• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

So I want to get a new graphics card to run this game, it's the only thing that seems to not hit "recommended" level for this game. I'm not great with computers gaming wise, I would love some help. I played Diablo 2 to death, and I would love to be there to play this.

Here are my specs:
CPU: AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics
CPU Speed: 1.4 GHz
RAM: 6 GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6520G (I think I need an upgrade?)
I have 324 GB of free space.

If there is anything I need to run this game fairly well please help. Would be much appreciated.

I'm a little late to your reply, but this is the same laptop I have, and it's actually a bit of a beast, easy to overclock and gets lots of extra power. Handles BF3 and pretty much all new games. I'm currently enjoying Arkham City on it.

D3 beta had some performance issues, but it was perfectly fine, and with retail optimization, it'll run great.

EDIT: Here's a link for a mountain of information on it and everything you need to know about getting the most of out that rig. Information overload

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Can someone enlighten me about Yoshi Chan. Is he special? I mean he's a cool guy i like him but why does Diablo-GAF care so much about this gaffer?

kyubajin

Can someone enlighten me about Yoshi Chan. Is he special? I mean he's a cool guy i like him but why does Diablo-GAF care so much about this gaffer?
He's had his fair share of inner struggles while waiting for anticipated games in the past. Namely, he almost lost a finger while waiting for Dark Souls.

profit

Because most likely, he'll be responsible for his own death in a couple of weeks, afer no sleeping/eating. I think he went pretty far with his Dark Souls sessions, but I didnt really follow that thread, someone else can tell you a lot more probably.

Let's just say, Yoshi is a really special sort of special.

Also, he breaks stuff, quite often.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I'm a little late to your reply, but this is the same laptop I have, and it's actually a bit of a beast, easy to overclock and gets lots of extra power. Handles BF3 and pretty much all new games. I'm currently enjoying Arkham City on it.

D3 beta had some performance issues, but it was perfectly fine, and with retail optimization, it'll run great.

Thought the D3 beta didn't run as tightly as the retail or finished version is supposed too.

injurai

Banned
I imagine him printing our screen shots of the beta to trying and tape together a paper version of dungeons to run. Oh yoshi...

zlatko

Banned

You know that extremely over used gif of the guy standing up from his desk with his arms out as it fades to black then it says "NeoGAF" ?

That's Yoshi in a nutshell.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Does the retail game with an activation code I can simply punch in and not fiddle with discs? Truly hate the archaic medium but it's going to be tons cheaper...

V_Arnold

I am so, so torn right now.

I do not know if I start a Wizard, a Witch Doctor or a Monk.
My plan was to go with the Monk, but my girlfriend will make a Barbarian, and Monk/Barbarian might not be as elegant or a safe solution as a caster+melee.

Also, we would not have loot conflicts if one is ranged/caster, other is melee.

But to further increase the problems, I have grown to love the voice of the female Wizard. So energetic. I do not know...

Maybe what I will do is level 2 characters simultaneously until they are both at the end of normal or inferno. Then decide based on that experience what to continue with. But I want to get to hell/inf as soon as possible within week 1.

Xdrive05

Anyone know of any retail copies on sale for launch day?

I won't be able to play till afternoon anyway. Already dled too. Hoping I can put a retail code in to activate on Bnet then just launch it from my already dled client.

Edit: I ask b/c Witcher 2 was on sale for like $40 at Frys on launch day. So apparently it can happen.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh you guys ♥ No need to worry about me, I am perfectly fine! My body... IS READY!
Every time I see you wake up I can tell your just a bit more sleep deprived as the last day. Can't wait to see on launch.
Its taking long since you last posted, are you okay?
Also, just chill a bit, remember what happened last time... Umbasa
I AM OKAY.
SPEAK TO ME YOSHI! ARE YOU OK IN THERE?!?!
I'm punching things in my sleep... Of course I'm okay! Wouldn't you be?!
Most of us love him though <3
I have more haters though, but they're usually secret about it :3 Example, some GAFer on Twitter:
lTvrN.png

My plan was to go with the Monk, but my girlfriend will make a Barbarian, and Monk/Barbarian might not be as elegant or a safe solution as a caster+melee.

But to further increase the problems, I have grown to love the voice of the female Wizard. So energetic. I do not know...

Maybe what I will do is level 2 characters simultaneously until they are both at the end of normal or inferno. Then decide based on that experience what to continue with. But I want to get to hell/inf as soon as possible within week 1.

Wizard now, Monk later? I mean, level one until you get past normal, nightmare, hell, whatever benchmark you wanna set for yourself, then go back and do it again with the other. Personally my plan is I'm going through as a barb with a buddy of mine the second the servers come on, then later in the day when some of my other friends hop in I'll make a new character.

So there is no single play in this game right? "Always Online" and whatnot. I am fine with that as I never once played Diablo2 single player in my many years of playing. I do however make a private game to play in alone.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So there is no single play in this game right? "Always Online" and whatnot. I am fine with that as I never once played Diablo2 single player in my many years of playing. I do however make a private game to play in alone.
Correct! You'll still be able to create games like you did in D2! &#9829;

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The way Yoshi was talking made it seem like the game was coming out tomorrow. Looks like I still have a week to pre-load it.

V_Arnold

Wizard now, Monk later? I mean, level one until you get past normal, nightmare, hell, whatever benchmark you wanna set for yourself, then go back and do it again with the other. Personally my plan is I'm going through as a barb with a buddy of mine the second the servers come on, then later in the day when some of my other friends hop in I'll make a new character.

Yeah, seems like a valid approach. I think it will boil down to me, in front of the computer, having drinks and gazing the skill names for several minutes, than maybe throwing a dice. Let my higher self decide it for me :p

LowParry

Yeah, seems like a valid approach. I think it will boil down to me, in front of the computer, having drinks and gazing the skill names for several minutes, than maybe throwing a dice. Let my higher self decide it for me :p

Doesn't Blizzard or that slow time ability sell you on the Wizard? And beams. Beams! Meteors! Mirror Images! Pew pew!

ToD_

If the retail version still has that asset steaming/stuttering bug from the beta, I'll lose my mind.

I eliminated this problem by reformatting and putting the game on a SSD. I'm not sure if it was the reformat or that the SSD speed simply makes the stutters virtually non-existent.

And yes, I agree that something like that should not be necessary. It seems like a bug that many people were affected by. People with very fast computers. Thankfully it was on the list of known issues with the beta so I'm sure it will be taken care of. Fingers crossed the retail version no longer has this issue.

Raide

The way Yoshi was talking made it seem like the game was coming out tomorrow. Looks like I still have a week to pre-load it.

Most of us have been like this Since LoD came out. :D

Yoshi gets hyped up and that hypes other people up. Roll on D3!

scy

Basically the same situation as me and a friend who were planning to duo through the game. He went Wizard so I decided to do Monk to pair with that. When he's unavailable, I'll just level my DH. Or Wizard. Or WD.

...damn it, still need to decide on my solo class.

krpiper

So I just pre-ordered the digital copy. How will that work exactly? Is there a key to put in that will be emailed to me, or is it since its tied to my b.net account I just log in and go.

Also how large is this day 1 patch if anyone knows

Raide

Basically the same situation as me and a friend who were planning to duo through the game. He went Wizard so I decided to do Monk to pair with that. When he's unavailable, I'll just level my DH. Or Wizard. Or WD.

...damn it, still need to decide on my solo class.

I like the idea of having a main and a co-op only character, since it ill be fun to level at the same pace at the rest of the team. Monk will be my main, since I want to see how well it scales once I get to Nightmare and above. I do intend to co-op with all of the characters at some point but I never really enjoy playing Barbarian...was pretty cool in Beta though.

TxdoHawk

Tom's Hardware takes a look at Diablo III performance benchmarks

For those of you considering building/upgrading a system for this game.

A big hole in these results I would've loved to see filled would've been a couple of low-end laptops with varying integrated/discrete graphics. I know a husband/wife that both want to play, the husband is set with a beefy desktop system but his wife has a newer but fairly rinky-dink $400 laptop. I guess we are just going to have to install the client, log someone else in and see how it runs before we buy her a copy.

As far as these results being "worthless"...I've seen a lot of talk thrown around about how the retail client performance is "massively" better, but I have a hard time believing the beta client is too far behind retail on the hardware performance front. We'll see, I guess.

So I just pre-ordered the digital copy. How will that work exactly? Is there a key to put in that will be emailed to me, or is it since its tied to my b.net account I just log in and go.

Also how large is this day 1 patch if anyone knows

The latter, you install the client (you can download the initial installer if you haven't already, go log into battle.net and grab that) and then simply log in with the account you bought the game with.

As far as how large the day 1 patch is...I have seen nothing on this but hopefully not huge, given the installer available now is 7 gigs as-is. Launch is going to be a wild ride, no doubt.

I'll definitely have multiple characters at the same time, I think everyone will. The best method from my experience is to have one main you play by yourself and then another main you play only with friends (so you can stay the same level as your friend(s) on one character but still be able to play by yourself or with randoms on a different character)... with various alts as you experiment or get bored with one class.

I'm thinking some combination of WD/DH/WZ but I'm not sure which one I plan to focus the most time on yet or which one to create first.

A big hole in these results I would've loved to see filled would've been a couple of low-end laptops with varying integrated/discrete graphics. I know a husband/wife that both want to play, the husband is set with a beefy desktop system but his wife has a newer but fairly rinky-dink $400 laptop. I guess we are just going to have to install the client, log someone else in and see how it runs before we buy her a copy.

As far as these results being "worthless"...I've seen a lot of talk thrown around about how the retail client performance is "massively" better, but I have a hard time believing the beta client is too far behind retail on the hardware performance front. We'll see, I guess.

yeah a buddy of mine is running a pretty old PC and I'm hoping he'll be able to run it on low, the cpu should be good enough to handle it, but I'm suspicious about how it'll work with his gfx card...it's not an onboard graphics card, but it's old...and that's about all I remember. Might be like a radeon 9600. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom