• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devolution: Play GameCube games on Wii/WiiU, now compatible with CC, WiiU CC and DS3

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, so how on earth are people actually playing Gamecube games on a Wii U? I have the loader up and running but I have no way to pair a necessary controller.

MKUltra

Just got round to installing this, it's working great for me so far with the games I've tried, Not sure how to get my DS3 working though, pressing L3 + R3 exits Devolution but nothing else.

Dwayne

IIRC you "pair it" with L1+R1 (or whatever is in the OP) and then disconnect it from the Wii. There's a button that changes the player number and another that sets it, and then away you go.

MKUltra

Thanks, wondered why the player LED kept flashing when I pressed start, for anyone else wondering it was Start to change player and the PS button to set it.

I used CleanRip to make a copy of my copy of Wave Race, but when I try to run it via Devolution, all it does is flash the drive 3 times and then exit back to the Homebrew Channel menu.

Anyone know anything about that, or how to fix it?

How did I not know Devolution was working on Wii U?

How did I not know it supported CC Pro?

How did I not know I could rip my GC games directly to my Wii U?

Holy fuck,

so i am trying to boot devolution through loadmii using smash stack. loadmii boots but doesn't recognize the sd card (says it is not inserted) even though smash does. anyone able to help? does the sd card need a specific file structure?

Thank you for posting this.

Playing Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes with a Dual Shock 3 :)

Can someone help with disc 2 though? It has to be in the same folder but what do I call the disc 2 iso?

bbdude

Gamepad support and I'll never update my Wii U to keep it working

Oh this is Wii mode just interfacing to various bluetooth controllers...

Prez

Can't the non-GC compatible Wii's drive read GC discs? I have one and the GC memory card options are in the firmware for some reason. So maybe the controller and memory card ports have been removed but the disc drive is still the same as the GC compatible Wii?

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
So this confirms that the Wii U has full backwards compatibility with GameCube but they just locked it out? What an utterly bizarre decision.

When the Wii U was announced I was excited for the prospect of playing GC games on the gamepad and would have bought one at launch had it been an option. The small screen would have been perfect for masking the deficiencies of the dated hardware.

I'm so fatigued by their continuous terrible decisions with the Wii U.

Jinroh

So, if I understand correctly, it's a disk you need to burn, and when you boot it, you can play your gamecube isos on a wiiu by placing them on a harddrive?

If that's the case, hurrah, and it renders my wii totally useless.

Is there anything special when it comes to the hdd? Do you need to format it with the console first or is it standard FAT32?

Madao

So this confirms that the Wii U has full backwards compatibility with GameCube but they just locked it out? What an utterly bizarre decision.

When the Wii U was announced I was excited for the prospect of playing GC games on the gamepad and would have bought one at launch had it been an option. The small screen would have been perfect for masking the deficiencies of the dated hardware.

I'm so fatigued by their continuous terrible decisions with the Wii U.

it's not so much locking out and more that the physical hardware to make existing GC games work is missing. this only works thanks to regular Wiis with GC BC. otherwise there'd be no way to get these games into Wii U (and including that extra hardware is not worth it at this point of time).

what it confirms is that VC for GC games is pretty much doable. it now boils down to Nintendo actually wanting GC VC on the Wii U and not some technical limitation since a digital download of a GC game from the eshop could bypass all the current problems related to getting a GC game on Wii U (this looks a lot like how the GBA Ambassador games work in 3DS).

Madao

So, if I understand correctly, it's a disk you need to burn, and when you boot it, you can play your gamecube isos on a wiiu by placing them on a harddrive?

If that's the case, hurrah, and it renders my wii totally useless.

Is there anything special when it comes to the hdd? Do you need to format it with the console first or is it standard FAT32?

rip the disc, not burn.

the HDD can be FAT32. an SD card works too (and it would be more convenient on Wii U since the Wii U doesn't check that slot, while it prompts you to format anything in the USB slots on boot up always)

Jinroh

Oh it's an app, I thought it was a boot disc. If I ripped my games using my wii, are the isos 1:1? Or did it clean up the iso to free some space?

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
it's not so much locking out and more that the physical hardware to make existing GC games work is missing. this only works thanks to regular Wiis with GC BC. otherwise there'd be no way to get these games into Wii U (and including that extra hardware is not worth it at this point of time).

what it confirms is that VC for GC games is pretty much doable. it now boils down to Nintendo actually wanting GC VC on the Wii U and not some technical limitation since a digital download of a GC game from the eshop could bypass all the current problems related to getting a GC game on Wii U (this looks a lot like how the GBA Ambassador games work in 3DS).
I see, I assumed the discs were still readable, makes sense.

It's a shame they'd never get around to doing a comprehensive digital GameCube library. My dream is the entire Nintendo back catalogue under a subscription service but that'll never stop being a dream, unfortunately.

Really hope this mod team can figure out gamepad support and Nintendo don't shut it down.

I'm a little confused by this. Can I use Devolution on my WiiU to then do a rip of my current GC collection to play? Or do I need a compatiable Wii to do that and then put them to a USB drive and load that way?

Dwayne

I'm a little confused by this. Can I use Devolution on my WiiU to then do a rip of my current GC collection to play? Or do I need a compatiable Wii to do that and then put them to a USB drive and load that way?

You can't rip GC games on Wii U, so that's where the Wii comes in.

Madao

Oh it's an app, I thought it was a boot disc. If I ripped my games using my wii, are the isos 1:1? Or did it clean up the iso to free some space?

it does a 1:1 rip with cleanrip so you end up with big iso files. fortunately, GC isos are 1.4 GB only.

So would playing games through this set up give you image quality equivalent to the GameCube’s component cable or would it be the same as the Wii’s lower quality?

xJavonta

Banned
Wait, so this works on a retail Wii U?
What other kind of Wii U would everyone else be using? You just need to softmid your Wii section on your Wii U I believe (an update shouldn't kill it since the Wii's firmware is finished)

E; can someone tell me if I can use the PS3 controller on my Wii to play retail GCN games? That's all I want lol

Appleman

Is there still the roundabout verification check to avoid piracy? I have my entire physical GameCube collection on a USB drive but I have to manually somehow use the Wii to verify each disc out of 30 or so?

KAL2006

Banned
What other kind of Wii U would everyone else be using? You just need to softmid your Wii section on your Wii U I believe (an update shouldn't kill it since the Wii's firmware is finished)

E; can someone tell me if I can use the PS3 controller on my Wii to play retail GCN games? That's all I want lol

Can a WiiU be softmodded with the latest firmware and does it usually get blocked with updates.

Jinroh

It might be a stupid question, but I don't understand how to transfer my GC isos to the HDD I just formatted using the Wii U, since the computer doesn't recognize it.

Am I supposed to format is using my computer? If yes, then will the Wii U be able to use it, since it will obviously be a different format?

Dwayne

It might be a stupid question, but I don't understand how to transfer my GC isos to the HDD I just formatted using the Wii U, since the computer doesn't recognize it.

Am I supposed to format is using my computer? If yes, then will the Wii U be able to use it, since it will obviously be a different format?

From what I understand, you'd format the drive with something like WBFS Manager, and then load the GC games onto the drive with CleanRip or something like that, on the Wii itself. Maybe you can load them on with WBFS, I don't know.

Jinroh

But isn't the Wii using FAT32? That's not the case with the Wii U... so I don't really understand what I am supposed to do.

Gattuso

Can a WiiU be softmodded with the latest firmware and does it usually get blocked with updates.
Wii mode has remained untouched with each update so I think Nintendo isn't even really trying to stop people from softmodding vWii.

You were supposed to format it with your computer not the Wii U.
This is using Wii mode so it has nothing to do with the Wii U OS .

Madao

So would playing games through this set up give you image quality equivalent to the GameCube’s component cable or would it be the same as the Wii’s lower quality?

it is higher quality than GC's Component cables on Wii U.

i played with HDMI on Wii U and GC games looked beyond anything the GC with component cable and 480p could ever do.

on Wii, you're limited to the Wii's hardware so it would look exactly the same as when you use Wii's BC.

But isn't the Wii using FAT32? That's not the case with the Wii U... so I don't really understand what I am supposed to do.

Devolution handles GC isos in a much simpler way than Wii USB loaders.

just use an HDD formatted (or SD card) to FAT32, rip the isos with a Wii and put them in a folder named "Games" in the HDD root and Devolution will recognize them. you'll then have to verify them on Wii first before being able to play on Wii U (and you'll need to use the same remote you used to verify on Wii U)
after this, the games should be playable if you followed all the instructions correctly.

Jinroh

Thank you for your reply. What do you mean by verifying the isos on the wii? Did you mean vwii? Also, will these isos work if I made them using USB loader or do I need to create them using something else?

Gattuso

But can is use that same hdd for both the wii u and wii mode or is it impossible?
You can't have both and partitions won't work since the Wii U must format the HDD completely before it becomes usable.
Thank you for your reply. What do you mean by verifying the isos on the wii? Did you mean vwii? Also, will these isos work if I made them using USB loader or do I need to create them using something else?

You have to verify that you have a physical copy of the game (to prevent piracy) by verifying it on a Wii. (The Wii U can't read GC discs so that where the Wii comes in).
You can rip the games any way you want to it doesn't matter how you do it..

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Nice best website for instructions how to softmod my WiiU

You mod it the same way as you do a Wii. Easiest (and least likely to ever go away) is SmashMod or whatever (loading the exploit level from SD card in SSBB)

edit - oops. Smash Stack. Anyway, any of these 4.3 mods that get the HBC actually loaded onto the menu should work fine. SSBM, Lego Indy.

https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/hacking-guide

Jinroh

I have a problem.

When I start a game for the first time, the drive flashes 2 times. So I insert the original disk. Then it flashes twice 5 times, and after a while starts flashing twice indefinitely while the disk is still inside, and the game doesn't start.

Does anyone know how I can fix that?

Gleethor

So post-system update I can't get anything to load. Its possible that I'm using the wrong Wiimote, but does anyone know if I need to re-authenticate each disc?

Gattuso

So post-system update I can't get anything to load. Its possible that I'm using the wrong Wiimote, but does anyone know if I need to re-authenticate each disc?

If you have to use a different Wii remote than the one that was used when the games were verified, you do have to re-verify using that Wii remote.
readme file said:
If you wish to repeat the original process for a game that has already been played (for example to link it with different wiimotes), remove any discs from the wii and hold the reset button when you choose the game to launch. Release the reset button only when the slot led starts the two-flashes sequence and continue from Step 5.

I made the mistake of using a third party wiimote when I was transfering. Caused all kinds of problems since when starting up HBC on the Wii U it would not register the wiimote, but Devolution kept looking for it.

I had to delete the Devolution files and GC games off of my card and re-verify my games again before I could get them to work. I am going to miss my Jungle Beat...It's not any fun without using the bongos.

Whogie

zMxMZkc.jpg

Gamecube Controller Adapter
Build of Devolution that has direct button mapping so the Gamecube controller works right: http://gbatemp.net/threads/devolutionccbr-remapped-classic-controller-buttons-small-mod.352271/ (Link is on the bottom of my post)
4:3->16:9 fix: http://gbatemp.net/threads/hbc-aspect-fix-app-by-tueidj.355488/#post-4789672 (Remember to turn on Widescreen mode in Devo with Minus + Left)

Just got this set up and I'm pretty pleased with the results, the 16:9 feature is really nice!

The Classic Controller Pro makes a pretty poor substitute for the GameCube one though, it feels too light. Anyone have any impressions using the Wii U Pro Controller for this? Worst case I'll pick up that Mayflash converter but I'd rather not be tethered to a Wiimote anymore.

Picked up a Pro Controller today, feels much better than the CC Pro.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I had to delete the Devolution files and GC games off of my card and re-verify my games again before I could get them to work. I am going to miss my Jungle Beat...It's not any fun without using the bongos.

I wonder how well that would work with the GameCube to Wii Classic Controller adapter.

Don't all the bongo inputs map to standard GC buttons?

Top Bottom