• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - "Seagate Firecuda 2TB Review: The Ultimate PS4 Upgrade?"

There's long been issues with publications using that Backblaze report, even Blackblaze have stated that.

I use Backblaze myself and they're always very open information about this and I'm often getting invitations to webinars and analysis that they've held. The latest one was for their Year in Review on 2nd February which will cover...

They're always incredibly open about information such as this and how that information should be used by people if it is to be of any value.

The report that keeps getting raised in relation to the Seagate drives is now old and illustrates why Backblaze have so many failures, their business model is just replacing the failed drives with another consumer drive. It's just far more cost effective for them to do that than it is for them to spend more money on enterprise drives which could last longer.

The data illustrates the effectiveness of their business model far more than it illustrates the failure rate of a consumer drive used in the environment that it was designed to be used in. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that Backblaze report but it keeps getting used in ways that presents the data as something that it isn't.

Where do you see issue ? Even if they are abusing drives to the point normal user will never do some drives don't have much problems showing they can take the abuse.

Considering price difference between brands is minimal I'd rather have drive that can take enterprise class workload reliably.

JP

Where do you see issue ? Even if they are abusing drives to the point normal user will never do some drives don't have much problems showing they can take the abuse.
Exactly, where I said I took issue. That's why I said that I took issue there.
Considering price difference between brands is minimal I'd rather have drive that can take enterprise class workload reliably.
OK, not sure why you're telling me this?

I don't really care for improvements in 1-2 minutes in loading

Are there any contraindications to buy one 3TB drive? I've heard the machine does not read above 2TB of applications even if they are installed and does not do rest-mode?

I don't think that there is any 3TB drive that can fit ina PS4 without modification ? If this ain't true I would like if someone could point me to some model that can work. For what I can remember, the problem with rest mode was haappening to any model superiror to 1TB and has been resolved by following firmware

I've got one of these, and I'll be honest, I haven't noticed any substantial changes in load times. (This is an incredibly unscientific measure and by no means am I doubting the Digital Foundry results.) But I also don't really care that much; I got the drive so I could quadruple my storage, not because it promised speed improvements. So I'm happy nonetheless.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Right now I have a 1TB 7200 rpm drive installed in my PS4 Pro and I just wish they would make an SSD with a much larger cache and have 7200 capacity.

The improvements would be much better.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Plenty happy with Pro's stock 1TB but if I need to upgrade in the future, this is probably the model I'll be choosing unless they come out with 3 or 4TB drives with the right form factor :p

MrBenchmark

I go for mass storage in both my launch PS4 and my Pro. On Xbox one I have a large raid 0 array and a SSD external which I can quickly move the slowest loading or frequently used games too. It's the best of both worlds. Sony give us external support!

The performance benefit will mostly come from reloading, instead of the first time loads you get as you play through a game.

Right, yeah, I got that from the article, and I think the criticisms from earlier in the thread apply (who replays single-player games on a regular basis? it doesn't happen often). I was more chiming in to say my real-world experience reflects what other people were saying.

Gitaroo

Wonder how much better is a 7200rpm drive with a more consistent speed increase. If it takes 5 reload to see the benefit then its kind of useless for me since I switch between games all the time.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Wonder how much better is a 7200rpm drive with a more consistent speed increase. If it takes 5 reload to see the benefit then its kind of useless for me since I switch between games all the time.

Not to mention that its the OS that would likely take up the bulk of the 8GB cache.

Well, they did say they switched to Skyrim and and then went back. The benefits were still there.

Anyone know when they are likely to announce the next wave of drives? I'd like to go a bit bigger than 2tb.

I'm content with the 1 TB HGST Travelstar 7200 rpm drive I originally bought for my OG PS4. HGST drives have a low explosion rate, unlike Seagates.

Then again, if I ever got BF1 it would be the PC version which would be loaded off a full-blown SSD so I'm not exactly the target for this article.

Gamerman1

The performance benefit will mostly come from reloading, instead of the first time loads you get as you play through a game.

That is also a problem. The 8gb cache will get overwritten by new data when you get farther into the game. And playing a new game once or twice then going back to another your back at square one again.

Gamerman1

I'm content with the 1 TB HGST Travelstar 7200 rpm drive I originally bought for my OG PS4. HGST drives have a low explosion rate, unlike Seagates.

Then again, if I ever got BF1 it would be the PC version which would be loaded off a full-blown SSD so I'm not exactly the target for this article.

Same drive I had in my PS4 and I transferred it to my PRO. Works fine and loads faster than my friends stock PRO drive by a good amount in some games.

Rambone

I really liked the 1TB older model SSHD that I ordered the new 2TB version for my PS4 pro since I've already filled up the 1TB hard drive and need to make sure I'm ready to go for Nioh.

Vexii

Very tempting to look into something like this in the future. I find myself going back to the same games over and over again so it'd be silly not to save those seconds.

Also slightly off-topic, I don't know what DF's workload is like but does anyone else feel like their content is rather sparse lately? I'd love to see a lot more but I don't know how feasible it would be for them.

reKon

Banned

Have the same in my pro. I originally bought it for my OG PS4. Just moved it over the pro and will put the 5400 drive in an external enclosure.

Top Bottom