, DMC > Bayonetta >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> God of War/Dante's Inferno.

Also DMC2 is the only one in the series I have not played. Should I look around and dump $2-5 on it?

gunbo13

Bonfires Down said:
A bit OT but what's your opinion on Bayonetta, gunbo?
It is solid but there were things that really hurt it IMO.

The QTEs were awful, that's point #1. To lose top rank because the stupid system wanted some weird hit button input is not what action games should have.

But I absolutely loathed with intensity being forced to play on normal the first time through. It was ridiculously easy and a bore. Even hard wasn't very challenging. I got through both play-throughs in about 11 hours. I didn't speed run and watched all the silly cut-scenes.

The combat has issues to. There is not enough personality between the weapons. They all feel like re-skins IMO. Well re-skins might be a bit harsh but they didn't have the individuality like DMC3. There were also way overpowered combos, basically when you trigger the hair attacks. And I'm not a big fan of the cut-scene kills as it ruins the flow. Also most of the combos cater towards style over substance. The best thing about DMC3 combat is that even the flashy combos HIT HARD.

It isn't a bad game but those things really put a damper on my experience. I prefer the NG games over Bayonetta despite the poor frame-rate in NG2 and the explosion/camera nonsense.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
TheSeks said:

Also DMC2 is the only one in the series I have not played. Should I look around and dump $2-5 on it?

So, you enter a thread specifically about DMC, proclaim your own favorite franchise as superior (completely unprovoked, mind you), and everyone else is supposed to be the nerds in this scenario?

Dahbomb

TheSeks said:

No LOL!

Suairyu

Banned
I honestly never got the Dante backtrack DMC4 hate. You blasted through the levels in maybe two hours tops and it played so very, very differently from when you did it as Nero. My largest complaint about the game is that the Dante chapters were over so quickly. Really, the entire game could have done with more areas - having two characters that play so very differently requires more game time so you can sink your teeth into both styles properly.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Suairyu said:
I honestly never got the Dante backtrack DMC4 hate. You blasted through the levels in maybe two hours tops and it played so very, very differently from when you did it as Nero. My largest complaint about the game is that the Dante chapters were over so quickly. Really, the entire game could have done with more areas - having two characters that play so very differently requires more game time so you can sink your teeth into both styles properly.

I think it was the rehashing of locations that really bothered most people. The environments were kind of lackluster to begin with in DMC4 (when compared to DMC3), so to be forced to retread the same ground made for a lukewarm experience.

Teknoman

Urban Scholar said:
I remember cranking up the stereo to max when both of these would play and everyone thought I was "worshiping Satan". Fun times

The Cerberus battle music from DMC3 was for me. I usually dont listen to that style of music, but for some reason I just found it really awesome.

I was sort of disappointed when I got the first game on Christmas eve when it first came out and beat it the next morning, eventhough the game itself was sweet as hell. Then I noticed that it has near infinite replay value and started loving it.

When DMC2 came out, I read the reviews and saw that it was disappointing. Well, I bought it used after it's price was dropped to 20 euros and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It's just that the weapons are so much better compared to the close range weapons that really gimped the game.

I didn't get DMC3 until a while after it was launched and I actually borrowed the game from a friend of mine. I ended loving it so much I didn't even want to return it. I must have put around 200 hours on that game alone. It improved almost everything in DMC1. After a while I just had to return it and started replaying DMC2 and 1 until DMC3:SE came out and bought it for 20 euros.

Haven't played DMC4 but it really is one of my favorite action game series ever.

Teknoman said:
The Cerberus battle music from DMC3 was for me. I usually dont listen to that style of music, but for some reason I just found it really awesome.

Singing err growling along with it certainly was awesome.

gunbo13

Suairyu said:
The fact that it was such a breeze hurt it. You also already knew the enemy attack patterns. The best DMC gameplay is balanced, DMC3 being the prime example. The tacked on DMC4 Dante play was anything but. The repetition is forgivable (we play through these games multiple-times) but he was not tweaked for the system. Dante in DMC1 and even DMC3 is tweaked to hell and back for the system. His balance is better then most fighting games. But DMC4 starting Nero changed the environment and put Dante in a weird spot. None of the Dante play felt balanced or had a good flow to it. Forced.

Dahbomb

Yeah, Dante was clearly not balanced for the enemies in DMC4.

He either ripped the bosses a new asshole or ended up being extremely frustrated by the lowest forms of enemies in the game because he lacked the proper crowd control. His moves didn't "stick" to enemies right or didn't cause proper juggles where as the same moves would work for Nero.

You had to work 10x harder with Dante (in some cases, against bosses he could kill them in under 10 seconds thanks to some broken mechanics) than with Nero although in terms of combo exhibition Dante eclipses Nero by quite a wide margin.

DMC4 has some cool mods for the PC, stuff like the Ifrit model for Gilgamesh and Sparda for Rebellion. There is also playable Kyrie which looks hilarious.

DMC4 was my first DMC, I thought it was ok but didn't exactly sell me on the series. I later bought the first game for £3 so I didn't sound like a loser by saying 4 was the only one I had played, I believe I got to the fire spider (or something) boss, died a couple of times and then gave up. I might give it another go if a HD collection appears or maybe someday I'll see the box laying around and start playing again, but for now I'm not interested.

And they're my impressions of the franchise.

gunbo13

54-46! said:
DMC3 looks pretty damn good on PC, are there any good mods that add anti-aliasing and 1080p out there?
It runs in 1080p and you can force AA in the drivers. My videos were captured at 1080p (no widescreen of course) with no AA though due to fraps lag. It was also hard capturing that footage since I play at a locked 60fps and fraps causes dips to mid 40s :(.

As long as you have the controller patch, the PC version is fantastic. DMC4 PC port is godlike though.

DMC3 was probably my favorite action game of last-gen.

Interestingly, I have more fond memories of DMC3 than DMC3:SE.
There was something appealing about carefully planning on what to do, on how to use your orbs. Do you buy checkpoints, do you level up, do you buy items?
Almost had a Demons Souls thing going on.

The original Devil May Cry was important to me as well since it was the game that pulled me away from RPG's (which was the genre that I almost exclusively played).

Anyway, probably my favorite franchise.
And it's importance in the game industry in regards to the action genre is obvious:
Considering that before 2001's "devil may cry" - the concept of an action game was Spyro the fucking Dragon.

You just -know- Nero's 'arm mechanic' is going to be copied in future action games, * watches some trailers of upcoming action games* --- yup.

PS: Hideaki Itsuno wasn't really responsible for DMC2. Hideki Kamiya (on his twitter) basically explained that DMC2 wasn't meant to be DMC2, it was an action game helmed by somebody else using the DMC1 engine - production began on this game before DMC1 was completed.

When they realized how huge DMC was going to be, they altered course - slapped in Dante, called it DMC2. And near the last quarter of production they gave the game to Hideaki Itsuno and he tried to salvage what he could.

Which is why, if you look at it - if you take out Dante and the word "sparda" from DMC2, nothing about that game changes in regards to plot and setting...at all.

Though DMC2 can be appreciated in a sense that it was the easiest DMC game, allowing some casual gamers to enjoy the juggling goodness as both DMC1 and DMC3 were distinctively difficult games. In fact, I died more on DMC1's Phantom than I did on Cerberus in DMC3. So DMC2 had it's purpose. It also made sure that no DMC game to be released after then would be easy. It's better to make a DMC game too hard than too easy.

Spiffy_1st said:
, I believe I got to the fire spider (or something) boss, died a couple of times and then gave up.

That's a shame. I think everyone died multiple times against Phantom, interestingly, once you beat it - you look back and think how could you have ever died to begin with.

Buy Air Raid to use during your devil form. Maybe buy a purple star or a blue orb to increase your health. Use air raid on Phantom's back (it's weak spot). Then proceed to helm breaker the shit out of it (in air triangle).

So simple. I also think it doesn't help that the PAL version of DMC is at 50 hz, something that obvioiusly the HD collection would fix.

54-46!

gunbo13 said:
It runs in 1080p and you can force AA in the drivers. My videos were captured at 1080p (no widescreen of course) with no AA though due to fraps lag. It was also hard capturing that footage since I play at a locked 60fps and fraps causes dips to mid 40s :(.
Cool, though I've heard things about lag on the PC version? are they referring to framerate or controller input?

Kazzy

The first DMC was fantastic, something of a watershed moment for me during the PS2 days. As its been mentioned a few times, it felt like the beginning of that particular generation for me.

Obviously DMC 2 left a bad taste in my mouth, it was just so overpoweringly bland, which was baffling considering just how unlike the original it felt.

DMC 3 is technically the best in the series, but you always remember your first. It looked amazing at the time considering it was on the PS2, one of those late generation games along with MGS3 that had some extremely impressive cinematic flourishes and was clearly getting the best out of the hardware.

Although not to the degree of 2, DMC 4 still felt like another step back to me. I thought I liked Nero until I got control of Dante again and then I remembered exactly why he is so much better, also I hated the blatant recycling of the same levels for the second half of the game. It felt like an accomplished game but felt a little soulless to me, thought it was a disappointment.

TheSeks said:
B-B-BUT IT HAS AWESOME DANTE DESIGN. HOW CAN IT BE BAD?

The same way NG2 was such a disappointment, a sequal that didn't understand why the first one clicked.

The difficulty, the bosses, the design all missed the mark. It was clear that a different design team was making DMC2 than the team that made DMC1.

Kazzy

lowhighkang_LHK said:
The same way NG2 was such a disappointment, a sequal that didn't understand why the first one clicked.

The difficulty, the bosses, the design all missed the mark. It was clear that a different design team was making DMC2 than the team that made DMC1.

I honestly struggle to remember much about DMC2, especially in terms of the bosses which are usually the highlights of these games for me. I can recall that annoying Skull Boss and that's about it.

Its pretty ridiculous to think that it followed on from the original DMC, and judged it so poorly.

Top Bottom