• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Spec Analysis: Sony's surprise PlayStation 5 tech reveal

I could get if its $600 people have an issue...but 5 years later you have a problem giving only $100 more....comon...Is playstation 10 in 2041 supposed to be $400 as well? I dont have an issue with higher price if the console specs show it. PS3 cost $600, was one year late and third party games at least in the first two years were better on 360. So then, that price wasnt proving why it would cost as much besides "cell".

Last edited:
You have the money. I have the money. most people have the money. However most people won’t spend $500 on a toy, and it’s those people Sony needs to get to buy if they want to repeat the PS4’s success. Guys like you and I are baked into the numbers; hey know we’ll buy in. Console generations are won and lost by the middle buyer, the buyer who doesn’t NEED a new console but would like to have one. Those people don’t spend $500 or more on nerd boxes dude.

You seem like an okay dude, but you’re ignorant of history here. Name one time a $500 machine has gone on to become the market leader. I’ll save you the time, if you like: the answer is never. Let’s hope there are fewer guys like you in Sony’s boardrooms than sensible people who know the market.
We didn't used to have 1500 dollar iPhones and kids spending a hundred dollars in fortnite. I've seen plenty of people who with their income shouldn't be buying these things but they do in droves.

Fif.teen.hundred. dollar PHONES.

And 500 bucks for a 7ish year investment is some great hurdle? Lol. Don't even give me that phones do more, because bro, if they just needed to use the phone they wouldn't spend that much. These are highly expensive toys.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Please learn about GPUs. First, there is a difference between AMD TFLOPs and Nvidia TFLOPs.

Secondly, small Navi launching this year is a new arch on 7nm, offering performance around a GTX 1080 for $250 or so. What's inside the PS5 is probably that heavily customised for more performance, easily 1080 Ti levels I would guess.
... And almost certainly Sony banking the cost of all the customization process.
Other he's forgetting is the price of a product that you order in millions lol

No you're right, I'm thinking $900 for the base PS5 model then there will be a premium model for $1200-1500 that will make the RTX 2080 Ti look like a Mark Cerny bad dream.

Given how Nvidia has got us used to $1000 prices for mid-range cards, these prices might be welcomed by gamers the world over, as welcome as when you find a small turd floating at the bottom of your coffee.
That's some shity reverse physics going on there 🔀😁

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, a *LOT* has changed, right? Great GPUs were once in the $200-300 range - now they're over $1000. Smart phones weren't a thing in the past - the prices have increased with each year and droves of people buy them yearly.

I agree that a high price can be a huge barrier but I don't think we can look exclusively at the past to determine anything.

I do think this is why Microsoft is planning two machines, though. A high-end machine for those willing to spend the cash and a low-end machine.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i don't really care what it's priced at although £500 is probably my limit because i'll need to get a 4K TV as well! either i get a 4K TV early next year or hold onto my 1080p TV for a while after I get the PS5.

zeioIIDX

smartphones are in the thousands so why do console have stick to a 400 pound price tag?
Very good point although we carry our phones everywhere with us and they do a lot for us in our daily lives. We don't bring our game consoles with us to the store, work, church, etc. They just sit at home in one place, hooked up to the television.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

The social aspect of phones is completely different than that of consoles. A phone is considered an extension of one's lifestyle, something that keeps you in touch with family and friends and can perform a myriad of other functions. A console is still widely regarded (perhaps rightly so) as a Nerd Box. In other words, it's not that the money isn't there, it's that buyers don't feel the cost is justified for an expensive toy. For what it's worth, Apple appears to have hit the ceiling too, the iPhone has been eating shit since they started charging the cost of a MacBook for one. It's all economics; supply vs demand. Price goes up and demand drops.

I disagree. People didn't want to spend money for consoles because they were buying them for their kids and consoles were seen as toys. Now the kids have grown up and are buying consoles for themselves and are willing to invest a lot of cash for their hobby. And consoles can do so much more than game these days, they're an essential part of one's entertainment center. It's why the look of consoles has evolved from appealing to kids to the sleek boxes of today that appeal to adults.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Very good point although we carry our phones everywhere with us and they do a lot for us in our daily lives. We don't bring our game consoles with us to the store, work, church, etc. They just sit at home hooked, in one place, hooked up to the television.

True, but you can get the same functionality with a 5-700 USD phone as the flagships.

Now if a $500 console has near zero load times and a fast responsive ui and a $400 one doesn’t, well that is worth it to me anyway.

Still, we’ll see how the market reacts. I think that is why a march release would be a good thing. You get the early adopters buying several million + one holiday and if sales are slow after that, then you reduce price.

Ixiah

Banned
Sooo...do these Specs mean we get 4k/60 AND Ray Tracing ?
OR will we need to buy Ps5 Pro for that ?

Skyr

Sooo...do these Specs mean we get 4k/60 AND Ray Tracing ?
OR will we need to buy Ps5 Pro for that ?
giphy.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
pretty sure sony will ask $700 to $900 for this.
ray tracing only works on RTX as we all know,
and 8k cant even work on RTX2080ti ($1300)
so it has to even be better, Pushing gaming as we know it.
Too expensive, it needs to be affordable.

EverydayBeast

Sony has a good chance to start the PS5 launch at the right price, at the same time they and people will also want to upgrade to the PS5 Pro mid-generation? Launching a powerful, affordable (impossible, I know) console is how it's done.
Sony repeating the PS3's launch won't be pretty. We forget that M$ just ditched the diskdrive, blu-ray should be right in the ballpark of $30-$40 a drive, so I think SONY will cut costs wherever possible.

EverydayBeast

people pay 1k for mobile phones this is pocket change
Waaaaay bigger difference, $1000.00 price launch for a console would be hilariously bad, the problem is gamers comparing this to a PC again and again.

PS5 will be the last console swansong before we all go full cloud in 2025 (or thereabouts). So Sony will push the boat out with the specs of the PS5 and the price will reflect it too. <-- (Pure speculation, so lets see how well this comment ages .. lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Roitorb

I remember paying £1200 for an Amiga in god knows what year so I have no idea why consoles have to be £400 in 2019. Just make them the best they can be.

DanielsM

Banned
Interesting article on PS5 from PCGAMER.COM - technical analysis on what was referenced in the Wired article.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-the-playstation-5-will-compare-to-future-gaming-pcs/

Some points:

CPU potentially 5-10 times faster than PS4

Graphically AMD equivalent of the RTX 2060

We have a winner! I generally agree with this article, thank you for posting.

I could also make the argument (and others have done this in the past) that going beyond 4K, even on a 65-inch TV, really doesn't mean much when you're sitting on a couch 10-15 feet away from the screen. The human eye simply can't resolve such fine details. Maybe 8K on a VR display would matter, but we still have the problem of rendering such a resolution on "mainstream" hardware. But the PS5 will have HDMI 2.1 support, which will handle up to 8K HDR displays. In short, 8K via upscaling of 4K will probably be an option. But native 7680x4320 rendering, at anything approaching reasonable (30fps or more) framerates, in a modern game with complex graphics? I strongly doubt it.

pel

Neo Member
The "trick" with the SSD is probably related to the software and to the fact that it is development with the PS5 specs in mind, 16 GB unified RAM, same way they can achive a relative low price, i dont think it will be just raw bandwith, but optimitation the way the drive interact with the system.

Price will be probably 499€ or 599€, one of the main reason the console is not coming this year is becouse they need to ramp up 7nm procces, PS5 will use at least 2 7nm chips one for CPU and other for GPU, even if they are on the same chiplet, 7nm procces for bigger chips, not smartphones, are coming later this year, 7 july, if the rumor about new Ryzen proces are true, but still is only one lab with the 7nm procces, we dont know if they have enough room to produce 10-20millions units for a PS5 stock

Please learn about GPUs. First, there is a difference between AMD TFLOPs and Nvidia TFLOPs.

Secondly, small Navi launching this year is a new arch on 7nm, offering performance around a GTX 1080 for $250 or so. What's inside the PS5 is probably that heavily customised for more performance, easily 1080 Ti levels I would guess.

That is some of the most utterly nonsensical, pie in the sky bullshit I've ever heard. Saying I don't know about graphics cards and then in the same breadth wildly speculate about how powerful PS5 NAVI is going to be and compare it to a gtx 1080ti for $100 less NEW than a USED gtx 1080 ever went for. And that card is 25-30% less powerful than a 1080ti. Console optimization doesn't get you from a gtx 1080 to a 1080ti.

This speculation is absurd given that so little about Navi's performance has actually been revealed. The only thing Navi is going to bring that is close to the miracle you're proposing is that for once, they won't have the most power hungry, thermally inefficient cards on the market.

Well... 5x that Jaguar is not impressive. Let's hope it's more like 10x faster. 2060 sounds awesome tho.
5x jaguar sounds about right and is more than a 4 core i7 with HT. Keep in mind that's still more than twice the leap from 7th to 8th in the cpu department.

Also gpus will be used even more for general compute. I do expect better than 2060 also.

Last edited:

Neuewelt

Neo Member
News from Digitimes - perhaps gives a better timeframe when to expect PS5 in 2020:

“AMD 7nm chips for next-generation PlayStation to be ready in 3Q20”

Reactions: TLZ

Shifty1897

I dont know but a higher price console seems like it's coming but we could witness also tier types of PS5 version. Start saving now lol

This is a good point. It would be smart for Sony to release a 399 SKU and a 599 SKU based on whether you want to output in 1080p or native/checkerboard 4K.

ZywyPL

Banned
The SSDs are sure expensive, but bare ind mind guys we're talking about retail price, where the margins can get as high as 50-60%, so from the initial 300$ we're left with 120-150$. And then again, Sony and MS will order tens of millions of those, so the price goes even lower, I won't be surprised if they'll get those SSDs for about 100$, or even slightly below. That being said, Cerny mentioned about Blu-ray drive, but not UHD BD specifically, so I guess this is where the price compensation for SSD will come from, again.

HeresJohnny

Well, a *LOT* has changed, right? Great GPUs were once in the $200-300 range - now they're over $1000. Smart phones weren't a thing in the past - the prices have increased with each year and droves of people buy them yearly.

I agree that a high price can be a huge barrier but I don't think we can look exclusively at the past to determine anything.

I do think this is why Microsoft is planning two machines, though. A high-end machine for those willing to spend the cash and a low-end machine.
A lot has changed, but the market hasn't. There's still no evidence a $500 (or higher) machine will sell, but plenty that it won't. It's not a money thing; it's the perception of the device. People are buying Ford trucks for $70 grand and (like you said) thousand dollar smartphones, but they don't want to spend over 4 bucks for a gallon of gas or a gallon of milk, which are necessities for living. Consoles are considered toys to most non-enthusiasts, and that's why (imo), they struggle to sell for more money. I collect watches, and to me, it's completely reasonable to buy a watch for 2 grand, but to most people, a few hundred on a watch is excessive, especially when their phone has one built in. I can appreciate the different complications and movements in a watch from an horological perspective, but to most people, it's something you slap on your wrist to tell the time. To most, there's not any value in buying a Sinn over a Timex, and never mind an Omega or a Rolex. Consoles are perceived very much the same way imo, many can appreciate them, but even more don't want to invest much to get involved with one, especially when their phone has access to games on it, which they already own.

dark10x

Consoles are perceived very much the same way imo, many can appreciate them, but even more don't want to invest much to get involved with one, especially when their phone has access to games on it, which they already own.
I kinda feel like the perception of consoles today is not the same as it was. It has changed over time.

HeresJohnny

I disagree. People didn't want to spend money for consoles because they were buying them for their kids and consoles were seen as toys. Now the kids have grown up and are buying consoles for themselves and are willing to invest a lot of cash for their hobby. And consoles can do so much more than game these days, they're an essential part of one's entertainment center. It's why the look of consoles has evolved from appealing to kids to the sleek boxes of today that appeal to adults.
There's some truth to that, but for every guy like me, who has stuck around since the 70s, there are 99 who have moved on from the hobby imo. You're right that the average age has climbed over the last decade to a group with far more disposable income, but when that income is competing with things like cars, savings for college educations, vacations and what have you, you can see that an older audience brings its own set of limitations with it, the most important being the time to play. As I've gotten older I find it getting harder to find the time to play, whereas just a decade ago I'd be up all night playing games.

And I wouldn't say they're an essential part of the entertainment center, either. In fact, my consoles are all upstairs on their own setup while the downstairs television where everyone gathers and does most of the watching in the house has nothing but a cable box and a blu ray player.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The SSDs are sure expensive, but bare ind mind guys we're talking about retail price, where the margins can get as high as 50-60%, so from the initial 300$ we're left with 120-150$. And then again, Sony and MS will order tens of millions of those, so the price goes even lower, I won't be surprised if they'll get those SSDs for about 100$, or even slightly below. That being said, Cerny mentioned about Blu-ray drive, but not UHD BD specifically, so I guess this is where the price compensation for SSD will come from, again.

I think PS5 should and will have a UHD Blu-Ray drive, 4K is now quite mainstream, they got a lot of flak for not having it on PS4 Pro, and they are already not too expensive (Xbox One S added one a long time ago) and they will be cheaper next year.

I think I agree with the idea of a very optimised software stack for I/O and say a very fast like PCI-E 4.x interface for the disk plus a massive embedded 512+ GB flash cache the system OS manages for you.

You would be able to swap the disk if you wanted and see better performance, but it would be easier to buy a disk that works with it well.

HeresJohnny

Things change and hardware evolve buddy cant expect everything to be the same since stone age

Like i said you wont be getting Navi for PS5 with $400. A watered down Vega is the closest you can get
Your statement alone is exactly why it's an issue. Most of the public doesn't know or care what a Navi or a Vega is. They want to play the next GTA. How much they are willing to pay to do so is the question at hand. You are looking at this strictly through the lens of an enthusiast. You need to look at it from the perspective of someone who doesn't live and breathe this shit. This is the person that determines whether a system is successful or not.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is a good point. It would be smart for Sony to release a 399 SKU and a 599 SKU based on whether you want to output in 1080p or native/checkerboard 4K.

Arrogant Sony at it again, trying a PS3 disastrous approach... PS5 IS $599” that would be the conversation and the $399 SKU would be regarded as a cheap and bad SKU nobody would want to buy... developing two wildly different SoC’s like that would be crazy expensive too.

Last edited:
pretty sure sony will ask $700 to $900 for this.
ray tracing only works on RTX as we all know,
and 8k cant even work on RTX2080ti ($1300)
so it has to even be better, Pushing gaming as we know it.

Lol can't tell if serious. Not a chance they're crazy enough to price it that high. $500 tops. $400 has long been the sales sweet spot. That isn't gonna change.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

We didn't used to have 1500 dollar iPhones and kids spending a hundred dollars in fortnite. I've seen plenty of people who with their income shouldn't be buying these things but they do in droves.

Fif.teen.hundred. dollar PHONES.

And 500 bucks for a 7ish year investment is some great hurdle? Lol. Don't even give me that phones do more, because bro, if they just needed to use the phone they wouldn't spend that much. These are highly expensive toys.
If you believe a phone and a console hold the same mindshare for the average buyer then I don't know what to tell you. The two could not be more different.

HeresJohnny

I kinda feel like the perception of consoles today is not the same as it was. It has changed over time.
Agreed, but I don't know that the change in perception has led us to a place where they can charge more for them. But based on this news from Sony it would appear we are about to find out. It will be exciting to see nonetheless. My issue is that this market relies on a healthy Sony. You can have Microsoft off acting a fool, and Nintendo doing whatever Nintendo does, but Sony is the pacesetter in the industry. If they do something that turns out to be bad for the market it will ripple down and have an effect across a lot of areas. This may sound hyperbolic, but think about it: since 1995 or so, this industry has had a consistent form of leadership in Sony which led to hundreds of millions of consoles being sold each generation. When the PS3 was released it not only hurt Sony, but the market, and it took both a while to recover from it. I sincerely hope they aren't about to do something stupid.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Consoles are considered toys to most non-enthusiasts, and that's why (imo), they struggle to sell for more money.
As an enthusiast, what am I supposed to see a console as if not a toy? I sure see it as a toy and use it as such.

dark10x

Agreed, but I don't know that the change in perception has led us to a place where they can charge more for them. But based on this news from Sony it would appear we are about to find out. It will be exciting to see nonetheless. My issue is that this market relies on a healthy Sony. You can have Microsoft off acting a fool, and Nintendo doing whatever Nintendo does, but Sony is the pacesetter in the industry. If they do something that turns out to be bad for the market it will ripple down and have an effect across a lot of areas. This may sound hyperbolic, but think about it: since 1995 or so, this industry has had a consistent form of leadership in Sony which led to hundreds of millions of consoles being sold each generation. When the PS3 was released it not only hurt Sony, but the market, and it took both a while to recover from it. I sincerely hope they aren't about to do something stupid.
Well, honestly, I'm fairly sure that PS5 and the next Xbox (the higher-end model) will use pretty much the same components so I don't imagine there will be a large gap there. Sony was aggressive with PS4 pricing. We'll see what happens.

The wild card here is the low-end Xbox that MS is also seemingly planning. The two-pronged approach is fascinating but I'm not sure it'll be a good idea if it really is weaker than Xbox One X. I get the idea of wanting a low-cost next-gen offering for those who don't want to shell out, though.

Meh3D

How do you factor in the recently announced 249.99 Xbox One S disc-less edition in that scenario?

Last edited:

dark10x

How do you factor in the recently announced 249.99 Xbox One S disc-less edition in that scenario?
I think 249 is way too high and I hope it poisons the well for digital-only consoles. I have no interest in a digital-only machine.

I think $149 would have pulled people in, though, but $249 is nuts. It's basically like the PSP Go in that sense but likely without the CFW potential (at least for now).

Top Bottom