• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Three Hours with the PS4 Pro

Da_Bears

Neo Member
I have a conundrum:

TV in living room - 65 LG 3D 4K UHD/HDR + Dolby LED TV

TV Bedroom - 55 1080 3D LED TV

Both units have a PS4 + PSVR. The conundrum, The TV in the living room is usually occupied by my husband and the PS4 he uses. He plays less games and streams Kodi.

The TV in bedroom, I play my PS4 (both systems use my purchase history to multi together) and my PSVR (he has one, but I wanted to. It mess family room set up and not share tv time so have my own headset).

So, I know the main room will benefit more from a pro purchase, but am I selling myself short getting the pro for my VR and the 1080 tv?

You will benefit on VR and games going forward with Pro. Some older games are also getting patched. You play more so why not get the benefit for 1080 of more stable frames, some will be downsampled, etc.?

BigEmil

Am I dumb for selling my launch ps4 for a pro when gaming on a 1080p TV?
Pro also includes better WiFi, Sata, newer Bluetooth and usb, more futureproof with hdr and all and more stuff outside of visual enhancements compared to launch ps4.

Downsampling is a fantastic cure to aliasing, which is an inherent benefit to rendering in higher resolutions than 1080p.

What is downsampling?

I see this thrown around to benefit 1080, but what does it do differently or to improve? The tv only will display 1080, you can't change the tv resolution?

DBT85

What is downsampling?

I see this thrown around to benefit 1080, but what does it do differently or to improve? The tv only will display 1080, you can't change the tv resolution?

You take an image thats larger than the screen you are displaying on and it shrinks it down.

You know how when you run a 720p game on a 1080 display you get jaggies everywhere? Supersampling is, and does, the opposite.

Nice clean edges everywhere.

I don't see how it does. This smells like BS. Or it's some fake HDR.

HDR is just about the range of contrast with brightness levels, it doesn't require any extra intensive processing in the PS4...it's not comparable to things like resolution or frame rate.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What is downsampling?

Downsampling is when the game runs at a higher internal resolution than the TV's base resolution.

zedge

I am well aware that they added "HDR" on the last firmware update. I am questioning whether its true HDR.

It seems it was added for the benefit of the PS4 pro which will properly support HDR in 4K. I chose to get BF1 on PS4 instead of my Xbox One S in anticipation of the better visuals and HDR support on the PRO. Even though HDR support will be added to the Xbox version.

I have Gears 4 and its fantastic in HDR. The One S has and HDMI 2.0 connection to support "true HDR" however.

It's not true HDR. There is no way. HDR required 4k and hdmi 2.0. PS4 has neither.

If MS was was doing this there would be a huge shit show.

Go google how HDR works.

I am well aware that they added "HDR" on the last firmware update. I am questioning whether its true HDR.

It seems it was added for the benefit of the PS4 pro which will properly support HDR in 4K. I chose to get BF1 on PS4 instead of my Xbox One S in anticipation of the better visuals and HDR support on the PRO. Even though HDR support will be added to the Xbox version.

I have Gears 4 and its fantastic in HDR. The One S has and HDMI 2.0 connection to support "true HDR" however.
Dude, wth are you talking about? :)

HDR needs 4K to be 'True HDR' and MIcrosoft wouldn't get away with it to have this lesser form of HDR, but then later you say that it's only the HDMI connection that's needed for 'True HDR' and it's fantastic without 4K after all? What?

Man, you yourself should google what HDR really is and leave the console bias BS for what it is :)

zedge

Dude, wth are you talking about? :)

HDR needs 4K to be 'True HDR' and MIcrosoft wouldn't get away with it to have this lesser form of HDR, but then later you say that it's only the HDMI connection that's needed for 'True HDR' and it's fantastic without 4K after all? What?

Man, you yourself should google what HDR really is and leave the console bias BS for what it is :)

I said its both, 4K output and HDMI 2.0. That is my understanding. All the current HDR content requires 4K.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_2.0

DBT85

I said its both, 4K output and HDMI 2.0. That is my understanding.

The speculation from the wonderful and crazy Jeff Rigby was that the PS4 was overspecced in the first place. While it was only labled as 1.4, it actually had the requirements to meed the as yet (at the time) unfinalised 2.0 standard.

From the people at what hifi

HDR should not be confused with the other big TV buzzword of the moment: UHD (Ultra High Definition, also known as 4K). Both HDR and UHD are meant to improve your viewing experience, but they are hugely different technologies with almost no overlap.

It’s a matter of quantity and quality: UHD is all about bumping up the pixel count, while HDR wants to make the pixels you have more accurate, regardless of resolution. Whether you’ve got a 32in unit in the bedroom or a 75in monster in the living room, HDR could make a visible difference.

Of course, while UHD and HDR are different technologies, they can still work together. All the early HDR-compatible TVs are also 4K Ultra HD TVs.

zedge

The speculation from the wonderful and crazy Jeff Rigby was that the PS4 was overspecced in the first place. While it was only labled as 1.4, it actually had the requirements to meed the as yet (at the time) unfinalised 2.0 standard.

From the people at what hifi

Thank you. I don't want to start a war here. Was honestly curious.

Have been reading through this thread also which some have said what you posted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/51n6fg/ps4_to_get_hdr_in_firmware_update/

Sony confirmed in September that all Ps4s get HDR10, and not Dolby Vision.

http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2016/09/07/playstation-4-update-will-make-every-console-hdr-compatible

Also, you don't need a 4k output for HDR, but the point is moot since they don't make 1080p HDR TVs. :/

Thanks. This makes sense.

Kikorin

I would prefer developers use the improved hardware for a stable framerate and better effects.

Maybe it's me, but I've a powerful PC (GTX 1080) and a 65" 4K TV, and I really can't see any difference from 1080p to 4k, unless I switch the two resolution really quickly. Probably this resolution is worth if you play really close, like 1 meter from the screen or similar.

Top Bottom