• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Open Beta starting this weekend

Fugu

Sorry - but i really have 0 idea what you are talking about. Why do you need to learn on a regular basis if you have all informations?
Because information doesn't translate into having the mechanical ability to do something.

-Special Mobs gain new affixes per difficulty
-Number of affixes grows (n 1, nm 2, hell 3 and inferno 4)
-All mobs get more aggressive
-Size of packs grows
-more hp and damage (but that's to be expected of course)

So i would say this qualifies as "fundamentally more challenging on higher difficulties"
Points one, three and four are all applicable to Diablo 2. Define "more aggressive".

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Demon Hunter is a tank, and by that I mean avoidance tank, and by that I mean nothing can touch me, and by that I mean I'm awesome at the game.

Witch Doctor completely blows however.

Doctor's skills are terrific! Upgraed spiders on a jar are hilariously useful as they actually jump from one victing to the next if the target dies, the bats are great for straight damage and the aoe snare / dot gives you total field control. The doggies are a little underwhelming on the damage department tho =/

Doctor's skills are terrific! Upgraed spiders on a jar are hilariously useful as they actually jump from one victing to the next if the target dies, the bats are great for straight damage and the aoe snare / dot gives you total field control. The doggies are a little underwhelming on the damage department tho =/

I don't feel like spiders were stronger that the splinter Poison Dart.

All I used was poison dart and bats. I didn't even use the runed Bats because it became useless if I did. They really don't have enough early spells to interact with the summons.

Fugu

If you play hc you have to be more careful for when you approach higher difficulties as well as farm longer so that your margin of error becomes high enough. There is a point in the game when you outgear everything to a point that you will not die if you are careful (like not fighting several elite packs at once). But this point could require months of "save" farming in lower difficulties. After all difficulty in a game like D3 will always contain some kind of gear check.
But everything you post is framed by the fact that you haven't played it. Also, having to farm more to progress to the next difficulty doesn't make the game more difficult, it just makes it slower for hardcore players.

Freki

Because information doesn't translate into having the mechanical ability to do something.

Ah I see - With 6 skills I think it will take time to get off perfect combos. Just like getting perfect centered frozen orbs on bosses in D2 for example.

Points one, three and four are all applicable to Diablo 2. Define "more aggressive".

-faster
-chase you for a longer time
-attack more often
-aggro earlier

you can hear Jay Wilson on this topic at the 40minute mark here

But everything you post is framed by the fact that you haven't played it. Also, having to farm more to progress to the next difficulty doesn't make the game more difficult, it just makes it slower for hardcore players.

I think the difference between the both of us is that for you difficulty is only skill based - for me theres also the aspect of something being difficult because I'm underfarmed.

You probably can make up for some gear by being skilled - avoiding mob attacks by reading tells for example (the "bulls" in the area after the beta give you some hint that you should move out of the way for example). But there will always be a gear check - you won't survive nm naked - period - that's one of the points of a lootwhore game like diablo.

Fugu

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

That stuff certainly has the potential to make the game more difficult than it is on normal (a statement that I do not doubt is true) but it still doesn't speak to the difficulty of the game itself. I cannot over-emphasize how much I only responded to that poster because I thought he had actually played the game on a harder difficulty.

You're right about the lootwhore stuff though, and that's always going to be a more important component in a game like Diablo than the actual executional difficulty involved in playing the game. But I'm not worried about that.

EDIT: Some of these points are silly. 70% of the items don't show up past normal? Well duh.

Also, it's funny to me that Jay Wilson doesn't know what an Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac is.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't feel like spiders were stronger that the splinter Poison Dart.

All I used was poison dart and bats. I didn't even use the runed Bats because it became useless if I did. They really don't have enough early spells to interact with the summons.

Could be, could be.

To be honest, I enjoy crafty playstyles like the d2 necro. So yeah, I was bound to enjoy the witch doctor.

Pachinko

logging in to find the open beta closes was the saddest thing.

:(

Oh well, this beta did it's job though, blizzard ironed out some issues and I per-ordered their game.

Gattsu25

Banned
I installed the beta mid Saturday, after originally not being interested. I figured, why the hell not?

I log in, servers are down.

I try again 1/2 hr later, servers are down.

I lose interest, again, and don't try to log in for the rest of Sat or all of Sun...I guess I should uninstall this waste of space?

edit: Hot damn! I love quick uninstallers. That took less than a second!

Kalnos

Banned
I'm playing hardcore as well, but mostly because it's what I love and I'm *very* happy Blizzard segregated their economy/AH from the normal one.

Artadius

I installed the beta mid Saturday, after originally not being interested. I figured, why the hell not?

I log in, servers are down.

I try again 1/2 hr later, servers are down.

I lose interest, again, and don't try to log in for the rest of Sat or all of Sun...I guess I should uninstall this waste of space?

edit: Hot damn! I love quick uninstallers. That took less than a second!

speaking of waste of space!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
At end-game, you get a stacking MF buff for not swapping out skills or runes or exiting the game, so you will most likely want to stick to a single build per play session.

Wow, really? That's kind of lame - there's really no encouragement to switch out your skills if you're going to lose a buff at end game.

EDIT: Ok, apparently only kicks in at Level 60. I can deal with that.

http://www.gamezone.com/products/di...details-diablo-3-end-game-nephalem-valor-buff

Half the fun is switching out skills, so I'm glad that the game won't penalize you for this (at least initially).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, really? That's kind of lame - there's really no encouragement to switch out your skills if you're going to lose a buff at end game.
Then they've succeeded.

Kalnos

Banned
Yoshi, are you gonna play hardcore? I want to see some keyboards through monitors before i'm satisfied with the difficulty!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yoshi, are you gonna play hardcore? I want to see some keyboards through monitors before i'm satisfied with the difficulty!
Obviously ♥ 98 jav, 97 hammer (dead), 92 frost (dead), all on hardcore in D2. Will be going for hardcore as soon as my "main" gets to 60 and starts getting geared.

Yoshichan

I think my highest was an 82 or so Necro... he died to the Ancients. One of them explodes. : (
Ffffffuck man. That sucks.

neoism

so guys how do difficulties work... is the real money thing only on normal... and hardcore and above, when you die you character is deleted?

Kalnos

Banned
so guys how do difficulties work... is the real money thing only on normal... and hardcore and above, when you die you character is deleted?

On any character there are four difficulties: Normal, Nightmare, Hell, Inferno. Think of them as a newgame+. When you beat normal you advance to Nightmare where the game becomes magnitudes more difficult.

In addition to these difficulties you can also select hardcore mode, where yes, your character becomes an unplayable ghost upon death (basically deleted). There is no real money AH for hardcore characters (only in-game currency) and hardcore and normal characters can not trade or play with one another.

No. This is how it works.

"regular"- your character can come back to life as normal. RMAH exists.
"hardcore"- your character has only one life, once you die, it's dead forever. No RMAH.

No matter which type of character you make, regular or hardcore, you progress through the game doing normal difficulty first, then nightmare, then hell, and inferno is the end-game.

I like the idea of rares being better than uniques/sets, if you get the correct permutations for the item. I never went hardcore in diablo 2, but no RMAH? hell yea, I'm definitely thinkin about it.

neoism

On any character there are four difficulties: Normal, Nightmare, Hell, Inferno. Think of them as a newgame+. When you beat normal you advance to Nightmare where the game becomes magnitudes more difficult.

In addition to these difficulties you can also select hardcore mode, where yes, your character becomes an unplayable ghost upon death (basically deleted). There is no real money AH for hardcore characters (only in-game currency) and hardcore and normal characters can not trade or play with one another.

I figured about hardcore not being able to play with Normal. I don't know how some of you guys do it. If one of my character died I would go insane thinking of all that time wasted. Glad you can use your character from easier difficulties though No Hardcore for me.

neoism

No. This is how it works.

"regular"- your character can come back to life as normal. RMAH exists.
"hardcore"- your character has only one life, once you die, it's dead forever. No RMAH.

No matter which type of character you make, regular or hardcore, you progress through the game doing normal difficulty first, then nightmare, then hell, and inferno is the end-game.
jesus no wonder you guys played D2 for so long. I played it a few years ago. don't thing I got past Act 1 though. I guess the BOSS equipment is on Inferno hum.

jesus no wonder you guys played D2 for so long. I played it a few years ago. don't thing I got past Act 1 though. I guess the BOSS equipment is on Inferno hum.

Act 1 normal difficulty? You barely scratched the surface of the game, dude. Think of the tip of an iceburg; act 1 normal is pretty much the foreskin of the tip of that iceberg. ;)

Yep I was devastated to be rejected this morning and told I don't have a licence to play the beta :( I don't want to go back to my extensive backlog!
I got all the achievements over the beta weekend so there's not much more I want to do with the beta, played every character to max. I just want the game to come out already so I can play more of it.

elfinke

I got all the achievements over the beta weekend so there's not much more I want to do with the beta, played every character to max. I just want the game to come out already so I can play more of it.

I had 1 each of the characters each levelled to 13 as well, no idea about achievements though - fuck them lol.

I just needed my fix, man *gets shakes*.

Eh, I really wish I was still in the beta. There was some more stuff I never got around to doing, especially the lvl 10+ Witch Doctor stuff. Still got a couple dota 2 keys to trade for diablo 3 keys, but I guess I should probably just accept defeat this close to the finish line.

Eh, I really wish I was still in the beta. There was some more stuff I never got around to doing, especially the lvl 10+ Witch Doctor stuff. Still got a couple dota 2 keys to trade for diablo 3 keys, but I guess I should probably just accept defeat this close to the finish line.

The D3 beta does not have keys, it just shows up in your account when you get it. Someone would have to give you access to a B.net account, which is both against their TOS and risky for a player to do.

The weekend was enough for me; game was too darn easy to keep playing over and over. Don't know how some of you in the closed beta did it.

In other news, thousandth post :D

Synless

I'm sure it has been asked a few times, but the game won't load for me. It says that I don't have a license to play. Any thoughts on how play the beta correctly?

TheYanger

Bah, now I want my fix.

Torchlight or TQ to tide me over the next few weeks? (I haven't played either).

Torchlight is significantly shorter, though closer to D2. Titanquest isn't as replayable imo, but it's longer and it's satisfying for sure the first time.

I'm sure it has been asked a few times, but the game won't load for me. It says that I don't have a license to play. Any thoughts on how play the beta correctly?

It's over, unless you're actually IN closed beta, the open one is done.

Twelve years have done nothing to diminish my memories of summer '00. Diablo 2 didn't disappoint the slightest bit. It's the fondest gaming related memory I have.

/good-old-days fist bump

Why is the skill system being designed for morons? I can't get over the default set up and elective mode. Why does that even exist?

75rsm.gif

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So how many people gave HC a real shot? I felt it was the only way to really play the game. Otherwise it was just too damn easy.

I don't think what we were allowed to play really gives the player enough of a challenge to really worry about a HC character. With that said I think I'll attempt a HC secondary character in the retail. The thought of making a HC character my primary and losing them after 80 or so hours of gameplay is scary.

Fugu

I don't think what we were allowed to play really gives the player enough of a challenge to really worry about a HC character. With that said I think I'll attempt a HC secondary character in the retail. The thought of making a HC character my primary and losing them after 80 or so hours of gameplay is scary.
All of the excitement from hardcore stems from the fact that you can lose all of your stuff at any time. If that doesn't do anything for you, then don't bother.

I can't really imagine playing softcore Diablo anymore, personally. It's just not as exciting.

elfinke

Bah, now I want my fix.

Torchlight or TQ to tide me over the next few weeks? (I haven't played either).

Same! Having recently completed Torchlight I can vouch for it, however I doubt that I could go back and play it ow after that brief taste of D3.

I see TQ is only $15 for gold edition on steam (not sure of gog/gamers gate etc), but I'm thinking of going that way.

Or finally finishing Sacred 2.

Damn, I need my fix!

Top Bottom