• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Three Hours with the PS4 Pro

Lynn616

I believe your understanding is wrong. They're checker-boarding higher resolutions like that per frame, then reconstructing to 4K... not checkerboarding and reconstructing to that intermediate res and then scaling...

Your understanding would make no sense given the power in the box, and they cited games that are simply doubling their resolution without any reconstructive aims for 4K (e.g. for VR), so that kind of resolution 'natively' in checkerboard patterns, reconstructed up to 4K is certainly feasible.

That sounds better for sure. I was going by what some were saying in this thread.

mattp

Can someone explain to a dummy like me when they talk about a game being 4K on the PS4 Pro, is it native 4K or it something else?

it uses upgraded hardware and some fancy gpu tricks to give you a 4k output, but its not native rendering 4k. think of it just as really fancy upscaling, so the picture is MUCH better than 1080p but not quite as good as a real 4k native render you'd get on a pc with a beefy graphics card

but considering this is coming from a 400 dollar box, i think sony did a good job balancing horsepower and price. they clearly are still being conservative with their hardware so they can actually make profit and not be stuck in another ps3 situation

Can someone explain to a dummy like me when they talk about a game being 4K on the PS4 Pro, is it native 4K or it something else?

Pro can do native 4k, and some games I'm sure will be native 4k.

However most are doing, from my understanding, a combination of techniques to achieve 4k (but obviously, not as crisp as the real thing). One of these is checkerboard rendering which Pro provides hardware wise.

Every article on every site is filled with comments saying "UPSCALE" "PS4 FAKE 4K" when most of these people have probably not even seen actual 4k in person.
Playing native 4k on pc for a while has been great but i had to shell out the money for 2 1080s (about... $2000 CAD?). Watching the ps4 pro demos on my tv has been quite extraordinary considering the price of the box.

No it's not just an upscale, plug in an OG ps4 to a 4k tv and there's your upscale.

The upscale is whatever the difference is between base resolution and 4k, if there is one. They may be checkerboarding all the way to 4k.

AFAIK it's using the checkerboard scaling method to go to 1800, then from there upscaling to 2160.

I mean, besides TLOU, what's confirmed to be a higher native render?

No it's not.
I suggest reading a little more before posting. Looks like you have a lot of catching up to do.

Shin-Ra

diaspora is pretending to be confused to try and confuse others.

I'm kinda gutted about it all being about 4k. I totally want more detail and FPS at 1080p
One guess who didn't read the article.

TLoU already does 1080p/60 with poor shadows. They're saying the Pro will let run the game with that 1080p/60 with the better shadows or native 4K at 30 frames. Probably with poor shadows (?) that part wasn't clarified.
More than not clarifying, they haven't spoken about that at all yet.

So i'm not sure if the upscaling technique either does or does not make a difference from native 4k, but i can't help but feel like if the tables were turned, and xbox again had the weaker hardware that most people would be in here hash-tagging #checkerboard4k in every post, noting its obvious weakness over rendering at a native 4k.
Xbox has the weaker hardware, much weaker now. Wait 'til you see the Battlefield 1 comparisons.

dogen

It is upscaling.

You're not generating a full 4k rendering, you're generating less and computing the rest with an algorithm. Whether that algorithm is better or worse, it is STILL upscaling.

No. Upscaling is just a simple upsize of an image. When you're talking about reconstruction that generates additional information it doesn't make sense to call it the same thing.

RootCause

so essentially - correct me if I'm fuckin up - it seems that if I'm mostly concerned with framerate and have no 4K plans, the PS4 new won't speak to me and I'm safe getting the slim?
If I'm not mistaken. Games at 1080P should have an improvement in graphics, and performance. Because of the cpu up lock, and the better gpu.

For a $100 I'd go for that one, but that's just me.

Thanks guys, I still don't get it though that's just me not understanding the finer aspects of all the cool tricks the Pro can pull.

Horizon looks glorious though, no matter the resolution.

Yeah, I would presume that any game that's already punching well below the PS4's weight (indies, remasters, mid-tier titles like what Gust, Idea Factory, etc. put out) will usually do a "true" 4K because it's not hard to do whereas anything that's pushing the hardware remotely hard will do the checkerboard thing.

My one question is: if you're running on a 1080p display, will games in Neo mode using the checkerboard thing render at 4k and then scale down to 1080p? If so, will that look worse than a native 1080p non-checkerboard render?

so essentially - correct me if I'm fuckin up - it seems that if I'm mostly concerned with framerate and have no 4K plans, the PS4 new won't speak to me and I'm safe getting the slim?

What it seems like to me is that the developers can decide what to do with that extra power on 1080p tv's. So, theoretically better framerate could definitely be something they could decide or they could focus on maxing out graphical fidelity on 1080 or some combination of both. Multiplayer games will run at same framerates to not create disadvantages but with likely better graphics. All games starting I believe in late September will have to have a "Pro" mode.

An example I can see many developers following is what Tomb Raider is said to be doing. Next Tomb Raider will have 3 modes. A 4k mode, 1080p graphical "bells and whistle" mode and also a 1080p mode with less graphical fidelity but better framerate.

Frankly, if you're concerned about better framerate AND you're definitely buying a PS4, i'd recommend spending the extra $100 for the PS4 pro. That's what i'm doing and for the foreseeable future I'll not have a 4K tv. If you have an OG PS4, it probably isn't a bad idea to wait to see some of these policies in action first.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, I would presume that any game that's already punching well below the PS4's weight (indies, remasters, mid-tier titles like what Gust, Idea Factory, etc. put out) will usually do a native 4K because it's not hard to do whereas anything that's pushing the hardware remotely hard will do the checkerboard thing.

My one question is: if you're running on a 1080p display, will games in Neo mode using the checkerboard thing render at 4k and then scale down to 1080p? If so, will that look worse than a native 1080p non-checkerboard render?
To hit checkerboard 4K it has to natively render around 2880x1620. I assume it uses that as the base for super sampling.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
No. Upscaling is just a simple upsize of an image. When you're talking about reconstruction that generates additional information it doesn't make sense to call it the same thing.

There's no "simple" upsizing. You need to some algorithm to generate the new pixels, whenever is just plain pixel duplication, to nearest-neighbor or other sampling techniques (what most TV's do) to fancier techniques that take samples from multiple frames, like the PS4 pro is doing.

Really, this controversy is hollow and just a matter of marketing shenanigans because, somehow, upscalling became a bad word. Is as stupid as anti-aliasing becoming undesirable because early incarnations of it destroyed the iq of games on the N64 days, an calling the newer techniques reconstructive edge smoothing or whatever.

RedSwirl

To hit checkerboard 4K it has to natively render around 2880x1620. I assume it uses that as the base for super sampling.

That's interesting. I wondered if some of these games would render at native 1440p or something and then use this new solution to get the rest of the way to 4K.

Personally I still care more about hitting better framerates. With my 1070 I can run a lot of games at 1440p and 60fps and even some last-gen games at 4k60, but I've stuck with 1080p for most games because 1) I'm still on a 1080p TV and have no plans to shell out for a new one anytime soon, and 2) it keeps framerates more stable. I hope more games do the Tomb Raider solution.

BroBot

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Right. Though that native resolution will vary. The dev presentation leak listed a number of resolutions, 3200x1800 was one they seemed to really want devs to try and reach.

They specifically mentioned 1440p as not really being enough, in their experience, to look substantially better when upscaled or resampled to 4K. They seem to want more than that, 1800p as a starting point, but I'm sure some games will waiver on that depending on their performance profile. And then on the other end some games will go beyond that up to 4K native.

jett

D-Member
So is there no point in buying a 4k TV without HDR?
HDR is expensive as hell tho :(

Shopping for HDR TVs is messy today, especially for gaming. Enabling HDR can greatly increase input lag. There's a Samsung TV that goes beyond 100ms in lag...

mattp

Maybe a dumb question, but won't HDR increase latency?

yep
not to mention i would imagine the game mode on most tvs turns off hdr?

i'm hoping when i finally make the jump to a 4k oled, they will have more efficient processing of hdr that doesn't create as much latency

BroBot

It doesn't have HDR over HDMI yet which is why many people hate it. It is why I returned mine and got the Samsung previously referenced instead. I have read that Hi-sense has promised an HDR over HDMI firmware update sometime this month though.

Ah okay. Hopefully they deliver on their promise.

CrazE

Banned

No, not native. They'll be doing what MS has gotten flack for all gen saying how their games are all 1080p upscaled or what have you.

RedSwirl

Is it safe to postulate that everybody's focusing on better image quality at 30fps because the CPU bottleneck is keeping a lot of these games from hitting 60fps at 1080p no matter how much they beef up the GPU?

BigEmil

Part of me wonders if the new USB connection with the PS4 controller will help alleviate HDR lag.
Couple that with TV turned to Game mode and turn off every processing feature the TV has enables by default and it should be good.

poodaddy

Damn I didn't know the upscaling reconstruction had a dedicated chip on the GPU. I wasn't caring at all until I learned that, now I'm interested. Wife would kill me if I bought this new and I don't have a 4K. Hopefully Sony has a bundle of the Pro and one of their high end 4K Bravia together so I can roll the financing plan together when the day comes.

Smokey

I would assume that since the device can render 4K output, then putting in a UHD drive would not be a problem. Looking on Amazon, the lowest cost for a UHD player is $300. I'm going to assume that they did not include one is because they may not want to steal sales away from their partners.

Thus makes zero sense, I'm sorry.

Shin-Ra

No, not native. They'll be doing what MS has gotten flack for all gen saying how their games are all 1080p upscaled or what have you.
You can give a misleading, salty, generalised answer to a question that doesn't have a singular answer all day long but you'll still be exposed for it.

orochi91

Except Sony's scaling solution seems to result in impressive IQ improvements nearing native 4K, hence the praise they're getting from DF and other reporters who've seen Pro first-hand.

This is very much not the same thing.

By this logic, Nintendo should be claiming their games are in 4k, because my tv is upscaling them to 4k.

That's not what Sony is doing here. They have a variety of other techniques going in to improve image quality. They aren't just stretching out the image and calling it 4k.

icespide

Banned
what do guys think will be the first big DF article involving a AAA game and PS4 Pro rendering modes will be? it's sure to be a very active thread here

jett

D-Member
With the new DS4s you can connect them via USB to the PS4/Pro and it will transmit data through the cord, eliminating any wireless latency. Not sure how much latency there is to begin with though.

Do you mean to tell me previous DS4s ONLY worked wirelessly, even if they were connected to the PS4 by USB?

WHAT?

HTupolev

They worked while charging. I don't get why you make that assumption. His post is clear as day.
I think jett is expressing surprise that they were using wireless transmission even while physically connected, not wondering if they didn't work at all while charging.

It is kind of odd, although to be fair, the XB1 controller dropout when you connect and disconnect a controller is sort of annoying. PS4 sticking to 1 communication method does keep it smooth.

andshrew

With the new DS4s you can connect them via USB to the PS4/Pro and it will transmit data through the cord, eliminating any wireless latency. Not sure how much latency there is to begin with though.

That's interesting. Strange it required a revision for this as I'm sure the current controllers transmit via the cable if you connect to a PC or PS3.

Top Bottom