• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker |OT| at Last

Xenoflare

So generally in SMT games its better to put all your points into one thing. Would to recommend strength build or magic build for first play through? Magic probably, right?

I always tend to have a bias to magic but there are plenty of people out there who favor physical builds.

The only game I had no magic bias was Persona Q, but I digress.

I usually do a 60/40 split between magic and speed. Striking first/extra turns are important too.

Swamped

Banned
I always tend to have a bias to magic but there are plenty of people out there who favor physical builds.

The only game I had no magic bias was Persona Q, but I digress.

I usually do a 60/40 split between magic and speed. Striking first/extra turns are important too.

Just go pure magic since that's what mostly everyone else does at first

Thanks! Sounds like I'll stick to good old magic first.

I've been playing through Triangulum and mostly wrecking everything in my path thanks to NG+. And then I hit Tico's Challenge.

Protip: don't do Tico's Challenge unless you know what you're doing.

Swamped

Banned
Wow Phecda is the worst boss ever. Took nearly 10 times for me to finally beat it.

I thought Megrez was waay worse lol.

I'm really enjoying this game a lot - because it's one of games I bought knowing exactly what to expect in terms of gameplay and story, and knowing that it's exactly my cup of tea. In fact, I'm enjoying this more than the first game game, I think the characters in this one are more interesting. Currently on Day 4, so plenty more Devil Survivor goodness to come!

Semajer

My PAL copy arrived today. I'm enjoying it so far, but I've yet to see a five star Poltergeist in the auction yet. They do exist, don't they?

Xenoflare

My PAL copy arrived today. I'm enjoying it so far, but I've yet to see a five star Poltergeist in the auction yet. They do exist, don't they?

I'm sure they do. Maybe you'll have to advance the story a bit

Geez it's been a while since I played this game.

Semajer

I'm sure they do. Maybe you'll have to advance the story a bit

Geez it's been a while since I played this game.

Thanks. I've seen all but three of the current demons appear with five stars. Poltergeist is one of the first available, so I assumed it should already be capable of appearing with five stars.

Mine arrived today. But because I'm busy with uni work
and a newly developed FFXIV addiction
, I probably won't play it for awhile.

I loved the first one so I'm going in with high hopes, even though I do know the story for this is less good.

Yo I started today and I'm frankly appalled by Io's character. She's written fucking terribly like in some 80s Anime. I'd prefer a Yuzo clone over this.

I tried the first game out, and while I was enjoying it I could not pass the first boss for the life of me.

Should I play this on 'blessed' difficulty?

ohlawd

when the alternative is not playing the game at all

yes, go play on blessed. there are worse things out there than playing on a lower difficulty

Yeah I'm no stranger to SPRGS or SMT games but for some reason I couldn't pass that boss. Might just play on the lower difficulty

ohlawd

DS2 has a better cast than 1, bro

Io alone is enough for you to think 2 is worse? step back and breathe a little

So I've been playing this on and off for the past month or so in bursts. Now 40 hours in, near the end of Day 5 (Septentrione Arc), characters are averaging Lv.38 - 41. Loving it to the point that it'll 100% make my GOTY list.

Wondering a couple of things though. How much of this Arc do I have left? And how long is the Triangulum Arc?

Xenoflare

So I've been playing this on and off for the past month or so in bursts. Now 40 hours in, near the end of Day 5 (Septentrione Arc), characters are averaging Lv.38 - 41. Loving it to the point that it'll 100% make my GOTY list.

Wondering a couple of things though. How much of this Arc do I have left? And how long is the Triangulum Arc?

You have
two full days plus the final day for the final boss

Tri arc is
2 full days shorter. You start out at Level 20

You have
two full days plus the final day for the final boss

Tri arc is
2 full days shorter. You start out at Level 20

I'm guessing the Tri arc will be smoother sailing compared to the Sept arc. Had a lot of teething issues at the start like I always seem to in SMT games before the game clicks.

Xenoflare

I'm guessing the Tri arc will be smoother sailing compared to the Sept arc. Had a lot of teething issues at the start like I always seem to in SMT games before the game clicks.

Tri arc is meant to be played after Sep arc for sure.

The clear file applies to both arcs, if you used your clear file for sep arc your tri arc is going to be very smooth.

Yes, I'm trying to reply the sep arc from the ground up again and the early game is very annoying to get through

magnetic

I bought and played both games almost 3 years ago, but didn´t really know the depth and complexities of the SMT systems and thus didn´t get far in both of them and burned out on them very quickly.

A few days ago I got Overclocked during the Atlus sale for just 12€ and realized that I still like this brand of SRPG a lot (I never liked any other SRPG nearly as much, weirdly enough) and after playing Strange Journey and SMTIV I now understand the intricacies a lot more.

And man, Recorder Breakers feels like a MUCH more polished port than Overclocked. The new content is easily the biggest draw, but there´s a lot of small changes in the presentation - much nicer damage popups, these subtle gradients whenever an enemy suffers from a status effect, and the elemental effects seem better as well.

I also like that the new campaign starts you right with lv20 and a bunch of great skills and demons right from the get go - since I just played a new save on Overclocked a few days ago I really didn´t feel like starting with those shitty early game demons yet again.

And the battlefield graphics and battle backgrounds look better than ever. Such nice pixel art - for some reason this game makes me feel much more like I´m in an actual urban environment than SMTIV did, even though that one made me actually move through it in third person rather than top-down. The art in the Devil Survivor games just is really nicely put together.

And after playing a lot of SMTIV, Soul Hackers and Strange Journey, I´m SO HAPPY to not having to talk to demons all the time. It´s a fun little feature early on, but it gets so repetetive after a while. Just outright buying them is much more convenient, and the actual cool part (demon art and their skills) is still as fun as ever.

The music is also leaps and bounds above Overclocked - I only really liked the final boss theme (and the opening theme of Overclocked, almost grunge-like), which I never really got to hear aside from YouTube since the game kicked my ass so much. I kinda like the raw energy of the battle themes, but it gets incredibly annoying after a while, especially since there´s so few tracks in that game. Since music is so important to me in a game, Record Breaker is much more enjoyable to play.

Definitely my new favorite SMT game. I thought I was going to wait for the inevitable eshop sale, but I don´t regret buying this full price at all. It´s such a good game and the new production quality makes it shine even more. Really surpassed my expectations and I pray for a Devil Survivor 3 somewhere in the future. Given how much attention they have given this new version, I´d say (or hope) it isnt´entirely unlikely!

cj_iwakura

Just turn down the music in the settings, but yes the max voice volume for this game is very low. Or rather the music just overpowers it.

I turned up the voice, but I can barely hear the BGM. Why do Atlus hate the 3DS so much? Or is it the other way around?

Top Bottom