• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diamond Joe lives?! Hillary considering Biden as Sec. of State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Joe Biden is at the top of the internal short list Hillary Clinton’s transition team is preparing for her pick to be secretary of state, a source familiar with the planning tells POLITICO.

This would be the first major Cabinet candidate to go public for a campaign that’s insisted its focus remains on winning the election, and perhaps the most central choice for a potential president who was a secretary of state herself.

Neither Clinton nor her aides have yet told Biden. According to the source, they’re strategizing about how to make the approach to the vice president, who almost ran against her in the Democratic primaries but has since been campaigning for her at a breakneck pace all over the country in these final months.

"He'd be great, and they are spending a lot of time figuring out the best way to try to persuade him to do it if she wins,” said the source familiar with the transition planning.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/clinton-eyes-biden-for-secretary-of-state-230428

If having another four years of Onion Joe Biden around can't convince y'all to vote Hillary...

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Oh yes please. Send that beautiful bastard around the world on the ultimate shoulder grab tour imaginable.

Linkura

This is a great pick. Still salty that he didn't run for the presidency. He's gonna charm the pants off the world now.

HvySky

tumblr_niovhiOHSo1qf2w01o4_400.jpg

YES

Hilary Clinton: Hey Joe, if you ran for President in the next election, you might be able to usurp me. You're very popular, but I know you don't want to be President, so I'd like to offer you the position of Secretary of State. I think it's a good position that fits what you want to do in politics. What do you think?

Joe Biden (hanging upside down from the roof of the White House, doing weighted sit-ups while reading last month's SUNSET Magazine): yea sure

smurfx

get some go again
don't think they would have to really work hard to persuade him as he was thinking of running for president. would be great for him to stick around too.

I bet Biden and Bill would get into some wacky adventures.

But whatever he decides to do next, go for it. If he wants to take up a position on Hillarys team then go for it. On the other side if he wants to retire or go off to do charity work I cant think of someone who has earned their political retirement more.

As much as I would adore more Diamond Joe, I think keeping Kerry on would be better. Dude has been enormously effective, and there's going to be enough plates spinning during the transition that it'd be the safer option to keep him on.

Biden and Bill is gonna have so much fun in the white house. I imagine slumber parties and doing office chair racing down the corridors.

Oozer3993

I can see the Onion headlines now:

Diamond Joe Grabs Paul McCartney Concert Bootleg From Store In Akihabara for President Clinton

Joe Biden Holding Up Peace Talks Over Case of Pabst

International Agreement Reached After Totally Bitching Night At Ukrainian Night Club

Biden to President: "We're Now At War with Andorra, But I Can't Tell You Why"

Report: 40% Of All Calls From Biden to White House begin "Promise You Won't Get Mad"

Blader

As much as I would adore more Diamond Joe, I think keeping Kerry on would be better. Dude has been enormously effective, and there's going to be enough plates spinning during the transition that it'd be the safer option to keep him on.

This is kind of how I feel about it too. But I wonder if part of the reason they're considering Biden (or anyone else) is because Kerry is signaling he doesn't plan to stay on past this year?

This is kind of how I feel about it too. But I wonder if part of the reason they're considering Biden (or anyone else) is because Kerry is signaling he doesn't plan to stay on past this year?

Probably. Clinton probably wants to make her own mark by assigning someone not associated with the Obama admin.

I love Biden and I wish the guy had run, but I've never really considered him a powerhouse of foreign policy or negotiation. But maybe all the world needs is for Biden and Putin to sit down with a bottle of vodka and talk/rassle things out.

Neither Clinton nor her aides have yet told Biden. According to the source, they’re strategizing about how to make the approach to the vice president, who almost ran against her in the Democratic primaries but has since been campaigning for her at a breakneck pace all over the country in these final months.

Sounds like they decided to do it by leaking to the media to me.

Diamond Joe Grabs Paul McCartney Concert Bootleg From Store In Akihabara for President Clinton

International Agreement Reached After Totally Bitching Night At Ukrainian Night Club

Report: 40% Of All Calls From Biden to White House begin "Promise You Won't Get Mad"

These are good dude haha. The last two are really good.

Blader

Probably. Clinton probably wants to make her own mark by assigning someone not associated with the Obama admin.

I love Biden and I wish the guy had run, but I've never really considered him a powerhouse of foreign policy or negotiation. But maybe all the world needs is for Biden and Putin to sit down with a bottle of vodka and talk/rassle things out.

Then this is an especially strange choice! :lol

Lmao these are so good

I think Kerry's relationship with Lavrov is integral to ending or at least diminishing the scale of horror in the ongoing Syrian/Iraqi Crisis. I imagine they may have their differences but still

Opto

Banned
I think Biden is done with direct public service. In his interview with Colbert about why he wasn't running for president, he said he couldn't keep doing it all. I respect the man, but he's been through a lot and if he wants a break, he's well earned it.

Angling for that Huelen vote.

Kerry staying on would be ideal but in recent history at SOSes don't stay on for longer than one term.

Joe there.

Obama as Supreme Court justice.

Dooooooo it
Obama would be terrible as a SCOTUS justice. Not that he wouldn't be up for the job, but that would disarm Democrats of their most powerful campaign tool for a generation to be stuck in a position that's ostensibly nonpartisan. Also he'd likely have to recuse himself from anything relating to the past 8 years of executive actions or legislation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom