• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III fans angry at PS4 announcement

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Blizzard just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Canada where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Diablo III for either system, nor will they purchase any of Blizzards games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Blizzard has alienated an entire market with this move.

Blizzard, publicly apologize and cancel Diablo III for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

[golf clap]

wildfire

Banned

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Canada where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Diablo III for either system, nor will they purchase any of Blizzards games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Blizzard has alienated an entire market with this move.

Blizzard, publicly apologize and cancel Diablo III for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

*applauds*

Berordn

I wonder if this means that Blizzard were allowed to get Battle.net running on PS3/4.

Maybe anyone they suckered into buying the game will have access to the PS3/4 clients for free?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
When Metzen was talking about which IP would make sense on console, I had this irrational hope that he was gonna flip it and say "...and we came to the conclusion that console players deserved more than a port, so here's a new game made built from the ground up for consoles!"

They could have at least used this as an excuse to bring back Lost Vikings.

Yeah because given the years D3 has been in development I'm SURE there was collusion about getting this game on PS4 since before the PS3 was in development.

PS4 fans angry at Diablo III announcement.

That's the impression I got. It's the port no one needed or wanted a year late.

This post gets more miles to the gallon than a Chevy Volt, I love it

Otheradam

Does it really matter? Diablo 3 was... not good and most people have moved on to other games. They would have to make a completely new game (Diablo 4) from the ground up for me to care at this point. Not even an expansion would get me excited about that game ever again. The fundamentals in the game are just too broken to be fixed without remaking basically everything.

I like how that post in the OP makes zero sense given there are perfectly intelligent reasons the game has none of those, save for the "make your own named game" thing.

None of what is "wrong" (and there is actually quite little that is lacking right now in the game, it's been much improved since release) has anything to do with some future console port. Only in someone's insanely cynical and shortsighted mind (i.e., The Internet) would that be a reasonable conclusion.

Why are they pissed about PS4 users sharing in the disappointment?

You misunderstand the points brought up, they are saying they made the initial game with the intent to make it pc/consoles, so they simplified all aspects of the game so it would work on consoles. For example how are you supposed to use 8 skills and 4 potion slots on the run on a console.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
The reason for passive skills? Perks like Call of Duty uses. Everyone unlocks perks and uses their favorite ones.

Got a good laugh out of that.

Because Diablo 2 totally didn't have passive skills or anything...

Berordn

LOL this is Blizzard not Valve.

Not really sure what you're getting at here. Every license tied to a battle.net account already has access to all the clients for that game, not just a specific version. If there's cross-platform play, why wouldn't that also apply here?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So I guess nobody remembers Diablo 1 being on PSone? Not exactly without precedent here.

My favorite complaint:

PC gamers are just beta testing for the console release so it wont be full of bugs. That's how ActiBlizz intends to make the real money.

PC gets game first - Beta test. PC gets game simultaneously - Gimped port rushed to meet deadline. PC gets game last - Conspiracy to torture PC gamers and force console version sales.

Torchlight was pretty successfully ported to the 360 and I think it had runes and skill points and such. This seems like misdirected anger.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I am reminded of a post that TylerD made as a response to me, way back during beta last year...

Date: 02-21-2012, Diablo III Beta thread

Could somebody please tell me what the heck is going on in Blizzard's UI department? The new skill UI is atrocious. Making me scroll all over the place to set my skills is ridiculous.

May I ask why the best and simplest UI isn't already in the game? You know, the one from Blizzard's own web-based skill calculator?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian

Under my proposed skill change system
, since runes are permanently attached to your character, you will not have to deal with rune swapping, and setting skills in-game will be exactly like setting skills in the skill calculator.

Even better, under my system, it is possible for you to use the same skill twice, but with different runes. This would give players even more choices to customize their character.

Also, bring back "drag and drop" Why in the world did you take that out?

You dont mean scrolling, you mean pressing L1/L2 R1/R2 or LB/RB

:/

Seriously, the web skill calculator is so good.

Zzoram

I can't deny that lots of those points do make sense. Though to be upset about the port is silly. To be upset about it being built limiting the PC version is okay.

Yep. I don't care that the game is going to be on consoles. I care that the PC version was made for consoles instead of PC.

It's quite clear that they built the game with console limitations in mind and that it was responsible for most of the frustrating design decisions in the PC version.

The idea of people who frequent the Blizzard forums looking down on 'console players' as simplistic rubes suggest an absence of self-awareness that I would normally attribute to... I don't know, squirrels or something.

Diablo 3 is dumbed down because Blizzard is was obsessed with whatever they think their high bar of quality is that they spent years too long polishing away any kind of texture at all from the game, be it good or bad, and produced a turd so smooth and shiny you could see your reflection in it. And then it sold 10 million + copies, so good luck convincing them they were wrong!

Actually, 4 player local co-op is the closest thing to fun I could imagine having with that game at this point, it's a nice idea.

Zzoram

Diablo III wasn't compromised for consoles. It was dumbed down for the WoW crowd not the console crowd.

The WoW crowd can handle many active spells and more than 4 spells hotkeyed at once. They can also handle more than 4 players in a game at a time.

The 4 hotkeyed spells and 4 players limitation is VERY CLEARLY console design. There is just no reasonable explanation for a PC game to have those limitations, ESPECIALLY when Diablo 2 had 8 spell hotkeys and 8 players a game.

Berordn

Do you think the game sold 10 million copies because it appealed to Diablo fans?

WoW does not limit how many skills you can have on your bars. It also does not limit the number of bars you have.

It sold 10 million copies because it appealed to Diablo hype.

The 4 hotkeyed spells and 4 players limitation is VERY CLEARLY console design. There is just no reasonable explanation for a PC game to have those limitations, ESPECIALLY when Diablo 2 had 8 spell hotkeys and 8 players a game.
That was my read too, but then again why is there still no controller support for the PC version?

damaph

LoL.

Clearly none of those whiners grew up playing Diablo or Diablo II, both of which were for 1-4 players, and never were released for consoles.

I'm guessing you didn't either since Diablo was released on PS and Diablo 2 had 8 player games.

I really don't buy limited skill hotkeys as a problem with Diablo 3's design, whether it was born of console ambitions or not. There were certainly times when I wished I had more skills available, but having to make meaningful choices of that kind when 'building' my character is exactly the sort of thing that Diablo 3 didn't have nearly enough of.

Edit: no excuse for Blizzard not to patch controller support into the PC version now, eh?

KarmaCow

Four hotkeys maybe, there are ways with toggles to get past that but what does 4 players have to do with anything? Take Mario Kart. The game has more than four player multiplayer despite only offering four players in local play.

"I don't want anyone else to be able to play my game!"

The sense of entitlement sometimes is fascinating.

Uhh, maybe (probably) there are people who wanted it to say exclusive but the sentiment seems to be that the PS3/4 announcement is acknowledgement the game was compromised for consoles, not directly that it shouldn't be on consoles. I wouldn't call that entitlement.

Oersted

brilliant

Proxy

WoW does not limit how many skills you can have on your bars. It also does not limit the number of bars you have.

It sold 10 million copies because it appealed to Diablo hype.

I think it sold to Blizzard fans not Diablo fans. If it were a actual Diablo game I doubt it would of done 10+ million. I also think the game was dumbed down to appeal to a larger demographic not explicitly to appeal to console players. Which would explain why it had such a vastly different art style and mood from it's predecessors.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The WoW crowd can handle many active spells and more than 4 spells hotkeyed at once. They can also handle more than 4 players in a game at a time.

Sacred 2 had 12 hotkey spells on the console :p

tauroxd

I won't stop loving this kind of posts so keep them coming in the future, GAF :)

Zzoram

Four hotkeys maybe, there are ways with toggles to get past that but what does 4 players have to do with anything? Take Mario Kart. The game has more than four player multiplayer despite only offering four players in local play.

Uhh, maybe (probably) there are people who wanted it to say exclusive but the sentiment seems to be that the PS3/4 announcement is acknowledgement the game was compromised for consoles, not directly that it shouldn't be on consoles. I wouldn't call that entitlement.

Well, Diablo 2 had 8 player games and Diablo 3 has 4 player games (to accomodate consoles). I have more than 3 friends that I play PC games with so the 4 player limit sucks.

Maybe if this announcement came a year or two ago, that'd be a reasonable reaction. If consoles were a major reason behind the design of the game, it would have been on consoles day & date with PC. It's just paranoia at this point. I mean, did StarCraft retroactively become "compromised" after it released on the N64?

G-Unit

to be honest, metzen can go fuck himself. I was excited to play mi first diablo ever... after finishing the game once... and looking forward to the next difficulty... I realized this game was either overhyped or they messed up what diablo was known for. I never found the reward in this type of game that I was led to believe there was.

And I quit wow for the third time... but this time I didn't even cared to finish end game bosses. Yep blizzard is out of touch with me.

KarmaCow

Well, Diablo 2 had 8 player games and Diablo 3 has 4 player games (to accomodate consoles). I have more than 3 friends that I play PC games with so the 4 player limit sucks.

Sorry, I meant that limit to 4 players was dumb, but I don't see how consoles could be to blame. Is the PS3/4 version not offering online play because how often does the amount of local players match the number of players in a online game?

It just seems like a reach to tie all of Diablo 3's failings to a console port announced far later. Considering how half-baked the game was at launch, there is more than enough justification to lay the blame at Blizzard not knowing how to make Diablo.

Maybe if this announcement came a year or two ago, that'd be a reasonable reaction. If consoles were a major reason behind the design of the game, it would have been on consoles day & date with PC. It's just paranoia at this point. I mean, did StarCraft retroactively become "compromised" after it released on the N64?

This is really just semantics but I just think entitlement is wrong word. It's just some people are annoyed that Blizzard screwed up Diablo 3 and are now seeing the console port as an easy reason for it. Like you said no one cared about the N64 port of SC1, at least I think no one did.

Top Bottom