• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 10th Anniversary Thread: You Lose Again, Gravity! [Up: Combo Videos]

Dahbomb

There are many rites of passages in a DMC game, one of them is beating Phantom for the first time. Another one is beating the game on DMD mode. It's when you beat the game on DMD do you have a sense of how in depth you need to go with the game. What you may feel as "cheap" in Normal might not even be viable in DMD mode.

lowhighkang_LHK said:
The same way NG2 was such a disappointment, a sequal that didn't understand why the first one clicked.

The difficulty, the bosses, the design all missed the mark. It was clear that a different design team was making DMC2 than the team that made DMC1.
There is no way that NG2 is even comparable to as big of a downgrade that DMC2. It's a solid action game and is still reasonably difficult.

NGB to NG2 is more comparable to DMC3SE to DMC4.

Azure J

The OP needs to be commended for his parodies of the story lines in the DMC games. I fucking lost it at "don't touch my shit." :lol

Man, I can't believe that the first time I saw the DMC3 trailer of beyond godlikeness I was a sophomore in high school. Even more unbelievable is the idea that we still haven't gotten a game that outright trumps it yet. Truly it is one of the action games of the forever.

Caerith

DMC itself is a rite of passage. It was the hardest game of its time and brought "Nintendo thumb" back into common parlance. And yeah, like LHK said, after you've gotten past the Phantom you look back and wonder how you ever could've died to it in the first place. Nightmare, on the other hand...

Here's hoping for a confirmed HD collection, but I doubt they'd want to remind people of DMC's greatness when they're trying to sell that one game with a similar-sounding name.

(Great OP btw.)

Well I disagree.

I loved the shit out of NG (Black specifically). If you were to consider what makes these kinds of games great, it all comes down to thin lines. The thin line between challenging and cheap. From good - deliberate design to something that just doesn't belong. Ninja's throwing projectiles off-camera, well - it's okay, because NG had a somewhat decent idea of telegraphing attacks off-camera, so the line between fair and unfair wasn't crossed. Especially considering it was really the only enemy that did this. This line, however - was crossed in NG2 because seemingly every fucking enemy either threw shit at you, or lunged at you off camera. And the idea of telegraphing attacks through auditory means was seemingly lost in the sequal.

But ultimately, it was when I realized that not one boss fight in NG2 was fun. From the stupid electric worm in the subway to the dual exploding turtles. Whereas, the first boss fight in NG (Murai was it?) was better than anything in NG2.

NG2 was a lot closer to being a good game than DMC2 was sure, but both just kind of "didn't get it." And I think it's through that analogy which is what I meant. DMC4 - while not as good as DMC3/DMC3SE - in design was demonstrative of the good aspects of DMC3. You can -tell- that the same guys that made 4, made 3. The problem with DMC4 was really the content reuse. And the fact that they implemented Dante, in Nero's world. The levels and enemies were designed with Nero in mind, not Dante. This isn't so much a gameplay mechanic error, more of a judgement error. They should have never put Dante as a playable character in DMC4. But - DMC4 had all the elements, great bosses (seriously, Credo ranks up there with Vergil fights from (DMC3) and Nero Angelo fights from (DMC1).

Also, being challenging doesn't automatically make a good action game. It's challenge needs to work in an environment that supports that challenge. The only time NG2's challenged "worked" was when you were fighting regular foot ninjas. But beyond that, everything just crumbled under the games own design. From a technical perspective (i.e, framerate) or design (i.e, level design, enemy design, boss design)

The only one thing they took from NG1 and improved on was how Ryu's combat and movements worked. Despite my feelings that DMC1/3 are the better action games, I still say that no character (not even Bayonetta) plays and moves as fluidly and responsively as Ryu. But the problem is - most of the shit he was killing through most of the game be it enemies or bosses were just poorly designed.

Ultimately and obviously, I'd agree that Ninja Gaiden 2 is better than DMC2, but I think in sake of analogies, I stick by saying the reasons why DMC2 faltered was because the design team didn't get what made DMC1 so great, and the same could be said for NG2. Those lines that NG1 didn't cross, NG2 did.

Anyway, Dahbomb, we've had these discussions for the past 4 - 5 years LOL, there is really no point in going further in with it.

Riposte

IMO the holy trinity needs to represents three very different types of games, so: Godhand, Ninja Gaiden/2, and DMC3/4/Bayonetta. (Leaving room for tastes.)

Dahbomb

DMC2 didn't work because it didn't have enough time to even be made into a DMC game. It's development cycle was totally different from NG2. Like the guy in the previous page said, if you take out Dante and the only mention of Sparda in the game... it wouldn't even be a DMC game. It's why it's easy to just ignore it, it doesn't have the same DNA. NG2 does, it is inherently still NG even though it has clear issues.

And again, your complaints about NG2 are exactly the same complaints for DMC4... design issues.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
gunbo13 said:
It should. I honestly used a PS2 with usb setup, which some reason ******* died. Gah.

I think as long as windows gets it, it will work in game. I have the patch at home if you need it.

Also, are you using any mods or tweaks for your DMC3 PC run? Because the game looks fucking fantastic in your videos. It only fuels my desire that much more for a DMC HD Collection.

Dahbomb

Riposte said:
IMO the holy trinity needs to represents three very different types of games, so: Godhand, Ninja Gaiden/2, and DMC3/4/Bayonetta. (Leaving room for tastes.)
I can get down with this.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Riposte said:

This just depresses me.

It's hard to remain optimistic for the future of action gaming with what's been shown so far of Ninja Gaiden 3, and DmC. And the fact that Godhand 2 will never exist.

Dahbomb said:
DMC2 didn't work because it didn't have enough time to even be made into a DMC game. It's development cycle was totally different from NG2.

Interestingly, it's heavily postulated that some of problems with NG2 was Itagaki pretty much set to leave the company well before the project was even finished. So development cycle problems could be yet another valid comparisons between the two projects. And were the sexual harassment charges during NG2's development? Not sure, but I don't think that made the long hours easier.

Dahbomb said:
Like the guy in the previous page said, if you take out Dante and the only mention of Sparda in the game... it wouldn't even be a DMC game. It's why it's easy to just ignore it, it doesn't have the same DNA. NG2 does, it is inherently still NG even though it has clear issues.

Yeah that was me.

And I guess, what I'm trying to say. Was that through mechanics - DMC4 was clearly in line with DMC3.

But through error of judgement, as opposed to specific mechanic driven design - they decided to reuse content and had Dante a playable character.

But don't get me wrong, at the end of the day DMC4 wasn't as good as DMC3:SE, and NG2 wasn't as good as NG:Black. So really I guess the comparisons can be valid in a multitude of ways, depending on your preference for each individual game.

I am ashamed that I have beaten DMC2 but not 3... I'm going pick up DMC3 after work today and play it so that I can reclaim my manhood.

Keikoku

Banned
Dahbomb said:
Holy Trinity of Action games (no particular order):

*Devil May Cry 3:SE

*Ninja Gaiden Black

*Bayonetta

I don't see Bayonetta being less than top 3 best action game of all time.

God Hand >>>>>> Bayonetta

Dahbomb

BentMyWookiee said:
I am ashamed that I have beaten DMC2 but not 3... I'm going pick up DMC3 after work today and play it so that I can reclaim my manhood.
Your e-penis before playing DMC3: --->

Your e-penis after playing DMC3: ----------------------------------------->

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
lowhighkang_LHK said:
The same way NG2 was such a disappointment, a sequal that didn't understand why the first one clicked.

The difficulty, the bosses, the design all missed the mark. It was clear that a different design team was making DMC2 than the team that made DMC1.

So, instead of perfect balance it has projectiles out of every orifice it has instead? That's... :(

Still, can't be as bad as paying $60 day one for NG2. After Warrior/Normal the game becomes absolutely bullshit in terms of difficulty balance.

Dahbomb

I bought NG2 day 1 and I don't regret it. It's a frustrating playthough in Hard/MNM but it's doable. The final act of NG2 is still quite godlike. The weapon set is also quite nice.

ArjanN

Dahbomb said:
Holy Trinity of Action games (no particular order):

*Devil May Cry 3:SE

*Ninja Gaiden Black

*Bayonetta

I don't see Bayonetta being less than top 3 best action game of all time.

How do you feel about God Hand?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Flying_Phoenix said:
Devil May Cry 4 is by far the best in the series.

Come at me GAF!
It's a vastly underrated game. Between DMC3 and 4, 4 is the one I find myself going back to most often. The backtracking that everyone hated didn't bother me outside of the forest level but which was horrid for both Dante and Nero sections.

Still, I think DMC1 is the best.

gunbo13

GuardianE said:
Also, are you using any mods or tweaks for your DMC3 PC run? Because the game looks fucking fantastic in your videos. It only fuels my desire that much more for a DMC HD Collection.
Nope, just 1080p with 0xAA forced for FRAPS purposes.

Those videos are compressed with H264 and cut to 30fps on youtube. I play the game @ 1440 x 1080 SLI48xQAA @ 60fps locked. Picture that beauty.

Chamber said:
It's a vastly underrated game. Between DMC3 and 4, 4 is the one I find myself going back to most often. The backtracking that everyone hated didn't bother me outside of the forest level but which was horrid for both Dante and Nero sections.

Still, I think DMC1 is the best.
For me, 4 has 3's combat refined, but lacked depth because the move sets got split between Dante and Nero without thoroughly developing each one.

I go back to 4 often as well because of the tweaks and the rotating camera helps registering the move.

DMC 1 is awesome in terms of pacing, atmosphere, AI and enemy design. Fight against phantom and shadow? Badass. Last fight against Nero Angelo? Thrilling.

The DMC series is the peak of character action games. Nothing even comes close. Not Ninja Gaiden, not Bayonetta. Nothing matches the perfect feel of 3 and 4, the sense of being massively capable yet still fighting dangerous enemies. I really hope the series can continue some day.

gunbo13

54-46! said:
Cool, though I've heard things about lag on the PC version? are they referring to framerate or controller input?
I didn't experience any issues. I'm assuming my PS2/USB connection was quite low on the input. Maybe you heard about controller issues because that is the main difficulty with the port.

You need the DMC3SE 1.30 patch FYI. That adds the GPadCfg.exe.

YJHLL.jpg

Chamber

love on your sleeve
BeautifulMemory said:
DMC 1 is awesome in terms of pacing, atmosphere, AI and enemy design. Fight against phantom and shadow? Badass. Last fight against Nero Angelo? Thrilling.
Precisely. Honestly, as good as DMC3 is on a pure gameplay level, those are the reasons I'll never hold it on an elite level.

Great game. Great fucking game. Just not a perfect game like I consider DMC1 to be.

Chamber said:
Precisely. Honestly, as good as DMC3 is on a pure gameplay level, those are the reasons I'll never hold it on an elite level.

Great game. Great fucking game. Just not a perfect game like I consider DMC1 to be.
Actually, you know what? While we are waiting for confirmation of DMC HD, can anyone confirm if the JPN version has the jump button to X? (As Kamyia said he had no idea the US release had the change in buttons layout)

If so, I will import it and play it again . I will do it for DMC!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Chamber said:

I had more chills fighting against Vergil all three times than I did during any of those fights in DMC1. It was kind of the opposite for me. I'll always remember Agni and Rudra. The fight against Beowulf. I really really liked DMC1, but DMC3 was where I was blown away.

ezekial45

Banned
RomanticHeroX said:
The DMC series is the peak of character action games. Nothing even comes close. Not Ninja Gaiden, not Bayonetta. Nothing matches the perfect feel of 3 and 4, the sense of being massively capable yet still fighting dangerous enemies. I really hope the series can continue some day.

I'm sorry, buy Bayonetta blows it way out of the water. In sheer scope, combat depth and fluidity, and just the overall presentation.

I still love DMC3, but it feels a little outdated now.

ezekial45

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Still can't get over the fact that you fight a freaking building as the final boss in DMC2.

Wasn't it the second boss? The final boss was literally all the bosses mixed together in a blob like mass.

ezekial45 said:
I'm sorry, buy Bayonetta blows it way out of the water. In sheer scope, combat depth and fluidity, and just the overall presentation.

I still love DMC3, but it feels a little outdated now.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but love for Bayonetta, but it doesn't strike the same balance for me. Ultimately it never presented much of a challenge, and few of the enemies ever felt as dangerous as they do in DMC. I love Bayonetta's combat system because there's so much room for experimentation, but I only branched out to see what I could do instead of the game ever demanding it of me.

Edit - Goddamn I always forget how dumb new Dante looks.

gunbo13

RomanticHeroX said:
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but love for Bayonetta, but it doesn't strike the same balance for me. Ultimately it never presented much of a challenge, and few of the enemies ever felt as dangerous as they do in DMC. I love Bayonetta's combat system because there's so much room for experimentation, but I only branched out to see what I could do instead of the game ever demanding it of me.

Edit - Goddamn I always forget how dumb new Dante looks.
Very well put. To me Bayonetta is like Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (or maybe SF4) and DMC3 is like Street Fighter III 3rd Strike.

EDIT:
I hope somebody in here got the joke in the thread title BTW. ;) Clue = who doesn't belong in the OP.

Dahbomb said:
Yeah, Dante was clearly not balanced for the enemies in DMC4.

He either ripped the bosses a new asshole or ended up being extremely frustrated by the lowest forms of enemies in the game because he lacked the proper crowd control. His moves didn't "stick" to enemies right or didn't cause proper juggles where as the same moves would work for Nero.

You had to work 10x harder with Dante (in some cases, against bosses he could kill them in under 10 seconds thanks to some broken mechanics) than with Nero although in terms of combo exhibition Dante eclipses Nero by quite a wide margin.

DMC4 has some cool mods for the PC, stuff like the Ifrit model for Gilgamesh and Sparda for Rebellion. There is also playable Kyrie which looks hilarious.

What is this I don't even... I am reinstalling DMC 4 just for that.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Cow Mengde said:
This isn't a DMC celebration without the real Dante, right?

http://i.imgur.com/rs5KK.jpg[/QUOTE]

when Ninja Theory reveals the new and canon Virgil, it will be a glorious moment and I feel bad for Virgil fangirls already.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoyed 4 apart from the backtracking, but I can't really compare it to the rest of the series. Must say I enjoyed the Nero part more than the Dante part barring the latter's hilarious cinematics. I felt more in control of Nero even though he was a tad too limited compared to Dante's arsenal. A few extra weapons for him would have been excellent. The only other DMC game I played was the shoddy pc port of 3. Played that one up till you get the twin blades.

One thing I wish was in DMC 4 is the ability to select levels in Bloody Palace. Not so much for clearing purposes but the last 20 levels + shadow Dante are the best AIs in the game

Chamber

love on your sleeve
GuardianE said:
I had more chills fighting against Vergil all three times than I did during any of those fights in DMC1. It was kind of the opposite for me. I'll always remember Agni and Rudra. The fight against Beowulf. I really really liked DMC1, but DMC3 was where I was blown away.
Fighting Nelo Angelo the final time in that dark room with lightning flashing outside is an experience unmatched by DMC3/4. DMC1 was dripping with that kind of atmosphere and the rest of the series never matched it.

Somewhere in the future, when we get a real DMC5, I hope they take a long hard look at the little things that made DMC1 great.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dahbomb said:
I bought NG2 day 1 and I don't regret it. It's a frustrating playthough in Hard/MNM but it's doable. The final act of NG2 is still quite godlike. The weapon set is also quite nice.

Don't get me wrong: I like NG2... when it's balanced/Sigma version above Normal.

And I love DMC... 3, anyway. 4 wasn't bad but 1 was "WTF is this shit?" I didn't really care for 1, and I find DMC's gameplay to not be the "Action game" gameplay I'm looking for when it comes to having a "hard but fair" balance. DMC relies too much on mobility and dial-a-combo (not sure if that's the proper phrase but) for my taste.

NG1/Black relied more on defense (well, at least when they nerfed LOL FLYING SWALLOW) and waiting for the enemy to be put at a disadvantage to take advantage of that and kill them. I think the "fighting game in an action game" comparison/metaphor was apt for it. Probably why I enjoy it vastly over DMC/Bayonetta and GoW bored me. :/

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Chamber said:
Fighting Nelo Angelo the final time in that dark room with lightning flashing outside is an experience unmatched by DMC3/4. DMC1 was dripping with that kind of atmosphere and the rest of the series never matched it.

Somewhere in the future, when we get a real DMC5, I hope they take a long hard look at the little things that made DMC1 great.

Agree to disagree. I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think the atmosphere was better. I think it was just different. The orchestral track rising in the final fight, your battleground a closing gate between the human and demon world.

To me, DMC4 was lacking in atmosphere (among other things), and I won't even bother mentioning DMC2.

In any case, I want to look forward to experiencing the entire series again in HD. :(

TheSeks said:
Don't get me wrong: I like NG2... when it's balanced/Sigma version above Normal.

And I love DMC... 3, anyway. 4 wasn't bad but 1 was "WTF is this shit?" I didn't really care for 1, and I find DMC's gameplay to not be the "Action game" gameplay I'm looking for when it comes to having a "hard but fair" balance. DMC relies too much on mobility and dial-a-combo (not sure if that's the proper phrase but) for my taste.

NG1/Black relied more on defense (well, at least when they nerfed LOL FLYING SWALLOW) and waiting for the enemy to be put at a disadvantage to take advantage of that and kill them. I think the "fighting game in an action game" comparison/metaphor was apt for it. Probably why I enjoy it vastly over DMC/Bayonetta and GoW bored me. :/
NG is more dial-a-combo. You know the izuma drop? Thats an example. DMC 1 is more hack and slash. You are right on about the fighting game mechanisms. I find NG to really be about using defense as best offense, and when you strike, you strike HARD . You cut those motherfuckers to pieces . I also loved the counter attack in NG, especially in using the large swords against the knights.

gunbo13

ToyMachine228 said:
Never played DMC2 and even though everyone hates on it, I still kind of want to play it. Dante just looks so...Badass.
Oh yes he does. But he is as boring to play as your grandma's weekly canasta game.

Spirit of Jazz said:
I hate this thread, it's only serving to remind me how action games are dead post Bayonetta.
Sorry bro. Have a lollipop. ;)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
DMC2 is worth playing IMO. Doesn't sting as much as it did in 2003 when it was the only other game in the franchise so I've kind of abandoned my hate for it.

Besides, Ninja Theory has given me something else to focus my vitriol toward.

Scum

I bought a PS2 back in the day just for DMC1. Picked it up for 20quid, platinum. Absolutely brilliant and money well spent! The Shadows were my fav enemies in the game, but listening to Lock & Load as the Blades showed up --> \m/

My sis was the one that played DMC2 to most (I just stayed the hell away from it, even though I bought it!). Bought both DMC3 & DMC3SE. Loved them. Enjoyed DMC4 but hated the backtracking with Dante.

I would absolutely love another Kamiya DMC as I'm currently enjoying every little bit out of Bayonetta.

Also, just for clarification...

Hideki Kayima DIRECTED the original Devil May Cry.
Shinji Mikami PRODUCED the original Devil May Cry.

People often get Kayima and Mikami confused so that's that.

Top Bottom