• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry "we can now finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixlexic

Banned
The one thing that makes me not trust any of these sites is they all were flat out wrong about comparing the wii u CPU to last gen CPUs and now they look like fools when when both orbis and Durango have similar CPU builds.

we know the wii u is going to weaker. Why keep saying the same thing over and over?

Why yes, yes they are. What's your point?

They add no additional information outside of their click bait comments.

Their is so much more on the chip that is unknown. Presenting the information as final when the people are still figuring out the chip is very unprofessional.

DF is a little premature, but confirmation bias.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
"We regurgitate GAF threads for clicks"

-- Eurogamer

1-D_FTW

It's pretty amazing that Nintendo would just hand out development kits and leave out the technical specs. Why handicap the development process when these things eventually get sleuthed anyways.

Wow

For me though the biggest barrier to entry is still the lack of must have games. Which when it comes down to it is all that matters.

Yeah, the hardware doesn't as matter as much to me as the games; fortunately some good ones look to be coming, but Nintendo's never been about pushing the graphical envelope to me, and it shouldn't have to.

tkscz

Terrible article. Don't give them clicks for this shit. Go here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511628 and you will see why this is, a piece of shit, sensational bait'n'click.

Ok, I hate to brake this to you and everyone else pointing this out but, no one who comes to this thread will care. Like someone said on the WUST, most of gaf will take the worst of it and only go with that. I know the DF article is missing/tossing out information, you know it, and a few others know it. Let's just leave it at that and let this thread continue on.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
However, the 16 TMUs at 550MHz and texture cache improvements found in RV770 do elevate the capabilities of this hardware beyond the Xenos GPU in the Xbox 360 - 1.5 times the raw shader power sounds about right.

All I can think of after reading that is: Super Mario Galaxy 3 is going to look so damn sweet.

Now, once we get the first gen hardware out of the way and a few more first party titles on show, I'll be jumping on board. I'm indifferent to the price, it can stay the same for all I care.

freddy

Banned
And now the shameless vultures descend to sip the blood left over from the good work done by a few members of this board. Awaiting the mega-controversial follow-up from Kotaku tomorrow.

Zia

Wait, some people dislike Digital Foundry? Objective analysis is never a bad thing.

I've said a few times now that the Wii U isn't a proper next-gen console. As others have said, it doesn't mean that there won't be some beautiful games on the platform but this tech, with Nintendo's last-century approach to online and a complete lack of "system sellers," at that price...

Sad stuff.

Wait, some people dislike Digital Foundry? Objective analysis is never a bad thing.

I've said a few times now that the Wii U isn't a proper next-gen console. As others have said, it doesn't mean that there won't be some beautiful games in the platform but this tech, with Nintendo's last-century approach to online, with a conplete lack of "system sellers," at that price...

Sad stuff.
Their "analysis" is not that great actually. It's regurgitation of whats in the Wii U GPU die photo and leaving info out.

Rootbeer

Banned
Even if the Wii U were on a hardware par with the next ps or xbox, i'd probably stick to those platforms for my multi-platform needs (when PC is not an option, that is) simply because of the better multiplayer online experience and achievement system. I bought a Wii U for its exclusives and I'm content if that's all I ever use it for. I wish they'd given us something a little beefier but what ya gonna do. Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The only solution for Nintendo and its developers is to start pouring out (hopefully great) exclusives on it, so we can stop debating this "what technical generation is it" stuff. If its hardware don't fit in third party developers plans, I have my trusted PC at the ready for multi-platforms.

According to DF the ruling is now final, anyway.

mantidor

As it always happens with GAF-> internet -> GAF, the important things get lost. I would have expected from DF to add something, instead of selectively repeating what the thread here already said, because basically, I still have no idea what to expect graphically from the WiiU.

Well depending on how accessible the Wii U is, there is always the chance for a downgrade port for the Wii U of high-class Orbis/Durango games.

Other than that Nintendo is counting on unique experiences with their unique controller, but 3rd parties would have to set up special projects for something like that and many of them are not convinced yet, given Wii U's slow start.

But take Ubi for a good example. They are constantly coming with fresh, unique ideas.

x-Lundz-x

Not a good thing to hear. At this point, the Wii U just needs to prove itself by delivering quality software, then all the talk of "not next-gen" will cease.

No, when the only thing Wii U has is first party titles and no third party support its not going to change a thing.

Mael

Ok, I hate to brake this to you and everyone else pointing this out but, no one who comes to this thread will care. Like someone said on the WUST, most of gaf will take the worst of it and only go with that. I know the DF article is missing/tossing out information, you know it, and a few others know it. Let's just leave it at that and let this thread continue on.

So in short let ignorance rule?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I don't have a WiiU yet (ended up canceling my preorder... I believe I made the right decision) ill pick one up when maro or Zelda hit.

As far as the abilities, I have played with one in store. The graphics don't make me want to start cutting myself like the Wii so I guess that's good enough.

Just give me a lot of first party games and wii-U exclusives. I'm not interested playing ports on this if i can play a much better version on another console.

sangreal

Not being picky, but this:

Is purely an assumption unless they've had hands on with the development kit and papers.
Which they haven't. Just saying.

they almost certainly have seen the papers. they tend to fly around the web (hence all the leaks)

Even I have seen internal devkit papers (not from Nintendo) and I don't even work in the industry

It's a good thing I bought a WiiU for the games, and not the graphics.

I'm sure I will not be disappointed.

Then you'll be disappointed when all major third parties develope for Orango and don't bother with the WiiU. The system will be dependant on Nintendo first party again.

pixlexic

Banned
Because people like to know what they are buying with their money.

Ah damn you edited your post...

You rather buy something with the potential to blow you away graphically than something that you know will have games you want to play and look good?
:/

Wynnebeck

Banned
GAF>internet>GAF but it's basically what we already know. Nintendo developers will find ways to make visually appealing graphics for their games but in no way is it going to come close to standing with the HD twins.

1-D_FTW

As it always happens with GAF-> internet -> GAF, the important things get lost. I would have expected from DF to add something, instead of selectively repeating what the thread here already said, because basically, I still have no idea what to expect graphically from the WiiU.

I know there's a lot of complaining in there, but this is the same forum that had a bunch of posters spending a year angrily denying the Wii U would be inferior to PS4/720. The explanations offered up make perfect sense. Of course they're gonna need some GPU stuff for Wii (since it's not backwards compatible like the CPU). And of course they're gonna need silicon for the streaming technology. Even Nvidia has silicon on their 6XX cards for streaming with the SHIELD. If there was some great secret sauce involved, it surely would have revealed itself by now.

faridmon

Another Generation, another situation where 3rd parties will avoid the consoles. Dammit! Now Nintendo have to make sure they make appealing software down the line and increase their output at the same time.

What were they thinking?

Personally, I don't mind the graphical diffrences between the Wii U and the PS4/720, but its important to have a quantitative output on the Wii U.

No, when the only thing Wii U has is first party titles and no third party support its not going to change a thing.

I see this mentioned a lot.. but you have to wonder about this statement...

Why would 3rd parties want to drop a lot more money on the next gen systems, when their is already an install base of 140+Million PS3/360s?

la_briola

...but people will now cite this article for weeks to come. I understand your point though.

DieH@rd

Banned
I would not call console that has "little better" specs [if we dont count weaker CPU] than PS360 nextgen, but sure... I will tolerate people calling it that way for the next 15 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom