• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devolution: Play GameCube games on Wii/WiiU, now compatible with CC, WiiU CC and DS3

Gattuso

Do Gamecube games look good on the Wii U?
From the games I tested out for a few hours they look really good.
Oh snap, Wii U's Wii mode has been hacked? Nice.

Can someone recommend what to do with my Wii U? I had the CUSB loader on my Wii, should I switch to GX for wii U? It sounds like it gets more support.

How about that DIOS MIOS thing for GCN games on Wii U, what do I need for that? My Wii can't read discs anymore Devolution is a no-go unfortunately.

I use GX on my Wii U but I can't say if CUSB loader gets less support than it mainly because I've never used it.
DIOS MIOS is only for backwards compatible Wiis.

First things first, do you have a hacked GC-compatible Wii? If so, you need CleanRip to rip your GC games to a storage device, and Devolution to run the games (these can be found in an earlier post). You need the Devolution app on the WiiU as well.

On the Wii: Once you have the GC games ripped to storage thrpugh CleanRip (in a folder at the root called 'games'), you need to go open up Devolution, mount the USB or SD and choose the ISO. After a little bit the Wii light will blink twice; sync a second wiimote during this. After the sync put the GameCube disc in that matches the ISO, and the game should now load (and you won't have to put the GC disc in again on either the WiiU or the Wii)

Then on WiiU: put the storage device with the ISOs in the WiiU, open Devolution and select the ISO you verified on the Wii. After ~20 seconds, sync the controller that you previously synced to the verifying Wii to the WiiU, and after a while the game should load on WiiU.

Sorry if that still sounds confusing. It's a complicated process but it's worth it for DS3 support and 16:9 GC games.

Can anyone verify this? You really need a Wii AND a Wii U to get going on the latter? Not really a problem for me, but sounds more cumbersome than it should be.

Gattuso

Can anyone verify this? You really need a Wii AND a Wii U to get going on the latter? Not really a problem for me, but sounds more cumbersome than it should be.

Yes you do need both a Wii and a Wii U, its the only way to verify your games so you can play them on the latter.

Drago

Do Gamecube games look good on the Wii U?
They look superb. Sharp, crisp, and colorful. MUCH better than the image I get through the composite GameCube.

Melee looks great, but the 16:9 mode is kinda buggy on the results screen and some stage backgrounds, possibly other places but I haven't played much Melee on WiiU other than a quick match or two. I'm too used to playing with a GC controller, I have a lot of trouble playing well with a dual shock 3 :/

Whogie

Sunshine on the Wii U, 16:9. So fukn cool.
FQ8thlt.jpg

Just so no one misses it, the link the OP posted also lists a program to rip your memory card too.

Does this work with games from other regions?

For example, I have a PAL Wii and a US version of Baten Kaitos. Can I rip my game and run it normally through Devolution or are there any extra steps required?

Burbank_

Is the WiiU hardware incapable of reading GCN discs?
What is the reason for the verification necessary? Just anti piracy or is it something more?

wii_HD

Neo Member

For example, I have a PAL Wii and a US version of Baten Kaitos. Can I rip my game and run it normally through Devolution or are there any extra steps required?

Of course or you could use GC Booter app for playing the physical disc as is (on a GC wii using GC controller ) or swiss booter but that requires changes made to MIOS.

...Mario Galaxy is not playable with neither the Classic Controller or the Gamecube controller

Oh yeah I'm aware of that though as far as I remember Donkey Kong Country Returns also was able to get button-remapped with homebrew so I was just curious!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Finally got around to doing Dios Mios last night on my Wii, but I'd really like to get this stuff on my U now!

Any good instructions for getting Homebrew Channel up on Wii U?

Also I've used CUSB loader to rip all of my games for Wii. I take it I have to rerip everything using Cleanrip?

Chao

This looks like a really big hassle, is it really worth it?

I would like to play melee without having to set up my wii everytime (it is already stored, since wiiu is what I use now)

Do I need to mod both wii and wiiu? My modded wii had lots of troubles so I don't want to mod my wiiu.

Shafto

Got this running last night, and it took some time, but it feels worth it.

I had ripped all my GC games before using CFGUSB on Wii. It was easy enough to switch them over, just had to move the ISO's out of the existing directory. Unfortunately, I also discovered a few of my rips weren't good, as some of my discs are a real mess. Devolution wouldn't validate F-Zero GX or Rebel Strike, but everything else was fine.

Ripped a few games I hadn't bothered with before too, took about 9 mins per game.

Used my main Wiimote Plus during the Devolution validaiton, as it stored the validation on the internal Wiimote memory. Started it up on Wii U and voila, Mario Sunshine in Widescreen. Playing games on the Wii U Controller Pro is immense.

Really bummed about F-Zero though, it was pretty much the reason I started the process and now I can't play it :(

Also - anyone else tried Double Dash? Can't get the widescreen to work on it.

deleted

Suscribed :) I have my Wii at my parents House and my Wii U at my home, so right now it wouldn't make any sense to hack it, but this is very exciting news!

Sunshine, Melee and F-Zero GX with a Wii U Pro Controller in Widescreen sounds awesome!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't want to rip my games so I'll just stick to Wii for GCN games. But since I've read about the option to rip Memory Cards: Can I rip my memory card data and later put the data back on my memory card, to make a backup of my GX-save?

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
The numero uno reason I want to do this is for F-Zero GX.

Bit of a shame, but also very cool to see this is possible.

rjc571

Banned
It works without any issues at all on Wii U? Sorry, if so I must have completely misunderstood.

I don't have a Wii U, but it works on the Wii so why wouldn't it work on the Wii U?

Your first post doesn't provide any contextual information, so I don't know why you aren't able to play F-Zero GX with Devolution. It reads like you were under the impression that the game isn't compatible.

TunaLover

It doesn't matter the region, Devo can run games from any region.

Is the WiiU hardware incapable of reading GCN discs?
What is the reason for the verification necessary? Just anti piracy or is it something more?
Yes, it's not able to read GCN disc, maybe it has to do with WiiU not having MIOS and AHBPROT access since it can't verify disc either. Verification is just for AP nothing more.

Finally got around to doing Dios Mios last night on my Wii, but I'd really like to get this stuff on my U now!

Any good instructions for getting Homebrew Channel up on Wii U?

Also I've used CUSB loader to rip all of my games for Wii. I take it I have to rerip everything using Cleanrip?
Not sure about Configurable USB, but USB Loader GX can make the verification process just fine. You need re-verify your GCN games again with this Devo version, not need to rip again if you already have them.

This looks like a really big hassle, is it really worth it?

I would like to play melee without having to set up my wii everytime (it is already stored, since wiiu is what I use now)

Do I need to mod both wii and wiiu? My modded wii had lots of troubles so I don't want to mod my wiiu.
Yes, you need softmod both, Wii to make the backups, and WiiU to access to your HDD.

How easy and safe is it to set up the homebrew channel on the Wii U?
A list of TO DO and NOT TO DO, it's safe if you follow every step to the word, most people having issues were becuase they mod the WiiU as if was a normal Wii, and it's not, you need special homebrew apps.

I don't want to rip my games so I'll just stick to Wii for GCN games. But since I've read about the option to rip Memory Cards: Can I rip my memory card data and later put the data back on my memory card, to make a backup of my GX-save?
Not sure about your question, but when you make a backup of your GCN saves they don't get deleted from your memory card.

Theonik

Not sure about your question, but when you make a backup of your GCN saves they don't get deleted from your memory card.
I think what he wants to do is to copy the contents of the card, use that save, then write it back into the card.

Madao

i got everything running and played some grand prix of F-Zero GX on Wii U with the Wii U Pro pad.

this controller really needed those analog shoulder buttons since it is a bit harder to drive with just the digital clicks. if it wasn't for that, using this pad would be 100% superior to the GC controller.

games that didn't use analog shoulder button functions should be perfectly playable. now GC TP is the absolute best version of TP since you can toggle 16:9 on it, negating another advantage the Wii version used to have (sadly, mp1 and mp2 can't be forced into 16:9)

Dwayne

Playing some Kururin Squash! on my Wii with PS3 controller. Pretty awesome! tempted to get it running on my Wii U now, but don't want to get caught out with the hacks installed by a Nintendo update.

FYI: GC controller is not required to launch games, and you can run it all off SD card.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well... wow... even on WiiU? I said wow.

Okay Nintendo... better speed up the releases on those VC games, especially GC games, or pirates are about to eat your lunch... again. They will find a way!

Tried some of my games and they all work without problems.

Unfortunately, some games can't be forced into widescreen mode, so as a little heads-up, I'm posting my findings on that matter.

works in 16:9
Super Mario Sunshine
Naruto: Clash of Ninja games (tested with Japanese versions)
Tales of Symphonia
Fire Emblem
Luigi's Mansion
P.N.03
Viewtiful Joe
Zelda: Wind Waker
Wave Race: Blue Storm

cannot be forced into 16:9
MGS: Twin Snakes
SW: Rogue Squadron games
Metroid Prime games
Star Fox Assault
Smash Bros Melee
Mega Man Network Transmission
Zelda: OoT & Master Quest
Mario Kart: Double Dash

ZeroCDR

Finally got around to testing this out yesterday. Took awhile to get everything set-up and working, but once you get the hang of things it's pretty painless.

So far I've only tried Resident Evil 2, and I'm extremely satisfied. I think this may very well be the best way to play RE2 on consoles. It's also worth nothing that RE2 on GameCube does not support 480p, so the Wii U does a fantastic job converting the signal. It looks excellent.

Okay Nintendo... better speed up the releases on those VC games, especially GC games, or pirates are about to eat your lunch... again. They will find a way!

I find it funny how people kept saying it would be impossible to get GC games on VC because the Wii U doesn't have controller ports and memory slots. Turns out that it's not only possible, buy also quite easy. This is just another case of Nintendo incompetence.

TunaLover

Actually you can't do piracy with Devolution.

Does this work with gcm files?

I'm capable of ripping GCM files from my Gamecube to my PC by using a program created for PSO Episode I & II. I've done it in the past for Dolphin, would be interested if it would work with this.

Unless of course, it actually works with real Gamecube discs on Wii U.

Cbajd5

I'm capable of ripping GCM files from my Gamecube to my PC by using a program created for PSO Episode I & II. I've done it in the past for Dolphin, would be interested if it would work with this.

GCM files are apparently just ISO files with a different extension. As long as they're 1:1 rips they'll verify with the same game.

You need a GC compatible Wii to verify the games though, and thus the same system would work with CleanRip to rip them too.

Nash20

Banned
Why do I have to go through all this trouble to play Gamecube games on my Wii U if it can play them without any issue?

TunaLover

GCMM+ works with gci format. Are you talking about saves?

So do I have to verify each game on my wii every time I want to play a game on my wii u? For example, if i rip both my pikmin and my wind waker disc on my wii, verify them both on my wii one at a time (say I verify pikmin, then wind waker), once I put the rips in my wii u, could I play both without having to re-verify or will it only recognize the verification of the second game (wind waker)?

Madao

i made a video showing how the Wii U performs with a GC game (F-Zero GX in this case)

So do I have to verify each game on my wii every time I want to play a game on my wii u? For example, if i rip both my pikmin and my wind waker disc on my wii, verify them both on my wii one at a time (say I verify pikmin, then wind waker), once I put the rips in my wii u, could I play both without having to re-verify or will it only recognize the verification of the second game (wind waker)?

you have to boot the game you want to verify individually. can't do it in bulk.

the good thing is that it is done just once. after that, you can boot the games without verification. just be sure to use the same remote you used to verify in the wii on the Wii U.

i made a video showing how the Wii U performs with a GC game (F-Zero GX in this case)

you have to boot the game you want to verify individually. can't do it in bulk.

the good thing is that it is done just once. after that, you can boot the games without verification. just be sure to use the same remote you used to verify in the wii on the Wii U.

so basically, on game per remote. correct?

one more question, do I have to install hbc to the wii u or can I just run smash stack and have that load hbc to load devolution? I'd rather not install anything to my wii u in the rare event something happens to the system and I need it repaired.

edit: I lied, one more question: What are some good Gamecube games I should hunt down? I only have Wind Waker, Pikmin, DK Jungle Beat and Donkey Konga.

I thought it would be a way to read gamecube discs on wii u. :( still with a bit of work I can get my few games running on it and in true 16:9(?)

Madao

one more question, do I have to install hbc to the wii u or can I just run smash stack and have that load hbc to load devolution? I'd rather not install anything to my wii u in the rare event something happens to the system and I need it repaired.

edit: I lied, one more question: What are some good Gamecube games I should hunt down? I only have Wind Waker, Pikmin, DK Jungle Beat and Donkey Konga.

i think loading HBC with smash stack and then load devolution works but i haven't tried that. i installed the HBC since the process you described seems too clunky to do every time. you could try it since nothing gets installed and that is a safeguard in case something goes wrong.

other good GC games are Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario TTYD, SSBM and F-Zero GX. the Metroid Primes and Zelda TP are recommendable too if you don't have the Wii versions.

Drago

I thought it would be a way to read gamecube discs on wii u. :( still with a bit of work I can get my few games running on it and in true 16:9(?)
Yes, it is indeed true 16:9. Though there are small black bars on the side (and that size seems to differ from game to game) so it's not a full widescreen picture, but it's close enough.

Are there any performance issues or do the games run flawlessly?
Every game I tried has been flawless. The games run natively on the Wii part of the WiiU hardware I believe so there shouldn't really be many issues.

Also, do we have any idea when to expect crediars Nintendont loader to come out? It's basically the same thing as Devolution but it's a straight ISO loader, no Wii verification needed, and USB controller only (but GC controllers work through some USB adapters)? Sounds a lot more convenient and easier to use, though I have very few problems with Devo as is.

Gattuso

If you don't want to install the hbc then just put loadmii's boot.elf file in the root of your sd card and from there load up devolution.

Madao

more testing.

i plugged a GC controller to the Wii Remote using the GC-to-Wii adapter that was released recently and it works. the adapter even lets the games recognize the analog shoulder buttons properly so mp1 and mp2 can be played the same as on GC.
there's one problem though. the face buttons are all shifted clockwise and it can get confusing to play like that. if you don't mind that problem, the GC pad can be used perfectly (rumble doesn't work though. the remote vibrates with this configuration like with classic controllers)

the thing this really needs is mappable buttons. some of these controller issues come from certain buttons being mapped to certain controllers. on the tests, i found they map the old classic pad's R button to the Z button and map ZL and ZR to the L and R buttons and that's wrong since L and R are meant to coincide with the L and R buttons and not ZL or ZR.

linkboy

I used CleanRip to make a copy of my copy of Wave Race, but when I try to run it via Devolution, all it does is flash the drive 3 times and then exit back to the Homebrew Channel menu.

Anyone know anything about that, or how to fix it?

so i am trying to boot devolution through loadmii using smash stack. loadmii boots but doesn't recognize the sd card (says it is not inserted) even though smash does. anyone able to help? does the sd card need a specific file structure?

Top Bottom