• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Thief for Xbox One edges out the PS4 version

If you don't use AF you can get some bad shimmering in certain games.
Bi-linear can help but usually ends up giving you ultra blurry textures at different distances.
Tri-linear is an improvement over Bi-Linear except you get some strange looking crap depending on camera angles. It's fine for some things but pretty crappy looking in others.
AF fixes all this shit.

AF is what all next gen games need.
However, I can see how someone would prefer some games at lower resolution with AF than a higher resolution without it. (I probably would depending on the game) It also doesn't matter to me if certain games are 30fps or 40fps as neither are 60fps so, neither will match a proper refresh rate. So if given the choice between 1600x900 @ 30fps with AF vs 1920x1080 @ 30fps without AF. I may choose the lower resolution depending on the display being used.

In the end DF could be "subjectively" correct here.

Qassim

750ti only has about half the bandwidth, half the ROPs, and half the Flops of PS4.
So this is obviously a bad port due to dev software.

Well, not half FLOP/s. It's 1.3TFLOP/s and 16ROPs, it's closer to the Xbox One spec. But yeah - you're right about memory bandwidth and ROPs.

coldfoot

Banned
DF is like fox news of graphics comparison it seems...
First, I thought aniso was free in these new modern GPU's for both consoles, so isn't that a bug?
Second, presenting texture streaming issues as if they're always not streamed is cheap and dare I say it, on purpose. Also they don't state if they wait for the game to be fully installed on the PS4 version.

Anisotropic Filtering is almost free with modern gpus. If the min fps of 20 on xbone and 24 on ps4 is true, enabling AF on ps4 should still give it min fps greater than xbone. With Strider and now Thief, it seems like there's a bug in Sony's SDK right now. Hopefully, it will be fixed soon.

This.. even with 16x enabled the game should be running at or better than the X1 framerate.

But yeah, they should have done that or lowered the resolution, because trilinear doesn't look good.

It seems like every time the Playstation platform is the better version, there is some sort of controversy with DF.

Back in the day when 360 was winning everything, the articles were fairly uninteresting from a narrative point of view. The author would say the 360 is better for and x and y, yada yada yada, please buy the 360 version. Sure they would stretch the truth or exaggerate the difference but the verdict was the same, like with Bayonetta he would boast the 360s hardware or with Red Dead he would emphasis certain words like:

Although thats nothing compared to the difference now.

When Playstation comes out on top, theres the developer to blame for not tapping the 360 hardware (FF13), capture issues (BF4), leap of logic (Thi4f), etc. Considering we are still in the beginning of the hardware cycle, it will be interesting to see how much longer this can continue.

All I want is an explanation for why last time around there were "significant" resolution differences but the difference between 900p and 1080p and 720 vs 1080 is no big deal.

Is there anyone that can explain this to me. All these neutral gaming sites seem to have changed their wording overnight.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The overall level of performance of both consoles is sub par to say the least. This is going to be a long generation.

This and BF4 are the only games that have had disappointing performance on PS4, and BF4 is so much of a rush job that it probably could have fared better and both platforms have games that look and run better than this game.

Reallink

Bi-linear can help but usually ends up giving you ultra blurry textures at different distances.
Tri-linear is an improvement over Bi-Linear except you get some strange looking crap depending on camera angles. It's fine for some things but pretty crappy looking in others.
AF fixes all this shit.

However, I can see how someone would prefer some games at lower resolution with AF than a higher resolution without it. (I probably would depending on the game) It also doesn't matter to me if certain games are 30fps or 40fps as neither are 60fps so, neither will match a proper refresh rate. So if given the choice between 1600x900 @ 30fps with AF vs 1920x1080 @ 30fps without AF. I may choose the lower resolution depending on the display being used.

Their argument seems to be principally based on both versions use of FXAA (or Blur Filter AA as it's aptly dubbed), so you're probably not talking about a razor sharp 1080p output anyways.

Skeff

AF fixes all this shit.

there is also the less shitty framerate on PS4 and possibly lacking Parallax mapping on XB1.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Their argument seems to be principally based on both versions use of FXAA (or Blur Filter AA as it's aptly dubbed), so you're probably not talking about a razor sharp 1080p output anyways.

What are you talking about? FXAA is high quality post-processing, everybody knows that

Pistolero

What I find surprising is the fact that such a game couldn't run smoothly on either plateform. It's not a looker by any stretch of the language...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What are you talking about? FXAA is high quality post-processing, everybody knows that

LOL

BTW since we're talking about FXAA does Tomb Raider DE on PS4 actually use it? The game is way too sharp and the AA is too temporally stable to be any kind of FXAA solution I've seen before.

Melchiah

It seems like every time the Playstation platform is the better version, there is some sort of controversy with DF.

Back in the day when 360 was winning everything, the articles were fairly uninteresting from a narrative point of view. The author would say the 360 is better for and x and y, yada yada yada, please buy the 360 version. Sure they would stretch the truth or exaggerate the difference but the verdict was the same, like with Bayonetta he would boast the 360s hardware or with Red Dead he would emphasis certain words like:

This entails a full 720p resolution on Xbox 360 along with 2x multi-sampling anti-aliasing. PlayStation 3 on the other hand renders at a significantly lower resolution: 1152x640, with a very selective implementation of the blur-inducing quincunx anti-aliasing.

Although thats nothing compared to the difference now.

When Playstation comes out on top, theres the developer to blame for not tapping the 360 hardware (FF13), capture issues (BF4), leap of logic (Thi4f), etc. Considering we are still in the beginning of the hardware cycle, it will be interesting to see how much longer this can continue.

This is exactly what I was pointing at as well; 1280x720 vs. 1152x640 used to be a significant difference, but now 1920x1080 vs. 1600x900/1280x720 is negligible. DF may well kiss the last remaining shreds of their credibility goodbye.

It's a good thing then, that you can go play on PC and stop paying attention to console graphics comparisons.

As far as I'm aware Digital Foundry's comparison was between XB1, PS4 and PC. I'm sorry that you don't like the outcome but you'd better get used to it, you'll be seeing it a lot over the next few years.

Man you really gotta be on the clock to even be bothered by a shitty port of a shitty game. Could've saved the repeat line for another time.

Right.

KageMaru

Makes me wonder if the texture filtering issue is a bug. I can see the lack of proper filtering being more apparent than the resolution or frame rate gap, so their conclusion makes sense. Now that would obviously change if they get the filtering sorted out on the ps4.

Don't see the big deal about this face off really.

StuBurns

Banned
As far as I'm aware Digital Foundry's comparison was between XB1, PS4 and PC. I'm sorry that you don't like the outcome but you'd better get used to it, you'll be seeing it a lot over the next few years.
Really? You endorse this do you?
Given that all other settings are a match between next-gen platforms, the Xbox One release - surprisingly - stacks up favourable against a maxed-out PC playthrough.

GetemMa

When hasn't PC been able to outperform $400 consoles?

My GPU alone cost substantially more than the PS4. I would hope it would be better performance wise.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
This game seems to be CPU limited and not optimised for XBOX/PS4.

A cross-gen game should really run at 1080p 60fps.

Fox Engine shows how it should be done.

NBtoaster

Their conclusions are sensible. The resolution difference is not obvious. It's a dark game which reduces visible aliasing and the AF difference means textures are blurrier on PS4 anyway. They say the texture streaming is a minor issue that doesn't manifest for very long in gameplay.

Both versions have framerate problems with jerky stuttering. The X1 drops slightly harder, but its not a relevant difference because of how unpleasant the stuttering is on both.

Both games are technical disappointments, as they said.

TheKayle

Banned
so after 26 pages like we was waiting to see...seem that also when DF come with a statment they are wrong...i love you gaf ahahah

HTupolev

All I want is an explanation for why last time around there were "significant" resolution differences but the difference between 900p and 1080p and 720 vs 1080 is no big deal.

Is there anyone that can explain this to me. All these neutral gaming sites seem to have changed their wording overnight.
Oh, it's simple.

iOD0yHnogtUNh.PNG

NBtoaster

They've never said 1080p vs 720p is no big deal.

M_A_C

Not suprisingly, it's written by the same guy.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-need-for-speed-rivals-next-gen-face-off

Looks like they changed the original article and replaced it with this text:

Based on direct confirmation from Ghost Studios' rendering engineer, Andreas Brinck, the PS4 also gives us the more accurate horizon-based ambient occlusion (HBAO), as seen on the PC's maximum settings. By comparison, the Xbox One relies on an approximate measure with its screen-space approach to shading (SSAO), producing a prominent silhouette around each car's exterior, plus a persistent shade under spoilers during a race. For the final build, all of this does indeed remain the same - leaving the PS4 with a respectable, if not spectacular, advantage in the visual stakes.

Originally they stated the Xbone version had better ambient occlusion, and Ghost had to correct him.

KORNdoggy

So was the hanging man from the intro or something? Might be more a case to wait for the game to finish installing than anything else then. Or at least give it a few minutes head start.

The hanging man is around chapter 3. Which means the game must have been fully installed. I'm guessing it's just a quirk. You might see it some times, but not others, depending on what's cached etc. much like any UE3 game really. We've seen evidence of it happening on both systems now though...shitty optimisation is shitty.

Melchiah

Personally, I don't even understand why a tech site suddenly takes a U-turn, and resorts to using subjective and questionable definitions of what is noticeable and what is not. Their job is to talk about the hardware; the pure and plain facts about how software runs on it, and acknowledge if one of the consoles is at times running the same games at twice the resolution or framerate. Their job is not to downplay the differences. Whether everyone sees (or wants to see) the differences or not is utterly insignificant, especially as that point of view was never brought forth in the PS3 vs. 360 comparisons. At least when the 360 was on the top.

I've played the game for a couple hours on PS4. The game is janky, the frame rate is pretty bad, and the dialogue is TERRIBLE, but I haven't seen texture issues like DF had.

so after 26 pages like we was waiting to see...seem that also when DF come with a statment they are wrong...i love you gaf ahahah
I have no idea what you're trying to say.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
For reference, this is what a PS3 launch title looked like back in the day:

ResistanceFallOfMan01.jpg

Resistance FOM was one of my favourite PS3 shooters. I really enjoyed that game and thought some of the graphics were amazing.

StuBurns

Banned
Yup. Did you read my previous post?
You said this:
I'm sorry that you don't like the outcome but you'd better get used to it, you'll be seeing it a lot over the next few years.

The 'outcome' you're referring to is amongst other things DF saying this:
he Xbox One release - surprisingly - stacks up favourable against a maxed-out PC playthrough.

So that is the outcome you're saying we'll be seeing a lot over the next few years. That the XBO is stacking up favorably to a maxed-out PC version.

Knowing you're a bit of an irrational PC elitist, it seems strange to me you'd back their result.

belmonkey

At least it's just a singleplayer game that one will not spend vast amounts of time with. I remember an early Xbox 360 mmo that had 36 spells, and ~10 were nearly unusable because they would immediately drop the FPS to what felt like single digits, either for you or party members too, and you'd get kicked for spamming them. The FPS could be bad, but it won't plague you for hundreds of hours online like that, at least.

Sanic

Knowing you're an irrational PC elitist, it seems strange to me you'd back their result.

What exactly is an irrational PC elitist?

But I believe the outcome he's referring to is crappy console ports, given his original post that you didn't quote.

Top Bottom