• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Thief for Xbox One edges out the PS4 version

Heh. What's going on?

Well that game is a complicated case . it's a old engine not made for next-gen ad quickly ported , not to mention that the old engine was made with the Cell in mind ... and you got this result ... it's quite different from the case in Thief that we are all discussing...

Sasukekun

Neo Member
Now THIS is where we can scream 'Lazy devs' really.
Poorly kept frame rates despite sub par graphics.
Neither version has anything to crow about and considering how the game doesn't really push anything in terms of looks then parity should have been the worst case scenario.

Giffed:
thief28slmz.gif
[/QUOTE
Something isn't right...

the_gapqlpov.png
[/QUOTE

Batman-Chin-Rub.gif

hmm

IN&OUT

Banned
Heh.

DF ignored the resolution and the framerates advantages for PS4 and went for filtering solution to an identical picture quality?

LOL.

Congratulations to Xbone beating the PS4 for the first time, according to DF. The war has become stale and boring, since it basically was not a war, but a beat down.

It's ironic though that the Xbone version has won with the expected inferior performance and the absence of true HD resolution. But this time it's a virtue! The tradeoff has ''edged'' the Xbone version over the PS4.

A win is a win. The streak has been broken. Chalk one up for Xbone for having better filtering, the war is heating up. DF, we eagerly await your next analysis.

Jesus. Sometimes this place sucks. I hope this is a joke.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Didn't AF play merry hell with POM in Crysis? Anyone who knows more about the techniques could possibly enlighten us here.

Is it possible that AF has been disabled in the PS4 version because they thought POM was more important?

And can anyone confirm that POM is missing in the Xbox One version? Perhaps a PC owner of this game could do some tests.

The PC version (of Thief) supports AF + POM so I don't think the issue is incompatibility.

Congratulations to Xbone beating the PS4 for the first time, according to DF. The war has become stale and boring, since it basically was not a war, but a beat down.

It's ironic though that the Xbone version has won with the expected inferior performance and the absence of true HD resolution. But this time it's a virtue! The tradeoff has ''edged'' the Xbone version over the PS4.

A win is a win. The streak has been broken. Chalk one up for Xbone for having better filtering, the war is heating up. DF, we eagerly await your next analysis.

Is this real life?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Hahahaha, holy shit. I thought 16xAF was trivial for modern GPUs, why is the PS4 using trilinear filtering?
Why are you quoting an image that is showing texture streaming problems that might caused by the PlayGo system instead of the image that shows the difference in texture filtering when talking about texture filtering?

heyf00L

This is certainly an oversight by the team that made the PS4 build.

Trilinear is probably the default and AF just needs to enabled.

Still, the main story to me is how much better the PC version runs.

Hahahaha, holy shit. I thought 16xAF was trivial for modern GPUs, why is the PS4 using trilinear filtering?
Im pretty sure that screen is talking about the texture streaming and not the texture filtering. Its blurry like that on the ps4 because the textures have not loaded yet.

Daingurse

Why are you quoting an image that is showing texture streaming problems that might caused by the PlayGo system instead of the image that shows the difference in texture filtering when talking about texture filtering?

I'm primarily quoting it, because it's hilarious looking.

Taker34

Banned
So, this is already a 24 page thread. Digital Foundry obviously did a bad job on this comparison - sloppy work at best. How come they didn't update the article yet? No one can ignore GAF for too long.

Reese-015

I think in the beginning the original Crysis couldn't do anisotropic filtering when parallax mapping was on... Seems like Thief does parallax on the PS4 and not on Xbox One so I guess that's why it only does trilinear filtering on PS4?

lmao DF clearly recieves checks from MS

brb ps4 version has better resolution and higher framerate. neither version runs great but of the two ps4 obviously wins.

Both of these consoles are a joke if they have drops to 20-25 in a slightly above average looking cross-gen game like this. It's not even fully open-world, right? They're city hubs like Human Revolution?

Yes I know it's still early in the gen but still not acceptable.

StevieP

Banned
Both of these consoles are a joke if they have drops to 20-25 in a slightly above average looking cross-gen game like this. It's not even fully open-world, right? They're city hubs like Human Revolution?

I thought you have a modern gaming rig? If you do it likely has higher end hardware than what either console is packing and would provide you with the better experience that digital foundry is saying you'll get

comparing a 3rd party release like this means almost nothing as far as which console is more capable or how significant the difference is, especially this early on.

Compare the first party offerings of each console and call it a day. I think they're fairly close but i love having crisp 1080p on PS4 titles. I recently got to actually play forza and it looked nice too. A little too many 2D elements in the environment, but it did look and play very nice.

SeanTSC

This is less about the Xbone and PS4's power and potential and more about how terrible Thief's engine and port jobs are. Thief went through Development Hell and it clearly shows.

Sasukekun

Neo Member
AF has been used with several PS4 games iirc. There's no reason why it'd be left out of Thief.

Is UE known for texture stream issues?

StevieP

Banned
This is less about the Xbone and PS4's power and potential and more about how terrible Thief's engine and port jobs are. Thief went through Development Hell and it clearly shows.

It may have gone through development hell but the consoles can't brute force their way to running the game well as the PC does. That is related to their hardware of course

Gaz_RB

I'd blame the developers optimization effort/skill before making an opinion on the two consoles. It's fairly badly optimized on PC as well.

Waaghals

You don't need articles to know that, right?

PC version with doubled resolution and doubled framerate with every effect is nothing versus the AF/24 or 20 fps/I miss the pom/streaming talk.

Obviously. My point was that the article criticizes both the console versions, claiming that they both have weaknesses and that PC is the place to be, more so than usual.

The fact that the ranking of the two distant losers in question really isn't that interesting, I think. Even in the context of a technical discussion.

I think this because both console versions are of so low quality that we, as consumers, should stay away.

I'm not thread whining, I enjoy most discussions of this kind here, but with both console versions being a mess I have trouble seeing how the difference between the two is all that interesting. It sure as heck does not tell us much about their respective capabilities.

I'd blame the developers optimization effort/skill before making an opinion on the two consoles. It's fairly badly optimized on PC as well.

prety much

look at the upcoming infamous SS, that should show us more about the true power of ps4. Thief seems like a shoddy cross gen port.

you can't jude a new console based off of cross gen ports. tons of developers are still focusing on x360 and ps3.

Not having any issues with the PC version here. Game runs at 60 fps maxed out at 1440p.

Kinda want to wait until it has TrueAudio support to play it with my headphones, though.

Edit: I'm on a 290x

notBald

LOL @ all the DF haters.

I have not played Thief on any system, but I do know that trilinear filtering can look very ugly at times. On my crappy PC I never go bellow 8xAF, instead I drop resolution.

But... I don't think the typical gamer will notice the lack of AF. I would have given the win to PS4 based on that. The lower resolution impacts everyone, while the lack of AF irks only us few. I now wonder if forgoing AF will be common this generation. It does seem that the majority of folks in this thread prefer the AF free PS4 version, IOW developers should always drop AF in favor of resolution if they can't have both.

hesido

The blurry flag texture has 0.000000000001 to do with filtering method, it seems to be just a streaming issue, possibly intermittent. In one of the gifs, you can see it loads and displays the higher quality texture while the camera gets further from the flag.

Top Bottom