• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Amazon receive a faulty batch of PS4 Consoles, or was it poor packaging?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Mine came with those plastic pillows, thankfully underneath and on top but on one side half were blown up because the system was resting on them.

My ps4 box seems mint, I haven't opened or tested the system yet.

Packaging is way below proper standards.

Moozo

Add me to the list of Amazon orders that arrived DOA. Got the pulsing blue light when powered on. No video appears, and it isn't possible to enter safe mode. God this is a pain in the ass. Now to decide whether to return to Amazon or Sony... any thoughts?

Have you tried the 9 second hold thing to reset video input?

Amazon order came well packaged, but my ps4 box itself was a little ripped. Must have happened before shipping, though. Don't see how it could have happened I the box.

System works fine.

fade_

My box had no padding underneath. Not the first time Amazon shipped me electronics like that. Everything is working fine though.

gruenel

vmoPkLH.jpg

Amazon's packaging.

No wonder all these consoles are DOA.

Blackage

Sony rma is 3-4 weeks. So you'll get it back Dec if lucky. Amazon will do a replace....if they have stock at the time, but going forward they'll probably primarily do bundles. The launch editions that went on sale launch night were from declined credit cards.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My friend with a broken PS4 got his from Walmart. Mine and another friend's are from Amazon and they're working great.

I'm surprised at some of these pictures of Amazon's packaging. Mine had a ton of bubble around it and the box had a fragile warning on it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Could just be that the people without faulty consoles haven't felt the need to put up a review. It's only been a day

Yep. Mine works. Packaging was better than usual. Everything on the outside box was sealed 100%, and t here was bubble insulation all around the PS4 inside.

Amazon's packaging.

No wonder all these consoles are DOA.

That's disgusting. I should have preordered from somewhere else. This is the first big thing I've ordered from them. I've never had a problem with movies and books and such, so I figured this would be fine. :(

Derrick01

Banned
All I know is with the bullshit them and/or UPS are pulling on me if I receive a faulty console when I finally get mine I'm going to explode.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Please, I dont wanna get into an argument over a video that was meant as a joke. Surely with all these defective consoles coming from amazon, the problem has to be something at their end.

Has to be? What about Taco Bell? Do you want me to link you to the thread where people were thinking it was Taco Bell that had a bad batch?

It's pretty simple:

Start at the source and then work your way down the chain to delivery. The fact that it wasn't just Amazon that saw this at least once tells me to go right back to the source and completely eliminate that factor.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Why is it so hard to fucking adequately protect a fucking $400+ piece of electronic equipment?

I can't imagine the abusive fucking ride that the much heavier XBO package will take on the way to me.

Ouroboros

I got mine from Amazon and the disc drive was constantly trying to eject a disc that wasn't even in the drive...until I hit it and it stopped. It's been working since then. Amazon packed mine very well with a ton of air bubbles.

Mohonky

I dont understand people expecting shit to be bubble wrapped. You think they bubble wrap it when transporting to retailers from warehouses?

They will be put in the box, maybe put into a bigger box that just fits maybe a few consoles, put on a pallet and wrapped in shipping wrap. Then they stay that way till they reach a retail outlet or distributor. In that time they will be picked up and carted from one shipping container to another and onto diferent vehicles multiple times.

Will they have bubble wrap or any other protection during this time? No, just a standard cardboard box. Far more fragile objects like plasma screens are shipped the same way. Sharps TVs are tested to with stand a drop of 5ft in the standard box alone.

Whenever we would take deliveries of bluray players, tvs, receivers etc this is how they were delivered and that is how PS4s would have been shipped. Unless Amazon and the delivery companies they use are literally throwing these things around the warehouse, over fences to peoples doors etc I fail to see how anything to do with their packaging could have contributed to any potential problems.

Revoh

Just ship it back? I will do that if it's broken, it will probably be like 30 € or so for shipping but it's better to get some back rather than nothing.

It's around 80$. Let me explain why. I'm using a courier service which lets you send your stuff to a PO address in Miami. They take care of shipping it after to your country and then to your doorstep. As far as Amazon is concerned, they don't know my order was international.
So if it arrives DoA I have to send it back by paying the weight of the PS4 (that's how they charge you, it's 16$ by kg., so roughly 80 bucks for the whole box) and then I have to pay another 80$ to receive the new PS4.
I'm thinking of selling the PS4 with my 3 games the moment it arrives on Monday. But on other hand I want to take my chances =(

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Normally I wouldn't reply to something like this, but I feel the need to stand up for my employer a bit here... :)

Please keep in mind that it's November, which means as of right now somewhere around 1/2 of Amazon's warehouse employees are seasonal new-hires that are in their first or second week of working in Amazon. When I was at work the other day I heard calls on the radio of PS4 boxes being shipped out without dunnage, and the managers that found this were furious.

So please don't assume that this is the norm, unfortunately stuff like this will happen when you have people who are brand new packing up around 30,000 units in a matter of 24-36 hours to ship out. (And that was all from just one building!!)
It's less about being new and more about the working conditions. There always going to be new people every week every holiday season. Any idiot can pack a box. When they start pressuring you about rate of packages packed over quality and you only have 20 minutes lunches and 5 minute breaks because of walking distances and metal dectectors, people just don't care.

GodofWine

I dont think packaging had a lot to do with this, i think its the results of having humans assembling them in the farthest corners of the world 24/7 along with the rise of social media.

If social media was as strong in 2006, microsoft would be out of the console biz.

Also, i dropped my ps3 down a flight stairs and it worked for years to follow, casing fragments were all over the place, but it worked. These consoles are also made to survive an around the world trip...you think the ports in china are treating these boxes with white glove service??

Its a sheer volume thing...some eggs break.

with all that said I havent even seen how many people are complaining.

Dr_Swales

One problem that is present in warehouses when unloading stock is that if it is not done correctly and carefully. The cages/palettes that have the stock can roll down the ramps when being loaded/unloaded and crash into other stock with a lot of force, as they are so heavy.

Most large retailers (in the UK anyway) do not accept stock that has had an accident like this and will send the contents of the palette for recycling. This is definitely going to happen and instead of writing off the goods they are sending them through for sale regardless.

TheHater

my ps4 from amazon came with no package material on the button and very little on the top. I was surprised it worked to be honest. Amazon fucked up with the packaging and I already contact customer support. Amazon should be ashamed of themselves for the way they packed and shipped my PS4 in a box that was too big and very little shipping material.

Bikola

Has to be? What about Taco Bell? Do you want me to link you to the thread where people were thinking it was Taco Bell that had a bad batch?

It's pretty simple:

Start at the source and then work your way down the chain to delivery. The fact that it wasn't just Amazon that saw this at least once tells me to go right back to the source and completely eliminate that factor.

OK you win. It's not Amazon's fault, the video i posted should've not been linked, because it's about walmart and not amazon; My jokes are bad, i like your DP, you are right i am wrong.

Do note, i am actually serious though, no sarcasm intended.

REV 09

Holy shit at those user reviews. At first I thought it may just be fanboys faking negative reviews, but I read a few and they seem to have legitimately received bad units. Sucks for launch.

I dont understand people expecting shit to be bubble wrapped. You think they bubble wrap it when transporting to retailers from warehouses?

They will be put in the box, maybe put into a bigger box that just fits maybe a few consoles, put on a pallet and wrapped in shipping wrap. Then they stay that way till they reach a retail outlet or distributor. In that time they will be picked up and carted from one shipping container to another and onto diferent vehicles multiple times.

Will they have bubble wrap or any other protection during this time? No, just a standard cardboard box. Far more fragile objects like plasma screens are shipped the same way. Sharps TVs are tested to with stand a drop of 5ft in the standard box alone.

Whenever we would take deliveries of bluray players, tvs, receivers etc this is how they were delivered and that is how PS4s would have been shipped. Unless Amazon and the delivery companies they use are literally throwing these things around the warehouse, over fences to peoples doors etc I fail to see how anything to do with their packaging could have contributed to any potential problems.

This may well be true, but you are missing a key element.

Those pallets of boxes are wrapped very tightly together which makes for less movement of individual components.

Amazon takes the PS4, and drops it into a bigger box with a lot of dead space in it. If there is not a lot of bubble wrap in there, the console bounces around independently just as if someone was kicking it down the road.

It would have been better to pack it in a box made to fit just the console tightly, or just wrap the retail box in shipping paper and send it that way.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I gave it 4 stars. I am pissed at Sony for making me enter my Ps+ code and billing information on a damn console. I went to do it on the PC and it is locked to the fucking console. Some ignorant asshole thought he had to prevent people from selling these codes on ebay so he made me do this shit on my console. Fuck him and fuck any business that puts stupid shit concerns ahead of the convenience and experience of paying customers. Who in their right mind would not redeem these codes for use on their PS4? Maybe the people with multiple PS4s. Oh yeah you really need to make sure that people who bought more than one of your systems don't give a way a promotional code. Fuck you asshole Sony marketing douchebag. Fuck you!

Venting over.

Zukuu

Banned
Isn't the pulsating blue light an indicator for a bend pin? Didn't I read something about that? Kotaku's PS4 had the same issues afair. Seems to be easily fixable.

This is also why we need factories here in the US. Not only are these going through shipping from Amazon but they are also being built in China and elsewhere. So they get built there, shipped originally to the cargo ships, then go on cargo ship here to the US, then get transported from the docks to the amazon shipment warehouses, then they get packed there, then they get unpacked and put on the truck and shipped to UPS distribution centers, then packed there, then unpacked and put on the truck for UPS, then finally sent to your house.

That is a ton of moving around for electronic equipment just to get it to your doorstep.

Taker34

Banned
I gave it 4 stars. I am pissed at Sony for making me enter my Ps+ code and billing information on a damn console. I went to do it on the PC and it is locked to the fucking console. Some ignorant asshole thought he had to prevent people from selling these codes on ebay so he made me do this shit on my console. Fuck him and fuck any business that puts stupid shit concerns ahead of the convenience and experience of paying customers. Who in their right mind would not redeem these codes for use on their PS4? Maybe the people with multiple PS4s. Oh yeah you really need to make sure that people who bought more than one of your systems don't give a way a promotional code. Fuck you asshole Sony marketing douchebag. Fuck you!

Venting over.

There you go:
http://www.angermanagementcentre.ca/

Zukuu

Banned
I think the blue light signifies no video cable connected.
Yes.

After I got my unit, I brought it to the office, we hooked it up, and found that it wasn't working. It powered on, but it didn't emit any video or audio signal successfully to a TV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbJfqGbQYXQ#t=141
It turns out that the fix was an easy one.
Later in the day, I got a call from Sony. They'd examined our unit and they figured out the problem. A piece of metal in the system's HDMI port was supposed to have been flush with the bottom of the port but instead had been bent upward, obstructing some of the pins in the port. It had been hard to see, though I imagine we would have noticed if we'd examined the unit more closely and not given it back. Nevertheless, we were told that that PS4 had been fixed. The Sony employee testing our unit used a pin to push the small piece of metal back down.

Gartooth

I had my ps4 shipped to my house while Im away for my education. From what I heard back home though, what I received was literally the ps4 box put inside a larger box with no bubble wrap or other support. I'm hoping it'll be fine because I imagine that within the ps4 box there's probably good enough packaging to keep it safe, but I'm testing it out over Thanksgiving just to make sure. If it isn't then Amazon will be receiving a nasty call.

HariKari

This is also why we need factories here in the US. Not only are these going through shipping from Amazon but they are also being built in China and elsewhere.

I am so glad the only consideration when deciding where to place factories is "Do we want one here or not?" You should run for president.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yes, but is there any wrap beneath the PS4?
They aren't trained to do that.

If you look at this image:
You could only really fit the pre-inflated dunnage on one side. On the right side there's a small gap where you could pop the dunnage to make tighter fit.

Most packers are just going to put an inadequate amount on top and not bother making the sides a tight fit.

This is also why we need factories here in the US. Not only are these going through shipping from Amazon but they are also being built in China and elsewhere. So they get built there, shipped originally to the cargo ships, then go on cargo ship here to the US, then get transported from the docks to the amazon shipment warehouses, then they get packed there, then they get unpacked and put on the truck and shipped to UPS distribution centers, then packed there, then unpacked and put on the truck for UPS, then finally sent to your house.

That is a ton of moving around for electronic equipment just to get it to your doorstep.
This is why you have acceptable level of losses.

Whilst it may be inconvenient for a few to have to replace a DOA unit, it far outweighs the cost of setting up factories everywhere.

You say you need factories in the US, but then by the same token of your argument you then need a factory in the scores of countries that the console will be available in which just does not make sense.

And even then the components won't be made in those countries either, so what then, we need hard drive manufacturers having factories in hundreds of countries?

Good luck with affording any consumer electronic if that was the case...

Just did an internet scan, Amazon and Best Buy are the only places with comprehensive reviews at this point in time. For Best Buy, 1 person posted today about a DOA console, and a few had troubles but have managed to get past those. Target has no reviews, Walmart very few, Gamestop full of fanboys/girls, etc.

Glip_Glop

I must have been one of the lucky ones. My Amazon box was packed to the brim with those air pillows, top and bottom. Sucks that there are so many issues :(

Techies

So far PS4 have been shot, and been destroyed by a baseball bat. Now lets see who destroys their console via roadtrip...

Midas

It's around 80$. Let me explain why. I'm using a courier service which lets you send your stuff to a PO address in Miami. They take care of shipping it after to your country and then to your doorstep. As far as Amazon is concerned, they don't know my order was international.
So if it arrives DoA I have to send it back by paying the weight of the PS4 (that's how they charge you, it's 16$ by kg., so roughly 80 bucks for the whole box) and then I have to pay another 80$ to receive the new PS4.
I'm thinking of selling the PS4 with my 3 games the moment it arrives on Monday. But on other hand I want to take my chances =(

Aah I understand. Well, maybe ship it back for $80 then and request a refund or so. But it should be working, so no worries!

Top Bottom