• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devolution: Play GameCube games on Wii/WiiU, now compatible with CC, WiiU CC and DS3

Drago

Wait, so the WiiU has already been cracked open?

I figured that would be bigger news.
This is working through the Wii mode on WiiU.

The vWii, as it's called, is open to almost every single exploit that the original Wii was. WiiU itself hasn't been cracked yet.

Mesoian

This is working through the Wii mode on WiiU.

The vWii, as it's called, is open to almost every single exploit that the original Wii was. WiiU itself hasn't been cracked yet.

Ah, so the "emulated" wii mode has all the exploits of the actual wii hardware?

That's bananas.

But it makes the WiiU more interesting as a total package. Leave to it the modders, just like adding DVD support for the original Wii.

I wonder how well that would work with the GameCube to Wii Classic Controller adapter.

Don't all the bongo inputs map to standard GC buttons?

It does....except for the mic which you need for DK to "clap" which is how he attacks.

If this adapter could keep the mic functional then I'd be set but that's a little much to expect from a 3rd party peripheral.

I'll just give the Wii port of it a shot when I have some free time and feeling the itch for Jungle Beat, but using the remotes are not going to be the same as pummeling giant pig warriors with drums.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
It does....except for the mic which you need for DK to "clap" which is how he attacks.

If this adapter could keep the mic functional then I'd be set but that's a little much to expect from a 3rd party peripheral.

I'll just give the Wii port of it a shot when I have some free time and feeling the itch for Jungle Beat, but using the remotes are not going to be the same as pummeling giant pig warriors with drums.

I thought the Mic function was mapped to a button -- or am I just thinking of the limited functionality the game offers for controller play?

Edit: A post over on TMK claims that:

Front of Right- X Button
Back of Right- A Button
Start- Start (Obviously)
Front of Left- Y Button
Back of Left- B Button
Clap- R Button

If that's true, the GC->CC adapter should allow for full use of the controller in Jungle Beat...

jimi_dini

zMxMZkc.jpg

Alternative controllers (Wiimote with classic controller, WiiU Pro Controller, PS3
controller
)

Need a Wii U right naow.

Ninty, release that white Wii U premium.

GCMM+ works with gci format. Are you talking about saves?

Oh my. They finally figured out the encryption of Nintendo memorycards? I wanted to back up my Gamecube saves for ages.

I thought the Mic function was mapped to a button -- or am I just thinking of the limited functionality the game offers for controller play?

Edit: A post over on TMK claims that:

If that's true, the GC->CC adapter should allow for full use of the controller in Jungle Beat...

I can use a CC Pro or the Wii U Pro controller with it already and Jungle Beat was naturally compatible with the default GC controller back on the GC. That's not the issue. The thing is Jungle Beat is meant to be played on the drums and it's a really bad platformer without them.

I figure that if I did plug in the drums via the adapter, it'd just think it's a GC controller which uses a different button config than you listed like mapping claps to the C-Stick. And if it recognizes it as drums, then we're back to the no clap issue.

I appreciate the help, but I'm just going to have to take it on the chin for this one. If this adapter would keep the drums functional that'd be amazing but I don't want to buy it just to see if it'll work on this one game.

If Devolution allowed me to play F Zero GX with my Logitech Racing wheel, I'd be done for. Totally and utterly done.

Buuuut it doesn't.

On a side note, does Devolution require any of those custom IOS or MIOS or anything like that? Or is the Homebrew Channel enough?

Gattuso

If Devolution allowed me to play F Zero GX with my Logitech Racing wheel, I'd be done for. Totally and utterly done.

Buuuut it doesn't.

On a side note, does Devolution require any of those custom IOS or MIOS or anything like that? Or is the Homebrew Channel enough?
It doesn't require anything special to run, the homebrew channel is all it needs.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I figure that if I did plug in the drums via the adapter, it'd just think it's a GC controller which uses a different button config than you listed like mapping claps to the C-Stick. And if it recognizes it as drums, then we're back to the no clap issue.

I appreciate the help, but I'm just going to have to take it on the chin for this one. If this adapter would keep the drums functional that'd be amazing but I don't want to buy it just to see if it'll work on this one game.

It has a different control mapping? I wasn't aware of that... I thought it was a direct mapping. Now I want to go check it out. I was fairly sure the bongo was detected just as a controller...

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
I can use a CC Pro or the Wii U Pro controller with it already and Jungle Beat was naturally compatible with the default GC controller back on the GC. That's not the issue. The thing is Jungle Beat is meant to be played on the drums and it's a really bad platformer without them.

It has a different control mapping? I wasn't aware of that... I thought it was a direct mapping. Now I want to go check it out. I was fairly sure the bongo was detected just as a controller...

Sorry for the necro bump, but I recently moved and have been thinking what to do with my copy of Fzero GX and Donkey Konga laying around. It looks like Fzero works pretty fine.

Did you guys figure out a way to get the bongos working on Devolution? Did an adapter work?

Also, did someone find a way to get the analog triggers to work on the GC pad?

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm playing motha freakin' Gamecube on the Game Pad's screen as a monitor using a PS3 controller for Melee. This is dang awesome.

GAMECUBE ON THE WII U BAYBAY!

And here I go thinking I would never have to hack my Wii U...

Well, I guess that's that.
Playing GameCube games with the Pro Controller? FUCK YEAH, BABY!!!

I hope Gamepad support (for playing games that is) is getting patched in soon. That would be so motherfucking SWEET!!!

I hope Gamepad support (for playing games that is) is getting patched in soon. That would be so motherfucking SWEET!!!
indeed.

Although that sadly wouldn't fix the analog trigger issue.
Is there a workaround if you say, finish Path of Radiance with this, and then want to transfer the save data for Radiant Dawn on the Wii?
I'd guess you can get by using a memory card manager of some sort.

Otherwise... Just use a regular memory card to save data rather than the NMM (no more memory) method, that one should work flawlessly.
Guys, is there a decent fool-proof guide for installing Devolution on a Wii? Like the GAF homebrew Wiki.
Yes, there is.

It's thanks to that guide that I managed to set up usbloader gx to act as the frontend.

My previous loader was, for some reason, incompatible despite being up to date. Be sure to use their files (requires registation though) or ask me via PM (but I'm going to sleep now).

Sakujou

Banned
hey there,

i can start up devolution on my wii but i cant start it on my wii u.

what am i doing wrong?

also i have another question:

my wbfs partition and my gc partition seem to not work on the same hdd.

any suggestion?

jonezer4

Anybody gotten the memory card emulation to work through Configurable USB Loader?

By default I got "emu. memcard disabled" when booting a game.

By changing the game options to "NMM", it boots with emulation enabled, but no game recognizes any memory card being present once it's booted. I have a physical memory card, but without this working, I won't be able to play anything on Wii U which is kind of a bummer.

Lynd7

I'll have to look into this and try and get it working. It seems like a good way to have playable backups of GameCube games.

Porcile

This is cool. My Wii is no longer hooked up so I can't play my Gamecube games. I installed the Wii Homebrew Channel way back when it was the Twilight Hack. How easy is it to get it working on Wii U?

jonezer4

This is cool. My Wii is no longer hooked up so I can't play my Gamecube games. I installed the Wii Homebrew Channel way back when it was the Twilight Hack. How easy is it to get it working on Wii U?

It's just as easy as it was before, somehow. At least the letterbomb method doesn't work on WiiU -- that was insanely simple on Wii 4.3.

hey there,

i can start up devolution on my wii but i cant start it on my wii u.

what am i doing wrong?

Have you made sure to sync the same controller you synced to your Devolution rips on your Wii to your Wii U upon booting the game?

my wbfs partition and my gc partition seem to not work on the same hdd.

any suggestion?

Not sure what the problem is there, but a decent workaround is to convert all your WBFS games into FAT32 compatible .wbfs files. There's a command line app that does it, but the name escapes me. It's relatively painfree, just takes the program a while to convert everything.

Then you can just format your entire HDD to FAT32 and have all your .wfbs Wii games and your .iso GCN games coexist on the same partition. That's how I do it.

Lynd7

I'm just getting into setting up my Wii USB Loader to run my backups, it'd be great to do it for GC as well.

If I re-format my drive to Fat32, can I then just plug it in and rip my Wii games using USB Loader GX like before? Then when I install Devolution, I assume it'll just work too?

EDIT: I'm going with Fat32. Question though. I am doing this to try and future proof my games in case one day the disks/drives give out, so I want to be able to create a backup of the hard drive I am going to use to install the GC/Wii games. Can I make a backup and still have Devolution work without re-verifying?

Sakujou

Banned
Have you made sure to sync the same controller you synced to your Devolution rips on your Wii to your Wii U upon booting the game?

Not sure what the problem is there, but a decent workaround is to convert all your WBFS games into FAT32 compatible .wbfs files. There's a command line app that does it, but the name escapes me. It's relatively painfree, just takes the program a while to convert everything.

Then you can just format your entire HDD to FAT32 and have all your .wfbs Wii games and your .iso GCN games coexist on the same partition. That's how I do it.
i synched my wii mote as described... but it wont do anything on the wii u....

havent found a similiar problem on the internet....

Drago

So I just got a Pro Controller and I'd love to play some Melee with it to get a feel of how Smash plays with the controller, but the system doesn't recognize the pro controller being plugged in. Doesn't even charge! I would plug a PS3 controller in right after, with the same cable, and it works fine. This is supposed to work with the Pro Controller, yeah?

Any help?

Lettuce

Ok so just soft modded my Wii U, can i use the Wii U Gamepad or the Gioteck GC2WIU-14 - GC-2 wireless controller to play GameCube games via Devolution?

Also can Devolution now play GC iso files as all my GC are in the loft somewhere, plus i dont have a Wii to backup the disc's anymore

Also can Devolution now play GC iso files as all my GC are in the loft somewhere, plus i dont have a Wii to backup the disc's anymore

I believe you'd still need a modded, GC-compatible Wii to first verify your disc images before Devolution's DRM will let you play them on your Wii U. It can then load ISOs off of an external USB HDD IIRC.

rekameohs

Banned
I know this is a bump, but how are you supposed to use Devolution on Wii U? I know that you run the disk on a normal Wii to run the disk verification, and everything checks out there, but when I use the same Wii Remote on a Wii U, the screen's just black with the remote flashing. Is there some sort of specific IOS to use or something?

i synched my wii mote as described... but it wont do anything on the wii u....

havent found a similiar problem on the internet....

Sounds like we have the exact same problem. Did you ever figure it out? It's really weird how little documentation is put into stuff like this. It just says, put GC ISO into Wii, run disk verification, sync same Wii Remote to Wii U, and it works, but I have done precisely that and it definitely does not work on my end.

edit: It is a Wii Remote Plus if that affects things.

edit 2: Aha!!! Got it working! I reset the Wiimote pairing by holding the reset button in Devolution and paired it again. This time it worked! Seems weird that it didn't before since it let me use that specific Wiimote on the Wii side of things, but hey, whatever works.

Figures that I fixed my error just as I gave up and posted here. :p

It would be awesome if they could add DS4 support to this,
Isn't the Wii U controller more relevant (because currently one has to use an external wiimote+controller on the Wii U)

Alas, even Pro Controller is more relevant?

I'd say DS3 was just a easy plus, DS4 should also be easy, but certainly not something that's really missing (like Wii U gamepad support!).

Isn't the Wii U controller more relevant (because currently one has to use an external wiimote+controller on the Wii U)

Alas, even Pro Controller is more relevant?

I'd say DS3 was just a easy plus, DS4 should also be easy, but certainly not something that's really missing (like Wii U gamepad support!).

I'd rather have gamepad for sure. But the DS4 is so nice and probably easier to make happen.

Question. With this could I use my classic controllers to play Gamecube games on the Wii? Basically play the disc and save to the memory card but control the game also using the classic controller?

Can I also save to SD or the system instead of a memory card?

I've been on a bit of a 2D fighting game kick recently playing Street Fighter and SNK VC games. My arcade sticks are all for Wii, I.e. classic controllers. If I can play with my sticks I'm going to pick up a copy of Capcom vs. SNK 2.

Thanks for any help.

whitehawk

Banned
I'm having trouble getting Devlolution to run. I keep getting errors related to ahbprot access.

I have IOS61, do I need something else?

Top Bottom