• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Spec Analysis: Sony's surprise PlayStation 5 tech reveal

That is some of the most utterly nonsensical, pie in the sky bullshit I've ever heard. Saying I don't know about graphics cards and then in the same breadth wildly speculate about how powerful PS5 NAVI is going to be and compare it to a gtx 1080ti for $100 less NEW than a USED gtx 1080 ever went for. And that card is 25-30% less powerful than a 1080ti. Console optimization doesn't get you from a gtx 1080 to a 1080ti.

This speculation is absurd given that so little about Navi's performance has actually been revealed. The only thing Navi is going to bring that is close to the miracle you're proposing is that for once, they won't have the most power hungry, thermally inefficient cards on the market.

Numps it is based on the rumours we have had 'pie in the sky' lol.

So again, learn about GPUs, you clearly have no clue what you are talking about, so much so it is quite offensive to read.

Mista

Banned
Shall I also act surprised of this jump because we’re going to a new gen? Okay, WOW THIS IS GREAT! Real talk now, this is great, I’m glad they’re going for the SSD. Now I’m hoping Xbox does the same since I’ll be getting both eventually
No way Sony will price the PS5 at $400.

TechS3ek

Neo Member
Hybrid solution is the most feasible and likely option. 128 GB of built in SSD merged with a normal 5400 rpm or maybe 7200 rpm hard drive. Neither SONY nor Microsoft can manage to have a 1 TB of SSD while maintaining the $500 price range for their console.

CuNi

Hybrid solution is the most feasible and likely option. 128 GB of built in SSD merged with a normal 5400 rpm or maybe 7200 rpm hard drive. Neither SONY nor Microsoft can manage to have a 1 TB of SSD while maintaining the $500 price range for their console.

I suspect that the SSD is going to cache the game ur playing to increase performance. I don't believe in 1 or 2 TB SSDs to be there either.

Geki-D

Banned

People have been guessing this same info without claiming to be insiders. Horizon 2 is non exclusive? Uh-huh. No mention of PSVR current gen headsets working on PS5, no mention of "no loading" (which more reliable insiders are saying Sony is putting a lot of focus into as a tagline), in fact no mention of the SSD at all?! Get the fuck outta here with this fake shit, son.

Fake

Make me wonder if Rich and John are looking for the same info the era box insiders gave to Nibel.
Microsoft already did in the same way with Xbox X. Maybe DF could gain some information. Hope so. At least we can compare with PS5.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
People have been guessing this same info without claiming to be insiders. Horizon 2 is non exclusive? Uh-huh. No mention of PSVR current gen headsets working on PS5, no mention of "no loading" (which more reliable insiders are saying Sony is putting a lot of focus into as a tagline), in fact no mention of the SSD at all?! Get the fuck outta here with this fake shit, son.

Nah, people were not guessing this same stuff. That leaker said there'll be 28 GBs of RAM. Who else is saying that?

Geki-D

Banned
Nah, people were not guessing this same stuff. That leaker said there'll be 28 GBs of RAM. Who else is saying that?
Is the amount of RAM actually correct, though? This leak is all up in the air till we get figures and the stuff that isn't there is telling me this is fake.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Is the amount of RAM actually correct, though? This leak is all up in the air till we get figures and the stuff that isn't there is telling me this is fake.

So far everything that's been released has been right. We'll know in a few months if the RAM is correct. That's the point. We can't say it's fake as of now.

Handy Fake

This has to be 600 dollar machine. PS3 main issue was not worthing the price. I don´t think will be the case now.
Quite frankly I think with the PS3 you were paying for the Blu-Ray player. Was a powerpush by Sony to set a standard in the market.
It worked mind, I suppose.

Numps it is based on the rumours we have had 'pie in the sky' lol.

So again, learn about GPUs, you clearly have no clue what you are talking about, so much so it is quite offensive to read.

You clearly haven't been paying attention to pricing in the GPU market in the last two years or you'd know everything you're saying is farcical bullshit.

Sure bud, call me when Navi is just another amd disappointment. It's targeting the low-mid end market. No way it has 1080ti performance for $250 but keep on dreaming and pretending you know jack.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Posted 1 month later after RuthenicCookie leak, which in turn was leaked 2 days later after some site had the information he leaked.
So... not sure if he (which I suspect to be an employee of Sony or by extension planted that seed) passed on the information to said site.
Case in point November 2018 is when things started rolling a bit, most things after that could easily be plaintext onto PasteBin.

No nearly all of what he claimed there about the PS5 turns out to be true. In December, the things he claimed that weren't doing the rounds:

- 28GB NAND Flash storage (SSD)
- 8K upscaling
- Release March 2020 when most people were saying 2019 at the time
- Ray tracing
- 'Much better bandwidth' regarding memory

CyberPanda

Banned
D377-B95-B-BC52-4645-8-D9-D-C939-F8-CA6827.png

D0-B314-E2-D020-4-B0-B-8080-26-CBE3279-ED2.png

He’s a verified insider with legit sources on Reeee.

CyberPanda

Banned
That's some miraculous GPU Decompression.
Everyone’s a verified dickhead on era.
To be fair, get a verified tag on resetera works as same as twitter IMO. Don't mean much. Still if he could provide the same info he gave to Nibel...
Pretty lame to be fair... nVidia is doing that and improving for generations already and you see loading on PC.

AMD’s GPUs do that too but it way behind nVidia.

BTW everybody looks to have a Verified seal in Era.

Here's info from Benji himself:

Screen-Shot-2019-04-18-at-8-22-04-PM.png

Fake

If I remember right (back the day I was a resetera member), Benji was a hardware sales insider, don't? And sometimes like Zhuge he hit his sales prediction almost 50% or less, BUT in the time I know him he being wrong just about some numbers.
edit: BTW, he most of the time say 'grain of salt' about hardware predictions.
edit2: I guess he posted or quoted that famouns tweet about 'God of War' having soft sales.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

There are some rumors about NextXbox not using APU but instead dedicated CPU/GPU... I’m not sure if it is cost effective but you can probably reach more power.

But that is rumor.

The weird thing is that all these rumors just started to pop up after Cerny interview.

Before everybody knows nothing.

Last edited:

demigod

There are some rumors about NextXbox not using APU but instead dedicated CPU/GPU... I’m not sure if it is cost effective but you can probably reach more power.

But that is rumor.

The weird thing is that all these rumors just started to pop up after Cerny interview.

Before everybody knows nothing.

Phil not being happy having to sit thru inside xbox while Cerny leaks some ps5 info to the world. Phil used his batphone to tell his paid leakers/insiders to damage control.

ethomaz

Banned
I wouldn't take that guy seriously, honestly he's such a drama queen and attention whore (Benji). He seems emotionally unstable.
He is fine most of times... said that he likes to get attention and become angry when his “predictions” didn’t become true.

He didn’t accept well when real numbers shows he was wrong.

Last edited:
He is fine most of times... said that he likes to get attention and become angry when his “predictions” didn’t become true.

Lol yes I know, an NPD thread couple months back or NPD predictions thread on there I can't remember, he had a sort of attention seeking meltdown where he kept posting 'why are people taking what I said out of context' when people really weren't. And he kept posting, 'I'm not going to post anything anymore' trying to turn the thread about him.

Hilariously, even the NPD guy Matt Piscella told him to calm down and let's have less of the drama. Anyway I dunno if he's a Sony/Nintendo/MS fanboy or what agenda he has.

Shin

Banned
Pretty lame to be fair... nVidia is doing that and improving for generations already and you see loading on PC.

AMD’s GPUs do that too but it way behind nVidia.

BTW everybody looks to have a Verified seal in Era.
I don't know the guy but actual insiders don't tent to seek attention and often are lowkey, which he does.
His history has so far been correct and possibly the only person's word I'd trust over there among insiders.
I figured that it's an AMD thing just like RT and neither Sony/MS should be credited for those, but doesn't matter in the end.
As for decompression via the GPU makes sense and for the longest of time we've known GPU being able to crunch harder than a CPU.
That's not to take anything away because in the end it will still be very helpful to the overall experience, how it's done isn't relevant IMO.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What does "2tb HDD some sort of nand flash" mean? :pie_thinking:

Imagine say a 512 GB or so very very fast SSD cache embedded in PS5’s motherboard and connected to its PCI-E 4.0 bus acting as cache for the HDD... as games are installed from PSN/Blu-Ray they get preloaded into the cache. The trick for expandability is to have the interface between flash cache and the HDD to be super fast and allow large SSD’s to be swapped in at a later date.

Reactions: TLZ

Fake

To be true happens with every other insider before resetera like Zhuge, Mat, etc...
What I hate about is they like make fun about other people when they hit the prediction, but when they're wrong act like 'stop make fun about me'.
Thats why I hate that serebii guy in particular. Make fun of people, but hate when people make fun of him.
Anw, from the time I know Benji he never get any 'leak' info. Who knows...

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
If Microsoft's Anaconda is beefier, then this tactic of flaunting specs is going to hurt Sony.

I'm surprised everybody is throwing around the word "specs" as what Mark Cerny spoke about in his interview wasn't really specs. It was more just a loose list of features, (perhaps a product direction, or philosophy) without any true details. The explicit details are what "specs" are. We don't know the specs yet.

I'll save you the speculating; spoilers ahead; The specs will be a mid-range Ryzen build with a 1070-class mid-range gpu + marketing bells and whistles intending to push current gen graphics with 1440p+ @ 60fps medium-high mixed settings, and next gen graphics @ 30fps medium-high mixed settings.

It is very easy to deduce from the typical cost of off the shelf components in 2019- relative to the typical $600 launch window price; if indeed this thing is coming next year. Boring I know, but such is reality vs marketing hype.

BASICALLY, you will get a slightly graphically souped up xbox one X paired with a semi-decent cpu relative to desktop cpu's of the current pc generation-which would unleash some cool new capabilites, considering the xbox one x is one of the most unbalanced and crippled (cpu limited) machines ever made. IN FACT, the RTX 480 equivalent in the xboner X is criminally crippled by a cpu that would have been slugish back in 2009. What a waste. It makes me sick.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
To be true happens with every other insider before resetera like Zhuge, Mat, etc...
What I hate about is they like make fun about other people when they hit the prediction, but when they're wrong act like 'stop make fun about me'.
Thats why I hate that serebii guy in particular. Make fun of people, but hate when people make fun of him.
Anw, from the time I know Benji he never get any 'leak' info. Who knows...
These types all belong in the bin.

Shmunter

Shall I also act surprised of this jump because we’re going to a new gen? Okay, WOW THIS IS GREAT! Real talk now, this is great, I’m glad they’re going for the SSD. Now I’m hoping Xbox does the same since I’ll be getting both eventually

These consoles need to be ready to compete with the immediacy of cloud gaming. Installing will still be slow. But once you have the game, it will load quick.

Dabaus

Banned
Cerny coming out stating that the PS5 will have a disc drive is a very interesting talking point. Why did he bother to bring up something which would seem so obvious as a talking point? Did sony hear Microsoft is considering not having a disc drive? Is sony telegraphing to gamestop, best buy, target, etc. that they arent going all in on digital like Microsoft is and bartering for preferential treatment from them? Maybe since Microsoft is aiming for more power they have to cut costs in other areas and a disc drive is something they cut out? Small point he made but has alot of implications.

nowhat

Lol sure. Both using AMD hardware and getting CPU & GPU from the same source but they will have very different architectures. Come on now.
Well, I mean, the other may feature a Zen 2-based CPU and a Navi-based GPU. While the other could have a Navi-based GPU in combination with a Zen 2-based CPU.

...but more seriously, there may be some proprietary additions in both (along the lines of the index buffer in Pro). Whether that will be the case and how much it will affect anything remains to be seen.

I'll save you the speculating; spoilers ahead; The specs will be a mid-range Ryzen build with a 1070-class mid-range gpu + marketing bells and whistles intending to push current gen graphics with 1440p+ @ 60fps medium-high mixed settings, and next gen graphics @ 30fps medium-high mixed settings.

It is very easy to deduce from the typical cost of off the shelf components in 2019- relative to the typical $600 launch window price; if indeed this thing is coming next year. Boring I know, but such is reality vs marketing hype.

BASICALLY, you will get a slightly graphically souped up xbox one X paired with a semi-decent cpu relative to desktop cpu's of the current pc generation-which would unleash some cool new capabilites, considering the xbox one x is one of the most unbalanced and crippled (cpu limited) machines ever made. IN FACT, the RTX 480 equivalent in the xboner X is criminally crippled by a cpu that would have been slugish back in 2009. What a waste. It makes me sick.

Slightly graphically souped up Xbox One? It will be a generational leap over that unbalanced bit of kit. Navi APUs alone, totally new gens of both graphics and CPU on 7nm to boot, is going to be a giant leap over the Polaris + Jaguar APU inside the XB1X. Then other generational features like instant loading, 3D audio, ray tracing etc. Don't be too pessimistic.

Remember, the XB1X is only 6TFLOPs, the PS5 is gonna be 14TFLOPs minimum.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm surprised everybody is throwing around the word "specs" as what Mark Cerny spoke about in his interview wasn't really specs. It was more just a loose list of features, (perhaps a product direction, or philosophy) without any true details. The explicit details are what "specs" are. We don't know the specs yet.

All he did was give a rough architecture and a little taste of their “load times” speed direction, did not give any specs at all.

Top Bottom