• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Amazon receive a faulty batch of PS4 Consoles, or was it poor packaging?

lol 260 broken PS4's out of the nearly 100,000+ PS4's that Amazon likely shipped? Amazon is ENORMOUS and the PS4 stock has been plentiful, they shipped a LOT of units.

Obviously 0 is better number than 260, but seriously that's still a pretty damn small percentage.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why doesn't this happen with other consoles, then

I have two observations:

1) Amazon must purge reviews after some time. There can't only have been 500 Wii U reviews in a year.

2) If they don't purge, low numbers implies there really isn't much feedback to Amazon at all-- could be a random sample, could not be. Not sure.

Like I said, my anecdotal experience is that the defect rate in this first batch is higher than it should be...but I don't think you can look at other consoles years+ out.

Purexed

Banned
I find it hilarious that people are blaming Amazon. The buck starts and stops with Sony on this. My package was pristine from Amazon, not a bent corner on my box. Still was a brick though.

ironcreed

Banned
People who got them from Best Buy and other places are reporting it as well. I don't think it has anything to do with Amazon.

Gurrry

I find it hilarious that people are blaming Amazon. The buck starts and stops with Sony on this. My package was pristine from Amazon, not a bent corner on my box. Still was a brick though.

Imo, it has to do with all 3 companies. Sony maybe has a tiny bit of defects here and there, Amazon's shipping center probably havent been as careful as they could with every single console, and UPS.. well.. they probably just throw your shit everywhere regardless if its fragile or not.

Ive known a few people who worked for UPS and they are easily some of the most scummy people I know. I wouldnt trust them to handle a box full of kleenex.

Roto13

I have two observations:

1) Amazon must purge reviews after some time. There can't only have been 500 Wii U reviews in a year.

2) If they don't purge, low numbers implies there really isn't much feedback to Amazon at all-- could be a random sample, could not be. Not sure.

Like I said, my anecdotal experience is that the defect rate in this first batch is higher than it should be...but I don't think you can look at other consoles years+ out.

Another quick look at the Wii U reviews shows that they go all the way back to last fall. And skimming through a few pages of the oldest reviews doesn't show a lot of reviews of faulty consoles. EDIT: And the same goes for Vita. Reviews dating back to launch. Far fewer than half of the early ones being about hardware failure.

War Eagle

Got mine from Amazon. It is bricked and DOA. Pulsating blue light of death... etc etc. I just spoke to Amazon and they are going to send me a replacement as soon as their stock replenishes.

Luckily, my roommate's PS4 is fine, and he is letting me play his at my own discretion.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Another quick look at the Wii U reviews shows that they go all the way back to last fall. And skimming through a few pages of the oldest reviews doesn't show a lot of reviews of faulty consoles.

That is really interesting. To me that implies a large number of bricked users are heading right back to Amazon and reviewing it, to say nothing of percentages.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Amazon delivered mine and 3 of my friends, no issues. Played 6-7 hours yesterday and tested just about everything. Played 2 hours this morning on remote play and no issues.

Really liking the speed and new features. There's a few other things I'm getting used to yet.

fritolay

It sounds like there is an issue with PS4 and Amazon. Or just PS4 in general. I will be curious what shape mine will arrive.

vmoPkLH.jpg

Reddit thread

moonbox

Banned
The craziest part about all of this, is that the PS4 hasn't even been released worldwide yet. Next will be Europe and the UK, after that, in December, the rest of the world. If this problem remains consistent, then we have a massive, massive, problem on our hands. If Sony have to 'hold back' or recall large batches of systems, they will literally lose customers to the Xbox One.

Imagine how many people have put the PS4 away for Christmas for their child, spouse, or sibling. Normal, everyday people who don't keep up to date with this shit. They're fooked. :/

Hex

Banned
No, amazon just allows anyone to write reviews even if they did not buy anything there.
I can go write a review for any product I want right now.
(Though I did write one for PS4 since I did get mine there, and mine is confirmed)

popeutlal

Another quick look at the Wii U reviews shows that they go all the way back to last fall. And skimming through a few pages of the oldest reviews doesn't show a lot of reviews of faulty consoles. EDIT: And the same goes for Vita. Reviews dating back to launch. Far fewer than half of the early ones being about hardware failure.
Amazon never officially sold Wii U, all early Wii U reviews are from higher priced 3rd party sellers.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Are people with blue flashing lights trying different HDMI cables/ports on TVs/receivers? I was told by a friend at Gamestop that the blue flashing lights may indicate no video/audio output detected.

Spasm

Amazon PS4 here, working flawlessly. They did give me about 300 yards of air-pack, all on top. The bottom was unprotected. Guess I have soft-handed UPS guys.

mhayze

If 160 bricks from a gigantic retailer like Amazon is all then I would call this an excellent failure-rate.

Is the assumption that every single person with a broken device has written about it on the Amazon reviews page? Not sure that's a valid assumption.

Tak3n

Banned
The craziest part about all of this, is that the PS4 hasn't even been released worldwide yet. Next will be Europe and the UK, after that, in December, the rest of the world. If this problem remains consistent, then we have a massive, massive, problem on our hands. If Sony have to 'hold back' or recall large batches of systems, they will literally lose customers to the Xbox One.

Imagine how many people have put the PS4 away for Christmas for their child, spouse, or sibling. Normal, everyday people who don't keep up to date with this shit. They're fooked. :/

Those people need to get them down from the loft and test when little ones are sleeping, I remember buying our lad Skylanders last year, and the portal was faulty, you could watch his little heart break right there and then...

Since then I test everything electrical he may get, before he gets it

ironcreed

Banned
No, amazon just allows anyone to write reviews even if they did not buy anything there.

I suppose that is why so many of the bad reviews are coming from verified buyers. This is happening all over with the PS4 and it looks like it is in no small numbers. Hell, it all started with the Taco Bell units and even IGN got a lemon. It sucks, but this is more real than you think. And it's only been a day.

I'm not saying those are fake reviews, but most of them are likely fake. Come on, don't be naive, there is a full fledged stupid console war going on...

There's a lot of verified purchasers last I looked, meaning that these people really did buy a PS4 from Amazon. I also purchase from Amazon quite a bit. Somehow I can't see these problems being as a result of something Amazon did wrong because they've always been pretty good with this kind of stuff. That is the proper protection and handling of packages.

Most of the reviews so far from the first couple pages I looked at all appear to be legit, but if you look towards the later pages, there's a few non verified purchases saying bad things, which are very likely -- sorry to say -- to just be people trying to stir up more trouble, as opposed to being actual PS4 owners. I expect something similar with the Xbox One with regards to fake reviews, but what can't be denied that there's a lot of real PS4 owners having real issues, and the real, verified purchases seem to outnumber the ones who haven't been verified. I don't truly believe this to be strictly an Amazon issue. From the appearance of things so far, there's a larger issue that requires sorting out.

Also talked with my 3 friends that bought their PS4 at best buy today. Still going strong after the little issues they had yesterday where the systems weren't working for a bit. Some clarification: Their ps4s weren't bought today. I mean I talked to them today.

I suppose that is why so many of the bad reviews are coming from verified buyers. This is happening all over with the PS4 and it looks like it is no small numbers. Hell, it all started with the Taco Bell units and even IGN got a lemon. It sucks, but this is more real than you think. And it's only been a day.

This, too, Taco Bell winners had issues, as did websites that presumably got them directly from Sony.

Roto13

I can go write a review for any product I want right now.
(Though I did write one for PS4 since I did get mine there, and mine is confirmed)

They're mostly verified purchasers. They're definitely from people who bought PS4's.

moonbox

Banned
People are more likely to write a review if their product was faulty.

I don't understand why people keep typing up comments like this. Who are you trying to kid, man? This is a problem, and to what extent is up to Sony to find out and fix. If you would rather live in denial and ignorance out of some pathetic, loyalist 'fanboyism', then be my guest. But this problem needs to be addressed, regardless of your (lack of) acknowledgement.

LiquidMetal14

Define massive because in this age of social media and internet, problems like this are discussed feverishly.

I don't think I've run into one friend who had an issue other than the Bravia pixelation issue which I helped him fix with a FW update thanks to TheExodus's thread.

I think the rest of the world will be fine by the time they launch elsewhere. But yes, they do need to get on this issue and stay on top of it. If they want to sell their online services as being on par with Live, this isn't going to help.

On a side note, my Amazon unit is fine.

Lunzio

At least from what I've observed, as of late, a lot of people have been complaining about broken cases and other poor shipping habits from Amazon.

My experience with them has been flawless though.

Vercimber

I received my PS4 from Amazon yesterday and had to send it back yesterday. I got the ebbing blue light of overwhelming doom (eblood) ;-P

Needless to say, I was very disappointed. In any case, I tried SEVEN different HDMI ports, and NINE different HDMI cables, some of which are the "premium" monster brand. I tried resetting the system as others have instructed. No dice.

The shit of it is there's no stock for an exchange. My only recourse is a refund, which is perfectly fine, as this defective unit helped me see the light: I should just enjoy what I have now and wait until the PS4 has a decent economy of games before I take the plunge. I'll do the same with the One.

For those who've yet to take the plunge into next-gen and don't have a 780Ti-equipped Ferrari PC, the Wii U is a real treat right about now. NSMBU, Luigi U, Pikmin 3 (I have actually invested 200 hours into the mission modes), Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, Nintendo Land, a unique take on Rayman Legends, and Super Mario 3D World make it the best console to get--if you're into Nintendo, that is.

This, too, Taco Bell winners had issues, as did websites that presumably got them directly from Sony.

Not exactly true. Contests usually use other companies to fulfill winnings. Sony went through another company for Taco Bell contest. That company gets the units and ships them out to winners, etc.

LiquidMetal14

While this may be true in some respects, I wouldn't use this as evidence of much because a lot of people who have zero problems regularly participate in the review process. I know I do.

I have never had a faulty product from Amazon but have also never written positively when that's all I've had, positive experiences.

It works and that's my review.

I don't understand why people keep typing up comments like this. Who are you trying to kid, man? This is a problem, and to what extent is up to Sony to find out and fix. If you would rather live in denial and ignorance out of some pathetic, loyalist 'fanboyism', then be my guest. But this problem needs to be addressed, regardless of your (lack of) acknowledgement.

Please, this isn't even a problem. The sheer number of systems against those affected means it's not a problem yet. This is unfortunate but, ultimately, normal for any consumer electronics but the internet and the popularity of gaming right now is making a huge deal out of a probably minor issue.

My console from Amazon is also working great so far. Packaging was awful though. They put it upside down in the box (front of the PS4 box facing downwards inside the bottom of the shipping box) and just threw a couple of air pockets on top of it. I found it odd considering most of their stuff is packed exceedingly well. There was a lot of empty space in the box for the thing to wobble (hah) around in.

Luckily, I live near Atlanta, and the shipment came from Chattanooga, TN. So it didn't have far to travel.

DocGaf

Neo Member
Anyone else notice that the PS4 already has more negative reviews than the PS3? 89 1 star ratings for the PS3 and 277 1 star ratings for the PS4. Most of the 1 star ratings are from verified purchases as well.
I get that people who are happy are less likely to post a review than someone who is unhappy. However, it's hard to overlook the fact that PS4 in one day has earned 3 times as many 1 star ratings as the PS3 160gb core system. Somethings gotta be up.

I received my PS4 from Amazon yesterday and had to send it back yesterday. I got the ebbing blue light of overwhelming doom (eblood) ;-P

Needless to say, I was very disappointed. In any case, I tried SEVEN different HDMI ports, and NINE different HDMI cables, some of which are the "premium" monster brand. I tried resetting the system as others have instructed. No dice.

The shit of it is there's no stock for an exchange. My only recourse is a refund, which is perfectly fine, as this defective unit helped me see the light: I should just enjoy what I have now and wait until the PS4 has a decent economy of games before I take the plunge. I'll do the same with the One.

For those who've yet to take the plunge into next-gen and don't have a 780Ti-equipped Ferrari PC, the Wii U is a real treat right about now. NSMBU, Luigi U, Pikmin 3 (I have actually invested 200 hours into the mission modes), Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, Nintendo Land, a unique take on Rayman Legends, and Super Mario 3D World make it the undisputed best console to get--if you're into Nintendo, that is.

If I get another console within a year, it will probably be the Wii U. I think a PS4/Wii U combo is probably the best for my gaming diet.

Jedi2016

My box was packed better than the one above from Reddit, but I still think they could have done a better job securing the thing from bouncing around. That was my biggest fear, was that it would be jostled too hard.

But it appears that most of the failures occur very early on... I got a good 4-6 hours of play in last night with zero issues, and downloaded everything I wanted to download from PSN. Hopefully that means I'm in the clear.

The_Lump

Banned
I have two observations:

My thoughts exactly

lol 260 broken PS4's out of the nearly 100,000+ PS4's that Amazon likely shipped? Amazon is ENORMOUS and the PS4 stock has been plentiful, they shipped a LOT of units.

Obviously 0 is better number than 260, but seriously that's still a pretty damn small percentage.

Again, that's assuming all of those Amazon customers have a) used their machine and that b) any that have had problems have posted it online. Bottom line is it's not a big enough sample or long enough test phase to draw a conclusion yet either way. It is noteworthy at this stage.

Btw I don't think this has anything to do with Amazon or a bad Amazon "batch".

Anyone else notice that the PS4 already has more negative reviews than the PS3? 89 1 star ratings for the PS3 and 277 1 star ratings for the PS4. Most of the 1 star ratings are from verified purchases as well.
I get that people who are happy are less likely to post a review than someone who is unhappy. However, it's hard to overlook the fact that PS4 in one day has earned 3 times as many 1 star ratings as the PS3 160gb core system. Somethings gotta be up.

New system vs continuation of old line. Those numbers mean nothing, you'd need to compare to the launch PS3s.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Anyone who worked in some kind of store/warehouse knows how goods are treated. Handled with care? You wish :p

Not exactly true. Contests usually use other companies to fulfill winnings. Sony went through another company for Taco Bell contest. That company gets the units and ships them out to winners, etc.

I thought they shipped from the local Taco Bell. :p Kidding aside, I just hope everyone's issues get sorted out because this sucks. A lot of people have been waiting for months to get their hands on systems, and now that they finally have them, they can't enjoy them.

My PS4 pre-order was initially from Amazon, and I'm kind of glad now I canceled late. I'll wait now to see how developments go with regards to reliability, and for when newly manufactured systems start showing up before remaking my PS4 purchase. Don't want to get a bad model, and then have to be walking on egg shells being nervous about being shit out of luck when my warranty expires.

It's a problem for certain, but he's 100% right.

People don't typically take the time to write reviews for ANYTHING unless they're completely blown away, or really pissed off. Why do you think products hardly ever get 3 star reviews?

Go look at just about any product, out there if it's a great product you will see a lot of 5's few 4's and a bunch of 1's. If it's a shit product you'll see a ton of 1's some 2's and maybe a few 5's.

5 star: (239)
4 star: (21)
3 star: (9)
2 star: (11)
1 star: (204) - Most of the complaints were of broken PS4

0.4%? Really?

Edit: Looks like all of them so far

Not all of them I ordered my PS4 from Amazon and it came to me in PREFECT shape .

But, If this is the case, it may be the boxed HDMI cable that is pushing the pins in the HDMI slot back and making the PS4 not functional.

I actually, unplugged my PS3 HDMI cable and plugged it in the PS4, then used the Boxed PS4 cable for the PS3.

I have not clearly had NO issues.

TTSupra

Banned
Bought mine from Amazon and played it about 10 hours straight yesterday with zero problems and I also have yet to review my purchase yet. When I do it will be a 5 star review.

I honestly believe people are freaking out way overboard on this because of the way social media brings this to attention.

The PS4 I received from Amazon is working fine but I was really unhappy about the way they packed it. There was no protection inside the shipping box on the sides and the Sony box was completely crushed in one corner as if it had been dropped.

I would imagine that with the enormous amount they were shipping under a tight schedule they didn't have the time to pack them properly but it's a shame that might have lead to damaged units.

moonbox

Banned
Please, this isn't even a problem. The sheer number of systems against those affected means it's not a problem yet. This is unfortunate but, ultimately, normal for any consumer electronics but the internet and the popularity of gaming right now is making a huge deal out of a probably minor issue.

What 'sheer number'? It is only released in America right now! A lot of people will have it tucked away for Christmas. Not only that, but it may be a long term problem. Who is to say that any PS4 will last longer than a frickin' month?!

I will never understand people like you. All I want, is for my fellow gamers, and future gamers to be able to play their games and have fun.

'Oh, it's no big deal.'

'Ah, just exaggerated hyperbole by Xbox fanboys'

'Meh, to be expected at launch'

No, no, just no. Fucking wake up, please.

Top Bottom