• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Anthem technical breakdown

JP

I not agree. Because no start the analysis by Forza 7, for they know that 4k is real? I guess
Do you have any links to previous games where DF have not covered them and instead said, "Well, that's what it says on the box so we don't need to analyse it"?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I not agree. Because no start the analysis by Forza 7, for they know that 4k is real? I guess

I think it's more to do with whatever games Digital Foundry are able to get their hands on directly first. Maybe they haven't had a chance to cover Forza.

It could also be because Forza is a known quantity and they want to focus more on the new reveals.

nOoblet16

It's cause we already have an analysis of the tech that is going into Forza 7. The analysis is not for Forza 7 specifically but it is about the tech that will go into it. Considering this it makes sense to prioritise something that hasn't already been covered in atleast some form or another. Forza 7 is a known quantity from a known IP, Anthem isn't.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-motorsport-on-project-scorpio-the-full-story

KageMaru

considering the issues seen in ME Andromeda in general, i think biowares A team could end up pushing full 2160 checkerboarding ala horizon/days gone for this game. but who knows. my main worry is how early it has been announced. it's all impressive looking now, but the same thing was said about division and by the time it released it looked kinda standard. i have a feeling the same will be true with this.

I would hope we're past the downgrade phase at this point in the generation. It hasn't happened with the later generations of software we've seen recently.

BatSu

FingerBang

I don't know why fanboys are laughing at Scorpio using checkerboarding, because that just leaves even more room in the tank to increase graphics further than PS Pro. So if you consider this some stupid competition then you still 'lose' either way lmao.

Seriously?

People have been making fun of PS4 Pro since it was announced. Microsoft has been making fun of PS4 Pro 4K, with their "TRUE 4K" thing, and they did it a few days ago as well during the conference.

It's okay to be biased, let's not pretend console A fanboys are worse than console B fanboys. They're all the same.

Mifec

That would be a safe bet, hoping they optimize Frostbite on Pro some more and get it lined up to 2160cc as well.

The DF video mentioned dynamic resolution scaling here as well, like Origins, that the dev mentioned dynamic scaling but they didn't notice much in the demo. Maybe the dynamic scaling will be used more for the Pro version.

Either way, this was easily the graphical showcase of E3. Here's hoping the final version is just as, or even more, polished.

It will be. On PC.

theWB27

Game of the show for me. Even if it looks a little worse than it did there I'd be ok with it. Hope it pans out to be great.

JP

I didn't say that
Is there a reason you're not responding to my other posts?

What exactly are you basing your theories on? To me, it appears that you have an answer and you're doing everything you can to fit everything into that answer rather than just looking at how DF usually deal with this stuff.

The reason that people keep questioning you is because you're just not making any sense, and perhaps worse that that, you're even trying to presenting anything that backs up what you're suggesting. People will probably keep doing this until you actually offer them something concrete to react to.

EvB

I think it's great that they're going for CBR instead of pursuing native 4k at all cost just for a PR bulletpoint.

Well we know that the Xbox one will be 720p/900p as it's frostbite so there should be no expectation of native 4k in that situation.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't know why fanboys are laughing at Scorpio using checkerboarding, because that just leaves even more room in the tank to increase graphics further than PS Pro. So if you consider this some stupid competition then you still 'lose' either way lmao.
Because Phil and MS with the "true 4k" talk... they said Pro is a "false 4k" console like Xbox One S while Scorpio is the only one "true 4k".

They made themselves a joke.

BatSu

Is there a reason you're not responding to my other posts?

What exactly are you basing your theories on? To me, it appears that you have an answer and you're doing everything you can to fit everything into that answer rather than just looking at how DF usually deal with this stuff.

The reason that people keep questioning you is because you're just not making any sense, and perhaps worse that that, you're even trying to presenting anything that backs up what you're suggesting. People will probably keep doing this until you actually offer them something concrete to react to.

1-no reason, no is the answer.

2-It is not any theory, just my opinión

3-my english is very bad

I for one welcome our new uprendering overlords.

Yup, have you seen how dense this game looks?? Insane. I wouldn't care if the pro would run 1440p or even 1800p CB.

Has that 2005-2006 ish CG aesthetic. I love it.

vlcsnap-2017-06-12-00xts81.jpg

vlcsnap-2017-06-12-00wash5.jpg

vlcsnap-2017-06-12-00cosn9.jpg

KageMaru

Because Phil and MS with the "true 4k" talk... they said Pro is a "false 4k" console like Xbox One S while Scorpio is the only one "true 4k".

Honest question, how do you selectively hold onto a marketing term meant to communicate a superior product but ignore the actual technical comments, discussions, and policies made by these same people?

ethomaz

Banned
If you willfully ignore the fact they've also stated they're letting devs use the power the way they see fit.
If you ignore everything they said about "the only true 4k console" this E3 ;)

Honest question, how do you selectively hold onto a marketing term meant to communicate a superior product but ignore the actual technical comments, discussions, and policies made by these same people?
I don't select anything... false claims from companies needs to called out.

Why I will call them out on their correct claims??? Makes no sense lol

Kaako

Felium Defensor
There goes that CBR again. Being efficient and stuff even in E3 vertical slice demos.
Bless you, CBR. You are the savior of these mid gen consoles.

JP

1-no reason, no is the answer.

2-It is not any theory, just my opinion
OK, so we have that.

If you look at what's involved in this particular game, that fact it;s brand new IP from BioWare, that people have been excited about and the fact that it's a third party used by Microsoft to demonstrate the new console and the previous work that they've done on Scorpio, at the invitation of Microsoft.

There is nothing about any of that which would make you think what you're suggesting could be true. Absolutely nothing.

I'd imagine that DF would love to have a hundred new analysis videos published every day because they make money from them but they can only do what they can do. There's nothing that benefits DF from ignoring Forza 7, it's just that I'd suggest this game is a far more interesting proposition to more people, and to them, that Forza 7 is at the moment.

theWB27

As long as you know you're being disingenuous. You're calling out them telling people it can do true 4k and yet you're ignoring them telling people devs don't have to hit 4k if they choose not to.

The only thing false is your assertion of what's going on here. You don't need to call them out. Acknowledge that they also stated they aren't making 4k mandatory.

KORNdoggy

I would hope we're past the downgrade phase at this point in the generation. It hasn't happened with the later generations of software we've seen recently.

i'm not even talking downgrades. just the natural passing of time and expectations being adjusted based on other games releasing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Those are 60fps games tho. 30 is usually 900 and 1080p.

Oh right, forgot ME Andromeda ran at higher resolutions than the BF games. Andromeda still dropped resolution for the cut-scenes IIRC. PS4 dropped to 900p and XB1 to 720p (?)

Eh not really.

Sony are saying their console is 4K, yet only a few games actually are

Microsoft are saying their console is 4K, and quite a lot of games actually will be. Plus UHD media.

So who is closer to the truth?

It's just a quick tagline to give a rough idea to potential consumers on where the performance differences are. They can't be reeling off every potential outcome in their TV advert, except for the small print stuff. And again, we have Mark Cerny only yesterday in a 'PR speech' saying Gran Turismo is 4K. Well, it isn't. Should we start bombarding his Twitter demanding the truth? No, we shouldn't. Just let Digital Foundry sort out the details if you need them.

leeh

I don't get what youre trying to prove here?

Its clear that its running on the 1X, and I bet every single person on here will unanimously agree that they'd prefer this ridiculously high visual fidelity at CBR 4K rather than the settings being knocked down to run native.

I put my money on 1440 CBR on the pro without the same texture quality.

killroy87

It's a shame that fanboys have chosen true/checkerboarding 4K as the narrative to run with on this thing. I'm willing to bet a thousand dollars that 95% of the smartasses bitching would never ever be able to tell the difference. Wouldn't even know what to look for.

gamz

Why I will call them out on their correct claims??? Makes no sense lol

The only people who don't get it or act confused are console warriors. Don't embarrass yourself any further. You have no interest in the X, so why derail a thread with your nonsense.

Well that's only a good thing that the folks at DF don't seem to doubt it was running off the hardware. Definitely gives me more hope that it might really end up looking like this, i want to say better since this is pre alpha, but i really doubt that. But this game....this fucking game. Imagine if MEA had looked like this.

BatSu

OK, so we have that.

If you look at what's involved in this particular game, that fact it;s brand new IP from BioWare, that people have been excited about and the fact that it's a third party used by Microsoft to demonstrate the new console and the previous work that they've done on Scorpio, at the invitation of Microsoft.

There is nothing about any of that which would make you think what you're suggesting could be true. Absolutely nothing.

I'd imagine that DF would love to have a hundred new analysis videos published every day because they make money from them but they can only do what they can do. There's nothing that benefits DF from ignoring Forza 7, it's just that I'd suggest this game is a far more interesting proposition to more people, and to them, that Forza 7 is at the moment.

I agree

gamz

Well that's only a good thing that the folks at DF don't seem to doubt it was running off the hardware. Definitely gives me more hope that it might really end up looking like this, i want to say better since this is pre alpha, but i really doubt that.

Yup. I didn't expect that at all. Looks great.

leeh

The only people who don't get it or act confused are console warriors. Don't embarrass yourself any further. You have no interest in the X, so why derail a thread with your nonsense.
Yeap. Same shit different thread.

ethomaz

Banned
When yeah, they should said PS4 Pro is false 1800p and said One X is false 4k right.
Both are machines that can delivery 4k with Scorpio being the stronger one. Said that both lacks the horse power to delivery 4k for most games.

The "true"/"false" 4k narrative is shameful.

leeh

Both are machines that can delivery 4k with Scorpio being the stronger one. Said that both lacks the horse power to delivery 4k for most games.
I've got a sneaky feeling you're going to be in for a shock when DF comparisons for both a shown.

Checkerboarding on consoles is the smart choice to make
Basing your entire marketing campaign on 'true 4k' while trying to sell this to exactly the type of people who are more likely to be knowledgeable of its not so true 4k , is not.

Theorry

The "true"/"false" 4k narrative is shameful.

Who knows. But shouldnt we just wait until the games are out and the One X is out?
I have sometimes the feeling its november already. ;)

ISee

Checkerboarding on consoles is the smart choice to make
Basing your entire marketing campaign on 'true 4k' while trying to sell this to exactly the type of people who are more likely to be knowledgeable of its not so true 4k , is not.

It even helps on PC tbh. I used it in Watch Dogs 2 for 1440p and the results were fantastic (with + resolution scaling and very light sharpening).

The True 4K was about the ability to deliver Xbone games in 4k. Developers taking the next step and delivering higher settings at the expense of a native resolution does not make that statement untrue.

The Pro is incapable of running games that don't already have plenty of headroom on Ps4 in native 4k, the jury's still out on Xbonex if that's the case, but choosing games that decided to go over the "Xbone games in native 4k at the same settings and framerate" promise to say they are lying only makes the argument itself a joke.

Top Bottom