• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Reaaaaaaaaly?

Then how does he have Dante's pendant? Dante still had it in the last cutscene of DmC in both vanilla and DE. Was it a hallucination on Vergil's part? Can't be, because Eva reacts to it, unless she's a hallucination to. Is Eva a hallucination? Is she still alive? DID VERGIL REALLY JUST LEAVE HER BEHIND BECAUSE "Mommy loved Dante more"!? HE COULD HAVE HAD HIS MOTHER BACK! How is she so helpless? Vergil's angel powers work in hell, does Eva's not? Did she lose them? Has she really been running around hell like that for over a decade? What is that heart we constantly see with the holes in it which go away after he kills Kat and Dante and leave Eva behind? What are Dante and Kat? Demons masquerading as them? Was the "other" Vergil just another demon? Did it possess him when Vergil killed it? Did he die at the beginning and that's why he is in hell? Or was it just an out of body experience?

Why does he look like this in hell:

But go back to normal when he's back on Earth? I thought limbo collapsed and you could now see everyone for what they truly were? Hence, why everyone could see all the demons at the end of DmC.

Fucking hell, it works so much better as an unsubtle subconscious thing.
Yeah, the story in Vergil's Downfall is pretty crappy as well. Out of all the questions that you presented I only remember the answer to one of them, which is the reason that Vergil went to hell. At the end of DmC/beginning of Downfall, he comes very close to dying so he starts being pulled down to hell.

I feel like they talked about some of the other stuff like how Eva is there or what's up with Dante and Kat, but unfortunately I don't remember much about those parts.

I get that people are unhappy with MVCI (the game itself and the DLC practices) but MHW is looking like they are putting a ton of effort into it and people have been waiting for an new gen MH since forever.
Unlike MBS I don't want these games to fail, but when it comes to MHW I think they did a horrible job of introducing what the game actually is.

Like, I haven't played a single MH game before and the only knowledge that I had about it was a guess based on its name that its a game where you can go and hunt monsters. After that reveal, I still have zero extra information about it and the only thing that I know is that I was right, it was a game about killing monsters. And that's it.

I don't what's the point of these hunts. I don't know where we are. I don't know why we are here. I don't know why are we even fighting these things. I don't know who we are. I don't know how do you acquire these hunts. I don't know if we'll see a NPC in the game. I don't know if there is even a story. I don't know if it's an actual RPG with things like town and stuff.

They announced MHW with a pretty lengthy trailer yet the only thing that I know about it is the thing that I've already guessed from its name and that's the fact that you hunt monsters in this game.

I personally think it was one of weakest and most uninteresting reveals that I've seen in recent years. Especially since this was supposed to act as an interdiction for people like me who have never played MH and have no idea what the game is and how it works.

BadWolf

Unlike MBS I don't want these games to fail, but when it comes to MHW I think they did a horrible job of introducing what the game actually is.

Like, I haven't played a single MH game before and the only knowledge that I had about it was a guess based on its name that its a game where you can go and hunt monsters. After that reveal, I still have zero extra information about it and the only thing that I know is that I was right, it was a game about killing monsters. And that's it.

I don't what's the point of these hunts. I don't know where we are. I don't know why we are here. I don't know why are we even fighting these things. I don't know who we are. I don't know how do you acquire these hunts. I don't know if we'll see a NPC in the game. I don't know if there is even a story. I don't know if it's an actual RPG with things like town and stuff.

They announced MHW with a pretty lengthy trailer yet the only thing that I know about it is the thing that I've already guessed from its name and that's the fact that you hunt monsters in this game.

I personally think it was one of weakest and most uninteresting reveals that I've seen in recent years. Especially since this was supposed to act as an interdiction for people like me who have never played MH and have no idea what the game is and how it works.

It's just a reveal trailer.

How much could someone new to Uncharted figure out about the series from watching the Uncharted 4 reveal trailer?

MHW's trailer was at least mostly actual gameplay and showed new features.

It's just a reveal trailer.

How much could someone new to Uncharted figure out about the series from watching the Uncharted 4 reveal trailer?

MHW's trailer was at least mostly actual gameplay and showed new features.

Comparing it to Uncharted 4 is unfair because Uncharted is already a very very well known series among the PlayStation fans. You know what you can expect out of an Uncharted game even if they don't show a trailer for the game.

MH is not the same. PlayStation fans haven't had a big MH game since.... I don't even know if there has ever been a big AAA like console made MH game in the past on PS platforms.

You should compare the reveal of MHW to something like Horizon or Days Gone and not to a game like Uncharted. In those cases both Horizon and Days Gone did a much better job of telling me what their games were about, unlike MHW which just shows you a fight with a monster.

BadWolf

Comparing it to Uncharted 4 is unfair because Uncharted is already a very very well known series among the PlayStation fans. You know what you can expect out of an Uncharted game even if they don't show a trailer for the game.

MH is not the same. PlayStation fans haven't had a big MH games since.... I don't even know if there has ever been a big console made MH game in the past on PS platforms.

You should compare the reveal of MHW to something like Horizon or Days Gone and not to a game like Uncharted. In those cases both Horizon and Days Gone did a much better job of telling me what their games were about, unlike MHW which just shows you a fight with a monster.

MH isn't some unknown or obscure series, plenty of people know about it and the reveal trailer showed exactly what it is. A monster hunting game with multiplayer combat. They will show it plenty more before the game releases.

MH isn't some unknown or obscure series, plenty of people know about it and the reveal trailer showed exactly what it is. A monster hunting game with multiplayer combat. They will show it plenty more before the game releases.
They literally introduced it as a globally niche series. None of the Playstation circles that I'm a part of have any idea what a monster hunter game is, just like me and we didn't know any better after that reveal trailer.

If you are already a MH fan, then yeah of course you know what it is. But if MHW's reveal trailer is your first exposure to the series then you you are gonna be left with tons of questions about how the game will work and what the game actually is.

BadWolf

They literally introduced it as a globally niche series. None of the Playstation circles that I'm a part of have any idea what a monster hunter game is, just like me and we didn't know any better after that reveal trailer.

If you are already a MH fan, then yeah of course you know what it is. But if MHW's reveal trailer is your first exposure to the series then you you are gonna be left with tons of questions about how the game will work and what the game actually is.

You are left with tons of questions after any reveal trailer, most don't bother to show gameplay.

The difference here being that MH is a very old series and it will take you two seconds of google searching to find everything you need to know about it.

MBS

Banned
I remember playing the MH demo disc that came with DMC3 back in the day. Wasn't blown away by it at all in 2005, and I doubt I will in 2018. In fact I thought controls and presentation were kinda outdated even by '05 standards.

You are left with tons of questions after any reveal trailer, most don't bother to show gameplay.

The difference here being that MH is a very old series and it will take you two seconds of google searching to find everything you need to know about it.
Yes, but you also have a sense of what the game is, where is it taking place, who is the main character, etc etc. You don't get any of that with MHW. It's just a dude fighting a monster with zero context.

And no I'm definitely not going to understand what the series is and how MHW will work just by doing a 2 sec google search. But even if we say what you are saying is true, why should it be on me to figure out what the game is? They are trying the sell the game to me, it's not the other way around. I didn't have to do a google search to understand what Horizon is and I haven't done any research on Days Gone, yet I know what that game is about.

I don't know how MHW might turn out. It could be a really fun game and I might fall in love with it. But the truth is that they had a very very bad reveal trailer that was solely made for the current MH fans (Nintendo players) who have played and supported the series in the past decade, instead of trying ti introduce it to me as a PS player who basically has zero history with the series.

It's ironic that they did MHW to gain a new audience, yet announced it in a way that did a bad job of introducing it to that audience.

Dahbomb

Even for MH fans it was a bad trailer. People thought it was some spin off jank until the actual reports and impressions came from E3 that it's a real MH.

BadWolf

Yes, but you also have a sense of what the game is, where is it taking place, who is the main character, etc etc. You don't get any of that with MHW. It's just a dude fighting a monster with zero context.

That's Monster Hunter in a nutshell.

There is no 'main character'. There is no characterization and pretty much no story worth mentioning. It's a purely gameplay focused series.

That's Monster Hunter in a nutshell.

There is no 'main character'. There is no characterization and pretty much no story worth mentioning. It's a purely gameplay focused series.

Well, they didn't even make that apparent enough, I wouldn't have these questions if they had.

And now with that, I've lost all of my (already minuscule) interest in that game.

Well, they didn't even make that apparent enough, I wouldn't have these questions if they had.

And now with that, I've lost all of my (already minuscule) interest in that game.
I'm the opposite lol. BadWolf saying that it's a purely gameplay focused series actually piqued my interest.

Dahbomb

Yeah there is no story or "main character"... you just customize your character as you want.

It's all game play focused and the game play is focused on hunting monsters using various tools. And then when you kill a monster you get their stuff that you use to build armor and weapons off of.

The core game play loop in MH is fun but everything around it I have found rather clumsy or unfun. Stuff like gathering items, farming and general traversal is just not fun to me.

I'm the opposite lol. BadWolf saying that it's a purely gameplay focused series actually piqued my interest.

V5WJeYjp.gif

I'm actually somewhat interested in the new MH too. It's always been a series I've been curious about, but due to it not being available on anything I own, I haven't given it a decent look. If I can make a big Rube Goldberg machine to capture a mutant T-Rex... Yeah. I'm on board.

MBS

Banned
giphy.gif

He HAD to reply because of the Twitter backlash and because of my GAF thread a couple of days before :D :D

In other words, what caused him to comment on his game's absense from E3? People backfired on social media. Not for Dragon's Dogma or Deep Down, but mainly for DMC5. This is the most low-key DMC5 confirmation possible right now.

After E3, a lot of DMC fans (including myself) all rushed to his twitter account and started voicing their disappointment at DMC5 being a no show at E3. So I think it's safe to say that his tweet is mainly directed at DMC fans.

jett

D-Member
The posts after his tweets are nothing but DMC5 gifs.

Thirst is real.

lol

You know, looking at those little clips reminds me that DMC4 has better produced and directed cut-scenes than the so-called cinematic experts at Ninja Theory. While I ended up liking DmC, I just don't understand why they were brought on in the first place.

Anyway, even if DMC5 doesn't exist, at least Itsuno is working on something.

Sephzilla

Considering Ninja Theory was brought onto the franchise almost entirely for their storytelling/cinematic qualities as developers, it's amazing that those ended up being the worst aspects of the reboot.

jett

D-Member
Considering Ninja Theory was brought onto the franchise almost entirely for their storytelling/cinematic qualities as developers, it's amazing that those ended up being the worst aspects of the reboot.

I think selling Ninja Theory as a developer that's great at storytelling could be one of the biggest scams of the previous generation.

Sephzilla

I think selling Ninja Theory as a developer that's great at storytelling could be one of the biggest scams of the previous generation.

At the very least DmC revealed to the world that Ninja Theory should never be allowed to write for themselves. DmC's storytelling was offensively bad, and even by the DMC franchises low story standards it was pretty awful. DMC3 functions as a simple but at least straightforward and stable story. DmC's story absolutely crumbles the moment you put any sort of thought into it. Apparently Hellblade is another written in-house story, I fully expect that game to be a hot mess as well

jett

D-Member
At the very least DmC revealed to the world that Ninja Theory should never be allowed to write for themselves. DmC's storytelling was offensively bad, and even by the DMC franchises low story standards it was pretty awful. DMC3 functions as a simple but at least straightforward and stable story. DmC's story absolutely crumbles the moment you put any sort of thought into it. Apparently Hellblade is another written in-house story, I fully expect that game to be a hot mess as well

DmC is just a whole lot of nonsense, which isn't new to the franchise, but the cut-scenes are ugly and boring as fuck, which is something that NT introduced. :p

That Hellblade game doesn't look very good to me, looks like they ignored everything they learned while developing DmC, but I wish them the best regardless.

DmC tries way too hard to be cutting and relevant and merely ends up being high school edge because of it. It doesn't deep dive on any of the topics it purports to be about and just uses them to prop up the overall edginess. As said, it utterly falls apart the second you put a bit of thought into what is actually going on.

Vergil's Downfall is actively nonsense. At least when I thought it was all metaphorically in Vergil's mind it was merely completely unsubtle and completely unlikable. The fact it actually happens in hell? Complete nonsense.

Even the claim that "They know how to make cutscenes" falls apart when you realize that they frame almost every scene with a faux-handheld camera and constantly move the camera, making every single scene jumbled and unfocused with an obnoxious bloom going through water flecks filter at times. Even scenes that are supposed to be quiet and contemplative do this, so it was probably done because they thought it looked cool rather than for any functional reason. I would even say that the motion capture wasn't anything special for a game that came out in 2013 when that was also something they were supposed to be exceptional at. Enslaved seemed better and I'd attribute that to Andy Serkis.

MBS

Banned
A nice video for the lazy summer days: Here's the 2001 presentation of DMC featuring a Neo-like Shinji Mikami and a much younger Andrew House. When E3 was all about devs talking about their craft w/o all the flashy PR promo bullshit of present shows.

When the industry was a more family-like business and not the corporate hell of today. I miss that era.

Devil May Cry - E3 2001 - Presentation Shinji Mikami

Best thing about DmC outside of the post-patch combat is the environment art, which is truly lovely (with the exception of the heinously named 'silverman sachs' building stuff, all of which is fairly dull-looking) (and not to be confused with level design - the actual layouts/pacing of DmC levels are of equivalent quality to those of the main DMC games, which is to say that it's pretty mediocre). That's also the main *real* strength of Heavenly Sword and Enslaved.

But yeah, hell and that platforming-tutorial dimension where you can see what is apparently a giant chained-up Sparda in the distance are truly gorgeous.

Last thing I would want is for Capcom to waste precious budget on making a CG DMC movie.

All in on DMC5.

There was a time where I would've pined for a CG DMC movie but that was long before this lull between games, so I agree.

Also, I wonder how on tilt Jawmuncher would be if they made a CG Dino Crisis movie before a new game, I'd feel the same way if it were DMC at this point.

I've heard more DMC movie rumors/hints/news than DMC5 ones, through the years. Never take those seriously. Nothing will ever come out of them.

And this time, Kobayashi doesn't even talk about DMC specifically, and just says that he would love to make movies based on DMC, Dino Crisis and Sengoku Basara when he was asked a question about whether he would like to do them or not. So, it's basically a no news kind of thing.

That Hellblade game doesn't look very good to me, looks like they ignored everything they learned while developing DmC, but I wish them the best regardless.

That's because Rahni Tucker, DmC's combat designer and DE's creative director (you basically have to thank her for everything they fixed in DE), is not working on it. She is been working on something new for years now. I was excited to see what it was, but I'm starting to get worried that it might be in some kind of development hell, since it's taking so long.

BadWolf

A nice video for the lazy summer days: Here's the 2001 presentation of DMC featuring a Neo-like Shinji Mikami and a much younger Andrew House. When E3 was all about devs talking about their craft w/o all the flashy PR promo bullshit of present shows.

When the industry was a more family-like business and not the corporate hell of today. I miss that era.

Devil May Cry - E3 2001 - Presentation Shinji Mikami

Thanks for sharing.

Man, they both look so young.

jett

D-Member
The DE is already based on fan made patches for PC. However, there is no catch all mod for the game as far as I know, just a bunch of different mods.

Well I can't get the DE since it's not on PC lol. Seems like a pain, if I search for mods I just get all kinds of useless visual crap.

I know there's like a six-page changelist, but the main changes are the altered style meter and being able to hit enemies of any color with all your weapons, right?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well I can't get the DE since it's not on PC lol. Seems like a pain, if I search for mods I just get all kinds of useless visual crap.

I know there's like a six-page changelist, but the main changes are the altered style meter and being able to hit enemies of any color with all your weapons, right?

There's also the lock-on, some enemy behavioral changes, changes to gravity, changes to parry timing, stun, damage, devil trigger... it was a lot of adjustments.

Last thing I would want is for Capcom to waste precious budget on making a CG DMC movie.

All in on DMC5.

But if it's part of the package of Capcom bringing the franchise back (i.e. trying to make money off it being a multimedia franchise), that's arguably a much healthier approach to revenue streams than hoping for ten million sales or something.

diabl0

Top Bottom