• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor: Overclocked |OT| - And on the Eighth Day...

Urban Scholar said:
Just do what you like and do whatever on new game plus, there's no right or wrong path to follow its all up to you. In regards to the bolded you crazy, I love that guy.
He seems like he could get interesting eventually, but up to this point he's just sort of been the stereotypical power-hungry kind of guy. I like his sort of side-kick guy, the
guy who works for the corporation who had prior knowledge of the COMPS.

I'm about a third of the way through the third day and the story's really starting to pick up. The Midori missions were really starting to get on my nerves, but
Keisuke getting all self-righteous
made it worth it for me. It seems like the stories really starting to pick up what with all the riots and backlash against demon tamers starting up.

Captain N

I just started playing this and I must be doing it wrong. I say that because I'm finding Normal to be too hard for me.

Ricker

Captain N said:
I just started playing this and I must be doing it wrong. I say that because I'm finding Normal to be too hard for me.

You are probably not doing anything wrong..the game is terribly unbalanced,I am playing on easy and can`t beat a Boss that`s almost in the tutorial so far,stopped playing for now...looks like I will never finish this,just like EO I and II.

Volcynika

Ricker said:
You are probably not doing anything wrong..the game is terribly unbalanced,I am playing on easy and can`t beat a Boss that`s almost in the tutorial so far,stopped playing for now...looks like I will never finish this,just like EO I and II.

I hate to sound like a jerk, but you not knowing how to use strategy does not make the game terribly unbalanced.

Volcynika said:
I hate to sound like a jerk, but you not knowing how to use strategy does not make the game terribly unbalanced.
Uh oh, you're starting to sound like me!

Although I will admit Wendigo is a difficulty spike that most players aren't going to be prepared to handle on their first run.

Volcynika

mjemirzian said:

Although I will admit Wendigo is a difficulty spike that most players aren't going to be prepared to handle on their first run.

Noooooooooooooooooooo, not that :(

I still grind!

But yeah, I liken Wendigo to Matador from Nocturne a bit. Just because it seems like a sudden spike if you're not prepared for it.

mjemirzian said:

Volcynika said:
Noooooooooooooooooooo, not that :(
I still grind!
But yeah, I liken Wendigo to Matador from Nocturne a bit. Just because it seems like a sudden spike if you're not prepared for it.

I enjoy your back and forth guys <3.

Side note on day 5 I was losing this one mission I remember I didn't too much issue with first go around. I quite literally just changed what demons were assigned to whom and bam it went off without a hitch

Javier

Got this game on Friday and been playing all weekend. Can't believe this series (the whole SMT series) went past me all these years. I blame it on not owning a PS2. Loving the game so far and I'm starting Day 3
when Keisuke joins the party and we go to look for Cute Cosplay Chick.
The game does a terrific job at getting you interested and I love the main characters. It's great when a game has a cast of characters and they're all likable in a way.

Except for Generic Stoned Guy. Fuck that dude.

Been having fun with the Auction and Fusion features and created a couple of cool demons for my team. It's nice how the game lets you go at your own pace letting you try several options before advancing. Even grinding doesn't seem like a chore.

Although I had a truly frustrating moment at the end of Day 2:
I was fighting the battle where you had to protect Keisuke and Midori. I had managed to get Midori to safety and killed all demons, with only one left. Everyone was alive, and then Keisuke, instead healing as he was supposed to, attacks the last demon and commits suicide.

I swear I just wanted to punch his face.

Thoraxes

Do lots of fusion, auctions, grinding, skill cracks, etc. I'm playing on normal.
I'm finding the game to be a ton of fun, and I also managed to fuse a Sarasvati with 23 magic at level 13.

She just murders things, and it's amazing.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Kazerei said:
I just completed the game 100%, ask me anything! :D

/brag post

So what's the story for the eight day entails for each possible scenario that has the eight day?

Spoil me, I don't care. I have played the original all the way to hell and back and I am not going to buy this. So spoil me.

ninj4junpei said:
Wow, so this is sold out on Amazon. Must have been due to that sale. http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Te...348574&sr=1-16
Yeah, sort of makes me wish I'd grabbed a spare copy.

Thoraxes said:
Do lots of fusion, auctions, grinding, skill cracks, etc. I'm playing on normal.
I'm finding the game to be a ton of fun, and I also managed to fuse a Sarasvati with 23 magic at level 13.

She just murders things, and it's amazing.
The only thing that sucks about that it it'll be really hard to give her up. Early on I had a Pendragon with really high attack, 25 by the time I finally fused it. I fused it to get another high-power physical attacker, but it's attack was only something like 19. It's agility was like 3 times the Pendragon's though, and it's Vitality was slightly higher, so technically the new demon was a lot better overall, but especially early on if you get demons with one really high stat it's frustrating having to trade them in for something better overall but less specialized towards the one thing you want it to do.

Nearly done with the 5th day and the story is getting better darn interesting, but I wished they had trimmed a lot of the scenes. The number of times there's an exchange like

Bad Guy: I'm looking for a person of this description (insert details extremely obviously describing a character you've interacted with dozens of times) so I can kill them!

Party Member: Oh no! Do you think they might mean (character they were obviously describing)?

is really, really annoying. I think I'll actually like my New Game + playthrough a lot more, the game's various mechanics are so well-done that it's really frustrating being in dialogue half the time.

Does anyone know whether the HP dependent physical attacks like Berserk are stronger when character have high or low health? I like to keep my times healed, and I haven't really done any experimenting, but I have had a few demons with extremely high Vitality and average other stats and I was wondering if the HP dependent moves would be powerful with them since they have high health. Otherwise they seem pretty useless besides something to use Taunt, which hasn't seemed necessary to me in the slightest so far.

Kazerei

Banned
Laughing Banana said:
So what's the story for the eight day entails for each possible scenario that has the eight day?

Spoil me, I don't care. I have played the original all the way to hell and back and I am not going to buy this. So spoil me.

Yuzu route

You break out of the lockdown, but other demon tamers including Honda manage to break out as well. The angels decide to take control of humanity, as humanity is too incompetent to govern itself. The angels and SDF start hunting down demon tamers, including your party. Oh, and the SDF kidnaps your families. So you decide to head back into the lockdown, as it will be easier to hide from them.

On the inside, the fight continues between angels, demons, demon tamers, and the SDF. You also bump into Honda, who has returned in search of stronger demons that can resurrect his dead son. Eventually you learn the government doesn't agree with what the angels are doing, and starts opposing them. Seeing that the humans are rejecting the angels and continuing to use demons, Metatron descends and says that God has forsaken humanity, and you're all doomed.

Your party decides to go fight Belberith in order to stop the flow of demons into Tokyo. At the top of the Hills building, the Shomonkai Founder announces that his goal has been fulfilled. God has left humanity, so there'll be no more ordeals. He no longer needs Belberith, and surrenders himself. But then, Honda jumps in and becomes Belberith's new ally. You defeat both of them.

There's an optional sidequest involving the Four Devas and the barrier between the demon world and human world. Six months prior, Amane and Jezebel defeated Jikoku, one of the Devas, which weakened the barrier enough for demons to pass through. The sidequest involves getting Jikoku's sword and getting Gin's demon to replace Jikoku as one of the Devas.

If you complete the sidequest, the barrier is restored, and demons stop entering the human world. Everyone works together to get rid of the remaining demons, and it's a happy ending. If you don't complete the sidequest, demons will keep pouring in and it's a bad ending.

Amane route

You've sided with the angels and become the King of Bel and the Messiah. You order demons to stop attacking humans. The angels and SDF start the process of lifting the lockdown, but before people can leave the area, they must give up their COMPs. Of course, some people don't want to, like Honda. He tries to escape with a COMP, but you beat him up.

As the Messiah, you'll be able to see whether a person's heart is good or evil. The angels patrolling the lockdown area start killing the evil ones, but you disagree with that. Instead you talk with the evil people and give them a chance to redeem themselves. And it works. The tamer thugs renounce their ways and promise to atone for their sins. Everyone loves the Messiah!

But the Japanese god Okuninushi doesn't like you moving into his turf. He gives you a challenge. You must get Naoya to repent his sins (just like you did with the tamer thugs), or else Okuninushi will destroy all of Japan.

Okay, so massive backstory on Naoya. He is Cain, and you are a reincarnation of his brother Abel. In the book of Genesis, Cain killed Abel and became the humanity's first murderer. God's punishment was to make Cain wander the earth forever. So Cain is incredibly angry at God, and has been plotting revenge for a long time. Cain/Naoya's plan was to make you become the King of Bel, and then use that power to rise up against God.

You talk to Naoya, but he's stubborn. You run out of time and end up fighting Okuninushi. But when you kill him, his mother resurrects him. You kill him again and his mother resurrects him again. Then Naoya shows up and joins the fight. Together you kill him a third time. Sensing that Naoya actually cares for you, Okuninushi acknowledges that you are worthy of being Messiah and spiritual leader of Japan. Happy ending.

Naoya route

You've sided against the angels and become the King of Bel. You order demons to stop attacking humans. But the angels are jerks and continue the lockdown. Metatron descends and tells everyone to go strike down the Overlord, and that the lockdown will be lifted once you're dead. So of course, people start attacking you. How do you respond? You're given the choice of either (1) convincing people that you're trying to help them, or (2) killing people, cause they're in the way.

The angels are actually super jerks. They order demon tamers to go after the Overlord, and tamers who don't comply are killed for their sinfulness. If you picked option (1), you'll have to save the tamers and kill the angels. If you picked option (2), you'll get to kill tamers and angels alike.

By saving people, they'll start to realize the angels can't be trusted, and that you're helping humanity by driving the angels away. You'll also meet up with Amane, who will lend her support. The Shomonkai worshipped Belberith, and believed its strength was needed to rise up against God. Since you defeated Belberith, you're it.

By killing people, that'll confirm you're truly an evil Overlord. But you'll get Honda's help in convincing demon tamers that the angels can't be trusted. It doesn't matter much, you'll be killing all the tamers and angels anyway.

Your battles with the angels escalates and eventually, Metatron descends again to smite you himself. After you kick his ass, he calls on the archangels Michael, Uriel, Gabriel and Raphael. But then you awaken as the Overlord, and summon the other Bels from within you. Metatron and the angels retreat from human world.

With option (1), you leave for the demon world to prepare for the continuing war between demons and angels. Months later, Atsuro and Yuzu miss you, but I guess it's a good ending. With option (2), you stay in the human world and rule like the evil Overlord you are. Badass ending.

Kazerei

Banned
And now to answer the question you've all been wondering

cimg0449r.jpg

Gvaz

Banned
What question? It's been a while since I've beaten Devil Survivor. Something about his headphones making him loki or some shit? I forget...

GooeyHeat

Just curious, is there a second fight against Wendigo that everyone's talking about? Because I beat him, and he was pretty easy. (I mean the actual fight, not the one with the weird girl showing up.)

Kazerei

Banned
Gvaz said:
What question? It's been a while since I've beaten Devil Survivor. Something about his headphones making him loki or some shit? I forget...

Nah, nothing that deep. People have just wondered wtf is up with those headphones. And apparently fanartists and cosplayers have been doing it wrong.

GooeyHeat said:
Just curious, is there a second fight against Wendigo that everyone's talking about? Because I beat him, and he was pretty easy. (I mean the actual fight, not the one with the weird girl showing up.)

That was the second fight. The first fight is when Amane shows up. The game's difficulty has been a bit exaggerated IMO. The 7th day and 8th day boss battles will be more challenging though.

Gvaz said:

The MC is
a reincarnation of Abel. Loki is a separate character in this game. Headphones are just there for style pretty much...

GooeyHeat

Kazerei said:
That was the second fight. The first fight is when Amane shows up. The game's difficulty has been a bit exaggerated IMO. The 7th day and 8th day boss battles will be more challenging though.
Okay, thanks. It was my second try, and I did a little planning, but it wasn't all that tough. I suppose if you just rushed in without doing any free battles or going to the auction much, it would be harder.

Javier

The game does feel rather unbalanced even on Easy mode. The first few battles are rather difficult, but Days 3 and 4 felt like a cakewalk.

Just started Day 5 and... holy shit that's a ton of convos.

Javier said:
The game does feel rather unbalanced even on Easy mode. The first few battles are rather difficult, but Days 3 and 4 felt like a cakewalk.

Just started Day 5 and... holy shit that's a ton of convos.
It was the same for me, I'm at the beginning of the sixth day now and it's still pretty easy. Every five levels or so I mess around with the fusion and make new teams for everyone, so I'm not grinding a ton but I'm swapping out demons at a pretty quick rate.

I agree with Kazerei, the difficulty is way overly stated. Even the infamous Wendigo fight took me one try. Like GooeyHeat said, the only way I can see it being challenging is if you didn't do any free battles, didn't use the auction, etc. If you play around with the tools the game gives you, it's pretty easy.

Boogiepop

What's the consensus on the Eighth day and whatnot from people who picked up the original? I played through the DS version once, but only got to a single ending, so I'm a little on the edge in regards to whether or not I want this...

Welp, I take back my comment about the difficulty being overrated. After a disappointingly easy fight with Belial (I just filled one party with Anti-Fire, healing spells, and Constrict and my MC's party with a couple high-magic Bufudyne users and Chaos Wave and the battle was a joke), I just got absolutely destroyed by Jezebel. Looks like I got some grinding to do, and it sucks because at this point re-purchasing my old demons to fuse takes a ton of Macca. For example I just fused my Berserker even though he's ridiculously powerful, and buying him back is going to cost about 15,000 Macca, which is about 3-4 Free Battle's worth. The next stage of the auction costs 150,000 or something ridiculous like that, I'm hoping that that's pretty much just for New Game +.

It's just more of getting together the broken/game breaking skills and demons. Look at the gamefaqs boards. They usually have most of the stuff figured out that lets you kill almost any boss in one round with no risk of death.

mjemirzian said:
It's just more of getting together the broken/game breaking skills and demons. Look at the gamefaqs boards. They usually have most of the stuff figured out that lets you kill almost any boss in one round with no risk of death.
I might take a look if I can't beat Jezebel after getting some better demons, but I really don't see how you'd be able to exploit it in any way. It can attack at a range where you can't attack it without having it retaliate and it doesn't have a weakness. Unless I'm totally missing something just being powerful enough to kill it before it kills you is about all you can do, and outside of obvious stuff like making sure casters have the Awakening skill I don't see any combos that will make it a pushover.

Tim-E

I haven't been able to buy this game yet, but it looks like stores are already not carrying it and Amazon upped the price to $50. Is this normal for Atlus games?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Really surprised with the voice acting in the game, it's way better then I thought it would be.

Busaiku

Tim-E said:
I haven't been able to buy this game yet, but it looks like stores are already not carrying it and Amazon upped the price to $50. Is this normal for Atlus games?
Yeah, I checked around various sites yesterday, and either it's sold out, or above $40.
Luckily my local Gamestop carried a sealed copy, so I managed to pick that up today.

graywolf323

RPGFan put up their review - http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Shin_Megami_Tensei_Devil_Survivor_Overclocked/index.html

personally I agree with their conclusion

RPG Fan said:
Bottom Line:
Simply put, it's the best game on the 3DS right now.

it's the main reason I bought a 3DS from Target right when the price dropped (but before the official one so I could get the Ambassador program as well) otherwise even the 20 free games wouldn't have been enough to sell me on the system just yet

Thoraxes

Tim-E said:
Very limited printing of the game = Get it at launch or be screwed.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
At night time day 6 and
this is the hardest choice I've ever had to make in a game. Been stuck on the decision for the last couple of days.

The only choice I know I don't want to do is Yuzu's. Everything else seems to have pros and cons. Gin's choice just puts the problem off into the future and hes a boring character anyhow, even though its the most moral of choices. Naoya and Kaido's plan is intreging but i don't want to turn into a demon which is a symbol of evil. I do want Amane's christ powers, but I don't want to align with the angels cause the angels have been dicks. That leaves me with Atsuro, which sounds like the best plan, but he says his programing skills aren't good enough and everyone is saying screwing with the servers would end the world and I don't want to end the world.

So here I am walking back and forth talking to everyone saying ill think about it over and over again. I saved tonight in all 3 slots so I will be able to see the different paths, but my first choice is always the real one in my mind, so if I end the world then I end the world. Do I dare risk that? I would choose Atsuro if I knew Naoya was in on it, but he told us off when I asked. I wonder if something I did made Naoya trigger to not want to get involved.

I guess I'll just go with Atsuro and hope for the best...

Kusagari

I want to get this but I also pretty much lost any will of playing Devil Survivor again after doing the supposed hardest route,
Gin's
, my first time through the DS one.

K.Sabot

Glad I got this then! I have yet to see where it gets hard, but as soon as it does I might have to switch to easy. Too many big RPGs to play this month.

Eusis

I can't imagine this NOT getting another print eventually, most other Atlus successes like this got them, and those that didn't probably took too long to kick in and qualify as highly demanded (and even then, just look at Persona 2 EP). Still, better safe than sorry given that any number of things behind the scenes can prevent a second print.

Javier

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Wow, how is this literally sold out everywhere?
Awesome game with limited print on a new portable with a still small library.

Probably the best 3DS retail game until the Marios come out later this year.

Eusis

Crap, I missed Nich's post. Well, if it's TOO elusive I figure it'd eventually get another print run so long as the 3DS remains viable.

Eusis

UberTag said:
You might luck out if you have stores like Fry's near you, the one in San Marcos had I think 3 copies (either before or after I grabbed one), and sometimes rare games seem to linger there longer than other places. I'll keep an eye out when I go in future visits to see how that pans out.

C-Jo

I couldn't really get into Devil Survivor the first time around, but I'm really enjoying it on 3DS. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, or maybe I'm just desperate for something good to play on 3DS, but it just suddenly clicked for me.

Top Bottom