• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Amazon receive a faulty batch of PS4 Consoles, or was it poor packaging?

amazon packaging when shipped internationally seems fine (to Japan)

5123213213.jpg

http://rocketnews24.com/2013/11/16/388324/

What the heck? When I tried to change the shipping adress to europe, I got a message that this item wont ship outside US

So how the heck did you get it?

BrianReturns

Neo Member
Have you tried the 9 second hold thing to reset video input?

Not sure what hold you are talking about, but if it involves the power button, I have tried all sorts of stuff. I can power the console on, then off by holding for 10 seconds or so. If I try and hold from an off state, I get one beep, and then 10 seconds later it turns off (ie can't get to safe mode). There is never any video on the TV. I have tried two TVs and two HDMI cables.

Tomnevers

Neo Member
...about the potential for these types of problems.

Microsoft was determined to avoid the RROD type problems that plagued earlier versions of the 360. Obviously the large size of the Xbox One reflects this cautious thinking.

At the time I spoke to them (around E3 during summer) they were questioning Sony's decision to use the much smaller form factor, saying in their opinion it was a risky move that would increase failure rates. In hindsight, this may have been a prescient comment.

Sony obviously was trumpeting their slim form factor and integrated power brick, and said risk of hardware failures was overblown.

I doubt it was Amazon packaging that contributed to the failures....keep in mind if you buy them from a physical retail store the PS4s are still shipped along the normal supply chain from China to the USA to the retail store, etc etc...

To my eye it just appears a certain number of PS4s are overheating -- potentially due to fan failure -- likely a small percentage of units.

Fox Mulder

If/when I get the chance to get the console, you can bet I'll get it in a store somewhere, open it to make sure its in good condition, then take it home. If it has any problems it goes back to the store. Simple. I won't buy big pricey items online. Games/DVD's small stuff like that is fine.

amazon has amazing customer service and sells quite alot of things, shit happens.

there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying pricey electronics online. I've worked retail backroom and shit gets abused all the time.

Most of those 1* reviews are for failure of receipt

Yep, and anyone can leave a review. You dont have to have purchased one there to rip the PS4. It can easily be equal parts console fanboys...

But some of the reviews are ftom pissed off people that didnt get their systen on launch snd nothing to do with hardware issues.

HariKari

I doubt it was Amazon packaging that contributed to the failures....keep in mind if you buy them from a physical retail store the PS4s are still shipped along the normal supply chain from China to the USA to the retail store, etc etc...

Being shipped by shrink-wrapped and protected pallet is considerably more gentle than your average delivery guy.

To my eye it just appears a certain number of PS4s are overheating -- potentially due to fan failure -- likely a small percentage of units.

No one has reported overheating, so take that FUD elsewhere.

Ovid

They aren't trained to do that.

If you look at this image:

You could only really fit the pre-inflated dunnage on one side. On the right side there's a small gap where you could pop the dunnage to make tighter fit.

Most packers are just going to put an inadequate amount on top and not bother making the sides a tight fit.
The shallowness of the box was the first thing that stuck out to me when I opened it.

You could easily fit at least one to two layer of that bubble wrap underneath the PS4 box. No excuse.

ITT: People who don't understand how selective response works.

I can't help but chuckle when I read people comparing the # of 1 star reviews vs 5 star reviews. Do you really think that the same % of users who got a bad unit vs users who got a good unit will be posting reviews?

Y'all need to take a step back and look at the situation objectively.

1) Gamers are one of the most demanding, most hostile consumer segments on the planet, bar none. What other demographic do you see in which consumers send death threats for arbitrary changes in software? Do you see users sending death threats to microsoft developers who change a feature in Microsoft Word?

2) Gamers are significantly more tech-savvy and "connected" than many other industries and demographics. In addition, the age demographic of gamers places the overwhelming majority of its segment into the "knows how to voice their anger on the internet" category.

3) Unhappy tech-savvy customers resort to online public voicing of their displeasure before any other action is taken. This is statistically proven (See: Risk and Crisis Management, Heizer & Render 2010).

4) The product came out 24 hours ago. Much of the customer segment is busy using their product rather than going back to Amazon to say how neat it is.

I could go on for hours....

Feorax

Whilst a lot of the concern will be as a result of what happened last gen, having units arrive DOA is very different to the RROD fiasco.

There is no way overheating can be the cause of units failing to work out of the box.

More likely this is a QA failure, which is unacceptable, but at least should easily rectified going forward (because a design flaw causing units to be DOA, like the RROD was over a time period, would not have made it out of initial testing).

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
0.4%? Really?

Edit: Looks like all of them so far

Between PS4 and Knack I'm honestly starting to think that Cerny sold Sony a lie, and that he's way out of his depth considering the pedestal they (and we) have put him on. Or they (and we) were stupid and desperate.

There weren't even this many RRoDs on launch day. I have a very bad feeling about this.

Please feel more ashamed about making posts like this.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The shallowness of the box was the first thing that stuck out to me when I opened it.

You could easily fit at least one to two layer of that bubble wrap underneath the PS4 box. No excuse.
True, but you can't on the sides with this box for the PS4 and they aren't trained to do it on the bottom.

They have an algorithm that decides which box will fit items best, and many electronics are in boxes where the height is close to the items height.

My issue for a year has been with the incompetence on the sides and top. But if you guys are saying electronics should have protection on all sides and not touch the cardboard, well, that's even more distressing.

HariKari

More likely this is a QA failure, which is unacceptable,

Even god tier suppliers have tolerances that would make your average consumer squeamish when it comes to manufacturing devices like the PS4, iPhones, or any other number of expensive yet relatively cheap to produce items. Microsoft had a DOA rate of 3-5% for the 360, not counting RROD, so anything under that would be a comfortable win for Sony.

stuff like ipads and ps4s get to retail by UPS and general merchandise trucks. They're almost never shrink wrapped on pallets.

Depends on the size of the order. Amazon had pallets.

kaiyo

I feel inclined to post because I received my PS4 from Amazon and got the blue light of death right after update, Sony customer service said they have had a lot of calls about it and leads me to believe wasn't some isolated or tiny issue.

Overall I'm upset but not furious or anything, unfortunately launch failure is becoming par for the course for most launches of gaming systems. Sony rep was nice overall, recommending extended warranty though was a bit much.

*edit*

The one thing I can say is that wobble thing, which seemed so dumb pre-receiving my console is indeed annoying as hell when trying to manually turn on or hold button for safe mode, like really annoying.

If the screen is black and the led is blinking blue it could be updating, wait a few mins. If its still like that hold down the power button to turn it off. Then hold it down for about 7 seconds then it will go into safe mode, do a update, or a full update using usb, get the updates on the PS website.

mine had black screen with blinking blue, it restarted it self and it was still like that.

I did a full update(880mb), option 7, Been working fine since.

Ovid

True, but you can't on the sides with this box for the PS4 and they aren't trained to do it on the bottom.

They have an algorithm that decides which box will fit items best, and many electronics are in boxes where the height is close to the items height.

My issue for a year has been with the incompetence on the sides and top. But if you guys are saying electronics should have protection on all sides and not touch the cardboard, well, that's even more distressing.
Electronics really should have protection on all sides. No one ever does it though.

Skilletor

My packaging was horrid, but I played it all day yesterday for about 12 hours straight with no issues.

My box was pretty banged up, though.

Go through the negative 1 star reviews. Those that are verified purchasers bought one from Amazon....Otherwise they are complaining about not getting a system or trolling. There are a lot of non verified reviews. If their purchase isnt verified its hard to believe. What did they do log in with a different account than they purchased with just to review it ? Makes no sense.....

poisonelf

Microsoft was determined to avoid the RROD type problems that plagued earlier versions of the 360. Obviously the large size of the Xbox One reflects this cautious thinking.

At the time I spoke to them (around E3 during summer) they were questioning Sony's decision to use the much smaller form factor, saying in their opinion it was a risky move that would increase failure rates. In hindsight, this may have been a prescient comment.

Sony obviously was trumpeting their slim form factor and integrated power brick, and said risk of hardware failures was overblown.

From what I've gathered by following the issue (weird fascination really, not a launch buyer), the choice (and ability?) to go smaller and no power brick, doesn't seem to have anything to do with the failing units.

It's not a standard issue of overheating or something, it seems to be faulty batches with various issues, such as the HDMI connector, the fans not working (which obviously leads to overheating but not because of the console design), etc.

It's probably more a case of rushing for all these pre-orders/ a choice for cheaper manufacturing process/ manufacturers hiding the issues, or something similar.

I could also be more wrong than a gaming press journalist talking about the insignificance or resolution in games.

Got mine from Amazon yesterday and it is working perfectly fine (so far) and I haven't gone and reviewed it. People experiencing problems are going to be much more vocal in their reviews.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
From what I've gathered by following the issue (weird fascination really, not a launch buyer), the choice (and ability?) to go smaller and no power brick, doesn't seem to have anything to do with the failing units.

It's not a standard issue of overheating or something, it seems to be faulty batches with various issues, such as the HDMI connector, the fans not working (which obviously leads to overheating but not because of the console design), etc.

It's probably more a case of rushing for all these pre-orders/ a choice for cheaper manufacturing process/ manufacturers hiding the issues, or something similar.

I could also be more wrong than a gaming press journalist talking about the insignificance or resolution in games.
I agree on that. I don't think the design is the issue, rather, some fault parts in the mix. If it were a design issue the failures would occur in a much gradual fashion (and that may still happen) but these are almost immediate.

merrick97

Banned
It appears famousmortimer was right. The small number of people having issues are making all the headlines.

While the ones that have working consoles are playing their consoles.

dorkimoe

I love the defense force in here. If this was the xbox one. This would be 200 pages of how shitty the console is and Microsoft blows.

Both are going to have some defective consoles. But let's not act like that's not a big number.

Frodo

Oh well... It does seem to be more than just 0.4% now. Looks more widespread than we initially thought on the IGN Faulty PS4 thread.

I've went through some of the reviews at Amazon and some of them are clearly trolls, but there are a few genuine ones as well. I'd expect that Sony forums represent a more reliable source for the problems than Amazon reviews are.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This really scares me.

I am really happy that I live in Europe and that we have two more figure all this out. Hopefully, Amazon Germany will be more carefully with the protection of the consoles...

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

No one has reported fan failure or overheating. This seems like FUD.

yeah, i'm sure if you check any big tech release, 50% of the reviews are from customers with defect units.

Yep just go look at some GPU reviews on Newegg or something.

You will get a ton of " mine was DOA, had to send back " statements in the reviews or comments.

hooligan

There is clearly a manufacturing issue. One cannot simply count the number of complaints on Amazon compared to a large guesstimate of people not complaining and derive a percentage. The only comparable methodology would be to compare the number of complaints from this launch to other console launches and extrapolate from there. And clearly there are an unusually high number of complaints for this launch.

SilentFlyer

As per this reddit thread, Sony stores are taking replacement for the faulty PS4, given you bought it from authorized seller.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1qr5ab/psa_if_you_have_any_problems_with_your_ps4_find_a/

I bought my console from amazon and experienced the HDMI no output issue. The clerks there told me they allow replacements as long as you purchased it from an authorized re-seller. They also have non-sellable ps4s for the sole purpose of replacements.

I got to the store, they tested it out. Then had to sign a little paper work and they replaced everything with a brand new console. They tested and updated firmware for me to make sure things are running okay.

brentech

Amazon's packaging.

No wonder all these consoles are DOA.

Not only did mine look like that, but the box amazon brown box was really smashed in. So much that my UPS guy asked me if there was anything valuable in it and if so, if I'd take a look to see if it looked fine. My PS4 box was slightly scuffed, but looked okay. Just ran with it.

Luckily, it worked out fine.

I would say Amazon had some really poor shipping decisions with that. If you use a box that big, you need to secure the item packed tightly with paper on at least the top and bottom. Not just the top with item sitting flat on bottom of box..

Borgia

Banned
Anyone could easily go on amazon and write a review. There's no telling how many of those negative reviews are trolls. I think people should relax and wait to see actual numbers come out before they start panicking about the amount of fualty systems.

Top Bottom