• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: GT Sport vs Forza 7

this video really shows what is wrong with modern gaming.
who cares how detailed the headlights of a car are.
you never see them when you race and if you do, they are far away
and what makes it even funnier is that the models in the menu/replay sometimes look better then actual gameplay.
is the damn game fun to play ?

(old man yelling at sky)
Dude it is df, a tech thread :/

btrboyev

Turn 10 continuing to fail time and time again with their lighting. Everything looks so flat. Those cars paint jobs should look bright and glossy. And those tail lights should glow. GT kills Forza in these regards.

BigLee74

Video made it clear why Forza uses prebaked shadows for the static environment details...they just look so much better than the dynamic but ultimately low res GTS shadows. No moving sun during a race as a result, and no possibility of fancy time lapse dancing shadows, but in the grand scheme of things this is no loss whatsoever for a game where most players play three or seven lap races.

Smart choice that helps the overall image quality, and to knock it as last generation stuff is a bit silly.

Feels like weather was completely left out.

I guess that would be a Forza win, as GT only has rain on a small amount of events and isn't dynamic, although it would still be nice to get an idea of how GT's rain effects hold up (hopefully they add it to more / all tracks eventually too)

LostDonkey

I feel the lod pop in is much more aggressive on GTS.

Especially on the oval track with the blue moon bay signs it is very noticeable drawing in the shadows on the crowd as you drive by and the cars are switching models constantly.

On mission stage 3, event 4: Like the wind.

CrayToes

GT wins comfortably for me. Been playing both for the past couple of weeks and Forza just doesn’t match up in most regards. Looking forward to playing it on the One X though.

skyfinch

Turn 10 continuing to fail time and time again with their lighting. Everything looks so flat. Those cars paint jobs should look bright and glossy. And those tail lights should glow. GT kills Forza in these regards.

Maybe before a race and in the showroom. But during and especially after, cars should be dirty, which Forza does. Gts cars stay showroom-like even after a rally event.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Fantastic video John! I’m so glad you used the GT Sport soundtrack across the whole vid. Soooo good.

Glad that GT gets the praise for trackside detail like it deserves.

And Forza is 90gb?! That baked solution is not sustainable if they ever want to do time of day and more tracks.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I just hope John still has a bit of humanity left after bathing himself in the foul, insufferable, cesspool of the Next-Gen Face Off thread during his research.

:p

I think the lighting improvements are the best graphical upgrade in forza 7. Vastly better than before and much closer to GT. GTS still has the edge IMO, but turn 10 is far from "failing".

Forza takes the cake just the amount of pixels being rendered is siginificamtly more demanding than 1800cb :)
That is not at all the conclusion I would make here from the video. Espescially as the part dedicated to image quality ends up being only 1/10th of the video really

jelly

I like the look of GT Sport more, it's just seems more natural. Digging that splitscreen option too. Forza Motorsport looks nice and clean but it's always been generally lifeless outside of maple valley.

i think the SPU's had a lot to do with that, the cell giving the RSX GPU cycles helped a lot in exclusive games like God of War 3 and Ascension, Detroit, Killzone and the like.

But even then with GT, Forza on last gen was clearly far superior performance wise compared to GT, which shows Polyphony stretched themselves thin in many ways

Well GT has bored me since since 5, but i think that has more to do with my exasperation with "sim racers", more than anything else. Not to say PD hasnt dropped the ball

With GT on PS3 Polyphony pushed it too hard, GT5 was 1280x1080 with 2x QAA (or 720p 4x MSAA, or 720p with no AA in 3D) while GT6 was 1440x1080 with MLAA.
I think that was too much demanding for the PS3 hardware at 60fps.
But man, it is IMPRESSIVE still today.
How many old gen titles achieved that level of wizardry? I'm still amazed of what they pulled out from PS3. And from a japanese developer too, it blows my mind every time.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Xbox One X runs in 4k native ultra settings ;)

Impressive indeed, but i'm curious what the visual sacrifices will be compared to a Titan X setup as shown in this DF video. I mean, the hardware used in there is two/three times as powerful as an X1X.

Good stuff from both games but not gonna lie, GT:S clearly bodies Forza here. I think with the longer development cycle and less content (this isn't a dig at GTS) has allowed PD to really focus in on finer details. T10 should also be happy at the work they put in, with the share wealth of cars/content and still able to get plenty of gorgeous details in the game is nothing to snuff at and shouldn't be discredited with shorter development cycles.

However though, seems to me that GTS overall in terms of a visual presentation is the clear winner and Forza wins in other ways.

Either way, racing fans should be happy, good stuff DF.

CrayToes

Good stuff from both games but not gonna lie, GTS sport clearly bodies Forza here. I think with the longer development cycle and less content (this isn't a dig at GTS) has allowed PD to really focus in on finer details. T10 should also be happy at the work they put in, with the share wealth of cars/content and still able to get plenty of gorgeous details in the game is nothing to snuff at and shouldn't be discredited with shorter development cycles.

However though, seems to me that GTS overall in terms of a visual presentation is the clear winner and Forza wins in other ways.

Either way, racing fans should be happy, good stuff DF.
Pretty much sums it up. Forza looks great in a vacuum but falls short when compared with GT which is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

Hawk269

The important question is: how do the tire walls on both games compare?

As funny as the whole Tire Wall thing has been, I was racing in the Nurb GT course in Forza 7 playing against the AI. I was in 8th place and heading down that back straight before the tight left turn towards the end of the course. As I am at full throttle I see about 3-4 AI cars a bit ahead of me, all of a sudden I see a giant explosion of tires flying in the air, as I get closer to the turn, I see 2 AI cars backing up...they both took a header into the tire wall. In this example, that exploding/flying debris of tires was pretty amazing looking.

Again, I know it is a funny joke, but in this example or when racing on-line and you come around a corner and see a bunch of tires scattered around a portion of the track and you tell yourself "man, someone really fucked up", just adds a bit too the game. Not suggesting it makes Forza better...I have both games they are both very good..it just does add a little bit over the staleness of the tracks in GTS.

It's not even subjective.

Game rendering in 4k native is a more TECHNICAL demanding rendering than using 1800cb

Maybe T10 should focus less on rendering in 4K native and more on making the game look as good as it can be.

Because they're wasting resources if all they want to do is satisfy True 4K hype.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
so GT has better:

Car models and interiors.
track draw distance and details.
tree modeling.
better lightning.
Split screen at 60fps.
HDR (not mentioned here)
dynamic shadows (lower resolution)
Replays
VR
60 fps reflections (24 hz when interior*)
20 AI cars grid

Forza has:
dynamic ToD (when car moves only)
static shadows (high resolution) for the environment, dynamic for the cars and some elements on the environment.
higher resolution (because of PC version used)
60+fps reflections with higher resolution
Higher resolution textures and good Anisotropic Filtering.
Tons of more cars and tracks.
24 AI cars grid

GTS running at 60 fps and Forza can go even higher.

Good work by dark10. much appreciated.

ftfy

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Game rendering in 4k native is a more TECHNICAL demanding rendering than using 1800cb
If that is literally all you’re looking at then of course that’s true. But it’s not until you see what each game is rendering and how it does it do you get a good impression over what’s technically more demanding.

Maybe T10 should focus less on rendering in 4K native and more on making the game look as good as it can be.

Because they're wasting resources if all they want to do is satisfy True 4K hype.
Also a good point.

Both games are not my cup of tea, but I'm really impressed with the performance and visuals of both. Especially love the lighting in Gran Turismo. Also crazy details on the cars (both games)

Hoo-doo

Banned

Weren't you the guy trying to win arguments by directly copy-pasting posts from Beyond3D in the face-off thread and passing them off as your own?

I mean, there's no shame in admitting that the tech-talk goes above your head. Somehow I doubt you're an authority on game development and graphics.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Weren't you the guy trying to win arguments by directly copy-pasting posts from Beyond3D in the face-off thread and passing them off as your own?

I mean, there's no shame in admitting that the tech-talk goes above your head. Somehow I doubt you're an authority on game development and graphics.
Oh crap that’s right, hahaha

Putty

Yes, he's like the Xbox version of The Last Word...

Top Bottom