• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor: Overclocked |OT| - And on the Eighth Day...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I heard mention Yuzu's ending sucks (This is an opionion I heard from the original) Is it that bad? No spoilers if possible. I saw this opinion in a faq.

LayLa

from ghostlights blog. boooooooooooo.

Finally I regret to regret to report that it is looking increasingly likely that both Devil Survivor: Overclocked and Devil Survivor 2 will not be released until 2013. This is incredibly disappointing as we were very much hoping to be able to release both titles this year, but sadly this has not been possible. It is worth noting that until we announce a release date, any dates you see for these games are unofficial and may be incorrect.

I heard mention Yuzu's ending sucks (This is an opionion I heard from the original) Is it that bad? No spoilers if possible. I saw this opinion in a faq.

I just beat the game with Yuzu's route. It wasn't that bad although it doesn't feel like the best ending.

The game doesn't really explain to you how to choose a route, so I think I would need to use a FAQ/walkthrough to know how to get a better ending.

Great game though.

Trojita

I'm on the 7th day woot. I'm going with Naoya's path.

I just beat the game with Yuzu's route. It wasn't that bad although it doesn't feel like the best ending.

The game doesn't really explain to you how to choose a route, so I think I would need to use a FAQ/walkthrough to know how to get a better ending.

Great game though.

The best guide for the 3DS version is this one:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/997806-shin-megami-tensei-devil-survivor-overclocked/wiki/3-1-condensed-guide-to-saving-all-characters-and-unlocking-all-routes

Apparently most of the conversations and conversation choices are meaningless. I don't even know if the email messages do anything.

I had all the routes available to me at the end of day 6.

froliq

Euro news.

Hi everyone. I’m pleased to report we now have some light at the end of the tunnel for SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked and I’m pleased to be able to report that the game has now entered manufacturing. I realise that this long wait has been frustrating for everyone and on behalf of everyone here at Ghostlight, I would like to thank you all for your patience.

Of course the question you all want to know the answer to is, “when is it coming out?” Well, I can tell you that while the date it is not yet 100% confirmed, we are expecting to release the game across Europe towards the end of March in time for Easter. Please keep your eyes peeled, as we will be announcing the confirmed release date in the next couple of weeks and we’ll also be opening up pre-orders through our site.
http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/devil-survivor-overclocked-enters-manufacturing

PK Gaming

Her original ending was garbage

Her new ending is arguably the best ending in the game, with the most satisfying conclusion imo. (if you prefer endings that
somewhat brings things back to normal, without de-powering your characters, then you'll like yuzu's revamped ending.
)

Trojita

Do you get a second Hard Battle during the 7th day? The first one with the Reflect Physical are annoying and the enemies seem too spaced out to make for effective grinding.

So after playing part of the DS game just after it came out and having Overclocked since it came out I finally finished it tonight, played through on the Gin/Haru path. Kind of contemplating going back and checking out one of the other endings. Gotta say really enjoyed it as a whole. A great introduction to the Shin Megami series. Kinda tempted to go check out the other endings but other games to move onto. Can't wait for the remake of 2 to come out of Japan.

Levyne

Banned
Been playing this recently. I'm on the seventh day on Kaido's route. I kinda wanted Gin's but Kaido is cool too. That Travis Willingham..

Been playing on normal and the difficulty is refreshing. Feels good to actually have to swap around passive skills and such depending on the foes on the map.

Won't be doing NG+ simply because of backlog, you know

Oh Ive also been playing recently, the anime to DeSu2 inspired me to want to play this one while waiting for the 3DS DeSu2.

Currently at the start of Day3. I hope a new member joins the party soon, Kaido or K-T would be nice (well K-T for AT-Low).

Oh Ive also been playing recently, the anime to DeSu2 inspired me to want to play this one while waiting for the 3DS DeSu2.

Currently at the start of Day3. I hope a new member joins the party soon, Kaido or K-T would be nice (well K-T for AT-Low).

DeSu 1 is nothing like 2 in that regard, you are mostly alone with the group of 3, with 1 or maybe 2 extras through most of the game. DeSu 2 was the opposite, you get everyone pretty early on, and then your numbers start dwindling one by one.

Finalow

so gaf, how's this game? Never played the ones on DS.
at least decent? I'd be happy with that since I'm just waiting for soul hackers and smt4.

so gaf, how's this game? Never played the ones on DS.
at least decent? I'd be happy with that since I'm just waiting for soul hackers and smt4.
Its more then Decent, I'd say mid to top tier of games on the system, great story that doesn't muck around and lots of re-playability.

Levyne

Banned
So I beat the Kaido/Naoya "Good Ending". Was a really nice game, and I'm glad I played it. The seventh day (original ending point?) was a lot harder than the 8th, but I created an op team specifically for the final boss. Looking forward to the 3DS second title.

Tizoc

OK just started a new game and would like some tips and advice on how I should handle the demons I recruit, what missable parts or items of the game I should take note of etc.

Alec

So SMT4 is amazing and it made me want to pick this up...but I don't want a physical copy. Is there anyone around here on the 'inside' that might have any clue about an eShop release? I already have Soul Hackers and SMT4 digitally so that is why I want to avoid the retail release.

GeekyDad

Real lttp on this one (kinda). Just got my copy today and started. I played the DS version but never finished it. After doing five playthroughs (yes, five) of SMTIV, I needed more SMT but something different, and I was ready to really dedicate myself to this finally. The Overclocked version is so much better right out of the gate. The voice acting is really good so far, and both the sound and visual fidelity are noticeably better. Also, nice to have a big, fat manual come with the game. Probably the last one we'll see included with an Atlus game.

alice

Real lttp on this one (kinda). Just got my copy today and started. I played the DS version but never finished it. After doing five playthroughs (yes, five) of SMTIV, I needed more SMT but something different, and I was ready to really dedicate myself to this finally. The Overclocked version is so much better right out of the gate. The voice acting is really good so far, and both the sound and visual fidelity are noticeably better. Also, nice to have a big, fat manual come with the game. Probably the last one we'll see included with an Atlus game.

I also picked up this game after finishing SMT IV. I never played the original, so I can't compare, but so far I love this game. I haven't played much (read: any) SRPGs so I chose to go with easy for the first playthrough... it still seems plenty difficult!

GeekyDad

Yeah, I wouldn't say the different versions are night-and-day, but the 3DS version just feels like a much more complete game. The voice work, especially, adds so much to the presentation. A lot of the game can progress a bit like a visual novel, so it's nice to have actual acting going on. My personal favorite so far is Yuzu, not as a character per se, but the actress. She really nails the kinda pitiful yet annoying characteristics of Yuzu -- makes me appreciate the character more than the first couple of times I played the game.

And I imagine the Easy difficulty to be about the same, sans any need for grinding. I'm doing Normal simply because I've got a really strong grasp (and love) of both SRPGs and the SMT-centric battle system. It's fun to be forced to grind one or two skirmishes to up Ag or Vt a point just to be able to crack a skill you want. Gives you something to work toward.

Anyway, enjoy. Got it yesterday, and (sadly) I've already clocked in 10 hours. Like SMTIV, I'll probably exhaust all of the different paths.

I just got this email from Atlus:
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked is Now Available in the Nintendo eShop!

Remember when you registered Shin Megami Tensei IV and Fire Emblem Awakening and got $30 Nintendo eShop Credit? You do? Great! If you are looking for another action-packed, demon-filled adventure, why not use that credit to purchase SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked in the Nintendo eShop?
I might pick it up. I'm confused though, is this a sequel in the series or a remastering of the first?

GeekyDad

I just got this email from Atlus:

I might pick it up. I'm confused though, is this a sequel in the series or a remastering of the first?

It's a remake of Devil Survivor for Nintendo DS.

Yeah, it's a remastering, not a remake. It has extra content, enhanced graphics, voice overs -- lots of stuff that make it worth getting, even if you've already completed it on DS. But it's not a remake.

Just thought of a question for those who have a 3DS, does the bottom screen feel cramped with such small sprites? I know it would be fine if it had sprites on the top screen. It was fine on an XL. Good game in fact. Wish I had the drive to get replay value out of it though. Excellent battle system and game design.

GeekyDad

Just thought of a question for those who have a 3DS, does the bottom screen feel cramped with such small sprites? I know it would be fine if it had sprites on the top screen. It was fine on an XL. Good game in fact. Wish I had the drive to get replay value out of it though. Excellent battle system and game design.

Not to me. I was finishing up my fourth playthrough before EO Untold released, and I thoroughly enjoyed the game. There's no real 3D to speak of outside of fusion, but it's not missed. The 3DS' bottom screen is still bigger than the regular DS screens, I believe, but it was fine on DS and it's fine on 3DS. Fantastic game.

magnetic

Sorry for the bump, and sorry if this has been already answered, but I´m just about to order this from Amazon and need some quick answers that I somehow couldn´t find via Google, so here it goes:

-The euro version has been completely patched now, right? No more game-breaking bugs?

-Is there a way to turn off the music in this port? The DS version didn´t have it and the tunes got grating from time to time. (Not a dealbreaker, though.)

-I vaguely remember seeing an option to speed up the battles and movement - this might actually be the single biggest feature for me, as the original moved just a little bit too slowly for me. Am I remembering this right?

(No upper screen battles and no 3D is a bit of a bummer, but by no means necessary for me - I already own the original but the high difficulty, the slow gameplay and the streched pixels on the 3DS are enough reasons for me to double dip.)

I recently began playing this game, and Now I am 24 hours in on the 6th day, so my question is, How does this gmaes handle the multiple endings in terms of saves and NG+ ?

Top Bottom