• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker |OT| at Last

Xenoflare

It's been a while since I played Overclocked, but I don't remember the sprites looking so good in 3D. Sprites like Ogre look really great up top.

It's the little things...

The font and overall resolution seem to be sharper as well. These are probably there to accommodate the XL

Septentrion route done, on the
Anguished One's path

Despite it being a while since I last played it, I didn't really have too much trouble with the endgame fights.
Polaris
was a little annoying, but Phys repel really neuters most of his attacks.

I think a replay has made me more positive towards DeSu 2 overall. I still think that 1 is better, but not by as much.

They do seem to have spent more effort on the 3DS port this time around, since it actually uses the 3D. There's even a late game cut-scene that's now 3D, although it's still fairly pointless since most of the gameplay is still on the bottom screen.

On to the Triangulum route.

Ryuukan

wow the free demon rescue DLC has some sick skill cracks

Pierce, -dyne spells, Null passives

Level 37-42 enemies tho

ohlawd

I'm this close to buying the skill DLC just for the easy NG+ points

>_>

should I do it?

I already got all the worthwhile skills tho. all I'm missing are the route exclusive ones and I'm definitely gonna go through all the routes again

Xenoflare

Having Daichi's voice playing under Joe's dialogue is one thing. Having Daichi's voice playing under Io's dialogue is just A+ halirious

Yeah this game makes some really small but dumb mistakes during the localization process

Having Daichi's voice playing under Joe's dialogue is one thing. Having Daichi's voice playing under Io's dialogue is just A+ halirious

Yeah this game makes some really small but dumb mistakes during the localization process

The one that bugged me the most was a really obvious typo on one of Airi's Fates.

and Io refers to
Polaris as male at one point, which stood out since they emphasis her gender a lot.

Hylian7

Yeah, don't touch the dlc, it completely breaks the game.

Yeah, I took one look at it and decided "I'm going to completely ignore this." I really hate how Atlus DLC is always so game breaking like this.

I'm only on day two right now, on the battle where
Keita died

Soulflarz

Banned
The one that bugged me the most was a really obvious typo on one of Airi's Fates.

and Io refers to
Polaris as male at one point, which stood out since they emphasis her gender a lot.

Well, maybe they didn't want to make it like a game. Instead, they wanted human errors, therefore, the errors had to stay, as if to make it closer to simulating a real conversation. This can also be seen in the mispronunciation of Nicaea!

...Yeah, I got nothing :V I can't even defend that lol

Yeah, I took one look at it and decided "I'm going to completely ignore this." I really hate how Atlus DLC is always so game breaking like this.

I'm only on day two right now, on the battle where
Keita died

YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG

Well, maybe they didn't want to make it like a game. Instead, they wanted human errors, therefore, the errors had to stay, as if to make it closer to simulating a real conversation. This can also be seen in the mispronunciation of Nicaea!

YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG

I mean the name of the event had the number 1 after it. That's not normal conversation :p

and it wasn't a two part event

Hylian7

YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG

You serious? It seemed like there was no chance to do anything, or the actual solution was completely random.

You serious? It seemed like there was no chance to do anything, or the actual solution was completely random.

It's honestly so easy to save everyone (except maybe
Io since you need to have a high fate with her and do an event for her to survive
) before the route lock that I didn't even think you could actually let anyone die my first playthrough. Basically as long as you do timed battles as soon as they're available, nobody will die with that one exception

Xenoflare

I had no idea that was even a thing, does that mean it's even possible for this stuff to happen:
Daichi and Joe dying

Saving everyone is indeed really easy. In Keita's case.
remember to go to the station at 1430

I saved Io at fate 3 plus the event. The game gives lots of points to her since her and Daichi joins in the main plot a lot

Also, just beat the yamato route for the septentrione story (I did triangulum first and got record breaker ending). It was the only route I never did in the original. I'll admit I laughed when
the leader shows up for that one group composed of people including a yakuza and punk, and it's this timid little boy
. That said it fits with the idea of the route, it just made me laugh

Hylian7

It's honestly so easy to save everyone (except maybe
Io since you need to have a high fate with her and do an event for her to survive
) before the route lock that I didn't even think you could actually let anyone die my first playthrough. Basically as long as you do timed battles as soon as they're available, nobody will die with that one exception

Saving everyone is indeed really easy. In Keita's case.
remember to go to the station at 1430

I guess I assumed it was like the first game where generally the stuff like the Death Clocks were inconsequential and hardly mattered, so you wanted to go do other stuff until the battle was the last thing left.

Xenoflare

I guess I assumed it was like the first game where generally the stuff like the Death Clocks were inconsequential and hardly mattered, so you wanted to go do other stuff until the battle was the last thing left.

This is still the case barring death clips.

Just remember to look for them as your top priority. The game lists the events very obviously

Honestly, if you finish all plot events right away, you'll have the rest of the time to do the random conversations, so I'm not sure that there's ever a benefit to dragging things out. That said, aside from death clips no other plot event will change.

As a consolation, Keita is easily the most annoying character (Though in combat he can be really good with a pierce, phy amp, ares aid and multi-strike skill set)

Xenoflare

Honestly, if you finish all plot events right away, you'll have the rest of the time to do the random conversations, so I'm not sure that there's ever a benefit to dragging things out. That said, aside from death clips no other plot event will change.

As a consolation, Keita is easily the most annoying character (Though in combat he can be really good with a pierce, phy amp, ares aid and multi-strike skill set)

I agree, Keita is just downright unlikeable.

He died so early in the anime haaaaaaa

ohlawd

Keita's aight when you do his Triangulum fate stuff

one of them had a super slick music transition. I was all "my boi Keita got dis"

Xenoflare

He has literally no redeeming qualities

You know, his character arc type is pretty common, but his inner qualities (or lack thereof) never showed off.

I rushed his fate solely
for the Triumphant ending.

At first I thought of using Keita since he has one of my favorite state spreads but decided not to just because I really don't like him

Soulflarz

Banned
"Humans have the rare gift of making the impossible quite possible"
"Believe in yourself"

Anguished One confirmed to be from TTGL

squadr0n

How important are the majority of the answers chosen during conversations with your party, atleast in the beginning of the game when your conversations dont seem to have much meaning story wise. Do I just try to be nice to everyone or are there drastic changes later depending on these answers?

Velcro Fly

Holy shit I think I just took on a major boss battle.

I think I would have fooled around more had I known this was coming though.

This game is fucking cool!

edit: Does the first game have the easier difficulty? I kinda want to play it now after I finish this one but not if it's really really hard. Just want to have fun with the story and characters and not struggle =/

Soulflarz

Banned

edit: Does the first game have the easier difficulty? I kinda want to play it now after I finish this one but not if it's really really hard. Just want to have fun with the story and characters and not struggle =/

Just dump all your points into mag or str, it becomes VERY easy. It does have an easy difficulty called blessed, but don't use it >.>

Onto the second arc!

ohlawd

this is off topic

so I watched Age of Ultron earlier and there was this scene about saving lives and shit and the first thing I thought of was Devil Survivor 2. specifically Miyako and her ideals

Devil Survivor Overclocked (the 3DS version) has an Easy difficulty. They made a lot of changes that generally make it easier than the original too (leaked XP, high level demons for each type, better distribution of demons) more skills (especially phsyical ones, so you can run 2 Physical characters). I highly recommend it. Though be aware that the 8th day stories can seem a bit tacked on (they often contradict the 7th day ending they come from).

EDIT: Apparently Overclocked DOES have an Easy difficulty, so I'm totally wrong I guess!

Xenoflare

Alright fine, Keita's fate route in the Triangulum arc is endearing.

Also does anyone know the name of Miyako's theme?

Xenoflare

Correction(?) on one of my VA id's

Ronaldo sounds a bit more like Grant George than Matt Mercer. Playing P3P kinda connected him and Shinjiro together.

Velcro Fly

Finally can fuse!

Time to start building a solid group.

So wait does demon level only matter for MC? Io is level 9 but I was able to assign her a level 10 demon. Can I really do that? o.o

So wait does demon level only matter for MC? Io is level 9 but I was able to assign her a level 10 demon.
Can I really do that? o.o

Level limit is only for fusion. So if you want to fuse a Demon which is level 50, your MC has to be 50.
Otherwise, there is no level limit. Every time I playthrough New Game Plus I always bring along my level 99 Lucifer to wipe through things for fun.

RA9CE2el.jpg

vall03

Are Add-Ons consumable? I was planning to fuse earlier but decided not to do it for now since it might be gone afterwards. So far I have Lv+1 and St+2.

Am I the only one who bought the Macca DLC thing and took long breaks in between story stuff to enjoy getting new demons and just seeing all the cool stuff you can fuse?

Xenoflare

Also I finally rushed through the game. Clearing it at around 50 hours combined for both arcs.

I still want more. Time to take it slow and replay it.

Hopefully DeSu 3 could be a reality in the near future.

Overall I am very satisfied.

Xenoflare

Not really. Some of their games have even had lines left untranslated.

Marge is P4G also had alternating voices.

I remember Fuuka had untranslated lines in P3.

According to the megaten wikia there is one instance where the Japanese voice of Catherine is used in her
boss level, but whether or not it's a localization error is up to the player

Moonlight

Banned
I am going fucking insane trying to work out all these fusion daisy-chains to . It's a roller-coaster of fusing up and down to get as many skills up to my next big fusion and christ, it makes my head overheat sometimes. Satisfying when it all comes together, of course.

I'd played DeSu2 before, but never much. I stopped at the second day on my go-through on the DS specifically because of this announcement, uh... a couple years ago, lol. But now it's finally here, and it's pretty good. I don't think I'm far enough to make a judgment on story, but I'm definitely not feeling some of the... atmosphere of DeSu1. It did a really good job of emphasizing tension and desperation, of being way in over your head. DeSu2 is way more empowering, in that sense. You're with JP's, so you're not exactly worried about finding a place to sleep and no one really deals with, uh... surviving. The reality of the circumstances might be a better way to put it. There's just less dramatic momentum to everything, which is a shame.

This is much less of a big deal, but I think death clocks/Laplace Mail was a way cooler take on the same general premise. Death clocks might not have meant much in the grand scheme of things, but they really helped instill that sense of inevitability and dread to the first game. Nicaea just doesn't really manage that, and doesn't seem to do a lot with its' own premise either (of not knowing the exact time or place of the event).

That said, I am overall much more satisfied with the characters in this game as opposed to the DeSu1, where I really only had a few characters I really liked. Daichi and Io are much better characters than their counterparts in the first game, especially. Airi is already my favourite DeSu character, and Makoto and Jungo aren't far off from that distinction either.

I'm really impressed by the dub overall. Airi, Fem!Tico (like seriously, wow) and Fumi are huge stand-outs in particular, but the quality of acting is overall really good. It's pretty surprising to me, actually, since I wasn't wholly impressed with Overclocked's dub, but there's really not a single performance I've heard so far I'd call worse than okay.

Top Bottom