• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

So some changes I found from watching streams and reading forums, Nero can no longer jump cancel or dodge out of shuffle unless you have at least one point of charge and Dantes round trip charge is now the same as Vergils (faster I think). Also it seems the original setting change might only affect how many red orbs and proud souls you get because the shuffle change didn't revert back

Dahbomb

So some changes I found from watching streams and reading forums, Nero can no longer jump cancel or dodge out of shuffle unless you have at least one point of charge and Dantes round trip charge is now the same as Vergils (faster I think). Also it seems the original setting change might only affect how many red orbs and proud souls you get because the shuffle change didn't revert back
Oh boy... here we go.

That Shuffle thing HAS to be a glitch..

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Oh shit. I'm starting to get worried. Why would you need a point of charge? Does it use the charge?

Do you have a link?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
No it doesn't use the charge. Only reason I can think of for the change is that's how they intended it to be originally or to make it more of an advanced move by requiring a charge or its's s glitch like dahbomb said anyway here's the link http://www.twitch.tv/daedron/b/670295514 at 4:24:18
Thanks.

No other move behaves like that, requiring a charge but not using it upon execution. If they straight up removed it, I could believe that maybe it was a deliberate change, but the weird conditions make it seem like a glitch. That's also unusual about Roundtrip.

So maybe we weren't seeing things when there was that odd Streak gif earlier, but were told there were no changes.

Dahbomb

It does use it upon full execution, it just doesn't use it up if you cancel out of it (which makes sense).

So maybe we weren't seeing things when there was that odd Streak gif earlier, but were told there were no changes.
That was a Super Nero only thing.

The faster Round Trip makes it sound like a genuine balance change. The Nero could be one too but if it doesn't work in the OG version then it's a glitch (same for the Round Trip).

Someone needs to start testing out some Distortion and Full Steam damage values.

Thanks.

No other move behaves like that, requiring a charge but not using it upon execution. If they straight up removed it, I could believe that maybe it was a deliberate change, but the weird conditions make it seem like a glitch. That's also unusual about Roundtrip.

I haven't seen any proof on the Roundtrip change so it could still be the same.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It does use it upon full execution, it just doesn't use it up if you cancel out of it (which makes sense).

I wasn't able to watch the video until now. It's possible that it was a balance change... Sort of like how you can jump out of EX-Streak at the startup? But the fact that it doesn't revert back when you select Classic mode makes me question if it was deliberate. This is definitely something to bring up to Gregaman to see if he can get some answers from the producer/dev team.

I haven't seen any proof on the Roundtrip change so it could still be the same.

This week and next are going to be crazy if people start finding a lot of random changes.

Akiller

The final interview is up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S_1KoPr8Nw

5ca6d69783.jpg

Cuhraizy Itsuno is cuhraizy.

of course!

rISOScZ.gif

One of Trish's taunts is exactly like that Bayo gif xD

Dahbomb

Itsuno talking about how DMC is pretty old now and kids born back when DMC3 was released are now 10 years old. Standards are changed now and they have to make something to appeals to everyone.

Welp... looks like DMC5 is going to be casualed the fuck up guys.

Gbraga

Itsuno talking about how DMC is pretty old now and kids born back when DMC3 was released are now 10 years old. Standards are changed now and they have to make something to appeals to everyone.

Nah, it'll be fine.

I have faith in Itsuno, you should too!

Akiller

tumblr_nq4m0hc8aT1qdmrf4o1_540.jpg

Oh you Dahbomb Kappa

Apparently they added some random licensed songs that cause Youtube uploads to be ContentID matched. The worst part about this is that one of these songs appears in the first ten floors of the Bloody Palace. Anyone who's partnered on Youtube or just doesn't want ads on their videos will have to either mod the song out, or play the game with the music muted and edit in a song that won't get matched instead. Perhaps the international version won't have the rights to those songs? I sure hope so because it's going to be a pain if those songs play at random.

Tarry

Apparently they added some random licensed songs that cause Youtube uploads to be ContentID matched. The worst part about this is that one of these songs appears in the first ten floors of the Bloody Palace. Anyone who's partnered on Youtube or just doesn't want ads on their videos will have to either mod the song out, or play the game with the music muted and edit in a song that won't get matched instead. Perhaps the international version won't have the rights to those songs? I sure hope so because it's going to be a pain if those songs play at random.

I think that's only in the Japanese and Asian versions.

I think that's only in the Japanese and Asian versions.

Wait, my US version is going to be missing out on content form the others, in addition to the delayed release?

Chamber

love on your sleeve

DmC2 incoming brehs.

My main problem with DMC4 Dante was his range is abysmal compared to his DMC3 self, and the gauntlets are less intuitive than they were in DMC3. Also The neutering of his styles in general make them less fun, like gun stinger missing it's crazy combo and fireworks is too short.. Lucifer is cool but I almost want a traditional weapon that we could have swapped in it's place..

This basically nails all my complaints, yeah. He's still great to fuck around with because so many things can be cancelled into so many other things, but he doesn't feel nearly as 'tight' as Nero.

I dunno about that. I strongly prefer freeform combos to dial-a-combo, but I think Bayonetta does a great job of being seriously tight in terms of the way it gradually dials down the Witch Time crutch and even the effectiveness of dodging over multiple difficulties until you pretty much need to be Mahaa-Kalaa countering attacks instead of dodging them. I don't expect DMC5 to be casual on DMD at all, but it might have a smoother difficulty curve to get there.

I have no fears about DMC's higher difficulties, but I'll admit some trepidation about whether they get rid of the trademark kick-your-teeth-in first boss fight.

I'm definitely expecting more in the way of RPG-lite mechanics in DMC5, too. Like, DMC has always had RPG elements with regard to powering up your moves, increasing your HP and DT bars, and so on, but to that you can add things like Bayo's accessory system. As long as nothing changes the controls (like giving you additional i-frames on dodging) or does something godawful like straight-up buffing your defense or attack values, it'll be fine - the recipe for playing well should always remain the same but slightly more customization (which also goes for picking your favorite arsenal as in DMC3) would probably go a long way toward making the game more accessible without diminishing its hardcore appeal.

(as far as accessories go, i'm talking about a lot of existing/simple mechanics like adding quicksilver or doppelganger to your dt, or making enemies drop 50% more orbs at the expense of making you take 50% more damage, or a dmd-unlockable one that has the Super costume effect, etc etc etc)

I agree. Vergil's always been "special" in terms of taunts. His Yamato taunt in DMC3 built DT gauge over time. It'd be a neat addition to give them additional functionality.

It's a solid improvement. The original PC version looked way better than the console versions, and they look to have added some addition motion blur and possibly cleaned up textures for all versions of the Special Edition. If you're looking for an entire rework of the game visuals, however, this isn't it.

You have the Japanese version right? Can you have everything in English including the description?

I dunno about that. I strongly prefer freeform combos to dial-a-combo, but I think Bayonetta does a great job of being seriously tight in terms of the way it gradually dials down the Witch Time crutch and even the effectiveness of dodging over multiple difficulties until you pretty much need to be Mahaa-Kalaa countering attacks instead of dodging them. I don't expect DMC5 to be casual on DMD at all, but it might have a smoother difficulty curve to get there.

I have no fears about DMC's higher difficulties, but I'll admit some trepidation about whether they get rid of the trademark kick-your-teeth-in first boss fight.

I'm definitely expecting more in the way of RPG-lite mechanics in DMC5, too. Like, DMC has always had RPG elements with regard to powering up your moves, increasing your HP and DT bars, and so on, but to that you can add things like Bayo's accessory system. As long as nothing changes the controls (like giving you additional i-frames on dodging) or does something godawful like straight-up buffing your defense or attack values, it'll be fine - the recipe for playing well should always remain the same but slightly more customization (which also goes for picking your favorite arsenal as in DMC3) would probably go a long way toward making the game more accessible without diminishing its hardcore appeal.
The biggest thing I'd want to them to go about implementing in future games is more fluid movement options, something that makes controlling the characters just as fun outside of combat as well as during, which the 3D Ninja Gaidens have done pretty well. I appreciate the reduced activation time for sprint, but it's a first step towards making the moments in between levels not feeling like slogs.

nice OT, this has the same minimum pc specs aa the original right? i dont have a ps4 and i could play the original on my laptop pretty decently

Or they could just do what they did for 4SE: Lady/Trish/new character are welcoming to newcomers, Nero/Vergil/new character (maybe expand on Trish/Lady and add a new character into the low tier) are low to high intermediate, and Dante is the one who laughs at you as you futilely try to come to grips with him. Add in a better implemented automatic mode and more customized difficulty settings and there you go: options for everyone.

Dahbomb

Or they could just do what they did for 4SE: Lady/Trish/new character are welcoming to newcomers, Nero/Vergil/new character (maybe expand on Trish/Lady and add a new character into the low tier) are low to high intermediate, and Dante is the one who laughs at you as you futilely try to come to grips with him. Add in a better implemented automatic mode and more customized difficulty settings and there you go: options for everyone.
I' be surprised if DMC5 ships with 5 playable characters. And if it does,I would hope that characters like Lady and Trish are more fleshed out.

Bought a PS4 for this game [will build a PC eventually], let's rock baby. Anyone want to help me write up a guide on recommendations for recording combo videos?

I' be surprised if DMC5 ships with 5 playable characters. And if it does,I would hope that characters like Lady and Trish are more fleshed out.

The real question is whether Lady and Trish don't just feel like they have different weapon sets, it's whether they feel like they have different base *systems* that differentiate them sufficiently in a way that goes beyond the specificities of their arsenals

Nero's got EX, Vergil's got Concentration. These are both defining mechanics that *do* in Vergil's case and *could* in Nero's case apply to multiple weapons (though as has been discussed, Concentration for Vergil is kinda already just a further reward for playing the way you're supposed to play).

Dante's got Style switching, though I think that's something that could arguably be adapted to other characters just as much as other characters' Circle-button actions could easily be ported back over to Dante.

The question is whether Lady and Trish feel sufficiently different on a mechanics level to justify setting them up as their own characters in DMC5, or whether it just feels like they've got different arsenals and Style actions that could just as easily be given to another character. Obviously they're both bare-bones as far as equipment is concerned, but that's fixable over time - the bigger question is whether they feel like there's a truly differentiated core at the heart of their combat.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You have the Japanese version right? Can you have everything in English including the description?

I ordered the Asian version and the Pizza Box Japanese version. They haven't arrived yet. PlayAsia said that they tested the Japanese version when it arrived yesterday however, and it's exactly the same as the Asian version aside from the cover art.

Dahbomb

You don't need defining mechanics but more like defining philosophies.

Vergil is all about aggressive melee combat, getting in your face fast and efficiently. All of his moveset exemplifies this. He also has a level of precision to his attacks that is portrayed in the Concentration mechanic, Perfect Slices and his own Full Steam equivalent. So if Vergil should come back in DMC5, he should be getting more equipment that adheres to these philosophies. Stuff like a Scythe weapon or a Wolverine style dual claw weapon would be right up his alley. Probably the easiest character to design more mechanics and options for simply because he is a character archetype that other character action games are all about (like Ninja Gaiden).

Lady's design philosophies are all pretty obvious and well supported in DMC4SE... the problem is that these design philosophies don't gel well with what people associate DMC with (or what people like about the series). Lady is all about long ranged combat, limited mobility (she even prefers stationary moves) and crowd controlling that is about creating space between the opponent and her. As you can tell, her toolset is all about this. The fact that she is human also further limits her toolset. If they were to flesh her they need to bring more technology into her arsenal. Stuff like orbital strikes, anti-tank rifles, acrobatics that move her away from the opponent while firing around, traps/claymores etc. You can give her more stuff but I doubt it would ever reach the level of other characters.

Trish is easier to design for than Lady simply because she is not human. Her core philosophy is all about crowd control and repetitive hit stun with a balance of long ranged and short range combat (like Dante). So she is even more of a trap based character than Lady. Set up some lightning traps, knock enemies into it, they get electrocuted and locked in play then you go to town. She still needs to have better mobility IMO or at least have more ways to move around enemies on the screen (she does have that in DMC4SE but it's not as fast as what Nero/Vergil can do). Her weapons of choice would be stuff like Artemis from DMC3 (fire and forget, then it keeps then locked in with multiple hits for you to go town with), a whip based weapon (for crowd control and immobilizing) and Nevan (more electricity but you could design a yellow lightning based weapon for Trish).

So as long as they adhere to these philosophies for their moveset/weapons and additional mechanics... they would bring individuality. The question really is how much attention you WANT them to be giving a character like Lady over adding more stuff to characters like Dante/Vergil/Nero. That is what it all comes down to really. I am going to be honest, I would rather they just focus on a core 2 or 3 characters than try to set the record for most playable characters in a DMC game for DMC5.

Blader

Disappointed that the NA release is digital only, but only $25?! Soon as I buy my PS4 next week (and finish Arkham Knight :lol), this will be an insta buy for me.

You don't need defining mechanics but more like defining philosophies.

Vergil is all about aggressive melee combat, getting in your face fast and efficiently. All of his moveset exemplifies this. He also has a level of precision to his attacks that is portrayed in the Concentration mechanic, Perfect Slices and his own Full Steam equivalent. So if Vergil should come back in DMC5, he should be getting more equipment that adheres to these philosophies. Stuff like a Scythe weapon or a Wolverine style dual claw weapon would be right up his alley. Probably the easiest character to design more mechanics and options for simply because he is a character archetype that other character action games are all about (like Ninja Gaiden).

Lady's design philosophies are all pretty obvious and well supported in DMC4SE... the problem is that these design philosophies don't gel well with what people associate DMC with (or what people like about the series). Lady is all about long ranged combat, limited mobility (she even prefers stationary moves) and crowd controlling that is about creating space between the opponent and her. As you can tell, her toolset is all about this. The fact that she is human also further limits her toolset. If they were to flesh her they need to bring more technology into her arsenal. Stuff like orbital strikes, anti-tank rifles, acrobatics that move her away from the opponent while firing around, traps/claymores etc. You can give her more stuff but I doubt it would ever reach the level of other characters.

Trish is easier to design for than Lady simply because she is not human. Her core philosophy is all about crowd control and repetitive hit stun with a balance of long ranged and short range combat (like Dante). So she is even more of a trap based character than Lady. Set up some lightning traps, knock enemies into it, they get electrocuted and locked in play then you go to town. She still needs to have better mobility IMO or at least have more ways to move around enemies on the screen (she does have that in DMC4SE but it's not as fast as what Nero/Vergil can do). Her weapons of choice would be stuff like Artemis from DMC3 (fire and forget, then it keeps then locked in with multiple hits for you to go town with), a whip based weapon (for crowd control and immobilizing) and Nevan (more electricity but you could design a yellow lightning based weapon for Trish).

So as long as they adhere to these philosophies for their moveset/weapons and additional mechanics... they would bring individuality. The question really is how much attention you WANT them to be giving a character like Lady over adding more stuff to characters like Dante/Vergil/Nero. That is what it all comes down to really. I am going to be honest, I would rather they just focus on a core 2 or 3 characters than try to set the record for most playable characters in a DMC game for DMC5.

Good points all. I'm still a fan of having all five characters be playable, though, if only because I think Itsuno successfully managed to have the DMC4SE project take over a lot of the legwork (and funding) for fleshing them out. In that sense, DMC3 Dante, DMC3SE Vergil, DMC4 Nero, and DMC4SE Lady & Trish took a decent amount of work to create, but DMC4 Dante didn't take as much work because DMC3 already created a solid basic framework for him and he didn't have to be imagined from the ground up (especially given that DMC3 was originally supposed to incorporate style-switching) - arguably the same goes for DMC4SE Vergil, though you could say that his Concentration mechanic and supermoves are more of a v2.0 sort of thing than the way that DMC4 Dante is kinda like DMC3 Dante v1.5, if that metaphor makes any sense. At any rate, what I'm saying is that Itsuno successfully got Capcom to already fund the creation of base templates for Lady/Trish in DMC4SE, so in theory all that's left for them in DMC5 is to flesh them out rather than to make them from scratch.

I'm also disappointed at Lady's limited mobility, yeah. I feel like she'd absolutely be the *most* fun as a sort of expansion of the idea of Dante's side-rolling in circles around an enemy while firing E&I at them - basically make her all about ranged attacks and *high* mobility but make it tougher for her to stunlock or launch enemies than it is for other folks (so she *needs* to keep evading - obviously if she successfully launches enemies i'm down for her being good at juggling enemies in a launched state, since juggling enemies with your guns is one of the core DMC aesthetics). This might make stylish combos with her trickier if taken too far, though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I have to admit that I'm slightly disappointed with Lady's current archetype, only because I think she had a lot of potential for great mobility, more acrobatics, and weaker physical melee attack options. I personally feel like her limitations are largely a result of the restricted budget that we know Itsuno had for both Lady and Trish (who recycles a lot of moves from other characters).

I'm a big fan of having characters with specialties and movesets that encapsulate their personalities, and I agree with badcrumble that I think they've at least established a base foundation for these characters in a future iteration. I really feel like having an assortment of characters is the way to go, assuming that Itsuno has the budget to flesh out their existing archetypes.

It's worth noting that DMC3 Lady, both in cutscenes and in her (not very good lol) boss battle, is ABSOLUTELY all about mobility. She basically does the equivalent of a Super Metroid Screw Attack while spraying bullets in a wheel in a cutscene, and in her boss fight she's all about agilely grappling her way around the arena and doing backflips (with criminally high invincibility frames, something I would *not* want to see in her playable incarnation) to stay out of your reach. That's what I want to see in a playable Lady.

Is anyone else having issues with slow speeds on the preload for Steam? I'm not able to get my top download speed at all, which is unusual.

It's worth noting that DMC3 Lady, both in cutscenes and in her (not very good lol) boss battle, is ABSOLUTELY all about mobility. She basically does the equivalent of a Super Metroid Screw Attack while spraying bullets in a wheel in a cutscene, and in her boss fight she's all about agilely grappling her way around the arena and doing backflips (with criminally high invincibility frames, something I would *not* want to see in her playable incarnation) to stay out of your reach. That's what I want to see in a playable Lady.

That is what I was assuming we would get, and while I am disappointed that its not what we got, nothing can deter my hype for playable Lady finally.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I think what's primarily missing from Lady's movement options is freedom with the grapple. She still has grenade tossing, backflips with i-frames, recoil shots, but from a mobility standpoint her grapple isn't utilized at all. This deficiency is obvious, and why I feel like it was a budget constraint rather than a design choice.

Maybe that's also a very tall order considering the environments are already set for DMC4 and they might not be suited to using a grapple in such a way. Even using it to launch Lady in almost a webslinging way would be an interesting twist. Your enemy engagement could be about trajectory and swing-by shooting, or propelling Lady into her own type of flying kick.

Preloaded, now we wait.

Interesting that the pre-load is only 12.6GB. It's projected as over 20 GBs on consoles.

Top Bottom