• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Super Bomberman R 1.3

Poppyseed

Same here. I didn't bother continuing Kirby and the Rainbow Curse because the game forces you to stare down at the Gamepad, which looked ridiculously worse than the screen right in front of me.

The Gamepad itself is also oddly soft on top of all its other problems.

Edit: you two guys are counting a 4 pixel rows difference and calling it SUB-Vita resolution? And then fail to understand getting called out for playing a pathetic numbers game (instead of actually playing and experiencing it for yourself). Yeah, neither of you totally has an agenda either. Nope.

Huh? No, obviously that it's 4 pixel rows under Vita resolution is irrelevant. It's just a reference point.

Let me put it this way:

Prior to patch 1.3, handheld mode = 1280 x 720 = 921,600 pixels
After patch 1.3, handheld mode = 960 x 540 = 518,400 pixels.

You don't need more than a basic grasp of math to understand that's one HELL of a resolution drop.

And docked?

Prior to patch 1.3, docked mode = 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels
After patch 1.3, docked mode = 1280 x 720 = 921,600 pixels.

So in handheld mode, almost half the resolution has disappeared. And in docked mode? MORE than half the resolution has been wiped away.

You really think we're just trolling/kvetching over nothing here?

Mega

Banned
I know the numbers, you don't need to post them.

Point was that both you and the other guy called Bomberman "sub Vita res" and "sad" over a stupid technicality. 960x540 is 16:9 like Switch's screen and other resolutions. The Vita is only 544p because it's double the PSP's screen. Pointing out a 4 pixel row difference to make some sort of point is beyond pathetic and petty.

I can't take you seriously skyzard when you say you have high standards but the vita was your main console for a good while there and a lot of its games didn't reach the native rez

Wow, that's crazy. What's the res of most Vita games? 322p? Probably lower than the 3DS factoring in the 3D and dual screens. Sad.

Yeah not sure why people didn't pick up on this immediately. A resolution drop was immediately noticeable to me. It looks like dogshit but what can you do? Wish they would allow an optional native res mode with uncapped framerate.

Poppyseed

I know the numbers, you don't need to post them.

Point was that both you and the other guy called Bomberman "sub Vita res" and "sad" over a stupid technicality. 960x540 is 16:9 like Switch's screen and other resolutions. The Vita is only 544p because it's double the PSP's screen. Pointing out a 4 pixel row difference to make some sort of point is beyond pathetic and petty.

Wow, that's crazy. What's the res of most Vita games? 322p? Probably lower than the 3DS factoring in the 3D and dual screens. Sad.

For the last time, it was a reference point. That we dropped from 1280 x 720 to lower than Vita res is a big deal. It's something people can relate to.

The bottom line is this is a big res drop. The end. Don't get caught up in the semantics.

Regiruler

MK8 wiiu looked terrible on the tv. I played it on the gamepad because of that, where the image looked a lot cleaner. Not to mention it had great colours and other things to look at too...whereas bomberman doesn't.
Congratulations, you beat Dan Quayle for the most bizarre thing I've read today.

Mega

Banned
For the last time, it was a reference point. That we dropped from 1280 x 720 to lower than Vita res is a big deal. It's something people can relate to.

The bottom line is this is a big res drop. The end. Don't get caught up in the semantics.

It's not lower than Vita res. It's equivalent (Vita has a slightly non-standard aspect ratio, that's it). Actually no, not equivalent when most Vita games run at an abysmal 400p. Yikes.

Makai

How is this even possible? And it used to be way worse? Barely anything is going on and the camera is almost stationary.

Skyzard

Banned
It's not lower than Vita res. It's equivalent (Vita has a slightly non-standard aspect ratio, that's it). Actually no, not equivalent when most Vita games run at an abysmal 400p. Yikes.

Technically, it's not equivalent, though I don't understand why you're hung up on the Vita in this thread.

Most games were native resolution btw.

Mega

Banned
Technically, it's not equivalent, though I don't understand why you're hung up on the Vita in this thread.

It's effectively the same unless you want to be extremely petty.

A bunch weren't native, and went as low as 640x384(!). But I guess you didn't mind then despite how poor it scales on the Vita's 540p screen. Also,

Damn that's sub-vita native resolution on that large screen? For bomberman?

And you brought up the Vita again after that. So why are you hung up on the Vita in this thread?

Skyzard

Banned
It's effectively the same unless you want to be extremely petty.

And you brought up the Vita again after that. So why are you hung up on the Vita in this thread?

You're completely derailing the thread saying less than x isn't actually less than x when people used sub-vita native as a reference point for the low-end of the resolution drop. That was part of my first post at the start of the whole thread!

Damn that's sub-vita native resolution on that large screen? For bomberman?

Not good enough imo, especially with the price they're charging.

Nice they sped it up but it's bomberman. It should be full resolution and a rock solid 60 fps.

That's been what I and others have said this whole time.

A bunch weren't native, and went as low as 640x384(!). But I guess you didn't mind then despite how poor it scales on the Vita's 540p screen. Also,

A bunch weren't, 4 went that low but like 90% were. The Vita was made in 2012. It was competing with the 3DS at the time, most games looked fantastic on it, with or without the OLED screen.

It's 2017 and this is Bomberman, not Assassin's Creed.

This is just not true. Most games that weren't indie/2D weren't native res and they all looked like shit because of it.

Uncharted GA let me know how bad it would be on day one :puke:

psvita8.jpg

Skyzard

Banned
This is just not true. Most games that weren't indie/2D weren't native res and they all looked like shit because of it.

Uncharted GA let me know how bad it would be on day one :puke:

psvita8.jpg

It's absolutely true, even if you ignore indies as people often liked to do on the handheld for some reason, maybe not as high as 90% then though.

If you shrink that image to the size of the Vita's screen and put yourself in front of the vita in 2012 playing that on a handheld, it was something special and a pretty great effort, which, to bring us back on-topic, is more than I can say for this.

Mega

Banned
You're completely derailing the thread saying less than x isn't actually less than x when people used sub-vita native as a reference point for the low-end of the resolution drop. That was part of my first post at the start of the whole thread!

I'm derailing the thread when YOU are the one who initially brought up the Vita, multiple times, in a Switch thread? And when you're the one who came up with the ridiculous statement that "Bomberman is sub Vita res" because of a trivial 540p vs 544p difference that can be chalked up the the Vita's weird aspect ratio? You're adding nothing by making such a ridiculous and pointless observation other than bringing your painfully obvious Vita bias into an unrelated thread.

Vinnk

There was like one subnative game I remember playing - LBP, and it was a fantastically made game which wasn't that far off native either. If there were others that I don't remember, it's probably because they were so close to native resolution that it was okay at the time.
But your Super Human Higher Perception!

A lot of Vita games ran at sub-native resolution. Many of them not getting very close to it at all. Games like Hot Shots Golf and Need for Speed actually ran at 640 by 384. Gravity Rush and Persona 4 were 720 by 408. But I never hear anyone talking about that. I am willing to bet you played a lot of Sub-Native rez Vita games without ever claiming they had a Vaseline filter. Most likely if you did notice it, it didn't disturb your game playing enough to mention it.

But I get it. People like what they like. So I'll let it rest.

If you shrink that image to the size of the Vita's screen and put yourself in front of the vita in 2012 playing that on a handheld, it was something special and a pretty great effort, which, to bring us back on-topic, is more than I can say for this.

No, it still looked bad. I was there on day one for Vita and Uncharted was so disappointing that I thought my Vita was defective. Jaggies for days and blurry as hell.

Don't know why you're trying to say sub-native games are OK on Vita, but on the Switch it's instantly some vaseline filtered baby shit. You are better than this man...

Skyzard

Banned
^ I don't know why vita keeps being brought up tbh.

It's an older fantastic handheld that was trying things that weren't being done anywhere else. Uncharted was blurry, but it still looked quite good with the oled and it was impressive having an Uncharted game with the same gameplay (plus screen wiping) as consoles on a handheld. There's different expectations when it's a 5 year gap aka now - and we're talking about bomberman here, not a game like uncharted.

Maybe people don't have those higher expectations if they skipped the Vita and are coming from something like the 3DS. That's great...

I'm derailing the thread when YOU are the one who initially brought up the Vita, multiple times, in a Switch thread? And when you're the one who came up with the ridiculous statement that "Bomberman is sub Vita res" because of a trivial 540p vs 544p difference that can be chalked up the the Vita's weird aspect ratio? You're adding nothing by making such a ridiculous and pointless observation other than bringing your painfully obvious Vita bias into an unrelated thread.

Okay, thanks for the info that it's probably only sub-vita native resolution because of the aspect ratio the Vita used.

The point is that's 540p! And that they dropped a hell of a lot of pixels too. As was detailed specifically for you here:

Huh? No, obviously that it's 4 pixel rows under Vita resolution is irrelevant. It's just a reference point.

Let me put it this way:

Prior to patch 1.3, handheld mode = 1280 x 720 = 921,600 pixels
After patch 1.3, handheld mode = 960 x 540 = 518,400 pixels.

You don't need more than a basic grasp of math to understand that's one HELL of a resolution drop.

And docked?

Prior to patch 1.3, docked mode = 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels
After patch 1.3, docked mode = 1280 x 720 = 921,600 pixels.

So in handheld mode, almost half the resolution has disappeared. And in docked mode? MORE than half the resolution has been wiped away.

You really think we're just trolling/kvetching over nothing here?

A lot of Vita games ran at sub-native resolution. Many of them not getting very close to it at all. Games like Hot Shots Golf and Need for Speed actually ran at 640 by 384. Gravity Rush and Persona 4 were 720 by 408. But I never hear anyone talking about that. I am willing to bet you played a lot of Sub-Native rez Vita games without ever claiming they had a Vaseline filter. Most likely if you did notice it, it didn't disturb your game playing enough to mention it.

Here's a list, you can check yourself. Quite a few were, more than most weren't. If it was sub-native, I would have noticed, and it depended on how good the game was and how bad it looked (aa? etc) on whether or not I would tolerate it. A lot of people did as it was doing something special at the time.

Mega

Banned
^You were fine playing practically SD-level 384p Vita but 540p of a Switch game you don't own is out of the question. Gotcha.

Yeah, he thinks he's being clever, but what he's doing here is really fucking transparent. It's fine not to care for this game or the shortcuts taken, but there's more going on here with his argument inconsistencies and the weird out of place Vita praising in a Switch thread.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can someone maybe go into technical detail, as to what makes this game so demanding?

The game isn't demanding, but the middleware Unity has overheads which require optimisations for it if you are going to get the best out of it.

This is clearly a low-budget game which had to make launch so that wasn't done. Post-launch they are doing their best to get it playing like a proper Bomberman game though, which is to be commended.

TLZ

Banned
You certainly seem frustrated judging by your post that was essentially a hyperbolic personal attack.

I have said numerous times it's not worth it for me as it is. Luckily there are youtube videos to base my decisions on (as I always do) so I don't need to purchase it first just to be disappointed.
Digital Foundry confirms it clearly - they specifically mention how massive of a drop it is in resolution, not that I need to be told that. But specifying 1080 to 720 is huge. I've never said I didn't want a higher framerate. That's great that they delivered 60fps for multiplayer but not without sacrificing even more.

If it's good enough for you and you think it's worth it, that's fine. I don't. And I'd rather just load up an emulator with a SNES bomberman or something if I felt like some couch multiplayer. Sure it's nice for convenience...but not that nice.

Currently, "vaseline filter" is used to describe an image that is more blurry. Which happens from resolution drops, especially to non native resolutions like 720p and 540p!

MK8 wiiu looked terrible on the tv. I played it on the gamepad because of that, where the image looked a lot cleaner. Not to mention it had great colours and other things to look at too...whereas bomberman doesn't.

I was with you all the way, until this :/

It looks that good to me to stop me from buying MK8D.

Seik

Banned
I just played a couple of matches online for the first time in handheld mode.

It is indeed a bit blurrier, it however is so much better to play at 60fps, especially for a Bomberman game. It feels legit online now.

Vinnk

Here's a list, you can check yourself. Quite a few were, more than most weren't. If it was sub-native, I would have noticed, and it depended on how good the game was and how bad it looked (aa? etc) on whether or not I would tolerate it. A lot of people did as it was doing something special at the time.

Your link doesn't work.

But I am not invested enough to dig through your post history, see which Vita games you previously mentioned you liked and cross reference it with this list.

You like what you like.

I can understand that. Sub-native can be tolerated if you like the game or the system it is being played on enough. That's a fair point. Also not one I am likely to change your opinion on.

Skyzard

Banned
Your link doesn't work.

But I am not invested enough to dig through your post history, see which Vita games you previously mentioned you liked and cross reference it with this list.

You like what you like.

I can understand that. Sub-native can be tolerated if you like the game or the system it is being played on enough. That's a fair point. Also not one I am likely to change your opinion on.

My bad, here it is: http://psp2roundup.blogspot.co.uk/p/ps-vita-games-by-resolution.html

It's probably not comprehensive.
There were popular games that weren't native res that I wasn't necessarily interested in and native res games that performed too poorly for me to be interested in, eg borderlands 2. But there's a load of native res games. Most of them, almost all of them if you're talking about indies, which suit handhelds fine so I don't see why not.

And they were trying something pretty new at the time. Pushing the system. Dynamic scaling on wipeout was something I could tolerate. It was insane having those visuals and the complexity of the game on a handheld.

If bomberman was pushing the system and had insane graphics and effects, maintained 60fps but dropped to 720p I would probably get behind it. But that's not happening here...720p/540p is a tough ask for those visuals, coming from someone who is used to a vita last gen. If you're coming from the 3DS, I can see it being alright.

I was with you all the way, until this :/

It looks that good to me to stop me from buying MK8D.

I'm usually pretty close to the TV. Would have probably been fine if I was further away. I want to test it out with the SD plasma I have too.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The story mode footage has blocks+actors for one source and just blocks for the other. Oddly the first one doesn't get applied to the floor.
Yep, noticed that as well. Quite weird.

Rodin

^ I don't know why vita keeps being brought up tbh.

It's an older fantastic handheld that was trying things that weren't being done anywhere else. Uncharted was blurry, but it still looked quite good with the oled and it was impressive having an Uncharted game with the same gameplay (plus screen wiping) as consoles on a handheld. There's different expectations when it's a 5 year gap aka now - and we're talking about bomberman here, not a game like uncharted.

We can talk about Zelda if you want then

Amazing how some people want to ignore the fact that MK8 runs at solid 720p60 in handheld mode and looks miles better than Bomberman. The Unity engine is trash and this was mention by DF a few times... Bomberman is NOT a great example of the Switch capabilities, if you want to look something great, take a look at Fast RMX, Zelda or Snake Pass, even Lego City looks really really good in handheld mode.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I agree with gameplay over gfx.
But the only thing this says is that the game is made like garbage if it cant even run 60 720p with those gfx

No buy

Skyzard

Banned

Amazing how some people want to ignore the fact that MK8 runs at solid 720p60 in handheld mode and looks miles better than Bomberman. The Unity engine is trash and this was mention by DF a few times... Bomberman is NOT a great example of the Switch capabilities, if you want to look something great, take a look at Fast RMX, Zelda or Snake Pass, even Lego City looks really really good in handheld mode.

Zelda is half the reason I'm saying Switch can do better. It was ported by Nintendo but not that quick and runs locked in handheld mode. Bomberman is a much simpler game and that it's not a great example of switch's capabilities has been my point.

It might be nice to be ignorant to fully enjoy games with issues but then I wouldn't be able to soak in all the visual candy when it is there. I wouldn't make that tradeoff.

Higher perception has its own rewards, and I'm glad to have it.

Played a long session at my friend's house again and it feels so much better. The game feels so much better now for me and I'm glad my lack of higher perception hasn't made me notice the Vaseline filter due to my inferior eyes (rolls eyes).

Yes, the resolution drop sucks, yes it's noticeable(especially on a 120 inch projector), but the gameplay feels so much better now that I can excuse it. This is a series built on gameplay and presentation elements, not really cutting edge graphics and for that it's forgivable to me as I value the feel of 60FPS in this series way more. I would like them to patch the game with upgraded presentation elements. I know it won't happen but I wish it would because I still prefer the look of Saturn Bomberman's presentation overall.

sorry but best bomberman will be always this:

bomberman-stadium.jpg
Bows to the King

Arkam

Played some lcoal MP games and didnt notice any degradation in visuals in handheld mode. So the drop in resolution didn't detract from noticeable visual quality.

Top Bottom