• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devolution: Play GameCube games on Wii/WiiU, now compatible with CC, WiiU CC and DS3

Platy

megaton for classic controller on cube games.
CAPCOM VS SNK 2 HERE I GO ! =D

but .... WTF MEGA MEGATON at ps3 controller o_O

When you think that wii homebrew is dead ....

Drago

Is there a video tutorial on how to go about doing this? I like seeing the step by step process before doing things like this

I like what I'm hearing. Would a homebrew circumvention of the region lock on WiiU be far behind?
Probably not, because this is a Wii exploit, right?

tokkun

And? Not everyone can afford a high-end pc.

And for many people it may be a better alternative. Why is everyone acting so defensive?

I don't know about "high-end"; the requirements are fairly modest. The PC I had back in 2008 was sufficient to run games at 1080p.

klausbert

Aw man, i'd really like this if you could use the Cube controller through USB or something. I have an awesome SNES Cube controller which has one of the best d-pads and i'd really like to use it again.

So, it's using the build-in memory of the Wiimote? That's pretty damn clever.

I really like the effort they are putting into it to prevent privacy. Even if pirates will likely find a way to prevent the check regardless.

All this is doing is inconveniencing people with legit GC games who don't own a Wii. People who want to pirate GC games have already done so and will continue doing so.

Ironic how the modding community is now imposing pointless restrictions to prevent piracy. Sounds familiar.

thefit

I need instructions to try it on my wii u my son keeps bugging me about luigis mansion GC and we don't own a wii.

Drago

Well Devolution runs on official IOS, you just need an HBCd Wii with GCN compatibility (the ones with GCN sockets), CleanRip to rip your GCN games 1:1, GCMM+ to make a virtual memory card. And of course Devolution r200.
OK, I think I can handle this on my own. :)

Also, from this bit in the OP:
- MINUS/SELECT + DPAD LEFT: Toggle the global widescreeen setting.

This doesn't mean making the games natively 16:9 and it just stretches them... right?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh wow. Maybe it'll make CoD4 playable with the PS3 controller. :eek:!

Cue me running from the waggle crowd, sorry not for me.

Buggy Loop

Now if someone can find a way to have off-tv play on the gamepad for all wii and gc games, that would make me instant purchase wiiU.

- Emulation of the Gamecube modem hardware using the Wii's networking hardware (wifi or wired)

Now THAT'S impressive. That's the first emulation of its kind I've ever seen.

If you want your games to work perfectly with no glitches of any kind, then it isn't great. Especially when it comes to Gamecube games.

Rogue Squadron 2, the one game which would look absolutely AMAZING with an internal upres, is almost completely gimped. Damn Factor 5 and your technical wizardry. Their entire back catalog is almost impossible to emulate properly *sigh*

Platy

PS3 controllers support two extra functions:
- L1 + R1: When the PS3 controller is connected to the wii via USB this will write the
wii's Bluetooth address to the controller's memory so it can be used wirelessly. This only
needs to be done once
(until the address is overwritten).
- L3 + R3: Exit Devolution (performs the same function as pressing the power button).

So ... if I use this homebrew than after that I can use a PS3 controller to play smash bros or mario kart ?

Or it will not be seen as a classic controller ?

Sophia

I am playing the Gamecube version of THPS3 on the Wii using a PS3 controller. This is madness. And awesome.

rjc571

Banned
I, uh, don't think this is working. After I launched a game, my disc drive led light has been flashing for a few minutes but I still have a black screen. Halp?

EDIT - Oh, you actually have to have the disc in the drive when you launch the game? Fuck, the readme instructions are too confusing.

Sophia

I, uh, don't think this is working. After I launched a game, my disc drive led light has been flashing for a few minutes but I still have a black screen. Halp?

Read the instructions at GBATemp. You need to verify the game with an actual retail disc. Which you can only do on a regular Wii as I don't believe the Wii U can read the GCN's minidiscs.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I wouldn't consider it the better alternative with the current compatibility.

The current compatibility is pretty damned great.

Sure, like most everything in the world - there are trad offs.

If you want the best of everything always, then get a WiiU and a beefy PC so you have the choice.

But for a lot of people, Dolphin is more than sufficient and with a little tweaking plenty of games work really well and look much nicer than being played vanilla.

No one is saying Dolphin is a perfect alternative, but it's pretty damned great. Especially for the things you can do with Dolphin that aren't possible with actual hardware (3D support, free camera, SSAA, etc etc)

DigitalOp

Banned
Finally!

Ughhhh Wii U has become the new console of the forever with Unlimited Retro via homebrew emus, Wii games... and now GC...

metalgearsalute.gif

Wii U, instabuy!!

F*** the VC. Nintendo can really kiss my ass for that one. Such poor support and half assed backing on a great concept.

Top Bottom