• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor: Overclocked |OT| - And on the Eighth Day...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was surprised to see it was sold out everywhere. There isn't going to be a second printing?

I have made it a habit to stop buying games all the time on release, and finish the games I'm currently playing.

Thoraxes

I was only one of two people who pre-ordered it at Gamestop, and the only got 5 copies in total, which were gone by the end of the day.

I've learned enough about which games need to be pre-ordered to know better for this, and i'm glad I did. There are definitely some games to make sure you get right when they come out. The difference isn't so great between all of them, but there are definitely notables to always be on the look out for.

MooMoo

Welp, I ordered it on Frys against all better judgment. $45.95 with shipping. It better be worth it! Hopefully it'll satisfy my RPG craving. I've never played a SMT (or Persona) game before so it'll be interesting to see how this game is like.

Thoraxes

MooMoo said:
Welp, I ordered it on Frys against all better judgment. $45.95 with shipping. It better be worth it! Hopefully it'll satisfy my RPG craving. I've never played a SMT (or Persona) game before so it'll be interesting to see how this game is like.
Prepare to have your ass beat till something clicks and you suddenly get how the game and systems work (since you haven't been in the subgenre before, that is).

Been playing this non stop since I got it, I do have the DS version but stopped playing for some reason. Just got past the battle with Beldar which took a while to do, didn't have the right set up and needed more characters with electric attacks to get past all the Cat Sith. Plus my main character was really weak in terms of pyshical strength and was doing hardly anyn damage to Beldar so needed to grind him up 2 or 3 levels to bring that up.

Having an absolute blast with this. I really hope Atlus feels compelled to remake some of their other DS games for the 3DS, I would love to see a 3DS remake of Strange Journey or one of the Etrian Odessy games sooner or later.

MooMoo

Thoraxes said:
Prepare to have your ass beat till something clicks and you suddenly get how the game and systems work (since you haven't been in the subgenre before, that is).
Sounds good from here! I like it rough :p Even though I know Yuzu's route is the easiest one, I'm just gonna play without a guide and see what ending/route I end up with. I think this game takes the honor of being the sixth game I've bought and played this year.
Worthintendo said:
Having an absolute blast with this. I really hope Atlus feels compelled to remake some of their other DS games for the 3DS, I would love to see a 3DS remake of Strange Journey or one of the Etrian Odessy games sooner or later.
I'm pretty sure at E3 Atlus announced that they were considering/making an EO game for the 3DS. Or maybe it wasn't an actual announcement but just on that big slide of developers and games that were going to come out for the 3DS.

MooMoo said:
I'm pretty sure at E3 Atlus announced that they were considering/making an EO game for the 3DS. Or maybe it wasn't an actual announcement but just on that big slide of developers and games that were going to come out for the 3DS.

It was on the slide, yes. I wouldn't really consider it an announcement per se, but it is more or less confirmation that Atlus isn't definitively done with the EO franchise (and nor should they be, given that EO3 was far and away the best installment to date.)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I don't know if it's like this by you but I called 5 gamestops that had it in stock according to the website and only one had it in stock. It's their last one so it's the opened one which sucks but I'd rather buy that then potentially pay a lot more if they don't do another run.
That's odd, I've always found their tracker to be really accurate 99% of the time.
It updates each morning, but unlikely that someone bought 4 that day.

dallow_bg said:
That's odd, I've always found their tracker to be really accurate 99% of the time.
It updates each morning, but unlikely that someone bought 4 that day.

Same but my mom called 5 stores and she said only one told her they had any stock.

I set up a "Pick up at Store" on Gamestop's website and I'm going to go buy it today. I figured I need to find Overclocked now or be willing to pay a higher price later. I've always wanted to play the original, but I never did, so I'm excited to play this.

Edit: Just got back home from picking it up!

LProtag

Man, I don't have a 3DS even but when I saw a copy at my local Gamestop I almost wanted to get it after hearing about how hard it is to find.

I mean, eventually I'll probably end up with a 3DS...

Effect

Anyone know if Atlus will be issuing new shipments if not to brick and mortar stores but to Amazon.com and other online stores?

Wish I had picked this up when it came out but didn't have the extra money then and was kinda annoyed there wasn't more done to it as it was being labeled a 3DS game. Don't really care about that anymore. Guess I'll have to continue to be on the look out. Don't want to pay higher then the normal price though.

Questiona bout the 7 days aspect of the game. Is the game timed or does it progress like a normal RPG in that after certain events days and time progress?

ElFly

Man, this game is hard. Had to grind for a while to beat Wendigo, and even then all my teams were down to one guy.

Now I can fuse demons! wooo!

tuffy

Effect said:
Questiona bout the 7 days aspect of the game. Is the game timed or does it progress like a normal RPG in that after certain events days and time progress?
It's the latter. You'll be given a map with events on it, like "talk to <character>", and some of those events advance the game's clock. But, there's also lots of free fights you can redo which don't advance the clock. So while your party has a time limit, the player only has a limit on how many events you can do on a single playthrough.

Javier

Effect said:
Question about the 7 days aspect of the game. Is the game timed or does it progress like a normal RPG in that after certain events days and time progress?
The game progresses in intervals of 30 minutes, and you advance time by having important conversations and battles. Some of these events are required and only happen at specific times, however, there are lots of times if which you'll have to pick between several conversations (think base conversations in Fire Emblem if you're familiar with that), and viewing one event can cause you to miss another one, or viewing them in different order can affect the dialogue. All of this can affect later events, as well as the ending, so don't feel too bad if you feel you've messed up (which almost always happens in a first playthrough), as all that is part of the experience.

Effect

Thanks. This was the biggest thing I was unsure about in regards to the game. The 7 days thing always through me off.

Ainaurdur

Happened to be in Gamestop on Saturday and they had one sealed copy at $39, so I grabbed it. Not sure how soon I will get to playing it, want to get through several other games first. And online prices are already getting a bit crazy.

Busaiku

I'm way too obsessed with fusing.
Though half the time I end up forgetting what I'm fusing a bunch of lower demons for.

Yeeeees, finally found a copy here.

How should I build my MC? I know I should focus on magic, but IIRC I still need some of the other stats for some skills.

MooMoo

Rock on, my copy came in the mail today! Not sure when I'll be able to play it, but it's pretty much the only game in my backlog right now, so it'll get all the attention it deserves.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SolarKnight said:
Yeeeees, finally found a copy here.

How should I build my MC? I know I should focus on magic, but IIRC I still need some of the other stats for some skills.
You should focus on magic, but having some strength and agility for the early game can help as well. After that, it depends on which skills you want to use and meeting the requirements for them. Null Phys has a high STR requirement, iirc.

I need advice.

Im on day 6 and Im trying to do the following event:
Honda and his friend are trying to rush the JSDF quarantine line. Both demons and angels are also fighting there. The option comes up to pick a side, but I pick neither and choose to fight both angels and demons. I want to fight the demons for sure, as one has nul-fire to skill crack. Anyways, I manage alright, but not only do I need to defeat the demons/angels, but prevent Honda from dieing and well as keep him from leaving the map. Ive done it 6 times, and either Honda dies or he manages to escape. What's the best strategy to win this map.

Busaiku said:
Have demons with Phantasma/Flight.
It's a cakewalk afterwards.

Also, Belial was so annoying...

I dont undestand though. I can clear the map pretty well of demons and such, but its keeping
Honda from escaping, and not killing him
thats the real challenge.

Kazerei

Banned
The mission ends when you kill all the angels and demons, so try to do that ASAP by spreading out. Send one team to the lower left side, and send one team to the upper corner, 'cause that's where enemies will spawn. With your other two teams, stay in the middle area, clear the angels and demons, and just try to block
Honda

Kazerei said:
The mission ends when you kill all the angels and demons, so try to do that ASAP by spreading out. Send one team to the lower left side, and send one team to the upper corner, 'cause that's where enemies will spawn. With your other two teams, stay in the middle area, clear the angels and demons, and just try to block Honda.

Oh, see I was trying to do 3 things at once. Okay, Ill try that and see how it goes.

Amazing game though....

Kazerei

Banned
Oh, and racial skills like Bind (Jaki) and Constrict (Snake) will help to keep
Honda
from charging recklessly forward. But I think the best strategy is to just kill everything ASAP, before
Honda
even gets that far. You should able to kill an enemy team in the first encounter, maybe second encounter at most.

(Yeah, I probably should've spoiler tagged that first post ... erm ...)

Kazerei said:
Oh, and racial skills like Bind (Jaki) and Constrict (Snake) will help to keep
Honda
from charging recklessly forward. But I think the best strategy is to just kill everything ASAP, before
Honda
even gets that far. You should able to kill an enemy team in the first encounter, maybe second encounter at most.

(Yeah, I probably should've spoiler tagged that first post ... erm ...)

Its a pain though, that whenever you defeat a demon or
and angel
, they respawn elsewhere on the map.

So I made it to day 7 and I have to choose the path to get to the end.

Which paths would be the most advisable for the first time playing DS? I chose
Gin's
route. But I have another file ready incase I need to change my mind.

SolarKnight said:
Yuzu's is usually agreed to be the easiest one.

Argh!!!! I went through
Gins route
and had to fight
Jezebel
and had my ass royaly handed to me. Good god, this is a true SMT boss. Im level 50 and my team is average level 47 and I couldnt even hit it once. Any tips?

Sagitario

So... is this game sold out and out of print for good? NichM, any words about it?

I got a 3DS a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to get it.

Sagitario said:
So... is this game sold out and out of print for good? NichM, any words about it?

I got a 3DS a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to get it.
It appears there was only one print of this game, and it was a somewhat small print run. Online stores are indeed sold out and are not being resupplied at this time. So it's not surprising you're having no luck online. Ordering from private sellers is an option, though you'll be paying much higher prices.

But there's still hope. Some brick and mortar stores have a small number of games in stock. Check around local Targets, Sears, Kmarts, and Gamestops. If you persist, chances are you'll find a copy somewhere. (Kmart and Sears are good places to start, because - who goes to Kmart or Sears to buy their video games?)

There's also a chance Atlus will do another print of the game, though who knows how long it will be until that happens...?

Eusis

DidntKnowJack said:
But there's still hope. Some brick and mortar stores have a small number of games in stock. Check around local Targets, Sears, Kmarts, and Gamestops. If you persist, chances are you'll find a copy somewhere. (Kmart and Sears are good places to start, because - who goes to Kmart or Sears to buy their video games?)
Fry's is also probably good if you have one around, it's where I got my copy anyway.

Javier

SpaceBridge said:
Argh!!!! I went through
Gins route
and had to fight
Jezebel
and had my ass royaly handed to me. Good god, this is a true SMT boss. Im level 50 and my team is average level 47 and I couldnt even hit it once. Any tips?
Do you still have that spare file? That particular route is one of the hardest (if not THE hardest) to do on a first playthrough.

Javier said:
Do you still have that spare file? That particular route is one of the hardest (if not THE hardest) to do on a first playthrough.

Yes, I do. Im thinking Ill go through
Yuzu's route
and do this route on a second playthrough.

MooMoo

I'm only about an hour in and I'm liking what I've played :D imo the voice acting is surprisingly good! My only complaint so far is the audio. I sorta wish the base BGM volume wasn't so low compared to the voice acting. Also, is there a key to optimizing your auction bids/wins? For example, in FFTA2 you could look at the animation of the bidders and that would tell you how much they were going to bid for each round so you could place your own bid based on these tells.

Okay so I have the original game for DS and never played it, I really want to get to it though. But I was wondering, should I just buy and play this version instead? Are the upgrades worth it? Or should I just play the DS version and be done with it?

robotzombie said:
Okay so I have the original game for DS and never played it, I really want to get to it though. But I was wondering, should I just buy and play this version instead? Are the upgrades worth it? Or should I just play the DS version and be done with it?

I played both but prefer Overclocked ALOT more.

You should do Amane's route because you can fuse Metatron after it (he's really good for the secret boss on NG+). Though you need to do Naoya's route either Naoya's route and possibly Yuzu's as well but not 100% sure on Yuzu. If you don't care about that, do whatever.

Bel Marduk said:
You should do Amane's route because you can fuse Metatron after it (he's really good for the secret boss on NG+). Though you need to do Naoya's route either Naoya's route and possibly Yuzu's as well but not 100% sure on Yuzu. If you don't care about that, do whatever.

In regards to the 8th day, does it matter what route i take?

SpaceBridge said:
In regards to the 8th day, does it matter what route i take?

Well I only played the original so can't say for sure, but I don't think so. Unless you're able to fuse some more special demons at the end of each 8th day and that'd basically be the only thing that matters gameplay-wise. Someone else should know more, but Metatron is worth getting.

Bel Marduk said:
Well I only played the original so can't say for sure, but I don't think so. Unless you're able to fuse some more special demons at the end of each 8th day and that'd basically be the only thing that matters gameplay-wise. Someone else should know more, but Metatron is worth getting.

So I tried Gins route first but got my ass handed to me royally. Im now on Yuzus route, and so far so good, but I hate the fact that
Im escaping and leaving everyone in the Yamanote Line to die

How's Amane's or Nayoa route in comparison difficulty wise?

SpaceBridge said:
So I tried Gins route first but got my ass handed to me royally. Im now on Yuzus route, and so far so good, but I hate the fact that
Im escaping and leaving everyone in the Yamanote Line to die

How's Amane's or Nayoa route in comparison difficulty wise?

Amane is sort of middle ground but still kind of tough. You just need to fuse good demons. Not sure for Naoya since when I did it it was NG+ and you retain your levels and demons for it. Better to do it second on a NG+.

Top Bottom