• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Anthem technical breakdown

It looks great but I don't think it's any more impressive than games like Horizon ZD. It all looks a little UE3 to me too, that tired UE3 colour palette.

You seriously think that? To me that forest alone looked a lot more dense, a lot more detailed and overall just a lot more realistic.

Lmao, same thing ran thru my mind when I first saw this.

I know right :)

Next time i watch this video will be on a 65 inch OLED, which should be insane. But when the game itself actually is out, that should be eye melting stuff, haha.

KageMaru

That would be upscaling

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

It's based on the whitepaper. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ace-to-4k-how-scorpio-targets-ultra-hd-gaming

I suspect it's due to quad occupancy & triangle size. Plus there's the larger L2 cache for texture ops.

You can somewhat see this in 4Pro titles that take 1080p base titles to 1800p or higher, but that's usually a straight increase with no other enchantment.

Cool, I'll have to check it out, thanks bud.

Lucifon

There's some real hair splitting going on here. Also worth noting this game is 15+ months away and optimisation often comes late in a dev cycle. It's looking incredible for where its at, hopefully the full game lives up to it.

bombshell

Again. His stated goal was to deliever a console capable of pushing a 900p games to 4K natively. That's what the xb1 is.

If developers choose to use the power differently so be it.

Some devs will choose higher settings over native 4K.

Again. That's not been his rhetoric this E3, you just replied to the proof, and I'm just calling out for him to tone the deceiving down a bit.

KageMaru

And it's not just about res. Bringing in a 4k game is also 4k assets which pro can't do with the low amount of extra ram over base consoles. This is what Phil means in true 4k

Feeding into the console war rhetoric doesn't help the conversation.

Again. That's not been his rhetoric this E3, you just replied to the proof, and I'm just calling out for him to tone the deceiving down a bit.

I agree that his comment in that one interview was stupid but it was also vague like most comments used to promote your platform.

What are you even talking about?

You talk about upscaling and "uprendering" when 1) they aren't the same and 2) uprendering isn't even a real word.

onQ123

Feeding into the console war rhetoric doesn't help the conversation.

I agree that his comment in that one interview was stupid but it was also vague like most comments used to promote your platform.

You talk about upscaling and "uprendering" when 1) they aren't the same and 2) uprendering isn't even a real word.

So when I told someone that blowing a lower resolution image up for a higher resolution screen would be upscaling I didn't know the meaning of the word?

You're clearly looking for a argument

thelastword

Banned
Wow This game had the best showing of every other game that was shown, it blew me away. The environments and the possibilities for storytelling are immense, and imagining these consoles running a game like that is just surreal.
I think it was the most impressive thing at MS's conference for sure, but not the most impressive showing tbh....

This time around I can say I observed the same things DF did during the conference...The most jarring thing to me was that ground detail which kept shapeshifting. Not really impressed by the facial detail and animations also. Funny enough, I saw the the Battlefront likeness with some semblance of photogrammetry involved....but it's the on rails section that made me draw the comparison, of course on-rails sections limits traversal options, so it's easier to seep godrays into these sections to improve the overall look, however battlefront was a 60fps title, but this is looking 30fps.....

The more I look at it though, it looks like a mix of Battlefront and Titanfall 2, more Titanfall though....So yes, we'll see how the final game looks like, but even then, that may be late 2018...or even 2019....

Checkerboarding is an amazing technological accomplishement. There's really nothing to talk down.

Phil's goal with the xb1x was a device powerful enough push 900p current games to native 4K w/o compromise. That's where he says his approach differs from the pro, which often requires checkerboarding to get current games to 4K.

Now that we have a device capable of doing that, doesn't mean devs should all use the boxes power in this manner. Personally I hope they don't, because Checkerboarding provides all the clarity I need + allows for higher settings.

From where i sit from my TV, pushing native 4K uses a ton of horsepower for little benefit.
Checkerboard rendering is a true revelation for me, nigh indistinguishable from 4k native, you would hardly notice unless you zoom in at 400%...Not just that, but anybody with a 4k tv would let XB1 owners know that it looks amazing. I was so tired of upscaling artefacts due to upscaling, smudged detail, blurriness...CB took care of all of that with in-grain TAA as per Sony's implementation, it's pretty much flawless.

The Shadowfall reprojection did not cut it with it's visual (vertical scanline like noise) and blurriness, Siege's 540p x 2 did not cut it, as it was blur central. CB is the best technology that has surfaced this gen IMO, easily. 2160CB Horizon Zero Dawn is one of the sharpest games I've played this gen....NHB.

And it's not just about res. Bringing in a 4k game is also 4k assets which pro can't do with the low amount of extra ram over base consoles. This is what Phil means in true 4k
Relax Space, 4k assets infers more than just textures, are you saying Anthem's particles effects etc.. are at 4k too?

Lets be honest, not all games will have 4k textures...Gears already have 4k textures, ROTTR etc.. for PC, so it's easy to transition those textures into the XBONEX build because of the generous ram spread. I imagine Forza 7 etc...will be the same, but it's not an automatic thing for all games....

onQ123

Doesn't mean the same results, though.

I'm just saying that people shouldn't be shocked to see checkerboard rendering in games on Xbox One X because if devs are going through the trouble of optimizing the game for PS4 Pro using checkerboard rendering they might as well use it on Xbox One X.

c0de

I'm just saying that people shouldn't be shocked to see checkerboard rendering in games on Xbox One X because if devs are going through the trouble of optimizing the game for PS4 Pro using checkerboard rendering they might as well use it on Xbox One X.

I also wouldn't be surprised. I wonder if Scorpio also has dedicated hardware for cb

Skux

Having to scale down this graphical marvel to Xbox One specs... it's going to look depressing by comparison.

Top Bottom