• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor: Overclocked |OT| - And on the Eighth Day...

Sagitario

DidntKnowJack said:
It appears there was only one print of this game, and it was a somewhat small print run. Online stores are indeed sold out and are not being resupplied at this time. So it's not surprising you're having no luck online. Ordering from private sellers is an option, though you'll be paying much higher prices.

But there's still hope. Some brick and mortar stores have a small number of games in stock. Check around local Targets, Sears, Kmarts, and Gamestops. If you persist, chances are you'll find a copy somewhere. (Kmart and Sears are good places to start, because - who goes to Kmart or Sears to buy their video games?)

There's also a chance Atlus will do another print of the game, though who knows how long it will be until that happens...?

The thing is, I am not in USA, but thanks for the suggestions :)
I would be cool if NichM could give us a heads-up about a reprint.

KarmaCow

So I bought this a couple weeks ago to have something to play on the commute to and from campus, and I've hit a road block. I'm at the end (?) of the 7th day
fighting Babel on Atsuro's path and I just don't have the damage or survivability to get past the second form. Unlike the fight with Belberith, I can't just sit back and slowly kill everything so I tried just going all out and killing him when he first appears but that leaves my really vulnerable for the next form.

The thing is that the game was pretty easy up to this point and I've even did some grinding to get to level 61 for this fight, but I don't see how I can beat it. The only other SMT game I have played is Strange Journey and that was a cakewalk. Are there any demons I should be looking out for? Shiva looks like the best demon I can fuse at the moment, but I'm still kinda overwhelmed by the fusing system. My general strategy has been to always buy up the 5 star demons and then just refuse my entire team at the start of a new day. Is there something special about elementals? They must do something special if it requires macca to create them, but as far as I can tell, they just let me create lower level demons. I guess that's for the more in depth fusing paths for passing down skills but I don't want to bother with anything that in depth.

Tenck

Jsust bought the game and it reminds me of Fire Emblem (with tile movements and tactical rpg) I have fallen in love with it. I just met Wendigo, so I'm not too far ahead.

I just read of Devil Survivor 2. Is it a direct sequel to this game? Or is it a sequel with totally new characters?

Boney

Banned
Tenck said:
Jsust bought the game and it reminds me of Fire Emblem (with tile movements and tactical rpg) I have fallen in love with it. I just met Wendigo, so I'm not too far ahead.

I just read of Devil Survivor 2. Is it a direct sequel to this game? Or is it a sequel with totally new characters?
shut up and come stab me

MooMoo

There are some really nasty end-game combos. Currently on day 6 and whenever I see shield all, that spell that mutes you, and a team full of aggravated enemies, it just drives me fucking nuts cause that 3-spell combo pretty much wipes out a single team/nullifies my turn. That's just straight up unfair =/ That being said, if I weren't doing a "no one can die" run on my first playthrough, I wouldn't be running into so much trouble. That and I sort of went fusion happy and ended up with some really bad synergistic teams and I'm in the process of trying to fix that haha.

Kazerei

Banned
That's what I love about this game: enemies are built to use smart strategies. You just gotta out-do them with even cheaper tactics >:)

Shield All + is a ridiculously awesome skill, btw. I think it becomes available on the 8th day.

MooMoo

Kazerei said:
That's what I love about this game: enemies are built to use smart strategies. You just gotta out-do them with even cheaper tactics >:)

Shield All + is a ridiculously awesome skill, btw. I think it becomes available on the 8th day.
I guess so...but I can definitely see why people would complain about the difficulty. If you don't bother skill cracking or spend time fusing the right demons it's pretty easy to get fucked over. Either way, those starfish demons can burn in hell. I also find it funny every time those elephant guys try to use force attacks on my demons who are null to it :3 Silly elephants.

My only other minor complaint is the low BGM during cutscenes. Outside of that though, I'm really glad that I managed to buy this game.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I bought this game this past weekend. Before I went up to visit my parents, I checked gamestops inventory listings and a copy of Devil Survivor: Overclocked was in stock at a gamestop in my parents town. It was the store a little bit further away than another one. I ordered a copy at Deep Discount when it was sold out everywhere for 37.99, but it still never got delivered.

I'm kind of pissed that I paid $39.99 for the game, but I won't hold it against you guys, so I won't keep this to myself.

THE GAME IS IN STOCK AT AMAZON FOR $29.99. Shipped and sold by Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Overclocked-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B002I09286/

I've been playing through a second time and man, when you're skipping through all of the dialogue with the "hold l+r" thing, it really hits you how much of it there is. The story is entertaining, but it could have been waaaaay less talky.

I really wish I could just skip to the end of the 6th day too, I want to get the other endings and finish the compendium but sitting through the dialogue and blowing through the missions gets old really quick.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Trojita said:
I bought this game this past weekend. Before I went up to visit my parents, I checked gamestops inventory listings and a copy of Devil Survivor: Overclocked was in stock at a gamestop in my parents town. It was the store a little bit further away than another one. I ordered a copy at Deep Discount when it was sold out everywhere for 37.99, but it still never got delivered.

I'm kind of pissed that I paid $39.99 for the game, but I won't hold it against you guys, so I won't keep this to myself.

THE GAME IS IN STOCK AT AMAZON FOR $29.99. Shipped and sold by Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Overclocked-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B002I09286/
Dayum!
Reprint!

Mungular

never got a chance to play the original, but this game is fun. i dont understand everything yet because i havent played it too much yet, but its got a cool battle system

Thoraxes

Man, i'm on the end of
Nayoa's
route, and fucking shit fuck.
I got to Babel, re-killed all of the Bels, fought Babel again in I think is its final form, and died because it sealed my skills and battle-aura doesn't do shit against that and I got raped. Raaaaaaagggggggeeeeeeeee. Time to do some grindan and levelan up.

MooMoo

Thoraxes said:
Man, i'm on the end of
Nayoa's
route, and fucking shit fuck.
I got to Babel, re-killed all of the Bels, fought Babel again in I think is its final form, and died because it sealed my skills and battle-aura doesn't do shit against that and I got raped. Raaaaaaagggggggeeeeeeeee. Time to do some grindan and levelan up.
I was gonna ask how hard that route was compared to the other ones. By the time I finished the 6th day (slight route spoilers I guess)
I had the option to choose Nayoa's, Yuzu's, and Amane's route. Decided to not do Yuzu cause she wanted to run away -.-" and usually I choose the good guy route but decided I'd try something different for a change. It was pretty cool to have Mari and Black Frost join my team though.
So am I in for a world of pain?

MooMoo said:
I was gonna ask how hard that route was compared to the other ones. By the time I finished the 6th day (slight route spoilers I guess)
I had the option to choose Nayoa's, Yuzu's, and Amane's route. Decided to not do Yuzu cause she wanted to run away -.-" and usually I choose the good guy route but decided I'd try something different for a change. It was pretty cool to have Mari and Black Frost join my team though.

Nayoa's and Amane's
routes have the same final battle, so you would have been in a world of pain regardless.
Yuzu's route
is the easiest.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That walkthrough on gamefaqs spoils stuff right away.

The walkthrough just details I think the 8th day talking about what happened right before that.

I got a glimpse of
Amano
's route and it mentions that you
become the King of Bal

How much have spoiled the game for myself having read that?

Kazerei

Banned
Trojita said:
That walkthrough on gamefaqs spoils stuff right away.

The walkthrough just details I think the 8th day talking about what happened right before that.

I got a glimpse of
Amano
's route and it mentions that you
become the King of Bal

How much have spoiled the game for myself having read that?

It doesn't happen by surprise, the game builds up to it. So it's not that bad of a spoiler.

The walkthroughs for the original game work fine, since days 1-7 were unchanged. Darkenedsakura's is the better one IMO. The sticky on the Overclocked board is also great.

Busaiku

Lucky for me, I quickly forget a bunch of spoilers so long as I'm not constantly exposed to this game.
I probably read the various endings for this game already, but can't remember anything.

MooMoo

RPG_Fanatic said:
Nayoa's and Amane's
routes have the same final battle, so you would have been in a world of pain regardless.
Yuzu's route
is the easiest.
I knew that route was the easiest just by going through this thread, but I really didn't want to choose that route; it seemed like such a cop out haha. I don't mind the extra challenge though! :3 One quick question with regards to New Game+ (and sorry if this has already been mentioned), but do I have to skill crack everything all over again? I vaguely know that you get assigned some amount of points when you finish the game (which is based on your performance) and that you spend these points on things to carry over. Or actually, if someone could explain the whole NG+ system I'd appreciate it.

Javier

MooMoo said:
I knew that route was the easiest just by going through this thread, but I really didn't want to choose that route; it seemed like such a cop out haha. I don't mind the extra challenge though! :3 One quick question with regards to New Game+ (and sorry if this has already been mentioned), but do I have to skill crack everything all over again? I vaguely know that you get assigned some amount of points when you finish the game (which is based on your performance) and that you spend these points on things to carry over. Or actually, if someone could explain the whole NG+ system I'd appreciate it.
When you beat the game you get reward points, and those points are used to unlock new features on NG+. Here's what gives you points and the rewards:

Titles:

Finish the game once (70 P)
Prevent Haru's death (20 P)
Prevent Keisuke's death (20 P)
Prevent Mari's death (20 P)
Save Gin in battle (20 P)
Learn of the government's final option (20 P)
Protect Tokyo on Yuzu's 8th day (20 P)
Register all demons except those that are special (100 P)
Achieve 100% completion of the Compendium (400 P)
Learn all skills that can be cracked (150 P)
Finish the Gin route (60 P)
Finish the Atsuro route (60 P)
Finish the Yuzu route (60 P)
Finish the Yuzu route's 8th day ( 20 P)
Finish the Naoya route (60 P)
Finish the Naoya route's 8th day (20 P)
Finish the Naoya route's 8th day (20 P)
Finish the Amane route (60 P)
Finish the Amane route's 8th day (20 P)
Finish the game with no free battles (200 P)
Finish the game without any deaths (200 P)
Defeat a whimsical ghost (30 P)
Defeat an old man who controls time (60 P)
Defeat a soldier of the netherworld (90 P)
Defeat a Marquis of Hell (120 P)
Defeat the fallen star (200 P)

Rewards:

Carry over 1 demon (10 P))
Carry over 4 demons (60 P)
Carry over 8 demons (180 P)
Carry over all demons (300 P)
Carry over skills (10 P)
Carry over Macca (110 P)
Carry over auction (40 P)
Remove EXP limit (60 P)
10% off Compendium (40 P)
30% off Compendium (120 P)
50% off Compendium (200 P)
Remove fusion LV limit (70 P)
Fallen Star (100 P)

One reward has "Carry over skills" which is really cheap and as such, it's impossible not to have the option to unlock it after beating the game once. That reward lets you retain all your cracked skills, so it's highly recommended to unlock it first. And don't worry, all earned points and unlocked rewards carry over on every NG+ on the same file.

I also recommend doing
Yuzu's
route first, mainly because
Yuzu's extended ending has a good version and a bad version, so if you're a completist you need to take it twice. I recommend getting Yuzu's bad ending first, then do a couple of other routes and tack on the Good ending. Yuzu's route is kind of an "if all else fails" route, as it's the only one available no matter what.

Thoraxes

It depends on what kind of gamer you are.

If you like a decent challenge and to have to pay attention, do Normal.
If you want to just breeze through the game with less effort to put in, more story for your playing, do Easy.

MooMoo

Javier said:
When you beat the game you get reward points, and those points are used to unlock new features on NG+. Here's what gives you points and the rewards:

[Titles & Rewards]

One reward has "Carry over skills" which is really cheap and as such, it's impossible not to have the option to unlock it after beating the game once. That reward lets you retain all your cracked skills, so it's highly recommended to unlock it first. And don't worry, all earned points and unlocked rewards carry over on every NG+ on the same file.[/spoiler]

I also recommend doing
Yuzu's
Yuzu's extended ending has a good version and a bad version, so if you're a completist you need to take it twice. I recommend getting Yuzu's bad ending first, then do a couple of other routes and tack on the Good ending. Yuzu's route is kind of an "if all else fails" route, as it's the only one available no matter what.
Oh snap, thanks for the list! And it's a little too late for me to do Yuzu's :3 Oh well lol. I'm also bitter (day 7 spoilers/party spoilers)
that Yuzu left my party. I expected a mini-speech from her about why it was wrong to become King of Bel but she was pretty much was like "that's wrong! kthnxbai!" So much for being childhood friends =(. On the flip side, I'm glad Midori left xD couldn't stand her magical punishment nonsense.

Javier

It's better to do the first playthrough always on Easy. The game is a lot less frustrating, and you're locked to Normal on NG+ anyway.

Thoraxes

MooMoo said:
Oh snap, thanks for the list! And it's a little too late for me to do Yuzu's :3 Oh well lol. I'm also bitter (day 7 spoilers/party spoilers)
that Yuzu left my party. I expected a mini-speech from her about why it was wrong to become King of Bel but she was pretty much was like "that's wrong! kthnxbai!" So much for being childhood friends =(. On the flip side, I'm glad Midori left xD couldn't stand her magical punishment nonsense.
Hey, at least Bro-tsuro stayed with me when I did that. I like how everyone can die to and gimp you in the end if you don't do it right... I think. Either way, Keisuke, Yuzu, and Midori all left me. My first time through my end party had MC, Mari, Kaido, Naoya, and Atsuro available, which I thought was weird because it was totally different for the first 6 days.

MooMoo said:
I ended up fusing 2 guys in my main party with Anti-most, Absorb-phys, and Dual Shadow. Then they each had 38 Magic, I had Battle Aura, and then made sure each of them and my MC had Drain and a heal or revive.

I'd say you are in for a world of pain if you aren't good at your fusing, but I can definitely say that on Normal, for my first time through, I kind of enjoyed the punishment. I usually spent my 2 hours of train-riding commute grinding.

Kazerei

Banned
Javier said:

I also recommend doing
Yuzu's

There's really no point in
doing Yuzu's route twice. Just play it once, and go for the good ending, but make a separate save file around mid-afternoon so you can watch the bad ending. Continue onto new game plus after getting the good ending.

Completing the good ending unlocks both the Reinforcer and Peacemaker titles. Completing the bad ending unlocks just the Peacemaker title. So you really only need to get the good ending.

MooMoo

Thoraxes said:
Hey, at least Bro-tsuro stayed with me when I did that. I like how everyone can die to and gimp you in the end if you don't do it right... I think. Either way, Keisuke, Yuzu, and Midori all left me. My first time through my end party had MC, Mari, Kaido, Naoya, and Atsuro available, which I thought was weird because it was totally different for the first 6 days.

I ended up fusing 2 guys in my main party with Anti-most, Absorb-phys, and Dual Shadow. Then they each had 38 Magic, I had Battle Aura, and then made sure each of them and my MC had Drain and a heal or revive.

I'd say you are in for a world of pain if you aren't good at your fusing, but I can definitely say that on Normal, for my first time through, I kind of enjoyed the punishment. I usually spent my 2 hours of train-riding commute grinding.
I also like how the party make-ups dynamically change based on your decisions. Character spoilers of DOOM regarding Keisuke-
his death was pretty awesome :S I actually wanted to keep him alive but by the time I realized I could have done things differently to save both Mari and Keisuke, Keisuke was already dead haha.

Anyways, day 7 spoilers for Naoya's route:
I beat Jezebel and the 3 Devas, which I thought were pretty easy. I had to give Jezebel a second try because I sort of bum rushed everyone into the lava on my first battle and was like "oh shiz, everyone is melting to death!" Devas were pretty easy, even when there were two of them on the field. I gave the battle with Jezeboul (? also lol at the fact that he's this ginormous fly monster) one try but then one of the monsters I set for a skill crack attacked the wrong party member, so I reset lol.

As for my fusions, they're rock solid. My fourth party member sort of has the leftover demons and I'm too lazy to fuse up decent ones. Also I'm glad I took the advice on making a magic-based MC. For comparison's sake, Atsuro is strong; physical attacks + draining passive spells means I basically never have to heal him but a lot of the end game enemies are resistant, reflect, nullify, etc. physical attacks =/. Although I love my MC's party. Double Megido + Holy Dance + autoregenerating HP at start of battle + MP regen from enemy deaths is an insanely powerful combo lol.

Very late edit: Final boss spoilers for Naoya's route:
EFFFF. I can't beat Belberith. It's not so much the Shomonkai members/spawning COMP monsters that are the issue; they're easy. It's when Belberith starts targeting my party members that they fall like flies x.X A lot of them have elemental resistances but no physical resistances so it hurts like a bitch when Belberith does Mighty Hit (?) or a normal attack (which targets all party members) twice in a row. Time to grind a little/shift around abilities and party members since he has a thing for killing Mari, my main healer team, first. And yeah, I know he isn't the final boss since there's that Babel guy afterwards. Looks like it'll be a while before I finish this game.

mjc

I'm thinking of picking up a copy of this tomorrow, I was kinda shocked to see it going for $60 on Amazon. I still have the DS version but I never got far into it and the idea of full voice acting intrigues me.

MooMoo

So one last bump from me :p I had Super Mario 3D Land distract me from this game for a short while but I figured if I didn't finish this game soon enough that I'd forget all the mechanics/plotline. It took me about 35 hours to finish through to the end of Naoya's 7th day and I managed to net 390 completion points :D By the time I finished, I decided I couldn't possibly go through the 8th day simply because that final set of bosses was pretty brutal. Final boss spoilers for Naoya's route:
Jesus fucking christ mang that was insane. I tried beating Belberith with a party of low level 60s but they were getting mopped by Belberith. Plus I think he had a thing for Mari cause he would always target her first no matter what. So I ended up having to grind to level 65-68 just so I could unlock some better demons. The following Babel fight wasn't actually that bad, in fact it was incredibly easy mostly because it was more of an MP endurance fight more than anything else; in the entire sequence only Atsuro and Naoya died and I literally had Babel down to a sliver of health when that happened (my only two deaths in the game :S). But the entire Belberith to end of 7th day sequence took about 3-4 hours for me to finish, which includes the few levels I had to grind and all the monster fusing I had to look up.

I started up a second playthrough and I'm blasting through everything :D I remember someone earlier mentioned how this game had a LOT of text and that's pretty much my major complaint right now. Going through the storyline for the first time, I didn't really mind all the dialogue but even the L+R function seems a little shorthanded now; I wish pressing 'Start' could just skip entire dialogue scenes altogether. It's really nice to have my skills brought over as well as have the fusion level limit lifted though. And while I would have liked to have all my demons transferred, the four I managed to bring over is more than enough for now.

All in all, I'm glad I bought this game. I had my doubts about it but it delivered 35 hours of glorious hardcore RPG tastiness. And while going through the NG+ is just a little tedious with all the dialogue, I look forward to unlocking all the routes sometime in the near future.

Venfayth

This game is like $80 on Amazon atm. I am a scumbag and haven't bought it yet, but I really need something to pass the free time at work. Is there any chance this price will drop?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is it worth it to get it if I have the DS game?

I think it depends if you liked the systems enough to want to replay it for the small changes/new skills or care enough about the story to see how each ending would play out. Basically, if you thought of playing the game over again, this is the way to do it. If you haven't, then you probably can just wait for DS2.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
A lot of people recommended the DS game, and this seems like a nice package for someone who hasn't played the original. But are there any technical issues I should know of? Considering its an early and quick (albeit updated) port.

Kazerei

Banned
A lot of people recommended the DS game, and seems like a nice package for someone who hasn't played the original. But are there any technical issues I should know of? Considering its an early and quick (albeit updated) port.

The only problem I know of is the game occasionally freezes when you try to analyze a data disc in a free battle. You should make a suspend save before analyzing. Then if the game freezes, you can reload and try approaching the data disc from another direction.

The only problem I know of is the game occasionally freezes when you try to analyze a data disc in a free battle. You should make a suspend save before analyzing. Then if the game freezes, you can reload and try approaching the data disc from another direction.
What an odd glitch, but as long as it is the only one. I'll have to remember that.

Been playing this, only on day one. So, what's up with the big disparity between the volume for the voice acting and everything else? I set the 3DS to stereo as opposed to surround sound. I'm glad it isn't the voice acting that is muffled, but still. Seems like it's kind of done to hide the low sound quality of the music. The voice acting is solid so far. Yuzu and particularly Atsuro are good, and more Laura Bailey is always welcome. The voice actors for Naoya and Keisuke were not what I was expecting. Gin and Haru sound a bit iffy as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Been playing this, only on day one. So, what's up with the big disparity between the volume for the voice acting and everything else? I set the 3DS to stereo as opposed to surround sound. I'm glad it isn't the voice acting that is muffled, but still. Seems like it's kind of done to hide the low sound quality of the music. The voice acting is solid so far. Yuzu and particularly Atsuro are good, and more Laura Bailey is always welcome. The voice actors for Naoya and Keisuke were not what I was expecting. Gin and Haru sound a bit iffy as well.
Yeah, that's just the game... can't do anything about it sadly.

Top Bottom