• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so, so torn right now.

I do not know if I start a Wizard, a Witch Doctor or a Monk.
My plan was to go with the Monk, but my girlfriend will make a Barbarian, and Monk/Barbarian might not be as elegant or a safe solution as a caster+melee.

Also, we would not have loot conflicts if one is ranged/caster, other is melee.

But to further increase the problems, I have grown to love the voice of the female Wizard. So energetic. I do not know...

Maybe what I will do is level 2 characters simultaneously until they are both at the end of normal or inferno. Then decide based on that experience what to continue with. But I want to get to hell/inf as soon as possible within week 1.

Choice of either lady barb or wizard for me, absolutely hated the other classes. I'm sure Witch doctor would get alot more interesting at later levels though.

chiablo

JHnMo.png

When does this kick over to the next day?

V_Arnold

Doesn't Blizzard or that slow time ability sell you on the Wizard? And beams. Beams! Meteors! Mirror Images! Pew pew!

Well, beams are a horrible, horrible, unimaginative way of doing damage. It just reminds me of Torchlight. Everything else is great, though.

But on the other hand, the Witch Doctor's spells are full of joyful new approaches, unlike others.

The best would be WD with Wizard's look and voice. Hehe.

And not to mention I am ignoring the obvious here, as in I always wanted to play the monk, it is my favorite class, I am pursuing a monkish lifestyle (only ish cause I do not dare call myself that, lol, not in a million years), and it is brand new. Last time Blizz made a brand new stuff, it was the Death Knight, and that became my new main tank for years to come. Maybe I am afraid of change, lol.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well, beams are a horrible, horrible, unimaginative way of doing damage. It just reminds me of Torchlight. Everything else is great, though.
God, I love you V~ I hate beams :_:

Does this game use servers like MMOs or is it like StarCraft II?

i.e. when I setup the game do I have to make sure I pick the same 'realm' (or even US EAST/WEST) as my friends choose?

Raide

Does this game use servers like MMOs or is it like StarCraft II?

i.e. when I setup the game do I have to make sure I pick the same 'realm' (or even US EAST/WEST) as my friends choose?

Ok, you main "Realm" is dictated by the region you live in. You can do cross realm stuff but you have to make a new character, none of your items come across and the RMAH won't cross over. Kinda like making a new account for each region, even though you don't need to buy another D3.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
New Jay Wilson interview on several topics - PVP, VoIP, RMAH,...

link
Thanks for the link :3 Watching while taking a bath... godlike.

edit: God, I love how Jay always "whispers" in interviews... it's like he's telling us secrets. I fucking love Jay.

zlatko

Banned
Ok, you main "Realm" is dictated by the region you live in. You can do cross realm stuff but you have to make a new character, none of your items come across and the RMAH won't cross over. Kinda like making a new account for each region, even though you don't need to buy another D3.

I have to say this is a dumb decision on their part to me as a player. I wish I could just make my 1 Monk and play him with USA Gaf and yoshi of EU GAF.

Luckily Yoshi is a no life so he can reroll and probably pass my level within 1 day after me playing for a week.

<3 you Yoshi.

Yoshichan

I have to say this is a dumb decision on their part to me as a player. I wish I could just make my 1 Monk and play him with USA Gaf and yoshi of EU GAF.

Luckily Yoshi is a no life so he can reroll and probably pass my level within 1 day after me playing for a week.

<3 you Yoshi.
&#9829; I'm actually going to play on NA servers sometime, because I've promised a lot of people that I will play with them!
Taking a bath with diablo 3 interviews.
The only way to do it :D!

FinKL

At first, I thought this app pretty much intercepted the data you see, but I was curious why an official diablo site would host it. It's a dream app, but I can't say Blizzard would want this running as this will give us mathematical numbers to find the ideal area to grind and thus, turning into another "Baal Run xx" game making scenario. Then again, there are so many variables and in an ideal world, it might end up that each area will have "equal" quantity in drops but different quality.

So I would guess every couple of seconds or every time you press alt, the items appear on screen, the app takes a screenshot, looks for item texts and logs them, and assigns types based on color. Is that right?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The beta runs fine on a air 11"(late 2010) core 2 duo

I think it's being overstated on how good a HW you need to have. One of my friends has a shit laptop and can barely run it. We see him warping places since his game is that slow. Maybe about a 3-4 year old laptop to give some a gauge. A decent 2 core with a 4870 and up GPU should handle this at low settings and be playable (I think).

LowParry

I'm a fan of the Wizard beam though. Probably because I never played Torchlight so I can't make the comparison. Wizard Day 1!

Btw, ATI 12.3 drivers we're okay with, right?

rybrad

The wait is becoming extremely distracting now. After playing the beta a few months ago I felt somewhat sated but this week is going to be insanely long. Can't wait to finally make a Monk that doesn't get wiped every patch!

Filth

Hey guys I'm having pc issue. Something that may affect my diablo expirience! I didn't want to ask by making a new thread but if someone is tech savvy could they throw me a pm. The problem is my monitor randomly goes fully black in specific situations. <3

Hey guys I'm having pc issue. Something that may affect my diablo expirience! I didn't want to ask by making a new thread but if someone is tech savvy could they throw me a pm. The problem is my monitor randomly goes fully black in specific situations. <3

You might want to ask the question in this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455869

It has the highest concentration of posters that could potentially help you.

chiablo

If you are using DisplayPort, it could possibly be your cable. I had this problem when I got my new monitor, the mini-DP to DP adapter I was using was crap and kept causing my monitor to lose sync.

scy

The closer we get to the release, the closer I am to losing my grip on reality. Not sure if I can endure the wait any longer.

The days at work seem to progressively get longer as May 15th approaches. I imagine work on that actual day will be torturous :(

Freki

Official Launch day preparation blog post is up: link

Early Install

We will be unlocking the game's installer at 8:01 a.m. PDT on May 14. This will allow you to begin installing the game, troubleshoot any issues you run into, download and install the launch day 1.0.1 patch, and be ready to play as soon as the servers come online.

Global Play Launch Time

We&#8217;ll be turning on Global Play when the game has launched in all regions. This means that you will not be able to play in a region outside your home region until after the Americas&#8217; midnight launch at 12:01 a.m. PDT on May 15. We&#8217;ll provide an update once Global Play is enabled, and you&#8217;ll then be able to change the region you connect to through the game&#8217;s options. Please note that characters, items, and friends lists do not transfer across regions and players who use Global Play to connect outside of their home region will only be able to access the gold-based auction house. More information can be found in our Global Play introduction article.

zlatko

Banned
I see that in Europe certain places for midnight launch will have crazy ways to win shit.

Is the USA doing that too? If so, what locations?

chris-013

At first, I thought this app pretty much intercepted the data you see, but I was curious why an official diablo site would host it. It's a dream app, but I can't say Blizzard would want this running as this will give us mathematical numbers to find the ideal area to grind and thus, turning into another "Baal Run xx" game making scenario. Then again, there are so many variables and in an ideal world, it might end up that each area will have "equal" quantity in drops but different quality.

So I would guess every couple of seconds or every time you press alt, the items appear on screen, the app takes a screenshot, looks for item texts and logs them, and assigns types based on color. Is that right?

I think they use a specific image algorithm to capture text. The program also logs zone titles.
I'm reading the wizard's short story and it's very good. ^^

Where is the OT so I can cry with the rest of you about the wait :). I have no idea what to start as so I think I may go barbarian on some demons.

Yoshichan

Yoshi , eight days man. Only eight days left!
Exactly 7 days and 5 hours lefttttttttt~

Been reading up!

Diablo 3 Prep

What you will need:
•1 gallon jug of water
•Apple/Orange or a 100% juice beverage of your choice
•Pre cooked, portioned or ready to eat foods.
•Healthy snacks, granola bars, fruit etc
•Caffeinated beverages

1. Stay Hydrated

Dehydration is the number one cause of making your body feel sluggish, without proper hydration all functions in your body decrease making you feel tired. Keeping a 1 gallon jug of water next to your gaming station will give you easy access to make sure you are running at 100%.

2. Eat Smart

Your body constantly churns energy to keep itself going, eating a small portion of food every 3-4 hours and snacking between that time will keep you motivated and alert. I like to pre-cook stir fries or other light snacks before I head into a epic gaming session for easy access. Lean protein such as chicken or sandwich meats are a solid way to keep your body fueled.

Get up and move

While it's hard to peel yourself away from a game that you have been anticipating for over a decade, standing up and doing a few jumping jacks and stretching your legs for 2 minutes every few hours will greatly improve your energy and longevity while gaming.

Sugar/Caffeine

We all love energy drinks, mt dew, coffee and other things that provide us energy while we game. Moderation is key here. Slamming a 12 pack of dew in 6 hours will get you riled up to kill some demons, but 12 hours later you will be crashing.

As a general rule, I would drink 1 cup of coffee every 2-3 hours to stay awake. Caffeine is a beautiful thing, but if you get too much it will make you crash fast and hard. Using fruit juice to supplement your sugar levels is a great way to boost your energy as well as stay hydrated.

Summary

We all want to get the most out of our play time upon release. Ordering a pizza and grabbing a case of mt dew will be a great way to start the marathon. But after your first gaming session you will go to sleep feeling like crap, sleep longer and be less energetic when you wake up.

Plan ahead, do it up right from the first night on and you will be gaming hard all week.

Freki

tiiiiiiiight!

I didn't dare hope for this, but huzzah for early installs!

Yepp - I'm also pretty pumped by this - dling the day1 patch could have been a painfull affair 1201...

But this also means datamining will start at 8:00am - so I would advise to stay away from most forums...

The early install option should be available for those of us getting the retail version right? I just need to register the key to my Battle.net account when I get it right?

The early install option should be available for those of us getting the retail version right? I just need to register the key to my Battle.net account when I get it right?

I mean if you get the retail version before the 15th, then yeah. Like if you're on the east coast, you should be able to hit a midnight release, go home, install, patch, and then when the servers come on at 3 be good to go.

red731

I would like to know that too, but if I'm right, there were some links flying around for us with retail to download and then just input the cdkey, I presume..

To poster above - I guess he meant that if you buy physical copy, you can just...blah blah, the text I wrote above :D

scy

Diablo 3 Prep

Pre cooked, portioned or ready to eat foods.

Not gonna lie, my Diablo 3 launch week food is all going to be stuff I can toss in the crock pot in the morning and have ready when work ends. No cooking time!

...put that way, it really sounds awful. Hey, it's still healthy food I'm cooking, damn it!

Freki

You can dl the client right now! The key will be only necessary to "mark" your battle.net account as D3 eligible so you can login ingame.

Riggs

Banned
Yoshi awesome prep guide. Seriously will be considering some of these tips as I usually slam sodas and red bulls to fast. Really wish I could go into like hypnosis for the next week, them just wake upvl and have diablo 3 ready to play. At this point release is to close to consider cryostasis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom