• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Die Hard 5: “A Good Day to Die Hard”

Status
Not open for further replies.
More like Live Free Or Suck Hard amirite

This JDFOX cat is on point about Johnston and Moore, though Joe directed October Sky which was good. Fuck him the rest of the time though.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
78 days to shoot any sort of scene that will be less than 5 minutes of the movie kind of makes you seem shit at your job.

John McClane was never really a badass though. He always just barely got by and got the crap kicked out of him along the way. That's what makes him such a fun character to watch.

For comparison

John Matrix at the end of Commando
17KDh.jpg

John McClane at the end of Die Hard
VNBDdl.jpg

Funny that Die Hard was written originally as a sequel to Commando.

I actually enjoyed Die Hard 4 during my first viewing.

Until the truck/jet scene. Seriously, fuck that whole sequence.

Upon 2nd viewing I also noticed this movie could have the most continuity errors and voice-ins I've ever seen in big-budget action flick. What a mess.

I can enjoy DH4 for whats its worth. Its an alright action movie but its a terrible die hard movie. Really did disservice to McClanes character in that it didn't even seem like the same guy. Bruce was sleep walking through his lines as well.

Holy shit, I just read an interview with the director about how the movie isn't going to be jokey like the other ones.

What the fuck? 95% of McClane's character comes in his wisecracking. That, and the awful resume of the director, pretty much has made me lose all hope in this movie.

strafer

Beaty is back.

Today, a cameo appearance by a third member of the McClane family has been revealed thanks to extra Ted Cross (via Bleeding Cool).

"I got to work with Bruce Willis again, which is always nice," Cross posted on his blog about working on the set, "The best, though, was that I got to work with Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who plays Willis' daughter."

god at this point a reboot would have been so much better than a straight up sequel ugh...

same goes for Indy IV really... and that's coming from someone who doesn't even believe in reboots!

JdFoX187

Banned

Looks like they couldn't get his ex-wife, so they scrambled to get his daughter for a couple scenes to at least connect this to the other films. A half-heated attempt to at least try to show this is a Die Hard film when everyone knows it's something shit out for a paycheck for Willis and a possible paycheck for Fox. Embarrassing

god at this point a reboot would have been so much better than a straight up sequel ugh...

same goes for Indy IV really... and that's coming from someone who doesn't even believe in reboots!

No, it's at the point of just let the series rest. If they could have gotten someone who was decent at directing to sign on, and Fox actually put a budget behind this film, I might be interested. But bringing John Moore in and the compressed budget with the deadzone February 2013 release means this is a quick and dirty cash grab for everyone involved. Moore is a studio stooge below even Bret Ratner's level who will do anything Rothman wants. No one other than Bruce Willis should play this role, just like no one other than Harrison Ford should ever be Indiana Jones.

strafer

First official still.

UOKFw.jpg

Not saying much but hey, it's Bruce.

Also, hope the wife beater returns.

And...

The trailer will be attached to Taken 2 this weekend, so expect it to be released online within the next couple of days.

Good Day To Die Hard, A (trailer A) 09/27/2012 1:02 20th Century Fox

HYPE!

JdFoX187

Banned
They've turned John McClane from a dude in the wrong place at the wrong time to another one of Bruce Willis' generic action roles.

.GqueB.

Banned
They've turned John McClane from a dude in the wrong place at the wrong time to another one of Bruce Willis' generic action roles.

Pretty much. I don't think Bruce Willis fits in these films anymore. And how is he even still in the field. He's been at the center of 3 HUGE situations and saved the day in every single one. He should be behind a desk by now.

Yeah I'm getting the same feeling

I was one of the few people who didn't mind 4, even though the plot was a pretty silly I still thought it felt like a Die Hard movie on the whole. It was definitely the worst Die Hard but it wasn't as bad as I think everyone else makes it out to be. I know some of the scenes were silly but if you think back to 3's ending in Canada that was pretty fucking dumb too, it almost ruins the movie for me sometimes. I currently have low expectations for this one though, but maybe only the even number Die Hards will be the crappier ones?

One of the(many) problems I had with Live Free or Die Hard is that it didn't seem like John HAD to be the one to solve this one. As the series' scope gets bigger and bigger(office building -> airport -> New York -> AMERICA), McClane seems more superfluous. Any old-fashioned cop could have done it theoretically, as long as they had supernatural survival instincts and could fight harrier jets and shit, that is. Die Hard 3 was seemingly huge, but the personal angle between John and the Gruber family at least gave it some kind of reason for John being there. But hey, I guess his daughter got kidnapped, so there's something.

Holy shit this a million times. That was biggest problem with Die Hard 4, it was too large of a scope

Pretty much. I don't think Bruce Willis fits in these films anymore. And how is he even still in the field. He's been at the center of 3 HUGE situations and saved the day in every single one. He should be behind a desk by now.

One of the(many) problems I had with Live Free or Die Hard is that it didn't seem like John HAD to be the one to solve this one. As the series' scope gets bigger and bigger(office building -> airport -> New York -> AMERICA), McClane seems more superfluous. Any old-fashioned cop could have done it theoretically, as long as they had supernatural survival instincts and could fight harrier jets and shit, that is. Die Hard 3 was seemingly huge, but the personal angle between John and the Gruber family at least gave it some kind of reason for John being there. But hey, I guess his daughter got kidnapped, so there's something.

SJRB

Gold Member
I love Bruce Willis and I love the first three Die Hards so I hope for the best, but I fear the worst.

.GqueB.

Banned

Very true. It also suffered from the "everyone else is dumb except the stars of the movie" thing that I personally hate. Every major agency was probably involved in stopping this from happening but the only people that got close was an old cop, some 17 year old kid and Kevin Smith. It felt very contrived. In most of the other scenarios John was the only person that could do anything and it was very clear. Especially in the first one.

I get nothing "Die Hard" out of that still. Yeah it's just a still but as someone said, it looks like something more generic-- nothing you really associate with Die Hard can be found in that pic. I don't see John McClane. I see Bruce Willis holding a machine gun. There's no charm or charisma on display.

That being said, I actually liked the last one and I'll still see it as it will likely be an enjoyable action flick nonetheless. I hope.

Completely agreed. Really wish the writers understood this. Hell, I wish Bruce Willis understood this as surely he has the power to say "no, this isn't right."

I get nothing "Die Hard" out of that still. Yeah it's just a still but as someone said, it looks like something more generic-- nothing you really associate with Die Hard can be found in that pic. I don't see John McClane. I see Bruce Willis holding a machine gun. There's no charm or charisma on display.

Yup, in Die Hard, McClane always looked like he was in shock or had "oh fuck this shit" look to him. In 4 and this hes just looking like hes angry Bruce Willis being a badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom