• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker |OT| at Last

Yaaas, beat the Septentrione arc. Hard as nails, but it's over.

Anguished One's Ending Spoilers

Meh ending. Felt anticlimactic. Saiduq just plopped them in a new world and peaced.

It also left some things unclear, like how humanity proceed from there, if they can still summon demons, etc.

lol I think the game was more stingy with Survivor Points than the first game,I only got a measly 140 :p

Its easier to get all the rewards than Overclocked (there's ~twice a many points as you need) but you'll get peanuts for your first run unless you do Daichi's
and get the Triumphant modifier by recruiting everyone but the Anguished One.
, most of the points are hidden behind that and stuff that simply can't be done on a 1st run. Well you could do No Team Leader Deaths and No Free Battles but I can't see either of them being time efficient on a 1st run since No Free Battles will really hurt your skill cracks and No Leader Deaths would involve a looot of resetting .

Moonlight

Banned
Holy shit, fuck the Phecda fight. It wouldn't even be so bad if Mabufu wouldn't keep proccing freeze on my physical attackers literally every turn.

Soulflarz

Banned
Holy shit, fuck the Phecda fight. It wouldn't even be so bad if Mabufu wouldn't keep proccing freeze on my physical attackers literally every turn.

I don't really use the tactic myself, but resume+soft reset (Save scum) spam :V

so much shoji music only used for like .5% of the game ;_;

andd done!

Triumphant Restorer / Ronaldo spoilers

I seem to be 1-2 relationship points behind where I should be with Ronaldo to get Triumphant. I think that should be fine since it looks to me like Ronaldo ends up with 6 extra points and there's a +3 even in between when he should get Fate 4 and Fate 5 (since you can only go up 1 level at a time). Can anyone confirm ? I've clearly chosen the wrong option somewhere but I've backtracked through 3 different walkthroughs and a Japanese wiki and I can't see where. Only thing I can think of is that in the Power Outage event that Ronaldo and the last demon mutual suicided.

Xenoflare

I don't really use the tactic myself, but resume+soft reset (Save scum) spam :V

so much shoji music only used for like .5% of the game ;_;

andd done!

You gotta admit those music are awesome

The final boss track for Canopus was *the* one track I was looking forward to, yet it's only used once throughout the entire game

Overall I prefer 2's OST over the first one. The first one may suit the atmosphere though.

ahdurian

first time playing DS2, and I feel like I'm overleveled like hell....
Mains are all Lvl18+, with their demons ranging from 14-20, and just started Day 2
damn those DLC missions....other than EXP I don't see the benefits of them really....i need Macca T_T

Xenoflare

first time playing DS2, and I feel like I'm overleveled like hell....
Mains are all Lvl18+, with their demons ranging from 14-20, and just started Day 2
damn those DLC missions....other than EXP I don't see the benefits of them really....i need Macca T_T

The Macca doesn't really start piling on until the latter half of the game.

Goddamn, Otome is basically invincible when set up as a healing squad. She almost soloed all the monsters so that everyone else could focus on Bifrons.

Any tips on getting more add-on bonuses? I need two Release Commands, but I seem to be cycling through the add-ons really slowly (I only got one Release Command in my Septentrione playthrough).

ohlawd

Any tips on getting more add-on bonuses? I need two Release Commands, but I seem to be cycling through the add-ons really slowly (I only got one Release Command in my Septentrione playthrough).

always aim for a high macca bonus

it adds up so something like 2500% macca bonus in free battle will get you an add on. just 500% on story events.

the DLC tomorrow makes it easier to get add-ons

ahdurian

god dammit...the timing messed me up with the events and
Jungo ended up dying....i saved before that fight too so I can't save everyone like i wanted to

i'm actually thinking of restarting cuz of this....

BlackJace

Jungo ended up dying....i saved before that fight too so I can't save everyone like i wanted to

Best physical attacker I think. 40 St by endgame.

Best physical attacker I think. 40 St by endgame.

He's the best St/Vit physical attacker (and the best Early and Mid Game physical attack too since Agi based Physical attackers have a pretty slow start). Hinako is the best physical attacker due to 40 Str and 40 Agi and Multi-Strike (though she won't get Drain Hit on a first playthrough she'll get it in time for the serious bonus boss fights). Keita and Daich are probably better than Jungo, in practice, for the same reason but you can only use one of Hinako, Daichi or Keita at a time due to the skills shortage.

Xenoflare

NO YOU KILLED BEST BOY OF THE GAME

But seriously I really liked Jungo and I would restart knowing how OCD I am. Him and Fumi are my go-to members. Fumi being the one with
40MA at lv55, Jungo is ST of course

Speaking of, anyone is playing this on a N3DS with an IPS screen? The top screen on mine is really dim and some of the white texts are looking like.... blue.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Recently started the game and I has question:

I notice that Persona don't stay perma-dead (playing on easier mode if that makes a difference), but I just had my first game over with a human. The game over screen popped up and then it asked me if I wanted to go back to the title screen, or "keep what you earned" or whatever and start the battle again. I closed the 3DS before I choose, just in case it does a quick save or whatever. Will I just save the levels I earned, or will be Personas still stay dead?

Also in the new mode in Record Breaker, the new arc you can pick at the beginning, is it short or like an entire NG+ sort of thing?

TWILT

Banned
On day 7 and I took the
Daichi
path. I actually got all the endings on the original on the DS before, but I still gotta try the new 2nd arc after I'm done, so yeah. Got Multi-Strike, and forgot how much it destroys everything*. Phys Amp, Pierce, Ares Aid, and you're oneshotting everything omg.

*Until you run into an enemy with Reflect Phys and YOU'RE the one getting destroyed :(

Recently started the game and I has question:

I notice that Persona don't stay perma-dead (playing on easier mode if that makes a difference), but I just had my first game over with a human. The game over screen popped up and then it asked me if I wanted to go back to the title screen, or "keep what you earned" or whatever and start the battle again. I closed the 3DS before I choose, just in case it does a quick save or whatever. Will I just save the levels I earned, or will be Personas still stay dead?

It will restart the fight with your characters keeping any XP they earned (so if you leveled up during the fight, you start it again at that level), but at full health and everyone at their starting positions.

Also in Devil Survivor (and every other SMT spin-off that isn't persona) they're called demons, not personas. Yes, they use the same names/portraits, but they're different.

Also in the new mode in Record Breaker, the new arc you can pick at the beginning, is it short or like an entire NG+ sort of thing?

It is shorter than the main game (I'd say about half the length), and is a continuation of sorts for the 'best ending' of the original game. After you finish the main story, you can import your character as NG+ into the main campaign again, or you can import to the Triangulum arc with your characters as NG+. Likewise after you finish Tri, you can import back again into Tri or the main campaign, and so on and so on.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It will restart the fight with your characters keeping any XP they earned (so if you leveled up during the fight, you start it again at that level), but at full health and everyone at their starting positions.

Also in Devil Survivor (and every other SMT spin-off that isn't persona) they're called demons, not personas. Yes, they use the same names/portraits, but they're different.

It is shorter than the main game (I'd say about half the length), and is a continuation of sorts for the 'best ending' of the original game. After you finish the main story, you can import your character as NG+ into the main campaign again, or you can import to the Triangulum arc with your characters as NG+. Likewise after you finish Tri, you can import back again into Tri or the main campaign, and so on and so on.

Yeah my bad, I'm also playing Persona right now too :p

Anyhow, good to know that you can keep going back to fight. Very useful as someone tired from another grindy game. Also glad Triangulum isn't an entire full-length game either.

Thanks for all the info :)

Vena

Finally beat Triangulum (having first gone through Sept, again) with a full party of 90+ demons lol. Was pretty fun stomping through everything
except Arcturus
, lol.

That said, I rolled through both endings and I honestly think that (ending opinions)
AOs ending is the better of the bunch as it is the most 'down to earth' even if its extremely bittersweet. The Yamato ending is a bit too sugar happy for me.

Velcro Fly

Day 2 boss down.

Got a little bogged down with the adds but pressed on and was able to win the fight.

Also I'm pretty sure I've guessed part of the story already since I recognized the name of the first day boss and definitely now that I've seen two of them know where those names are from. I'm betting it's not a coincidence either.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Day 2 boss down.

Got a little bogged down with the adds but pressed on and was able to win the fight.

Also I'm pretty sure I've guessed part of the story already since I recognized the name of the first day boss and definitely now that I've seen two of them know where those names are from. I'm betting it's not a coincidence either.

I'm a bit ahead. They'll piece that bit together themselves real soon for you. Doesn't really answer many questions for me though.

Xenoflare

About the ending for the Tri arc

I maxed out Miyako and Alcor's fate to 5, but they didn't appear in the Break Record ending, what gives?

ohlawd

Yes.
It ended with the beginning trio at the beach with no signs of Miyako or Alcor

what the fuck

not to spoil directly but I got Miyako to show up then Alcor less than a minute later before the credit roll. there's more to that beach scene too

I teared up. feels so good lol. love the cast in DS2 so much.

Xenoflare

what the fuck

not to spoil directly but I got Miyako to show up then Alcor less than a minute later before the credit roll. there's more to that beach scene too

Yeah this is weird.
I definitely raised their fates to the max. It just.... ended

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I just finished everything.

Went though The sept arc once since I did all of those endings on the old game. Was better than I remembered.

But the Triangulum arc! It blew me away, I didn't know how substantial it would be. Story was great. Bosses were great. Fate events were great.

Damn, what a great game.

TWILT

Banned
Annd just finished the Triangulum part of the game. I really really enjoyed it.

It was really cool seeing every character to have "grown" in their own way during each of their new Fates. Characters like Keita who was kinda unsufferable at times during the Sept. arc, I actually thought was pretty cool now. I've really grown to really like Miyako; her fate scenes were pretty touching and I remember laughing so hard during one of her scenes with Yamato. Actually, I thought most of the new Fate scenes put a smile on my face in some way. Really enjoyed the Trig arc if you couldn't tell. :p
I got the
Record Breaker ending. It seemed like the best "happy" ending (and I'm too much of a sucker for those lol), and I almost teared up at the end. I thought the final boss had a really cool and epic atmosphere...even if it was pretty easy, though that's my fault for starting the arc in NG+ mode lol. Seriously, Multi-Strike doing 1000+ damage with the Factor power was hilarious lol. Really enjoyed the ending of course, made me really happy at the end.

Not sure what I'll do now. I already got all the endings in the original; maybe I'll just go and unlock all the fusions again (I screwed up and didn't unlock Black Frost the first time around >_>)? And I still have Xenoblade to finish too ahhh...

Velcro Fly

On to the 3rd day now. Feel like I'm not doing well with Fates. It's my first playthrough so I'm basically going by feel at this point.

Joint Skill Crack is enough to make me want to rank up with everyone though.

I really am enjoying the game. I feel for the characters and the team building system with auctions and everyone getting two demons is really fun.

For real though Daichi has been my powerhouse the first two days. Couple nice physical demons with him just wrecked stuff. Definitely was star of the show for the Day 2 boss.

Oh God. Were the last 2 days of Sept always this fricking irritating ?

The last 2 fights on Saturday are full of ridiculous cheese. And the map for picking up the skills you had to miss on Day 7 due to a lack of slots on Day 8 is awful , its impossible to reach the memory cards in less than 2 turns and the rate of the memory cards dropping skills is awful. Its been a very long while since I've been this tempted to put very expensive equipment through a wall.

Velcro Fly

The Macca DLC has been giving me decent skill cracks. My team is high teens/low 20s and I was basically able to clear the map since most stuff won't attack unless you completely block the choke point. You can get some good XP from it too. I'm not sure about the other DLC but this one seems to have it all. Perfect for people that don't want the struggle.

I feel like for where I'm at getting Ma spells might be OP. I will never complain about having Macca to mess around with fusing and team building though.

In my experience, from DeSu2 NG+, its less the high powered skills that wreck things (since you're still limited by mana and stats) and more that things are a loooot easy when you don't have to worry about killing what with who to get your skill cracks.

So the last Demon Spotpass pack came out today. Just leaves the skills pack now.

Also just finished my Triumphant Restorer Sept game and decided to head into Tri , since they've changed the points for the Titles and cost for Survivor Awards, I don't have the points to setup for a NG+ Kingmaker run hitting all the bonus bosses and Focused/Undefeatable.

ohlawd

what's in the skill pack?

the spotpass demons are bs. they locked away all the demons I used to use. I'll probably start a fresh run next year to mimic the DS version

NeonZ

Aren't the spotpass demons all new additions to Devil Survivor 2? Quite a few of them were in Overclocked though (and they're all reused Kaneko illustrations).

ohlawd

Aren't the spotpass demons all new additions to Devil Survivor 2? Quite a few of them were in Overclocked though (and they're all reused Kaneko illustrations).

yeah that's right. I'm just sayin tho. they were available right off the bat in the vanilla version of DS2.

PK Gaming

Just beat Record Breaker, and I just gotta talk (Triangulum spoilers)

The flashback sequence at the beginning was pretty humorous. Yeah I remember... all of that. Sooo, what's going on? Ah I see... the Triangulum... So apparently everyone's character development carried over, sweet. Miyako Hotsuin'... better than I thought. I'm glad the MC's dialogue responses are as crazy as ever. Miyako >>> Yamato. Daichi, still a bro. Gosh, everyone's so awesome now. WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT DREAM THOUGH. Arcturus...! Okay that was awful but where was Bunny though?!? Nooooo, MC stay with us... Man I still hate Yamato, fuck that guy. Where's Yamato. SAIDUQ, WHERE YOU AT I really, really like the cast now. OTOMEEEEE. Tico Tico best Tico. GOD. EVERYONE IS SO AWESOME NOW. Spica ain't shit. Okay, Spica is the shit... gotta make sure it's vulnerable to phys skills. Okay, Arcturus showed up and fucked us pretty badly. What is going on. Be gentle, sweet Fumi. Oh man, things are heating up. STOP. CORRUPTING. MY DATA. ARCTURUS. Damn, what are going to do... YAMATO'S BACK! Yamato? More like Yamabro! I knew he was a good character. Time to make Shiki-Ouji my bitch. Soul Bind huh, so you're basically telling me I gotta step up AND BE A BADASS, okay. Jesus christ, that Arcturus boss battle was incredible, straight up on of my favorite battles in games, period. MIYAKO WHAT ARE YOU DOING. Okay so we've defected from JPs. Who wants to smores? The operation went smoothly, it's time to parteh. Damn Otome is such a tease. I love her. Actually, I love each and every character now ♪ Okay so Miyako wants to sacrifice us all to save the world. Anyone got a plan that isn't total garbage? No??? Guess i'll have to find one!! Operation "let's jack the Dragon Stream" is a go. Daichi got captured? Damn, that's truly unfortunate. Let's keep going. Okay so Miyako finally wants to go? Damn girl, reflecting phys like that... Just gonna to snipe her with Holy Dance + Evil Flow. Evil Flow is so broken, lol. Relax Io, just fuck already. Okay Miyako detained and the world is rapidly ending. So 3 choices huh?

-Disregard logic and fight the administrators...forever (lol)
-Sacrifice myself (lets be real, i'm going to be the one to do it) and become an administrator (nah)
Bet on humanity for a world free from the admnistrators. The redux on the triumphant ending (yes)

So shit happens. I talk to Miyako. She says we have to beat the divine order of the universe if we want things to go or way. I say who? She says, basically God. I go, cool let's fucking kick his ass. Saiduq's like, no you can't beat Canopus that's like beating water with water, then Yamato's like "guys... what if we Skill Cracked... God." So I get pumped up. Hyped. We're doing this. We're making it happen!

(Insert a bunch of events in which I bond with pretty much the entire cast)

did i mention that i really like the ds2 cast now? i don't think i stressed it enough

So we do the thing and teleport to where Canopus is. The first phase was annoying... I knew it was going to be a long fight so I had to make sure I got through the first phase unscathed. "You have now cracked Heat and your spells are super baller now." Gotta say, getting godlike power was super satisfying. Taking on the other 3 forces was no biggie, but the big bad himself was a pain. That constant AoE move in addition to his fangs (which were goddamn assassins) and barriers that were hard to break. It was a struggle, but I barely pulled through. Thank you Yoshitsune.

"Congratulations x 15"

I got my Golden ending and all is right in the world. Everyone's so happy. Damn i'm so happy.

Al Saiduq: Surf's up dudes~

So in short, I really liked the Triangulum arc

:lol

yeah that's right. I'm just sayin tho. they were available right off the bat in the vanilla version of DS2.

No they weren't. The Spotpass Demons are the new/8th Day demons from Overclocked that weren't in DeSu2 at all. The reason they are all special fusions is to prevent their presence screwing up the old fusion patterns. Though the screwed up one of them anyway due to the anime making a stupid mistake and using one of the bonus bosses as a fusion material for Satan (so thanks for that too terrible anime).

ohlawd

lol my crap memory. you're right. I loaded up my vanilla DS2 file and I can't find any of the spotpass demons in the compendium. was I really thinking of Overclocked all this time? lord.

oh and the old OP was so good

Xenoflare

what the fuck

I got it this time.

It seems like the ending
is like Daichi's extra ending where certain events must be seen in order for the extended epilogue to play.

I really cried a little when everyone gathered up at the beach

Also why is Fumi in her JP's jacket while Makoto and Yamato are not? :p

I'm sort of working on a Fate 5 for everyone Triangulum guide at the moment (based on a Japanese guide). But I'm having trouble matching up some of the choices / correct answers. So basically I'm recording my playthrough and testing how things go.

You know, I respect people who prefer the first game's characters and story, but... honestly, I think that these are way better than those. A lot of them are only vaguely memorable. Some characters I can't even remember what they look like! Plus, that game had a couple characters who I really didn't like, while I don't really dislike any characters in this one.

You know, I respect people who prefer the first game's characters and story, but... honestly, I think that these are way better than those. A lot of them are only vaguely memorable. Some characters I can't even remember what they look like! Plus, that game had a couple characters who I really didn't like, while I don't really dislike any characters in this one.

While I vastly prefer the DS2 cast to the first game's (especially after the Triangulum arc), I do think that DS1 has a better story and atmosphere. That game really seemed worthy of the name "Devil Survivor", as everything felt much more desperate and hopeless.

I can't understate though how much I prefer DS2's characters. Other than Atsuro, nobody from the first game holds a candle to the lovely DS2 characters.

I just finished the final battle of
Daichi's Route
yesterday and I was pretty pleased with the game. I hadn't played the original release of either Devil Survivor game, and after playing Overclocked a couple years ago I was eagerly awaiting this remake. It felt like it took forever to finally release.

I'm in the camp of preferring DevSurv1's story more, but liking 2's cast more. Daichi is actually the first time the comic relief best friend character has really resonated with me in an Atlus game (I liked Atsuro, but he wasn't really comic relief. I think Daichi is more comparable to Junpei and Yosuke from Persona 3 and Persona 4 respectively). Maybe it was his voice acting, but I found a lot of his lines an delivery to be genuinely funny. Everyone else in the game is super charming too.

I think my biggest complaint was the difficulty. I played on Apocalypse and I honestly found it a little too easy. Overclocked was fucking merciless with its difficulty and I found myself having to repeat battles fairly often because Imade poor strategic choices. The only battles that really gave me any trouble in 2 were
Megrez
Yamato
and the final fight against
Polaris
. I finished most other battles, including fights against Septentriones on my first try. Maybe I just got good at the mechanics after playing Overclocked but I didn't expect to wipe the floor.

I'm a little disappointed the Triangulum arc follows its one canon ending, but given its length I cna understand why. I started it last night and I can tell it'll be fun fan service romp.

That's an interesting comment on difficulty. I found DeSu2 and Record Breaker much more difficult than DeSu and Overclocked.

Though it does admittedly come down to two things:

1 DeSu2 and (to a lesser extent the Record Breaker content) is absurdly fond of giving the Sept and spawn stupid range and mobility which gives them plenty of opportunities to turn lock you while there's nothing you can do about it.
2 DeSu has a pretty smooth difficult curve with enemy power gradually increasing, you don't run into a real boss until Beldr (around halfway through Day 3). Whereas in DeSu2 Merak has Range 4 on Day 2.

ohlawd

I slacked off hard

only got four endings; two each from Sep and Tri. got a new 3DS game so I'm gonna have to hold off on all titles until July.

BlackJace

Are they serious with this fight? The Factors get four actions each??? Gravity Anomaly wrecks dudes, displacement.

Yeeeesh.

Xenoflare

Fused big bad Lucy. The difficulty just got broken in half!

Wait until you obtain a
Holy set add on. I managed to slap Victory Cry and Holy Dance and ramp all MA's to 40 to all of my demons via Mitama fusion

Is it cheap? Yes. But I love I'm wrecking everything in my path

Top Bottom