• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker |OT| at Last

vall03

Am I the only one who bought the Macca DLC thing and took long breaks in between story stuff to enjoy getting new demons and just seeing all the cool stuff you can fuse?

Bought the Macca DLC for getting more money, not exp. I really wouldn't mind having high levels, getting new demons and fusing stuff, but not getting the macca that I need from that DLC breaks the point of it. I feel like it's just an Exp DLC at this point. I'm currently level 25 and I'm just at Day 2. I'd really prefer more money than getting a lot of experience, if only the enemies didn't scale on the DLC. *sigh*

Bought the Macca DLC for getting more money, not exp. I really wouldn't mind having high levels, getting new demons and fusing stuff, but not getting the macca that I need from that DLC breaks the point of it. I feel like it's just an Exp DLC at this point. I'm currently level 25 and I'm just at Day 2. I'd really prefer more money than getting a lot of experience, if only the enemies didn't scale on the DLC. *sigh*

I noticed that, yeah - it's really deceptive, you get waaay more experience than Macca. It would have been better DLC were it that you got little EXP and tons of Macca, because then you wouldn't have to worry about becoming too overpowered but with all the money you need.

I am going fucking insane trying to work out all these fusion daisy-chains to . It's a roller-coaster of fusing up and down to get as many skills up to my next big fusion and christ, it makes my head overheat sometimes. Satisfying when it all comes together, of course.

Don't forgot about add-ons and mitama (NG+ only) and elemental fusion. They make things a lot easier. The add-ons from the last days are really useful.

Macca is based around you getting the bonuses for Overwhelm and No Damage but its pretty much impossible to do that with early game skill cracks but it becomes trivial later in the game. You also really don't need much macca early game either everything is cheap (unless you're trying to get everything in the compendium but there's not much need for that, just leave it to the end game when you're rolling in money).

Sometimes I forget the world is ending and just spend the night plotting demon recipes

image.php

I still can't get over how good the soundtrack is.

I ramped up the difficulty to Apocalypse yesterday, almost wiped on my first story battle. I kind of missed that.

TWILT

Banned
Day 4 now and made it to the Secret Garden scene...I see they made it more "interesting" than the original. :p

Velcro Fly

I love when I get the thing where demons are going for really cheap. Snap up anything I can as fusion fodder. Team is looking decent I suppose. Still pretty early on Day 2. Taking it kinda slow for now.

It's a tough balancing game to give good demons to everyone instead of making 1 or 2 people complete juggernauts. I like Daichi and Io more than Joe =/

I'm jealous of the people who get to play this for the first time. I didn't think this would over get remade on the 3DS, or get localized even if it did, so I played the DS version a few years ago when I was unemployed. This game and its predecessor are such awesome time sinks. The stories actually work pretty well, too (but I thought they ran out of steam about 3/4s of the way through).

Velcro Fly

Definitely getting in the groove of this game now. Played for about 3 hours tonight which is a lot for me on an night I have to work the next day.

Whoa damn this fusion requires Macca? This dude is worth the 1k macca at this point though...

Soulflarz

Banned
Just killed it, wasn't too bad. I had to just squad up and move one by one, splitting groups up is really dangerous in this game.

Really? I went 2 on the left half, 2 on the right (with the two on the right demolishing everything on their way over) and had little trouble until my right side nearly got wiped out. Thank God my MC is a powerhouse.

Xenoflare

Definitely getting in the groove of this game now. Played for about 3 hours tonight which is a lot for me on an night I have to work the next day.

Whoa damn this fusion requires Macca? This dude is worth the 1k macca at this point though...

It's an Element race isn't it? They are meant for fusion materials.

BlackJace

Really? I went 2 on the left half, 2 on the right (with the two on the right demolishing everything on their way over) and had little trouble until my right side nearly got wiped out. Thank God my MC is a powerhouse.

Mine sort of is too. Fumi came in clutch, she's a goddamn nuker.

Endgame (?) spoilers
I'm at the big 4-way spilt. This is first time in a SMT game where I'm conflicted on which route to follow. Everyone seems to have good arguments.
Equality, while good-natured, stunts growth. Meritocracy, while fruitful, is ultimately selfish and cruel. Neutrality (in this particular case), while returning things to the status-quo and maintaining peace, seems unfulfilling in the grand scheme of things, considering Polaris is still treating us like shit. Finality, while completely void of outside bias, is an abstract concept that isn't proven. Starting over from scratch doesn't mean we wont fall into the same trappings again.

Xenoflare

Endgame (?) spoilers
I'm at the big 4-way spilt. This is first time in a SMT game where I'm conflicted on which route to follow. Everyone seems to have good arguments.
Equality, while good-natured, stunts growth. Meritocracy, while fruitful, is ultimately selfish and cruel. Neutrality (in this particular case), while returning things to the status-quo and maintaining peace, seems unfulfilling in the grand scheme of things, considering Polaris is still treating us like shit. Finality, while completely void of outside bias, is an abstract concept that isn't proven. Starting over from scratch doesn't mean we wont fall into the same trappings again.

Fumi is the ultimate boss killer in both arcs that I played. My MC stats mimics her's but I invest more AG

Can't wait for this game to release in Europe. DS:OC is one of the all time greatest handheld games I've played honestly. It was so unbelievably fucking good, it took me completely by surprise.

ohlawd

Can't wait for this game to release in Europe. DS:OC is one of the all time greatest handheld games I've played honestly. It was so unbelievably fucking good, it took me completely by surprise.

hyperbolic much?

I actually agree. that 3DS summer drought, I bought this game knowing nothing about it except it was an Atlus game and a port of a DS game

fuckin' validated my launch 3DS. It's still my favorite SMT game and I've played like 20 billion of them since then

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
hyperbolic much?

I actually agree. that 3DS summer drought, I bought this game knowing nothing about it except it was an Atlus game and a port of a DS game

fuckin' validated my launch 3DS. It's still my favorite SMT game and I've played like 20 billion of them since then

I think they hit something magical with this series as well. It's also my favourite SMTish thing

Soulflarz

Banned

Endgame (?) spoilers

Everyone has good arguments?

Noope. Screw
Ronaldo
. That plan will end the world quickly.

hyperbolic much?

Welcome to the club. SMT is where it's at.

Fireblend

Banned
So I'm considering getting this after I'm done with Xenoblade 3D. My experience with SMT is Persona 3, 4 and SMT IV, all of which I loved plus I love SRPGs so this seems like a no-brainer. Am I supposed to have played Devil Survivor 1 before this? Which SRPGs would you compare it to to give me an idea of what the gameplay's like?

Also, there's no actual traversable worldmap, is there? It's kinda like Fire Emblem with a map and some points you can choose to travel to from what I see?

So I'm considering getting this after I'm done with Xenoblade 3D. My experience with SMT is Persona 3, 4 and SMT IV, all of which I loved plus I love SRPGs so this seems like a no-brainer. Am I supposed to have played Devil Survivor 1 before this? Which SRPGs would you compare it to to give me an idea of what the gameplay's like?

Also, there's no actual traversable worldmap, is there? It's kinda like Fire Emblem with a map and some points you can choose to travel to from what I see?

I would probably recommend Overclocked for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is that it's a step down in image and audio quality. I'm not far enough into RB, but OC was tougher than SMT4 for sure, which was tougher than the Persona games. It's a weird mix between strategy and SMT gameplay that's not quite either; the strategy involved has a foot in both and doesn't feel like it belongs in either genre at times. Positioning of units doesn't have as much impact as it does in Fire Emblem, for example, yet it's enough so that you need to adequately plan out your units' positons to take advantage of the Press Turn variant.

You don't really traverse the world in these games, you just choose which story or side event to go to next, like a visual novel.

They are damn good games, and a good gateway into the larger SMT universe. I highly recommend them. Also, Overclocked and Record Breaker ARE connected, and I know how, the game just hasn't made it explicit yet. Go play the first one before getting to this one is my recommendation, though you probably wouldn't be completely lost in this one.

I would probably recommend Overclocked for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is that it's a step down in image and audio quality. I'm not far enough into RB, but OC was tougher than SMT4 for sure, which was tougher than the Persona games. It's a weird mix between strategy and SMT gameplay that's not quite either; the strategy involved has a foot in both and doesn't feel like it belongs in either genre at times. Positioning of units doesn't have as much impact as it does in Fire Emblem, for example, yet it's enough so that you need to adequately plan out your units' positons to take advantage of the Press Turn variant.

You don't really traverse the world in these games, you just choose which story or side event to go to next, like a visual novel.

They are damn good games, and a good gateway into the larger SMT universe. I highly recommend them. Also, Overclocked and Record Breaker ARE connected, and I know how, the game just hasn't made it explicit yet. Go play the first one before getting to this one is my recommendation, though you probably wouldn't be completely lost in this one.

DS2 is harder than Overclocked as well (assuming the same mode). I'd forgotten how ridiculous DS2 Day 3 is on a new game (Botis , Ronaldo and Phecdra and only Botis is optional). Things do get a bit easier as you get towards the end of the game and have a good set of skills and the stats to use them.

Overclocked has a much smoother difficulty curve if you take the expected way through the game (apart from that Final Battle on the default Ending which is craazy, the first 8th day you do will likely be fairly difficult too). So that's another reason to play Overclocked first.

DS2 is harder than Overclocked as well (assuming the same mode). I'd forgotten how ridiculous DS2 Day 3 is on a new game (Botis , Ronaldo and Phecdra and only Botis is optional). Things do get a bit easier as you get towards the end of the game and have a good set of skills and the stats to use them.

Overclocked has a much smoother difficulty curve if you take the expected way through the game (apart from that Final Battle on the default Ending which is craazy, the first 8th day you do will likely be fairly difficult too). So that's another reason to play Overclocked first.

Yeah, this is just my first time through DeSu2, and I'm only halfway through day 2. DeSu1 was challenging and had a good curve, but that last fight in Day 7 was bananas. It was a really hard wall for me.

Just finished the Tri arc and got the
Record Breaker
ending.
That was really good. They really stepped up the quality of the writing and the fights themselves were brutal even with NG+ bonuses. Some of those boss gimmicks were the best in the game and that final boss was a step up from
Polaris
The
Record Breaker
is a great ending for the game. Really feel good stuff.

Soulflarz

Banned
Just finished the Tri arc and got the
Record Breaker
ending.
That was really good. They really stepped up the quality of the writing and the fights themselves were brutal even with NG+ bonuses. Some of those boss gimmicks were the best in the game and that final boss was a step up from
Polaris
The
Record Breaker
is a great ending for the game. Really feel good stuff.

How many days is it :V

BlackJace

LOL how the fuck do they expect me to beat Polaris? It's a fucking nightmare. I get through the first 2 phases, but everyone is running on empty once she goes into the final phase. It would be a lot easier without the stupid adds. Just have us go toe to toe with her, I hate how the fodder is tacked on for a cheap raise in difficulty.

LOL how the fuck do they expect me to beat Polaris? It's a fucking nightmare. I get through the first 2 phases, but everyone is running on empty once she goes into the final phase. It would be a lot easier without the stupid adds. Just have us go toe to toe with her, I hate how the fodder is tacked on for a cheap raise in difficulty.

The two routes where you kill Polaris are significantly harder than the others, so they aren't great picks for a first play through.

BlackJace

The two routes where you kill Polaris are significantly harder than the others, so they aren't great picks for a first play through.

I figured as much. Its not my "first" playthrough, as I've played the first game, so I'm mostly used to how things go.

I'm mid-60s, with most of the broken skills cracked.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I figured as much. Its not my "first" playthrough, as I've played the first game, so I'm mostly used to how things go.

I'm mid-60s, with most of the broken skills cracked.

It's not too bad with the right demons. Use the second phase to recharge, it's really a nice breather. Use recarm/media and mp recovery race skills to get everyone back up to decent shape that second phase. In the third phase just rush the main body.

BlackJace

It's not too bad with the right demons. Use the second phase to recharge, it's really a nice breather. Use recarm/media and mp recovery race skills to get everyone back up to decent shape that second phase. In the third phase just rush the main body.

Does the main ones death end the battle?

SephLuis

What I did on this:

I "sniped" Polaris. One of my demons had an ability that increased range on +4 and I had another with Chaos Wave, which would give me a total range of 7. My MC and his demons were strong enough to deal with Polaris and, in the meantime, I would advance with Fumi which had even better demons but couldn't do this longe range attack.

The others were support. Take hits and heal.

I would advise on taking better demons to the fight and see which elements Polaris isn't strong to.

Also, except for the fist phase, focus on the main body. On the first, each minor Polaris you take out makes it easier later.

Lol
TicoTico Challenge killed me, got some good exp off it when I retreated though!

Tips for that fight:
Send a phys person after Female Tico and a magic almighty team against Male Tico.
Finish the first phase as soon as possible. The constantly respawning mobs are there to drain you and they stop spawning after phase one ends.
Use the second phase to recover from the first phase and prepare for the final phase.
Finish the final phase as soon as possible or else you will die the first or second time The Ticos get there turn.

Soulflarz

Banned
Tips for that fight:
Send a phys person after Female Tico and a magic almighty team against Male Tico.
Finish the first phase as soon as possible. The constantly respawning mobs are there to drain you and they stop spawning after phase one ends.
Use the second phase to recover from the first phase and prepare for the final phase.
Finish the final phase as soon as possible or else you will die the first or second time The Ticos get there turn.

Both had reflect, I just moved on. Im too sleepy to care :3

BlackJace

Yaaas, beat the Septentrione arc. Hard as nails, but it's over.

Anguished One's Ending Spoilers

Meh ending. Felt anticlimactic. Saiduq just plopped them in a new world and peaced.

It also left some things unclear, like how humanity proceed from there, if they can still summon demons, etc.

lol I think the game was more stingy with Survivor Points than the first game,I only got a measly 140 :p

Top Bottom