• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devs can set price and sales on Wii U's eShop

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have huge hopes for the eShop because of this.

andthebeatgoeson

Good news, few posts. I heard there is a day 1 update but it rapes your wife and makes you watch the 3rd matrix movie. Then it charges the dev 5 bucks a rape.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Didn't the Fez dev say "fuck it I'm not patching the game" because of the high price for patching the game?

Awesome news

Phil Fish couldn't work out how to fix his game; the submissions fee required for the patch was just an additional incentive to give up.

zroid

Banned
Another Wii U thread? Geez!

image.php

Agent X

Very good news!

I think Nintendo greatly mishandled the Wii's online marketplace in the past, and still wish they would go back and apply some of these policy changes to their older systems as well. Regardless, this is a step in the right direction for them.

Orayn

Does this happen with Steam?

There are a few games where it's a problem, all of which are based on Unreal 3 since patching those requires replacing a huge portion of existing game files.

TF2 updates can be rather large, but aren't frequent enough for the size to be too annoying.

If it's the 360 approach where it patches rather than replaces, it should go quickly. If it's the PS3 method of replacing and then installing, then it becomes a pain. We'll know when this guy finishes his Wii U patch update and pops in Assassins Creed 3 how Wii U game patches are handled, because if I remember right Ubisoft said it was going to have a day 1 patch.

If it's the 360 approach where it patches rather than replaces, it should go quickly. If it's the PS3 method of replacing and then installing, then it becomes a pain. We'll know when this guy finishes his Wii U patch update and pops in Assassins Creed 3 how Wii U game patches are handled, because if I remember right Ubisoft said it was going to have a day 1 patch.

I think he still only has NintendoLand.

Corto

If this is disruptive enough to make the Wii U a golden haven for independent developers I will most certainly buy one. Your move Sony.

KageMaru

No charge for patches is bigger news IMO. Would be great for MS and Sony to do the same thing.

As for setting the price, don't Sony and MS already allow publishers to set the price for digital games?

If Nintendo sticks to all of this, indies will flock to them in droves. MS and Sony will be all but abandoned. This is literally sea-change huge. Possibly the biggest development news of the year. Completely excellent in every way.

zroid

Banned
If Nintendo sticks to all of this, indies will flock to them in droves. MS and Sony will be all but abandoned. This is literally sea-change huge. Possibly the biggest development news of the year. Completely excellent in every way.

I think Sony will step up for the next gen, but I'm not so sure about Microsoft. They may make some improvements but it would need to be quite the quantum leap to be level with the competition.

Thraktor

If this leads to Steam-level discounting of retail titles, then this is quite possibly the best thing to happen to consoles in years. Time to clean off my 500GB hard-drive in anticipation.

BD1

Banned
I think part of Iwata's Master Plan is to foster the digital download/indie development scene on Wii U. They've become huge proponents of the whole platform this year.

Haveri also noted Miiverse is something Frozenbyte definitely has its eye on, not just in terms of letting Miis run around and interact, but creating a social avenue that might allow developers to more directly communicate with fans. It's something that's a bit unprecedented in gaming, but is an experiment that might well be worth a developer's time.

HYPE

No charge for patches is bigger news IMO. Would be great for MS and Sony to do the same thing.

As for setting the price, don't Sony and MS already allow publishers to set the price for digital games?

I dont think MS allows free stuff. But they do allow publishers to set the price. Sony is the same way.

Not true at all. Indies hate Microsoft but stay there because that's where the money/gamers are. If Nintendo cant attract the core gamers back, the indies wont flock there.

Erethian

I think part of Iwata's Master Plan is to foster the digital download/indie development scene on Wii U. They've become huge proponents of the whole platform this year.

Probably because they're looking to what smartphones are doing more than what Sony/Microsoft are doing.

Sandfox

Yeah, it's supposedly thousands of dollars. I believe Phil Fish said it could be anywhere in between 10,000 and 40,000 dollars.

I can definitely see smaller indie devs leaving Microsoft next gen and just sticking with Steam and the Wii U barring something shocking happening.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
"They have pushed away all of the old methods that have been established before," Haveri told me. "Simply put they've told us that there are no basic payments for each patch (which were pretty high on most platforms) and that we can update our game almost as much as we want. For indie developers this is huge."
Nice. Very nice.

Corto

I can definitely see smaller indie devs leaving Microsoft next gen and just sticking with Steam and the Wii U barring something shocking happening.

That's the beauty of a competitive market. Microsoft and Sony will have to react having similar conditions on their services or even upping the ante. Either way we win!

Top Bottom