• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devs can set price and sales on Wii U's eShop

Coxy

Didn't see this posted yet, but Develop had a nice piece on Wii U development with quotes from Straight Right, Ubisoft Montpellier, Heavy Iron, Epic, Gamebase, Shin'en and Frozenbyte.

http://www.develop-online.net/features/1772/Wii-U-Developer-reaction

Some choice quotes:

“I recommend making very effective use of the multiple cores, graphics processor and large memory as that was critical in our ability to make Epic Mickey 2 look great and run smoothly on the Wii U.”

I recommend they do that too :/

warerare

In Europe we have a sale on Puddle and Trine 2 which ends December 31st. I imagine we will see more sales next year as the games get older.

Jack_AG

Banned
This is seriously making me consider a Wii U port. Would be an excellent entry point into console development for me. Although adding Mac OS and Linux to the mix of PC development weighed me down some... its most certainly not impossible with my modest title.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
This is seriously making me consider a Wii U port. Would be an excellent entry point into console development for me. Although adding Mac OS and Linux to the mix of PC development weighed me down some... its most certainly not impossible with my modest title.

What's the game you're making? I'd be curious what the process would be to get your title on the eShop. If you do decide to do this, you should keep us updated on your progress.

rpmurphy

Tekken is $54.99 on NA eShop, I think the only retail game discounted for the digital version. (And Sing Party, but that's because of the lack of the mic peripheral)

WillyFive

Looks like Nintendo learned from their mistakes from Wiiware. No more forcing the dev to sell the game at a higher price just because it supports the Balance Board!

Free DLC, updates/patches, and ability to do sales and set your own price? Wow, Nintendo made some very smart decisions there. It is still much more difficult to get authorized to develop on their platforms than it is to do so on iOS or PS Mobile though.
The bar is much lower than XBLA or PSN though, which is what's significant. It's great for indies, not for garage/hobbyists.

The fact that Frozenbyte or Neko can selfpublish on eShop is pretty huge, while on XBLA/PSN they were forced to sign with big established publishers like Index or Konami. And word on the street is, at least through the launch window, Nintendo's only taking a 15% royalty versus the 30% most competitive services demand. Microsoft and Sony might have to re-evaluate things themselves.

Top Bottom