• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

I don't think those are different textures. It just looks like different gamma and sharpness settings.

Different gamma settings is a thing I can understand, but for the sharpness settings I have to check out the examples in this thread first. I can't imagine that the texture differences are based on that. Also, I have to see the IGN video. What a morning.

Mother of god just watched the FPS comparison. Those jaggies in the X1 version are a massive disturbance to me ... the RGB setting even worsens this. Holy shit

Guys.

GUYS.

We....

Haven't gotten to the Call of Duty: Ghosts comparisons yet.

KuGsj.gif

Wallach

Jaggies on XBone, blurry on PS4. The point being it is not the huge gap I think many of us were expecting and I don't think it should be necessary to adjust my TV's settings to make it match the XBone version which is what people here seem to be implying.

You don't seem to understand - the X1's contrast is the one that is fucked up, and people are having to adjust the PC/PS4 images to figure out how it got that way. You don't want any of the consoles using the shitty RGB being shown in DF's images; there's a reason all the other sources releasing BF4 footage don't show this in X1 footage.

keuja

What is this supposed to prove? That if you fiddle around with settings the PS4 version matches the XBone version? With the extra "power of the 8GB GDDR5" the PS4 has the difference should be easily noticeable off the bat without having to artificially alter anything. The PS4 version still looks blurrier too. There is no way the difference is as great as everyone was expecting.

The suspicion is more on DF who appear to have applied some post processing to the XB1 image (hopefully not intentionally).
The IGN comparison video show a different image for XB1.

xn0

I'm extremely concerned about Digital Foundry's claim that PS4 used software scaling for this game.

The 360 and Xbone both have built-in hardware scalers, which are pretty decent quality, and don't take performance away from the GPU. We can see here, in the Digital Foundry screens at least, that the scaling method used by the PS4 is somewhat blurry. This could be a terrible thing if it were to become the norm for all non-1080p PS4 games in the future. I don't want my image quality compromised even more than the slight reductions in pixels rendered already do.

I could have SWORN I read somewhere that the PS4 finally has a built-in hardware scaler. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The PS4 does have a hardware scaler. My guess is that the PS4 was captured at a 1080p from the PS4 post scaler (basically corrected 1080p from the reported 1600x900 native resolution of the game) whereas the XB1 was captured at 720p which is the native resolution of the game which means no upscaling was necessary. Which is why i'm going to wait to see both versions on 1080p tvs, my guess is that the XB1 720p upscale isn't going to hold up as well next to the 900p PS4 upscale. Direct captures from these devices can be deceptive and confusing especially given if one is applying scalers and the other isn't.

jayu26

Digital Foundry said the soldier's camo and ground textures were randomized.

"Ground textures appear different during the campaign mode, with variations of the same texture being planted in the same spot. Neither one is especially greater in detail, suggesting these tiles are partially randomised, much like the soldier camo designs on our character's arms. The PS4 does on occasion suffer from a slight delay in drawing in higher textures"

What the fuck!?

Pop

lol, the pic above this post says otherwise, the PS4 version dont look much better.

Yes it does, go watch Jacks videos. Granted that short video of IGN doesn't show much but I noticed right when it switched to mp on X1 it looked like ass.

Sp seems like it has an obvious difference in some scenes while less in others. The difference is no where near as big as I thought it would be.

On the other hand, MP looks awful. WHile the PS4 is the definitive winner in that area, it still looks pretty shit.

Didn't Jack Frags say that Xbox SP looked worse than PS4 MP, because that isn't the case here.

Tabular

Banned
You don't seem to understand - the X1's contrast is the one that is fucked up, and people are having to adjust the PC/PS4 images to figure out how it got that way. You don't want any of the consoles using the shitty RGB being shown in DF's images; there's a reason all the other sources releasing BF4 footage don't show this in X1 footage.

Yup. It's a strange one!

SRTtoZ

So it isn't just me. The Xbox One version, short of the aliasing that isn't quite as present on the PS4 version, if at all (which is welcome), really does look better. If nobody told me which version was which, I would instantly assume the Xbox One version was the PS4 version. I honestly would. The texture details just pop so much more. You see it on the environment, you see it on the characters.

PS4 gets an expected win in the performance category, but both seem to perform quite well on average from the sounds of the review, although the xbox one dips more heavily in the busier scenes they described, but it seems like pretty solid performance on both, which is a good thing. I don't know what's up with the upscale on the PS4 version, but for whatever reason, it doesn't look as nice as the Xbox One version, which has to perform a much larger upscale from 720p. Whatever the case, both gamers get a good version of the game from the sounds of it. PS4 version higher resolution as expected, but I gotta be honest here. If you hadn't put any names on any of the screenshots, I would instantly assume the PS4 version is the XB0 version, just due to the way the detail seems to stand out more. The PS4 version looks the blurrier of the two. The jaggies are distraction in the Xbox One version, however, and the PS4 version's softer look seems more attractive in specific scenes. The side by side just kinda forces you to jump and react more to the thing that pops, and I keep feeling the Xbox One version looks nicer. Still, that aliasing on the Xbox One version possibly gave me a few razer cuts on my eyelids.

Both versions look great in the end, though. The Xbox One upscaler really isn't half bad at all based on what I saw tonight. I don't want to spoil too much about the game, so no more for me.

You need to read further in the thread. I assume you haven't since you quoted the first page.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm surprised at the negative responses to both versions as they look remarkably close to the PC version. The difference is far more subtle than I expected, actually.

mintylurb

Because look at the location of the top right menu item. Clearly showing the difference that xbox one was a native capture while ps4 was an upscaled capture. If they showed a true native capture on both the difference would be even bigger

So, X1 footage was captured from 720P source while the P4 version was captured from 1080P? Why would DF do that.

All that I can say is that the Xbox One must have one hell of a custom upscaler.

Other than those telephone wires, it looked great.

PS4 footage...strangely a letdown. After reading the PS4 pumping and Xbone hating on gaf for weeks, I was expecting 1080p on PS4 with smooth 60fps. Instead, the screenshots often look worse even at a higher res (which is something the article points out). Why in the hell does the artwork seem to be more detailed on Xbone? (People have tried to answer this in this thread, but really, no one has satisfactorily answer it. If DICE can use some special artwork/texture technique on Xbone, then why wouldn't they also use it on PS4?)

Inside

ib0gOrDzD8ScKG.gif

From this comparison the PS4 version looks much better. There are clouds in the background, the tower in the background is smooth and straight on PS4. Overall it looks like XboxOne needs a lot of AA everywhere!

And the difference in colors should come down to what TV you have and the profile you choose when gaming

Krilekk

Banned
The PS4 version will look better...much better on a properly calibrated TV.

Remains to be seen. My livingroom TV is only HD Ready, 1366x768. PS4 will be downscaled, if the scaler is as bad as it seems the quality will take a hit. X1 will just output native 720p. On my gaming TV it could be different, 1080p. But the real story for me here is not that X1 can stand its ground but that both consoles are destroyed by a medium - high level PC. 8 more years of the same shit? Gonna get X1 for exclusives and play PC for the rest.

The Battlefield reveal video gave me the first glimpse of next gen graphics. Now Ryse destroys BF4. A lot has to do with only having to develop for one platform vs. all of them but BF4 next gen could've used another six months.

sTaTIx

Jaggies on XBone, blurry on PS4. The point being it is not the huge gap I think many of us were expecting and I don't think it should be necessary to adjust my TV's settings to make it match the XBone version which is what people here seem to be implying.

I don't WANT to adjust the settings to match the Xbone version.

Artificial sharpening (which is absent on both the PS4 and PC versions, btw) may look pleasing and eye-catching at first-glance, but it's a complete eyesore for extended periods of playtime. It also accentuates the HELL out of the jaggies of the already super-jaggy 720p Xbone.

Try turning your TV setting to 75-100% sharpness, and play a game or two on your 360. It's fucking hideous.

Korezo

Xbone version is calibrated wrong, if you prefer crushed blacks and retarded artifacts and high contrast people are saying you can adjust the ps4 version to be just as retarded.

So the PS4 version is "only" 900p AND the Xbox version has less jaggies?

That's funny.

Wut? PS4 has higher res (50% more pixels), a better framerate, better anti-aliasing, and more and better graphical effects. It is the definitive version console-wise. Every one of the authors here agrees in their respective articles about that point. If you actually watch video of the 2 versions, you can see what they are talking about.

Loakum

Banned

Metfanant

Didn't Jack Frags say that Xbox SP looked worse than PS4 MP, because that isn't the case here.

im still standing by the idea that something is off in the captures...ALL of them...

because if you actually READ all of the articles just about every single reviewer says the PS4 is the clearer, sharper, crisper image...yet in these captures we see evidence to the contrary...

seems for some reason what is being seen by the people actually playing the game isnt quite translating to what we are seeing in these videos...

This is kind of a win for Xbox in that you show the footage to any 'normal' person and they're just not going to care. I just played 15 minutes of the campaign on PC on a GTX 460 and a Core i7 930 on medium settings at 1080p and that native resolution really makes all the difference. It looks much better than PS4 and XBO to me.

Do we know when we'll get a Ghosts comparison yet? If that's really 1080p vs 720p... eep.

For now, sticking with my old 50" 720p 3LCD Sony from 2005, Xbox One will make its home there, and PS4 will hang out on a nice small 1080p Dell IPS in my office.

Top Bottom