• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: The Witcher 3 patch 1.03 performance analysis (PS4/XB1)

Kezen

Banned
After having taken a closer look at both versions I'm genuinely impressed by how well the Xbox One version holds up. I thought the hardware difference between the two would lead to more significant improvements on PS4, I guess I've overestimated how meaningful this gap truly is.

omonimo

Banned
After having taken a closer look at both versions I'm genuinely impressed by how well the Xbox One version holds up. I thought the hardware difference between the two would lead to more significant improvements on PS4, I guess I've overestimated how meaningful this gap truly is.
I think 1080p and AF would count something :/ still ps4 it's locked to 20 fps with lower fps, it's not all that hardware fault.

RPGam3r

I was being sarcastic...look at the posts above mine.

I agree its the most immersive, detailed, painstakingly created world I've ever played. There is just so much content its mind boggling. You'd have to be insane to call the Witcher 3 the product of laziness lol.

Sorry I didn't catch the sarcasm!

coastel

Yea I am selling my PS4 for a xbox 1 now, really pissed off at all these game's ( maybe a handful) looking and performing better on the xbox 1.

RPGam3r

I'll tell you of another reality, is that we pay $60.00 for these games. If it were free I'd agree with you.

Is this for real? This is why I can't tell sarcasm from real comments. I would pay way more than $60 for a game with this content and caliber.

Free. I'm not sure how serious to take this type of statement?

bombshell

I thought a PC guy like you would know the meaning of pushing 44% more pixels.

omonimo

Banned
Why? If you are comparing it to PC then you already know the answer.
Well I agree in part. They should use less detailed NPC models or popin the poly counts like the most developers used to do. Some tech choice are quite bizzarre. Even the LOD it's too much high considering the console specs. They need to be a bit more cynic with such hardware.

tuxfool

Banned

Sure it holds up in close up shots on YT. But as soon as you look at scenes with a lot of depth you start to see the effects of a lowered resolution, where the AA simply cannot mask the lack of pixels.

Kezen

Banned
I think 1080p and AF would count something :/ still ps4 it's locked to 20 fps with lower fps, it's not all that hardware fault.
900p to 1080p, is it really the full extent of the gap between the two consoles ? When looking at the specs I believed more could be achieved, but it seems like the graphical capabilities of the two consoles are much, much closer than I expected.

Yea I am selling my PS4 for a xbox 1 now, really pissed off at all these game's ( maybe a handful) looking and performing better on the xbox 1.
That's not something you should infer from my post. That's absolutely not what I wrote, I merely said the Xbox One is a lot closer to the PS4 than what I expected considering the paper specs.

jmaine_ph

Not comparing it actually. But the vendor stations,, there should be at least 1 person there to sell goods. Does the vendor just appear out of thin air when you walk up to buy something?
Well it all depends on the time of day. They all run on different schedules and sometimes they are not there and are sleeping. I actually found that to be really cool

omonimo

Banned
900p to 1080p, is it really the full extent of the gap between the two consoles ? When looking at the specs I believed more could be achieved, but it seems like the graphical capabilities of the two consoles are much, much closer than I expected.

That's not something you should infer from my post. That's absolutely not what I wrote, I merely said the Xbox One is a lot closer to the PS4 than what I expected considering the paper specs.
They are closer than expected for a single game where developers claimed (their word) it was a lot easier for them work on xone? And Dying Light or Project Car what are? Missed in the oblivion?

jmaine_ph

Well I agree in part. They should use less detailed NPC models or popin the poly counts like the most developers used to do. Some tech choice are quite bizzarre. Even the LOD it's too much high considering the console specs. They need to be a bit more cynic with such hardware.
Yea it's seems to be this mindset of trying to get every platform on the same level but that's just don't fair anymore.

thelastword

Banned
Is this for real? This is why I can't tell sarcasm from real comments. I would pay way more than $60 for a game with this content and caliber.

Maybe you would pay more, but I won't pay $60.00 for this game in this state.

And nothing I've said is hard to understand, it's pretty simple actually. I want a game that's actually finished, optimized and ready before it's pressed, packaged and placed on shelves. I don't think that's too far-fetched and... NO, I don't feel like I should pay more than $60.00 for that either.

One of the most hilarious posts I've seen here yet, especially coming from someone who is primarily a pc gamer who should understand the impact gpus have on game performance.
Just going to ignore the vast majority of games which run at a higher res and/or better framerate on ps4 and cherrypick the handful that run better on xbox one right ?
But of course its the hardware at fault and not a fuckup by the devs!

RPGam3r

Maybe you would pay more, but I won't pay $60.00 for this game in this state.

And nothing I've said is hard to understand, it's pretty simple actually. I want a game that's actually finished, optimized and ready before it's pressed, packaged and placed on shelves. I don't think that's too far-fetched and NO, I don't feel like I should pay more than $60.00 for that either.

I think what you're asking for is too much in he connected word we live in. Patching is something we all have to deal with, it isn't going away.

And I think saying free is hyperbolic that it is very hard to understand.

omonimo

Banned
Yea it's seems to be this mindset of trying to get every platform on the same level but that's just don't fair anymore.
My bet it's they will gradually decrease the LOD in the patch incoming. Thing is it's a double edged practice. They should do this from the beginning. No one would noticed it. Now everyone will notice the difference.

Well it all depends on the time of day. They all run on different schedules and sometimes they are not there and are sleeping. I actually found that to be really cool

Agreed... but the time of day in that footage is early morning and there should be people about.

I have a huge backlog and The Witcher 3 is headed to the bottom of it. I would be so pissed if I had not gotten this for only $40.

ouch!

Yeah, it's pretty crazy how console versions still seem like a work in progress. That being said, CDPR are also awesome about their post release support.

Chinner

Banned

i wouldn't worry, just another entitled gamer out to prove that he's better than everyone else.

It's too bad people still fight tooth and nail against graphics options in console games. A choice between 900p/1080p and maybe the addition of a "Low Quality" mode might do wonders for this game on PS4.

To be honest, I after upgraded to a new motherboard/i5-4690k/780 last summer I spent more time playing with graphic settings and drivers and watching framerate counters than actually playing and enjoying the games. Thats the main reason I went back to the ps4.

t0rment

i don't see any reason to buy a game day one now. the devs delay the game for 3 months and it still come out full of bugs and issues. incompetent people are something.

maybe 2 months from now i'll be playing this without most of the issues.

BigDug13

Games that have a marketing deal with Xbox (like AC Unity) seem to have more development resources given to the Xbox version, making it more polished and better performing. At least that's what I've noticed so far.

coastel

You overestimated how meaningful the gap is from this game only? You could of said the same about any other multiplat. Seems right to me with the resolution advantage of the ps4 and from what I have seen a few other areas to. The framerate we don't really know if this is due to it needing more tinkering. Which seem's would be the case if you look at framerate differences on other games, even those where xbox has a better framerate. Now you can't complain when people say they see no meaningful differences from PC to consoles, we cant see the better framerates in screens after all. I know what your intention was with the post.

O_O all these games, like?

Just look at this game the water is far better on the xbox 1, I love water and the framerate advantage is a bonus.

thelastword

Banned
One of the most hilarious posts I've seen here yet, especially coming from someone who is primarily a pc gamer who should understand the impact gpus have on game performance.
Just going to ignore the vast majority of games which run at a higher res and/or better framerate on ps4 and cherrypick the handful that run better on xbox one right ?
But of course its the hardware at fault and not a fuckup by the devs!
I think the PC guys are just trolling at this point and trying to bait a response. There's no way any PC gamer believes that. It would be hilarious if the 750ti outperforms the TitanX in a benchmark, I'd love to hear the views of Titan-X owners or persons making these claims. Any card at least 40% better or above would do. I'd love to hear the take of 970 GTX owners if such a thing happened. (That's a popular card.)

Use triple buffering and drop the resolution on PS4. Seems like it would help a lot.

I do think frame-rate issues are exacerbated by the somewhat jerky animation and controls. Even at 60fps the game does not feel good to play at all.

Compared to something like a Souls game or Bloodborne (just in terms of character animation and movement) it feels really sub-par.

Agree

It's def an improvement over Witcher 2's janky-ass controls (couldn't even finish the game cause it just not fun to actually play), but yeah, it still feels just un-fun/awkward to control as opposed to something like Dragon's Dogma, which is the new god-damned standard as far as I'm concerned (in regards to open-world RPGs),

Bluenoser

I'd love to see a DF analysis for the battle sequence between
Ciri and Whoreson's men in Temple district
. Frames falling through the floor. Worst by far I've experienced in the game.

omonimo

Banned
You overestimated how meaningful the gap is from this game only? You could of said the same about any other multiplat. Seems right to me with the resolution advantage of the ps4 and from what I have seen a few other areas to. The framerate we don't really know if this is due to it needing more tinkering. Which seem's would be the case if you look at framerate differences on other games, even those where xbox has a better framerate. Now you can't complain when people say they see no meaningful differences from PC to consoles, we cant see the better framerates in screens after all. I know what your intention was with the post.

Just look at this game the water is far better on the xbox 1, I love water and the framerate advantage is a bonus.
You can't be serious. Water uses the same setting of the ps4. And what others multiplat are better looking on xone exactly?

I can't believe how empty the city is for the console versions.. that's crazy to me.

Really?? More NPCs walking around on PC?

Link please? This is actually big, I'd like to see how "full" this game can be. I didn't think they'd cut that out of consoles, but it's nice to hear there are more on PC

xerneas

Banned
i was wrong about these consoles. before they were released, i was confident that since so much time had passed since the ps3/360 were released, then surely we would be getting some powerful hardware capable of meeting modern gaming expectations for graphics and performance. 1080p @ 60 fps isn't that much of a stretch for games in 2015. it's completely reasonable to expect modern consoles to be able to output games with these metrics.

and yet, game after game, both consoles continually struggle to do this. it's really disappointing to see. you either sacrifice resolution/graphical fidelity, fps, or in some cases, both. if there will be another generation of consoles from sony and microsoft, i truly hope they include far more powerful cpus within their systems.

Are you sure the NPCs werent just...somewhere else? Lol

Thanks for the link btw, I do see extra guards and stuff. Id like to experience the PC version to try. I wont be able to dedicate my time to start a new file, but my PC can run this at max, so I feel stupid for not going the PC route

I'd like to see it in motion. I mean, Novigrad is huge, but the idea of lots of NPCs walking the streets would really feel next gen to me.

omonimo

Banned
i was wrong about these consoles. before they were released, i was confident that since so much time had passed since the ps3/360 were released, then surely we would be getting some powerful hardware capable of meeting modern gaming expectations for graphics and performance. 1080p @ 60 fps isn't that much of a stretch for games in 2015. it's completely reasonable to expect modern consoles to be able to output games with these metrics.

and yet, game after game, both consoles continually struggle to do this. it's really disappointing to see. you either sacrifice resolution/graphical fidelity, fps, or in some cases, both. if there will be another generation of consoles from sony and microsoft, i truly hope they include far more powerful cpus within their systems.
Should be tagged in every thread. I mean, how many times we needs to repeat this concept? God.

thelastword

Banned
i wouldn't worry, just another entitled gamer out to prove that he's better than everyone else.
No doubt. I guess I should just plop the $60.00 and be thankful that CDPR has delivered this amazing product to gamers. I should probably pay them double that for their troubles..... Gamers are so ungrateful these days...

coastel

Should be tagged in every thread. I mean, we have to read this concept? God.

Yea but they are not capable of running every game at 1080/60fps though. I messed with the console setting's but I just can't seem to get a solid 1080/30fps let alone 60.

Top Bottom