• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diamond Joe lives?! Hillary considering Biden as Sec. of State

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Considering this was the job he wanted in 2008, before Obama offered him VP, he might actually take it. This would be crazy hype if she offered and he accepted.

TDLink

I think Biden is done with direct public service. In his interview with Colbert about why he wasn't running for president, he said he couldn't keep doing it all. I respect the man, but he's been through a lot and if he wants a break, he's well earned it.

You could be right, but that was also a year ago and right after he lost is son. A lot has happened since then, we don't really know his current state of mind in that regard.

I personally am inclined to believe that Biden probably wants to step out of the public eye now, but I wouldn't really be surprised (or mad) if he decided to stay on and do something like this.

Probably. Clinton probably wants to make her own mark by assigning someone not associated with the Obama admin.

I love Biden and I wish the guy had run, but I've never really considered him a powerhouse of foreign policy or negotiation. But maybe all the world needs is for Biden and Putin to sit down with a bottle of vodka and talk/rassle things out.
iirc Biden's foreign policy experience was the biggest reason Obama picked him to be VP, I think he was a key player during the Balkans intervention.

Wag

42_Merkel_Biden_01_9be72400c7.jpg

Already making the moves on Merkel.

Biden and Bill is gonna have so much fun in the white house. I imagine slumber parties and doing office chair racing down the corridors.

Madam President. The Secretary of State and the First Gentleman have retreated to the white house tree house and won't come down. Permission to send in the secret service. It's almost dinner time.

korona15

Banned
It's premature and strikes of complacency to be discussing possible cabinet officials. How about winning the damned election first?

I don't see it happening. Dude is old. Nobody wants to deal with DC stress for more than 8 years. Would make even less sense after he passed on the presidential run because of the same issues.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's premature and strikes of complacency to be discussing possible cabinet officials. How about winning the damned election first?

According to reports they've been planning the transition for a while now, at least in the background and on the side. Unless all the Dems stay home she'll win, besides Dems love Uncle Joe so this would only get everyone even more excited to go vote.

Every Presidential campaign starts working on transition before the election ends.

If the Trump campaign were competent they would probably be vetting potential Cabinet members as well.

This isn't unique to this election or to Hillary Clinton.

The fact of the matter is it would be very difficult to iron out every single detail (and Cabinet members are HUGE details) necessary to transition power and have everything ready to go on January 20th when you only started 2 months prior.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This wouldn't be a very good match given that the are noted as having strongly disagreed on national security discussions, where Biden typically aligned with Obama and Rice, but I think the country would benefit a lot with still having Joe Biden in public service.

(Ted Cruz announced a VP choice before he was the nominee; Trump announced his next several supreme court justices last month; both of these were public nominations, not internal conversations)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This wouldn't be a very good match given that the are noted as having strongly disagreed on national security discussions, where Biden typically aligned with Obama and Rice, but I think the country would benefit a lot with still having Joe Biden in public service.

Couldn't that disagreement in policy be a benefit though? Having someone on the other side of a discussion isn't exactly a bad thing, sometimes it helps you see moves you might not have seen otherwise.

Blader

Every cycle, both campaigns plan out White House transitions -- including cabinet choices -- weeks before Election Day. This is normal, and has to be done before the election in order to ensure that the literally hundreds of jobs in a president's administration are staffed and ready to go by January. If they waited until November 9th, they'd be way behind.

Stavridis for SecState plz

I'd assume he'd be on the list for SecDef, no?

She will probably keep Kerry which I support. I like Joe a lot but I'd rather have him involved with domestic affairs which I think is more his strength.

I can see the Onion headlines now:

Diamond Joe Grabs Paul McCartney Concert Bootleg From Store In Akihabara for President Clinton

Joe Biden Holding Up Peace Talks Over Case of Pabst

International Agreement Reached After Totally Bitching Night At Ukrainian Night Club

Biden to President: "We're Now At War with Andorra, But I Can't Tell You Why"

Report: 40% Of All Calls From Biden to White House begin "Promise You Won't Get Mad"

I needed this laugh.

watershed

Banned
I hope he wants the job. He'd be great. But he'd also feel very free to speak out publicly whenever he wanted and maybe a demotion instead of retirement isn't what Joe has in mind.

kess

They should just make him Vice President Emeritus and should anything happen to him, he should be installed as an auto-icon on the White House lawn in a Trans Am with a Natty Ice in his left hand.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Couldn't that disagreement in policy be a benefit though? Having someone on the other side of a discussion isn't exactly a bad thing, sometimes it helps you see moves you might not have seen otherwise.

There's merit in dissent, but you typically don't deliberately pick someone who disagrees with you to create balance in the room.

watershed

Banned
He'd be terrible at this job. Joe has no filter, which is not a good trait for someone that works in foreign affairs.

You know he has worked as a top democrat in foreign affairs his entire career right? Including chairing the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs and being Obama's point man on foreign policy?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Why not Kerry?

Embarrassed he ended up being a way better secretary of state than she was?

CazTGG

Joe there.

Obama as Supreme Court justice.

Dooooooo it

I've seen this suggested quite a bit over the course of this election. Assuming that Hillary wins with a Democratic Senate majority, what are the actual chances of this happening? I don't "will the Senate vote him in", moreso "what are the chances Hillary nominates Obama for the currently vacant/next vacant spot"? I'd love to see Obama as a Supreme Court justice but I wonder if Obama would be her first choice.

Hillary did once said that she would consider him, that's what sparked the whole thing lol

Source? I would surely remember reading about that short of it being an Onion article. "Hillary Nominates Republicans Worst Nightmares: Obama, A Gun-Banning Muslim & Jon Stewart To Fill Supreme Court Vacancies"

I've seen this suggested quite a bit over the course of this election. Assuming that Hillary wins with a Democratic Senate majority, what are the actual chances of this happening? I don't "will the Senate vote him in", moreso "what are the chances Hillary nominates Obama for the currently vacant/next vacant spot"? I'd love to see Obama as a Supreme Court justice but I wonder if Obama would be her first choice.

Hillary did once said that she would consider him, that's what sparked the whole thing lol

ElFly

Diamond Joe Grabs Paul McCartney Concert Bootleg From Store In Akihabara for President Clinton

International Agreement Reached After Totally Bitching Night At Ukrainian Night Club

Report: 40% Of All Calls From Biden to White House begin "Promise You Won't Get Mad"

hahhaaha jesus christ

Jumplion

Fuckin' lol'd hard at the last one, grade-A post.

Armaros

As much as I would adore more Diamond Joe, I think keeping Kerry on would be better. Dude has been enormously effective, and there's going to be enough plates spinning during the transition that it'd be the safer option to keep him on.

Secretary of States rarely last longer then 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom