• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV Pre-Launch Thread of lore, news and beta withdrawl

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yes, Nvidia is very greedy when it comes to VRAM, i don't really get it.

It’s a technological problem, I don’t understand the why but essentially as nodes get smaller making wider buses to be able to communicate with big ram pools gets harder.

It’s one of the reasons amd went into the multi die gpu design, you can have a chiplet on a larger node to handle the memory bus.

amigastar

It’s a technological problem, I don’t understand the why but essentially as nodes get smaller making wider buses to be able to communicate with big ram pools gets harder.

It’s one of the reasons amd went into the multi die gpu design, you can have a chiplet on a larger node to handle the memory bus.
Hmm, sounds like a lazy excuse (not from you but Nvidia)
I mean the 4090 has 24 gb and works just fine.

Hot5pur

I plan on playing this on a 10 GB card. I run most PC games near ultra on it at 4k (with DLSS on top it's a breeze). Please don't buy into the BS that 8GB is not enough, it's only really a problem at 4K and even then you can toggle DLSS to solve most of it for a lot of games.

I plan on playing this on a 10 GB card. I run most PC games near ultra on it at 4k (with DLSS on top it's a breeze). Please don't buy into the BS that 8GB is not enough, it's only really a problem at 4K and even then you can toggle DLSS to solve most of it for a lot of games.
Watch video above, it's not only a 4k issue.

DavidGzz

I hope the full game is optimized because I don't see how this is having issues running on high-end systems whenever it looks amazing and plays butter smooth on a Xbox series X.

Hot5pur

Watch video above, it's not only a 4k issue.

Watched it now. I understand the point better.
It seems a lot of it came down to either using high GB texture packs or having raytracing enabled, which is a huge memory hog.
I fully accept the point that 8GB may not longer be enough to run all the games cranked to max setting with raytracing, even below 4k.
However, raytracing in most games is a trivial improvement. I have experienced this myself with my 3080 10GB. Raytracing just kills FPS and I've often had the card run out of memory with it turned on. Usually it is fixed by turning on DLSS or dialing back the raytracing setting.
It also seems like some modern ports are getting lazy by assuming availability of close to 16GB of VRAM (as the unified memory in consoles is around there).
If I had an 8 GB GPU gaming at 1440P, would I rush out and buy a 16GB GPU because I'm worried I won't be able to play games at very high fidelity? No.
If I was thinking of upgrading, would I prioritize VRAM over raytracing performance? Yes. Absolutely. Especially given the cost of GPUs and wanting to future proof.

Also it is completely idiotic and ironic that Nvidia's major selling point for gamers is raytracing (and as a 3080 10GB owner, I can tell you right now raytracing is meaningless in most titles) over AMD, and yet they gimped their cards with low VRAM which is necessary to make that aspect of the card shine.

So on the whole, for people worried about playing Diablo 4 (or other games coming this year or next), I wouldn't worry about having 8GB too much, but I certainly would not advise upgrading to yet another 8GB card. Those 6800+ cards seem like good value for an upgrade over the equivalent Nvidia stuff.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It doesn't work that way in PoE ( I don't give two :poop:'s about PVP personally) that's probably why they are curious.
I see! I was just about to ask if there are any other games that do it that way. Thanks for the info.

Personally, I can see why that would be appealing, but... I mean, don't play fucking "hardcore" mode if you don't want to die permanently lol.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I see! I was just about to ask if there are any other games that do it that way. Thanks for the info.

Personally, I can see why that would be appealing, but... I mean, don't play fucking "hardcore" mode if you don't want to die permanently lol.
I agree it would be best to keep PVE hardcore its own separate thing from PVP. I'm sure you can just choose to do that yourself, but it's kind of lame to force people to avoid PVP if they don't want to lose their hardcore PVE character.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I agree it would be best to keep PVE hardcore its own separate thing from PVP. I'm sure you can just choose to do that yourself, but it's kind of lame to force people to avoid PVP if they don't want to lose their hardcore PVE character.
No one's forced to PvP though. It's an optional gameplay aspect that you have to opt into. The rewards are purely cosmetic.

PvE hardcore mode players can just not enter the PvP areas.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
No one's forced to PvP though. It's an optional gameplay aspect that you have to opt into. The rewards are purely cosmetic.

PvE hardcore mode players can just not enter the PvP areas.
Right, you're not forced to do it, you're forced to avoid it. It's still force. They could just not allow PVP to count towards player death of PVE hardcore characters. Instead, you'll be forced to avoid it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Right, you're not forced to do it, you're forced to avoid it. It's still force.
That logic can be applied to anything that any given player does or does not want to do. In this case, there's a very specific reason why this is the way it is.

They could just not allow PVP to count towards player death of PVE hardcore characters. Instead, you'll be forced to avoid it.
They could, but that's not what "hardcore" mode is about. If you don't want permadeath, don't play hardcore mode. If you don't want PvP in hardcore mode, just don't go to the PvP areas. There's a specific game design element that "hardcore" mode caters to. If you don't like it, it's not for you, and you're not forced to play it. If a Call of Duty player only plays campaign and doesn't want to play multiplayer, is he being "forced" to avoid multiplayer PvP?

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
There's a specific game design element that "hardcore" mode caters to.
Right, and it's generally not people who play PVP. Still, it would be nice to have PVP as an option with those characters. I agree with how Path of Exile does it and not Diablo 4. But I don't even play POE, so that's a moot point. I also don't play hardcore modes. But I do understand it's good to have options in games, and being actively discouraged from playing PVP because you want a hardcore PVE experience isn't the right way to handle the situation, IMO.

If I played hardcore PVE, it would be because I wanted an added challenge, because I felt I knew the game well enough to complete that challenge. But I wouldn't want the unpredictable nature of PVP getting in the way of that. Maybe allowing hardcore PVE players to opt in to a separate hardcore PVP experience would be the way to go, but it seems a bit much to just outright block them from playing PVP unless they want to lose their character.

Either way, it's just a disagreement. I'm not saying I'm objectively correct. I'm just saying I disagree.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Right, and it's generally not people who play PVP. Still, it would be nice to have PVP as an option with those characters.
It's nice to have options, but these options conflict with the game design and are somewhat mutually exclusive.

being actively discouraged from playing PVP because you want a hardcore PVE experience isn't the right way to handle the situation, IMO.
You're not actively discouraged from playing PvP. You're actively discouraged from dying. If you don't want to die permanently, don't play hardcore mode.

TylerD

Kind of amazing timing by Blizzard for server slam weekend. I'm already off the whole next week plus the following Monday for a music festival trip that I leave for on the 17th. Glad I get to try out my GPU upgrade on the game I got the upgrade for several weeks before it's release as well!

Last edited:
Concerning VRAM usage in D4 with a special texture pack at 5120x1440 resolution (it's about 90% of 4K in total pixels rendered) using a 16GB GPU (RX 6800):

• "High" textures = stuttering in open world, especially when transitioning between areas; VRAM usage = 13 - 15GB in dungeons, 16GB+ in open world (this was causing stuttering for me).
• "Medium" textures = everything is fine, no stuttering basically anywhere; VRAM usage = 10 - 12GB in dungeons, 14 - 15GB in open world.

The things is, "High" textures don't really improve anything in terms of the actual gameplay visuals. "High" is really noticeable in Wardrobe and Main Menu: character clothing, textures like leather and all those intricacies. You absolutely don't need those during the actual gameplay. Even if you zoom in, fancy materials aren't truly visible unless you open the Wardrobe - but they're still there in game, always eating up your VRAM.

Comparison screenshots (big PNGs, 6mb each):
1. Normal view: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52774426419_3ab4e38879_o.png - try to guess which one shows "High" textures
2. Zoom-in: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52773634197_2719825fd1_o.png

DavidGzz

^ That makes sense, no wonder I couldn't see a difference between PC and XSX in actual gameplay, it looks identical from the normal view. I also think the wardrobe graphics were amazing even on console. I hope the new beta is more optimized, I'd like to use high textures with my brand new 4070ti without having to worry.

Hot5pur

PS5/XSX consoles should be on high textures given the download size. As for the difference, the comparison posted above I can't see any, but it may be just that particular scene. I remember changing to high made a difference, sadly I can't find any comparisons online, might take some screencaps during the next beta.

Speaking of the next beta, will definitely give it another go. Wife was on a work trip so couldn't play together during the last ones. Don't really care about the cosmetics, things are kinda small during gameplay I hardly notice them. I especially don't notice what other players are wearing. We'll see how this whole cosmetics milking works for Blizzard. It makes sense in something like a fighting game but in an isometric dungeon crawler it's something you don't really pay attention to.

DavidGzz

PS5/XSX consoles should be on high textures given the download size. As for the difference, the comparison posted above I can't see any, but it may be just that particular scene. I remember changing to high made a difference, sadly I can't find any comparisons online, might take some screencaps during the next beta.

Speaking of the next beta, will definitely give it another go. Wife was on a work trip so couldn't play together during the last ones. Don't really care about the cosmetics, things are kinda small during gameplay I hardly notice them. I especially don't notice what other players are wearing. We'll see how this whole cosmetics milking works for Blizzard. It makes sense in something like a fighting game but in an isometric dungeon crawler it's something you don't really pay attention to.

Oh yeah, the download was bigger on X than on Series S. Blizzard did an awesome job with the console versions. It looked so good on my OLED.

Reference cosmetics Idk, that's one of the worst things about PoE. Your character looks so bad unless you spend real money. I'm happy that at least that isn't the case with Diablo. The armors look amazing and I can see myself supporting Blizzard and buying some cosmetics. I'm not too excited about the Ashava trophy though, tbh. Too bad it isn't a full on mount cosmetic.

Oh yeah, the download was bigger on X than on Series S. Blizzard did an awesome job with the console versions. It looked so good on my OLED.

Reference cosmetics Idk, that's one of the worst things about PoE. Your character looks so bad unless you spend real money. I'm happy that at least that isn't the case with Diablo. The armors look amazing and I can see myself supporting Blizzard and buying some cosmetics. I'm not too excited about the Ashava trophy though, tbh. Too bad it isn't a full on mount cosmetic.
I might get the battlepass for cosmetics. Anyhow I'll get the upgrade for early access and it comes with it, I only have the base game

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The Diablo communities that reside on Reddit and the official Blizzard forums are very different beasts. I posted the same thread in both places and the nature of the responses were very different. Blizzard forum-goers seem very jaded lol.

The thread was about Diablo 3 and changes I would make to the game. Since I really liked the D4 beta, I went back to D3 after 10 years of not playing it. I was disappointed in the launch game. The game as it is now, though, while flawed, is pretty entertaining.

The Diablo communities that reside on Reddit and the official Blizzard forums are very different beasts. I posted the same thread in both places and the nature of the responses were very different. Blizzard forum-goers seem very jaded lol.

The thread was about Diablo 3 and changes I would make to the game. Since I really liked the D4 beta, I went back to D3 after 10 years of not playing it. I was disappointed in the launch game. The game as it is now, though, while flawed, is pretty entertaining.
It changed a lot since it came out yeah, it's not as bad as it was. We are clouded by the state of the game at launch

I also went back to d3 in the last week playing as a necromancer and it's a decent game now

Hot5pur

Not much new news at this point, feels like we've seen enough already.
I really like that you get to unlock skill points account wide which helps with alts and you can then play seasons via the adventure mode rather than having to do the story over and over.
I am hoping the story is good. Lore and immersion is also a reason I like these types of games, not much of a farmer/grinder. It's nice to work towards something, so hopefully there are some special bosses and actual fresh content locked to higher world tiers. Otherwise if it's running the same stuff with different numbers ..going to get old fast.

Boneless

Maybe I am an old man, but I find it slightly annoying that the game is not out yet and a lot of conversations are about how seasons will work. The fuck, let me play through and enjoy the game at a normal pace first before you make my character irrelevant.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Maybe I am an old man, but I find it slightly annoying that the game is not out yet and a lot of conversations are about how seasons will work. The fuck, let me play through and enjoy the game first and a normal pace before you make my character irrelevant.
Until recently, I had never played a season before and didn't really know what it was, but after playing Diablo 3 season 28 last week, I think the concept is pretty cool.

Codeblew

Maybe I am an old man, but I find it slightly annoying that the game is not out yet and a lot of conversations are about how seasons will work. The fuck, let me play through and enjoy the game at a normal pace first before you make my character irrelevant.
How does seasons doesn't make your character irrelevant. Nothing stopping you from playing it.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I haven’t been keeping in the loop with D4.
How is this game shaping up?
I may buy if it ends up being better than D3.

Top Bottom