• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Anyone tried MVCi? Cant put my finger on it but does Reubens voice sound off? or is it even Rueben for that matter?
It's Rueben. Voice direction in this game is wonky af, in gameplay but mostly in cutscenes. Plenty of quality voice actors in this demo alone, new and returning, and they all sound off. Dante sounds like the voice director wanted to force the crazy out of Rueben.

Time to investigate bois!

If you look at the "official" trailer for MvCI alone(that was not ripped straight from the press conference)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8seeZsWZ1CI

You'll notice that it cuts off right before the Dante scene and just fades into blackness
NOW!
I have come up with two plausible explanations for this phenomenon:
1- They were planning on showing DMC5 right after MvCI trailer, and that last bit was supposed to be part of DMC5's trailer, not MvCI. But something came up that prevented them from showing DMC5, could be time constraints, the new capcom plan, Sony cutting a deal for a PSX announcement, whatever.

Holy shit this actually makes a lot of sense. That conference trailer was absolutely made with the intention of cutting into a DMC5 tease. I'm willing to bet that something happened and they decided to pull DMC5's teaser after they've already made that trailer.

Fuck, we could've lived in post DMC5 world right now.

Problem is, even many of the hardest of hardcore fans have lost patience. This shit of "Oh, it would have been shown but they held off" is getting old real fast. Most forums are ghost towns, it's been out of the public consciousness for over four and a half years (nine and a half if we go by DMC 4), and the constant "This is the event" is making all but the most hardcore fans skeptical (I know I'm guilty of this, believe me). Next the excuse will be "Oh, they would have shown it at PSX, but they didn't want to steal thunder from it when they showed REmake 2" or whatever their next big title is.

Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite is the biggest bone we've gotten from Capcom in two years and even then Capcom fucks it up. Bad character model, wonky voice direction, lousy roster on Capcom's side especially. Everyone is getting short changed on that one.

Shit or get off the pot, Capcom.

What's funny is that DMC3, DMC4, and DmC were all franchise reboots to one extent or another. At least story-wise, they've all attempted to set up a 'safe' jumping-in point for new players and have been afraid to be a full-on sequel.

What the core fanbase *wants* is a direct story followup to DMC3, really.

It's really stifling the potential of the story for the franchise. Every time a team seems to get things rolling, Capcom "soft" reboots it or "hard" reboots it. As it stands, DmC fans will never get a resolution to the Vergil Downfall DLC cliffhanger. Hell, the Definitive Edition even took out the whole "I don't know if I'm human" thing at the end of DmC vanilla. Ninja Theory knows that avenue is closed. And if they do eventually go back to it, it'll be another "we waited almost a decade for this" situation like OG DMC fans are going through right now.

Anyone tried MVCi? Cant put my finger on it but does Reubens voice sound off? or is it even Rueben for that matter?

Chris sounds really off as well. Almost didn't believe it was Roger Craig Smith.

Sesha

People were reenergized by DMC4SE, but even the fumes of that are gone now. Ironically the deadest place of all major forums for DMC discussion besides IGN might be Capcom Unity.

In related news, Monster Hunter World uses MTFramework. Between Revelations 2, DMC4SE, other MH games and World, that baby's still putting in work and making its monies worth.

diabl0

Holy shit this actually makes a lot of sense. That conference trailer was absolutely made with the intention of cutting into a DMC5 tease. I'm willing to bet that something happened and they decided to pull DMC5's teaser after they've already made that trailer.

Fuck, we could've lived in post DMC5 world right now.

I suspected that as well. That ending was a blatant cock tease, and was surprised I couldn't actually find that version of the trailer that was at the conference.

My suspicion is they didn't want to detract from Monster Hunter: World, hence why it was cut.

I suspected that as well. That ending was a blatant cock tease, and was surprised I couldn't actually find that version of the trailer that was at the conference.

My suspicion is they didn't want to detract from Monster Hunter: World, hence why it was cut.

Considering the backlash both of those seem to be getting, Capcom could have used a knockout announcement. Well done Capcom on yet again making a poor decision.

MBS

Banned
Capcom are making such incredibly stupid decisions after 2010 that it feels like Dumb and Dumber are running the company, literally. They started killing in the previous gen with all those shining MT Framework titles such us Dead Rising, Lost Planet, DMC4, and even RE5 was great. Then after RE6 they completely lost track with what their audience wanted.

WHO THE HELL asked for a western-developed DmC in the first place, and why would you outsource one of your most successful IP's to a western dev after the critical and financial success that DMC4 was? We would be talking about DMC6 by now if that DmC game was actually a proper DMC5.. What kind of CEO dummies and Yes men are taking the decisions inside their staff board? Again, i think that after RE7 and their internal restructure there is hope, but with business decisions like MH on PS4 and MvC, i feel that they are still taking gambles and they somewhat lacking confidence.

That MvC trailer ending was so demoralizing really.. I tell you guys, don't get your hopes up for Gamescom. I'm betting at TGS or PSX at the latest. And all that IF the Itsuno title TBA this year is actually DMC5. If it's anything else, i don't really where we are going after that point. They could have pulled A SINGLE PLAIN LOGO, like Nintendo did with Metroid 4. Just announce it and i would be completely fine to not see anything at all for another 6 months or so.

Sephzilla

Capcom are making such incredibly stupid decisions after 2010 that it feels like Dumb and Dumber are running the company, literally. They started killing in the previous gen with all those shining MT Framework titles such us Dead Rising, Lost Planet, DMC4, and even RE5 was great. Then after RE6 they completely lost track with what their audience wanted.

WHO THE HELL asked for a western-developed DmC in the first place, and why would you outsource one of your most successful IP's to a western dev after the critical and financial success that DMC4 was? We would be talking about DMC6 by now if that DmC game was actually a proper DMC5.. What kind of CEO dummies and Yes men are taking the decisions inside their staff board? Again, i think that after RE7 and their internal restructure there is hope, but with business decisions like MH on PS4 and MvC, i feel that they are still taking gambles and they somewhat lacking confidence.

That MvC trailer ending was so demoralizing really.. I tell you guys, don't get your hopes up for Gamescom. I'm betting at TGS or PSX at the latest. And all that IF the Itsuno title TBA this year is actually DMC5. If it's anything else, i don't really where we are going after that point.

WeeklyExcitableHake.gif

A lot of the bad decisions from Capcom last generation can in some way be traced back to Inafune

MBS

Banned

That part getting cut from the Youtube version is definitely not a coincidence. I mean, why cut a segment that was there from the E3 showing in the first place? This tells me that they are aware of some things at the moment, at least on what the public's vibe is about..

diabl0

That part getting cut from the Youtube version is definitely not a coincidence. I mean, why cut a segment that was there from the E3 showing in the first place? This tells me that they are aware of some things at the moment, at least on what the public's vibe is about..

Just to add, Sony just confirmed they held back on Ps4 exclusives this E3:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/06/sony_we_held_ps4_exclusives_back_from_e3_2017

Whether DMC winds up a timed exclusive or not remains the question, but it seems very coincidental.

Sesha

DMC5 would make a bit of sense as a PS4 exclusive. The franchise has history with Sony, as has Capcom since the PS1. Currently Sony seems to have a really close relationship with Capcom, with SFV being exclusive, RE7 VR being (timed?) exclusive, and both as well as MvC: I, Umbrella Corps, MonHun World being announced at Sony conferences. MS seems to be working less and less with JP pubs. After Scalebound the only big JP exclusives AFAIK were Dead Rising 3 and 4, and DR is a franchise with close ties to MS and Xbox since the early 360 days, when they were more seriously working with JP devs and pubs with lots of exclusives.

Capcom seems careful with DMC after DmC. We've seen RE7, AAA HD console MH, SFV, Dead Rising 4, new MvC and Resident Evil 2 Remake all announced before it. Granted some of those franchises are bigger in sales, popularity and prestige than DMC. Still. It's possible in talks with Sony, that either suggested console exclusivity. Maybe Sony offered to grease the wheels a bit in return for console exclusivity, especially if Capcom was vary after DmC.

I'm not sure I believe it would happen, but stranger things etc etc. Before Sony's on the 12th, I would have said a much harder no. Now, I'm more open to the possibility.

MBS

Banned
Chances on 100% exclusivity are really slim imho. Their greedy asses won't gamble on losing profit from the Xbox user base. However timed-exclusivity is a possibility.

WeeklyExcitableHake.gif

A lot of the bad decisions from Capcom last generation can in some way be traced back to Inafune

It's amazing how the narrative changed from "Poor Inafune, mean Capcom wouldn't listen to him" to "the guy is just full of bad decisions, isn't he" in the last three or four years. Stuff like Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z, Mighty No 9, Red Ash, and insider info really blew his credibility.

Sephzilla

It's amazing how the narrative changed from "Poor Inafune, mean Capcom wouldn't listen to him" to "the guy is just full of bad decisions, isn't he" in the last three or four years. Stuff like Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z, Mighty No 9, Red Ash, and insider info really blew his credibility.

For what it's worth, I was always on #TeamInafuneWasTheProblem . I'm just glad Inafune made it more obvious to the rest of the world as time went on.

For what it's worth, I was always on #TeamInafuneWasTheProblem . I'm just glad Inafune made it more obvious to the rest of the world as time went on.

Same. Demanding that everything be 'westernized' and outsourced did so much damage to Capcom. That and (of course) losing so many of the phenomenally talented Clover staff.

MBS

Banned
Coming back to this graph, which i think is really important for the future of DMC5:

r08aAe0.png

Most of the franchises planned for/after fiscal 2017 are either released or developed. Dead Rising 4, SFV, RE7, and now MHW is announced, so most of the IP's on this graph are officially out of the way on their schedule. The only series left without an announcement is DMC and the "Other Series".

Dragon's Dogma isn't stated as a "major" series for them, and that "other series" could be anything from Deep Down (which we haven't seen until 2013) to another IP. So it only makes sense for DMC5 to be the next game for release after MHW.

Sesha

Coming back to this graph, which i think is really important for the future of DMC5:

r08aAe0.png

Most of the franchises planned for/after fiscal 2017 are either released or developed. Dead Rising 4, SFV, RE7, and now MHW is announced, so most of the IP's on this graph are officially out of the way on their schedule. The only series left without an announcement is DMC and the "Other Series".

Dragon's Dogma isn't stated as a "major" series for them, and that "other series" could be anything from Deep Down (which we haven't seen until 2013) to another IP. So it only makes sense for DMC5 to be the next game for release after MHW.

"Other" just means miscellanous in this case, I think. We've seen MvC Infinite, which was in development when this report came out. If Capcom is reviving more than just MvC, then it covers that as well.

This chart was for FY2013-2017, so April 1st, 2013 to March 31st, 2018. These reports are mostly for investors, so we'll possibly see a new chart for FY2018 and on in a future report.

AAK

I really wonder, what if a potential DMC5 ends up in a MvC:I situation? The game is relatively low budget with poorly designed character models along with the vast majority of the moves/animations/weapons/enemies being recycled from DMC4. Would you guys be happy with this outcome or would you rather let the series die with DMC4SE?

BadWolf

I really wonder, what if a potential DMC5 ends up in a MvC:I situation? The game is relatively low budget with poorly designed character models along with the vast majority of the moves/animations/weapons/enemies being recycled from DMC4. Would you guys be happy with this outcome or would you rather let the series die with DMC4SE?

Both RE7 and MHW got the proper attention so I'm not sure why DMC5 would be a copy/paste job.

It seems that it's their fighting games that they don't really care about as much.

Itsuno was stretching the DMC4SE budget to its limit to include playable Lady and Trish (which weren't part of the plan initially) so you know he cares. They also brought back the original cutscene director from DMC3 and DMC4 for the SE.

And honestly, looking at MVCI and MHW it seems like most of Capcom's quality artists/animators are working on MHW (and probably DMC5) at the moment.

After MHW being on MT Framework, I wonder if DMC5 might use that engine as well. I certainly hope not. I love MT to pieces but judging by REV2 and MHW, that engine does not look impressive for current gen games.

MBS

Banned
I wouldn't mind a heavily updated MT, it's still the most flexible engine you can get out there and it works really well with the art direction they 've used on DMC4. SE edition looks gorgeous on PS4 and imo better than DmC. Also, from what i remember reading the developer diary of DMC4 back in '06-'07, MT Framework has one of most accurate joint emulation and 60fps support (really important for hack 'n slash titles), from all the engines at the time. I know that it has been surpassed by now, but it only makes sense if they chose to continue with MT due to budget issues probably, or the 're moving to RE engine or UE4.

In the end of the day what matters is always the art direction and not necessarily the engine you 're working on.

I don't think the engine can support the current gen consoles very well. Even in 4SE when you look at Vergil's model (which is the only new character model that they've made for that game), it doesn't look that impressive and it's mostly just "fine for a remaster".

I don't think DMC5 can come out with visuals like that and expect the general audience to just easily accept it. Look at something like Nier Automata for instance. Even though it was an open world action RPG with very small budget and dev time, people still crapped all over its visuals. And you gotta consider that Neir was a very very niche series so the expectations weren't that high to begin with.

Devil May Cry on the other hand is not niche. A lot of people would be interested to see a new current gen DMC game. And the standards of industry (especially in regards to visuals) have changed a lot in the past decade that DMC was absent. I don't think any of the fans would mind a DMC5 that visually looks on par with DMC4SE, but you can bet the public will rip that game to shreds for not looking like a "real" current gen game.

diabl0

The sad reality is Devil May Cry has fallen so far behind in terms of tech regardless of engine. I remember when David Jaffe was making God of War and how he was inspired by Devil May Cry to make such a game and couldnt praise it enough. Come to God of War 3 and it literally pissed on Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Crys throne in terms of a technical marvel.

The new God of War may not be to everyones taste but im sure it will still be leaps and bounds ahead of what capcom could ever achieve. Ofcourse budget plays a huge factor, but capcoms talent has been incredibly stale too. Itsuno really needs to bring his A game if his new title is infact Devil May Cry, and begin taking a leaf from platinum and some western devs.

MBS

Banned
At least GOW will be there to ease the pain somewhat, it looks phenomenal and i can't wait to see what happened after 3. Although they 're moving away from old school hack n' slash to a more Souls-like experience with more focus on narrative. I wouldn't want to see DMC5 to move to similar direction, but for GOW it was never about hardcore gameplay, so i don't care as much.

I wouldn't say GoW is going to be Souls like per say. There are obvious similarities between them for sure, but if you rewatch the E3 trailer and focus on the action bits, that game seems to have nice amount of options for what you can do within its combat system.

The almost instantaneous ability to switch between hand to hand, axe and shield, should make it fun to experiment with the combos and how we might be able to do set-up for other crazy stuff (like the boy stunning that enemy in the trailer). I just hope that each style of play has enough different moves/combos to make the combat feel diverse and interesting.

@diabl0, that's true but Capcom doesn't really have anyone else to blame other than themselves. After early last gen, they became a mess and did so many stupid things with their games that drove away their fans. And looking at SFV and MvC:I, it seems like they still haven't learned their lessons.

Replayed a bit of Vanilla DmC this morning (no patches at all, no DLC, no DE version, console version). Maaaaan, I'd forgotten how disappointing the original release was. 30 fps, Demon Dodge shenanigans, crappier Angel Dodge, easy SSS ranks, Color-coded enemies only being damaged by specific weapons, Keys for secret doors, certain moves having an insane amount of active frames, wider parry windows, even more useless Devil Trigger, no manual lock, Bloody Palace being a downloadable, infinite air time with Angel Whip + Jump, no rank decay past S, lack of difficulty even on highest settings... the list goes on.

diabl0

@diabl0, that's true but Capcom doesn't really have anyone else to blame other than themselves. After early last gen, they became a mess and did so many stupid things with their games that drove away their fans. And looking at SFV and MvC:I, it seems like they still haven't learned their lessons.

So true. Ever since Capcom began "outsourcing", they have looked for ways to cheapen themselves and profit as much as they can. SFV and MvCI clearly have been made with a crappy budget in mind. People speak that RE7 is back to its roots etc, but think about how much a game of that calibur may have cost. Indie developers are achieving this because its actually not that expensive to build a game like RE7. You can create a barebone version of RE7 for under $1000 using licensed assets from the Unity store and a little bit of c# coding.

This then brings me to MH:W which looks seriously underwhelming. I genuinely fear what shortcuts are gonna be made if there is a DMC title.

Sephzilla

Replayed a bit of Vanilla DmC this morning (no patches at all, no DLC, no DE version, console version). Maaaaan, I'd forgotten how disappointing the original release was. 30 fps, Demon Dodge shenanigans, crappier Angel Dodge, easy SSS ranks, Color-coded enemies only being damaged by specific weapons, Keys for secret doors, certain moves having an insane amount of active frames, wider parry windows, even more useless Devil Trigger, no manual lock, Bloody Palace being a downloadable, infinite air time with Angel Whip + Jump, no rank decay past S, lack of difficulty even on highest settings... the list goes on.

Vanilla DmC is a bad game

Sesha

Yasuhiro Anpo (RE5, Rev 2) is directing, so I doubt it will be a ORC or UC-tier game. It's probably Revelations 3. Anything else and I'll be really surprised. Although kinda weird for the director of RE5 to be the captain of a sub-brand, though, while the director of Revelations moved on to the main series.

I'm so eagerly awaiting Capcom's yearly integrated report in July. There's always interesting stuff in it, even if it's just a financial advisor chewing their asses.

So I'm basically doing a replay of all Devil May Cry (sans 2... because fuck 2) to see where I want to see the franchise explore.

I'm actively laughing at the story execution in Vergil's Downfall. Not only is a whole bunch of character motivation that was never hinted at popping up, it paints Vergil in a kind of pathetic light. Right off the bat, I'm just going to say that I assume this takes place in his head. So much of this is obviously metaphorical and would make even less sense if it were to be actually happening in hell.

Because of Vergil's Downfall, I find it impossible to see Vergil as a tragic character like Vergil in the OG series.

He's apparently in love with Kat, but basically refers to her as a lesser being that was "useful" at the end of the game and easily leaves her for dead. He's apparently deeply insecure about Dante, but this never once comes up during the game and he never once talks with Dante about it. They end up fighting at the end of the game because he made the conscious decision to deceive both Dante and Kat about his true intentions (that, he he was that oblivious about the other's motivations) and just kind of springs it on them at the last second. Then, instead of trying to talk to the other two about his intentions, he goes right to fighting Dante to the death.

So Vergil decides to kill mental versions of Kat and Dante with both Kat and Dante sounding demonic and Dante looking like this:

All while conversing with his dark subconscious in front of the holes in his heart

And the vision of Kat actually brings up DAMN GOOD POINTS! He used Dante and Kat, says just as much, and then wants to rule the world referring to humans "subjects".

He then leaves his own mother behind because "She always loved Dante more" or some shit and he sees it as a way to make himself less "weak". All done with dialogue including:

Eva: "Where's your heart?"

Vergil: "I no longer have one, mother."

And just before this, he's talking in a funny voice which was poorly delivered by the VA saying things like "Almost there....". I mean, what the fuck am I supposed to do with this?

And it's all done with poorly animated, hard to parse animation which looks like this:

KaBa7P.gif

Finally, he stabs his own heart (again, I'm assuming this is metaphorical) and ends up looking like:

Which actually looks more like this in game:

Again, it's really hard to see him as a tragic character like DMC 3's Vergil because he is actively doing this to himself for little reason. And all I can think is "We gave up Uncle Dante for this shit?"

Sesha

I'm doing a mini translation now.

Edit: The google translation is fairly on point. Here's my quick translation:

Q: "Will there be new releases for Devil May Cry and Onimusha?"

A: "User demand is high. However, we have our hands full at the moment. Looking forward, we are taking it into consideration. We want to raise the IPs visibility on the PlayStation platform, pachinko and so on."

The other questions are just about Nintendo Switch and VR.

Village

That art with virgil with white coat actually looks pretty cool

I'm glad people know the lore now.

MBS

Banned
I'm doing a mini translation now.

Edit: The google translation is fairly on point. Here's my quick translation:

Q: "Will there be new releases for Devil May Cry and Onimusha?"

A: "User demand is high. However, we have our hands full at the moment. Looking forward, we are taking it into consideration. We want to raise the IPs visibility on the PlayStation platform, pachinko and so on."

The other questions are just about Nintendo Switch and VR.

This has been posted on Reddit for quite some time now.

Taking his wording bit by bit (if there's some other meaning lost in translation):

IF their hands are full at the moment and both games are up into consideration, then Itsuno is not working on DMC5. If he's referring to just Onimusha, then it makes sense because he states "it" and he wants to raise IP's visibility. If a franchise needs extra visibility, is not DMC, is Onimusha. So by that statement he most likely (and hopefully) refers to Onimusha.

However if we consider their roadmap schedule graph as still valid, Oni is not in the list of franchises that they have in their mind for the future. Each sequel after 2 sold gradually less and abysmally in EU, and they killed the series after Dawn of Dreams which sold poorly.

^^
I wouldn't worry about it. That's just a standard PR answer saying that they have nothing to announce atm.

And Street Fighter.
Street Fighter is dead luce. FANG killed it!

/s

Right off the bat, I'm just going to say that I assume this takes place in his head. So much of this is obviously metaphorical and would make even less sense if it were to be actually happening in hell.

The director of Vergil's Downfall confirmed that it was happening in actual hell. So, yeah...

MBS

Banned
SFV heavily underperformed selling 1.6 million on PS4-PC, 400k less of what they had predicted. Do they think that delivering compromised and half-assed games really pay dividends for them? Definitely not. I hope MHW and MvCI tank as well.

Again, it's really hard to see him as a tragic character like DMC 3's Vergil because he is actively doing this to himself for little reason. And all I can think is "We gave up Uncle Dante for this shit?"

To be fair, that may really be part of limbo. It could be just everything being twisted and exagerrated till you go nuts.

And lol, DMC3 Vergil literally lead himself to his own downfall. He went out to get Sparda's power for personal reasons that games never covered. He decided to fall into hell because that's were daddy used to be. He threw himself at Mundus because pride.

The director of Vergil's Downfall confirmed that it was happening in actual hell. So, yeah...

Reaaaaaaaaly?

Then how does he have Dante's pendant? Dante still had it in the last cutscene of DmC in both vanilla and DE. Was it a hallucination on Vergil's part? Can't be, because Eva reacts to it, unless she's a hallucination to. Is Eva a hallucination? Is she still alive? DID VERGIL REALLY JUST LEAVE HER BEHIND BECAUSE "Mommy loved Dante more"!? HE COULD HAVE HAD HIS MOTHER BACK! How is she so helpless? Vergil's angel powers work in hell, does Eva's not? Did she lose them? Has she really been running around hell like that for over a decade? What is that heart we constantly see with the holes in it which go away after he kills Kat and Dante and leave Eva behind? What are Dante and Kat? Demons masquerading as them? Was the "other" Vergil just another demon? Did it possess him when Vergil killed it? Did he die at the beginning and that's why he is in hell? Or was it just an out of body experience?

Why does he look like this in hell:

But go back to normal when he's back on Earth? I thought limbo collapsed and you could now see everyone for what they truly were? Hence, why everyone could see all the demons at the end of DmC.

Fucking hell, it works so much better as an unsubtle subconscious thing.

To be fair, that may really be part of limbo. It could be just everything being twisted and exagerrated till you go nuts.

And lol, DMC3 Vergil literally lead himself to his own downfall. He went out to get Sparda's power for personal reasons that games never covered. He decided to fall into hell because that's were daddy used to be. He threw himself at Mundus because pride.

I think that's why it works better for me. Instead of getting cutscenes about how "Mommy never loved me enough" and then abandoning her in hell and contradictory emotions regarding Kat (She's a subject who's useful. Actually, I really like her and am super hurt that she likes Dante more. Actually, according to a prequel novel, I love her) and killing her; DMC Vergil's motivations are vague, leaving you to fill in the blanks yourself. In my mind, he wants power to protect himself so that nothing like what happened on the night that his mother died happens again. Hence, "Foolishness, Dante, foolishness. Might controls everything, and without strength, you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself." And it's true, his pride is his downfall like with many characters.

BadWolf

SFV heavily underperformed selling 1.6 million on PS4-PC, 400k less of what they had predicted. Do they think that delivering compromised and half-assed games really pay dividends for them? Definitely not. I hope MHW and MvCI tank as well.

I get that people are unhappy with MVCI (the game itself and the DLC practices) but MHW is looking like they are putting a ton of effort into it and people have been waiting for an new gen MH since forever.

Top Bottom