• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

SheHateMe

I am guessing you used the most expensive shipping method had?

I used FedEx, if that's what you're asking. It was $15.

I was willing to pay $60+ for this game. Seriously. So, when P-A had it for $32.99, another $15 wasn't a big deal.

PLUS I got the Gran Turismo 6 15th Anniversary edition for free. All in all, a very good deal.

How much of a graphical update is the SE compared to the PS3 version?

I'm mildly interested but my PS3 version still looks good enough. Would nevertheless be interested in visual upgrades

BadWolf

That's fucking tight... you know someone is going to end a combo with that!

His other taunt where he spins the Summoned Sword on his finger also does damage.

Would be cool if that is the unique feature of his taunts moving forward.

They should make it like 3rd Strike and give unique properties/bonuses to each character's taunts.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Would be cool if that is the unique feature of his taunts moving forward.

They should make it like 3rd Strike and give unique properties/bonuses to each character's taunts.

I agree. Vergil's always been "special" in terms of taunts. His Yamato taunt in DMC3 built DT gauge over time. It'd be a neat addition to give them additional functionality.

How much of a graphical update is the SE compared to the PS3 version?

I'm mildly interested but my PS3 version still looks good enough. Would nevertheless be interested in visual upgrades

It's a solid improvement. The original PC version looked way better than the console versions, and they look to have added some addition motion blur and possibly cleaned up textures for all versions of the Special Edition. If you're looking for an entire rework of the game visuals, however, this isn't it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I am still holding on to the notion that Vergil might actually have Distortion (and by extension can do some of the cheap stuff that Dante can also do).

It looked pretty clear that Vergil has a "full steam" Beowulf equivalent from Greg ' s stream. If he has that, I'd be surprised if he didn't have Distortion as well. Unless Itsuno somehow felt that should be something exclusive to Dante.

It's a solid improvement. The original PC version looked way better than the console versions, and they look to have added some addition motion blur and possibly cleaned up textures for all versions of the Special Edition. If you're looking for an entire rework of the game visuals, however, this isn't it.

Sounds like the visual improvement does not justify the purchase.
Thanks!

I doubt there will be an issue with depth for him.

And also don't see a problem with having a character that is satisfying for both beginner and advanced players, he's basically the middle ground between Nero's accessibility and Dante's complexity.

Dude is just flashy as heck.
Well I'm excited for an easier to use character than Dante that has a wide arsenal to select from. And of course it's Vergil, ans after using Dante's poor substitute for dark slayer I need my yamato action. Definetly my favorite weapon in dmc..

I do want a nunchuck like weapon to return in dmc though..

gunbo13

DMC4 Dante is more like borderline insanity with depth.

My hope with Vergil is to be a theoretical version of his DMC3SE self, boosted with almost the range of DMC3 Dante across his base styles. But apply all that to Vergil instead. It's a bit confusing. Right now I'm seeing his DMC3SE base set with a lot of additional DMC4 type nods, balanced to the enemies, which is great to see.

I guess my wishlist falls a bit short. Some sort of advanced mechanics like rev would do a world of good for his depth. Something other then playing the rush-down/sword game. It looks great, has tons of flair, and will have a lot of mix-ups, mostly utilizing tricks to create some circus type movement & juggles.

I also think it's a bit misleading to say he is between Dante & Nero regarding anything but accessibility. Vergil plays nothing like Dante and is closer to Nero in how he controls enemies. Nero is like an immature Vergil, which is a great nod IMO. Yet he has cool systems that his dad could benefit from. Vergil's swords have always sort have been that outside mechanic, looking at DMC3 to now, yet I always feel like there is just a missing piece to his game. Dante works off variation and his outside game is linked to styles.

I'm nitpicking. But can't do much else without the game.

EDIT:
I should also clarify that I believe DMC3 Dante has a lot of depth. I was implying that his depth is split out to styles.

dan2026

Dante never felt fun to play in this.
He almost feels like an afterthought. Like they had Nero finished and based all tghe enemies and bosses round him. Then they shoved Dante in afterward, to make up for their half a game.

gunbo13

He almost feels like an afterthought. Like they had Nero finished and based all tghe enemies and bosses round him. Then they shoved Dante in afterward, to make up for their half a game.
He is not tuned to DMC4 enemies, which is the main issue. Vergil is looking vastly better.

You really care more about the graphics?

Yes.

I only play these games casually on normal, enjoy the ride and be done with them. 2 characters are really more than enough considering this playstyle since I won't even scratch the surface of their moveset, let alone of additional three characters.

My main problem with DMC4 Dante was his range is abysmal compared to his DMC3 self, and the gauntlets are less intuitive than they were in DMC3. Also The neutering of his styles in general make them less fun, like gun stinger missing it's crazy combo and fireworks is too short.. Lucifer is cool but I almost want a traditional weapon that we could have swapped in it's place..

dan2026

My main problem with DMC4 Dante was his range is abysmal compared to his DMC3 self, and the gauntlets are less intuitive than they were in DMC3. Also The neutering of his styles in general make them less fun, like gun stinger missing it's crazy combo and fireworks is too short.. Lucifer is cool but I almost want a traditional weapon that we could have swapped in it's place..

I assume they haven't changed him for the better in the SE.

gunbo13

Thinking about it, it would be great if Vergil had a tflux buffer system for his swords. Put really advanced sword mechanics behind buffering walls. Either that or make it related to just inputs, though that's a little too close to Nero.

Another idea would be tie such a system to his style meter. Or make a fresh damage based meter. Think of the dizzy gauge in SF5; the goal would be to style/damage to charge such a meter. One meter gain levels his swords. Use of EX moves would drain levels. All of his current sword options would be vanilla, then EX moves could be variations (like Nero) as well as really sick high level stuff.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I assume they haven't changed him for the better in the SE.

They haven't changed him at all. He remains one of the deepest characters of all time in terms of combat.

I agree that it would have been nice if they'd experimented with him a bit considering that classic node exists.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
storafötter;169051348 said:
I am so torn between getting it on a ps4 or on a PC. I just realized how cheap the asking price is. Those Vergil videos look awesome.

Just get both! :p

PS4 comes with a free theme vs. PC coming with a healthy 25% discount if you order from greenmangaming.

Dahbomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eVwIsmSvOo

DMC 4 Special Edition_ Vergil S Rank Taunt
Vergil taps the ground with his sword and says

"This shall be your grave."

What a fucking boss....

Thinking about it, it would be great if Vergil had a tflux buffer system for his swords. Put really advanced sword mechanics behind buffering walls. Either that or make it related to just inputs, though that's a little too close to Nero.

Another idea would be tie such a system to his style meter. Or make a fresh damage based meter. Think of the dizzy gauge in SF5; the goal would be to style/damage to charge such a meter. One meter gain levels his swords. Use of EX moves would drain levels. All of his current sword options would be vanilla, then EX moves could be variations (like Nero) as well as really sick high level stuff.
Yeah all of these are cool sub systems and generally better than the Concentration system.

The Concentration system is basially for new players and it's like an extra in-game mechanic that tells you how to play. It doesn't add much to high level play (aside from increasing his hitboxes for some new combos), it's just a passive buff.

Son Of D

storafötter;169054468 said:
Good point. I will likely not play it on steam yet. I suppose mods can up the difficulty if you want to play through it again on PC?

Very likely that there will be mods for difficulty. PC/Steam version will likely go on sale before the PS4 version does anyway.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Golnei

I'm sure someone is going to try, at least. It'd be pretty neat if they did.

Actually replacing the style with Vergil's moveset probably can't be done, but people might try to replace some of Dante and Nero's animations with his, allowing them to actually use Yamato. Unfortunately, animation swapping produces messy and unstable results, so it'll require a lot of trial and error to end up with something that doesn't just cause an endless series of crashes and T-poses.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
THis might be a minor question, but what happens when you don't pretty any buttons on the main menu? What is the cinematic? Is it the original trailer with "shall never surrender"?

Dahbomb

THis might be a minor question, but what happens when you don't pretty any buttons on the main menu? What is the cinematic? Is it the original trailer with "shall never surrender"?
It's some new trailer for SE. Though we don't know what video plays in the OG DMC4 version.

Top Bottom